2016 52+joker convention in Shaumburg, IL

Have questions or comments about the site?
Cbkimble
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Decks Owned: 363

2016 52+joker convention in Shaumburg, IL

Unread post by Cbkimble »

It will be held at the Hyatt Regency in Schaumburg, IL. The hotel is about 12 miles northwest of the Chicago O'Hare Airport. The dates are Thursday Oct. 20th to Saturday the 22nd.

The club voted at the 2015 convention to shorten the convention to two days rather than three. Orientation will now be held Thursday evening rather Wednesday. There will be two full days, Friday and Saturday, rather than a full Thursday, half day Friday, and full day Saturday.

The hotel price is $99 for double occupanycy and $95 per night for single. This price is good for 3 nights on either side of the convention also.
ecNate
Decks Owned: 400

Re: 2016 52+joker convention in Shaumburg, IL

Unread post by ecNate »

I'm actually considering going to this one since it's close for me. A good trial to see if I would be interested in such events with lower travel costs. Nice!
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin
White Whale: OG USPCC Vanity Fair [mint]
Decks Owned: 7800

Unread post by Mike Ratledge »

Cbkimble wrote:It will be held at the Hyatt Regency in Schaumburg, IL. The hotel is about 12 miles northwest of the Chicago O'Hare Airport. The dates are Thursday Oct. 20th to Saturday the 22nd.
Lordy... They could have picked a better location, not that Chicago is awful, but I suppose it could have been Detroit.

Jeez, that's a hard sell, and I was hoping on Lorenzo making it for this year. We'll see, I guess.
>Mike<
"You can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself"
They say "Ignorance is bliss". Obviously, some people are much happier than others...

Members are encouraged to
Show Us Your Cards!

Our UC2021 Decks entitled
"Odd Fellows"
by Lorenzo Gaggiotti / @Stockholm17
Coming soon: AKA
«Eighth Annual Decks»

UC members help maintain Portfolio52
THE Playing Card Database Online
Contact ecNate for details and access

UC2019 "Seventh Annual Decks"
by Montenzi Design
Funded 207% on KS: HERE

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

Insert disclaimer here...
All information posted as fact is accurate at the time of posting to the best of my knowledge.
chach
White Whale: Vietnam Era Secret Weapon
Decks Owned: 0

Unread post by chach »

Chicago is a great city. Unfortunately that time of year the Cubs are way out of the question of playing anywhere near October and the Blackhawks may be around of lucky. ;)

My question is when will there be one on the left coast?
WTB/WTT: Vietnam Era Bicycle Secret Weapon Deck
Cbkimble

Re: 2016 52+joker convention in Shaumburg, IL (wap)

I believe they had one in Vegas a few years ago. The biggest issue is getting rooms at an affordable rate, considering what everyone is able and willing to spend. I could be wrong, but I think a majority of attending members live closer east.

Dallas was a big consideration when voted for at the convention.
Feeding the addiction one deck at a time.
4.of.Clubs

Unread post by 4.of.Clubs »

I have never been and am thinking about going this year. Are there any requirements to attend or will it be cool to just cruise around? Do you have to be a member of 52+ Joker?

I see the registration is $100, but that's for tables right? How much is it for patrons?

Sorry for the dumb questions!
----------> Check out the decks I have for sale! <----------
----------> Also check out my Trade List and Wish List, maybe we can make a deal! <----------
ecNate

Unread post by ecNate »

4.of.Clubs wrote:I have never been and am thinking about going this year. Are there any requirements to attend or will it be cool to just cruise around? Do you have to be a member of 52+ Joker?

I see the registration is $100, but that's for tables right? How much is it for patrons?

Hopefully somebody here will correct me, or you can go ask at the club's forum site, but from watching the news segment from last year and looking at other content I believe this is correct:

Registration fee is for a sell table
All 52+J members get full access to seminar sessions, meet & greets, etc and access from the start, including chance to reserve a room in the block
Any member of the public can visit to buy and look around for free on certain final day(s)

I'm still considering driving down since it's close to me this time, but have a few possible conflicts. An single overnighter is certainly possible though.
Cbkimble

4.of.Clubs wrote:I have never been and am thinking about going this year. Are there any requirements to attend or will it be cool to just cruise around? Do you have to be a member of 52+ Joker?

Yes, you have to be a member but membership is fairly cheap. Here's all the information below.
WHAT: 52 Plus Joker's Annual Playing Card Collector's Convention
WHEN: (Thursday) October 20th - (Saturday) October 22nd, 2016
WHERE: Schaumburg, IL (Hyatt Regency - 12 miles northwest of O'Hare Airport)
COST: $100 registration (includes your trading table) // $50 for guest to attend banquet.

Meet legendary collectors & designers, hobnob with premier card manufacturers, and talk playing cards with other enthusiasts all night long while staying at the Hyatt Regency. The dates for our convention are Thursday October 20th to Saturday October 22nd, 2016.

Register For 52 Plus Joker's Annual Convention - Chicago

While our schedule is not yet finalized, we expect to unveil the 2016 club deck and several others during the Expert Playing Card Co. reception, have three exciting speakers, lots of trading, two fun auctions, raffles, closing buffet banquet, etc. Click here for a pdf of the tentative schedule.

We have a terrific rate for our hotel - $99 per night for double occupancy ($95 single)! The rate is vaild for all nights booked during the convention plus three nights on either side of those dates subject to availability. We also receive a 10% discount on all meals in the hotel restaurant, Fresh 1800. Click here to book your room.

Self-park on the grounds for free.
WiFi available in the bedrooms at no charge.
Complimentary area shuttle service.
Restaurants within a two-block walk.
Huge Shopping Mall within a two-block walk.
Hyatt Reward points & 24 hour use of the Fitness Center.
We hope to see a record number of you at this great location this October.
Cbkimble

OK everyone, we're just a little over 3 months away from the convention. This is an awesome event. There are usually half a dozen deck artists that are there. Lots of decks to buy and registration includes a table to sell, if you have anything to sell. Presentations are nice. The rooms are always top of the line. There's a live auction, a raffle, and a silent auction during the banquet(which is part of the registration fee) on Saturday night. They are asking that anyone who plans on attending please register by September 18 so that they can give the hotel a fairly accurate account of the number of members attending. Check out the previous post for more informatoin, and if you have any questions please feel free to PM me. If I don't have the answer, I will get the answer ASAP. Hope to see you there.
ecNate

Unread post by ecNate »

FYI - The registration page also now has a tentative schedule. http://www.52plusjoker.org/dnn/Conventi ... fault.aspx
Cbkimble

Re: 2016 52+joker convention in Shaumburg, IL (wap)

Hey everyone, don't forget about the convention. Still a little more than a month away so you still have time to make your reservations. All the information is in the comments above. I will unfortunately be unable to attend due to my work schedule but am here to answer questions is you have any. They will release the 3rd annual 52+joker deck and I know of one more deck that will be released.