Divine Art Playing Cards

Designing a deck? Need input? Show us here!
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Divine Art Playing Cards

Unread post by guru »

Hi All,

I'm glad to share with you all a few draft designs of card that I've been working for last few months with my team. This is inspired from Kalamkari & Sanjhi, two of the traditional Indian folk art & crafts. Each card is custom illustrated & hand drawn and we interacted with a few Kalmakari & Sanjhi artisans to get their feedback during the design process.

For the suits earthy Kalamkari inspired colours were chosen - deep red and olive green instead of the usual black and red.
The motifs take inspiration from the use of dots in Kalamkari and curved forms and the detached elements are inspired by Sanjhi art.

Gods, Goddesses and their "vahanas" or vehicles form the perfect trio for face cards.

Krishna_suit_003.PNG
hearts_draft_006.PNG
clubs_ace.PNG
clubs_ace.PNG (28.79 KiB) Viewed 3034 times
We're working on the tuck box design at the moment, and plan is to launch it through Kickstarter. I'm a playing card enthusiast but never had thought that I'll be doing this at any juncture of my life, and the whole design process has been a great learning experience. Please feel free to provide feedback, comments and/or suggestions.

PS: I'm also working on Ganjifa card game (130 cards per deck, round in design) based on Dashavatar. It was almost finished but we received the feedback that the traditional game play is complex and doesn't look strategic enough. The team went back to the drawing board, and have come up with another game that should cater to the masses (hopefully), and it is being play tested. I'll be sharing details on that card game soon.

Regards,
Sunish
shimmering
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

Re: Traditional Indian crafts inspired deck

Unread post by shimmering »

Hey, just a word of encouragement for your Ganjifa project. I knew of Ganjifa from the story of the history of playing cards, but had no idea until checking just now after reading your post how unavailable the cards seem to be outside India. It looks like someone ran a kickstarter project for Ganjifa cards a couple of years ago, but outside that project (which is now available on Amazon I think), there's not so much. Probably obvious, but if you go ahead and run such a kickstarter project, it would be pretty much obligatory I think to include a rulebook for games that can be played with these cards. Good luck...
ecNate
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Decks Owned: 400

Unread post by ecNate »

Personally I just am not interested in Asian or Indian themed artwork, but the art is well done here. Nice pip design as well, but not sure on the extra dots for the clubs, it works on the hearts though. What we really need to see here is a tuck and card back though. Have you considered coloring in the courts? Just curious how that might look different. One thing you should consider changing is the background frame on the court cards because that is a bleed to the edge design which can then be seen in a deck from the side view when stacked together or in somebody's hand, really ruins the playability if you are concerned with retaining that. I also assume the red/olive frame backgrounds are something that will NOT appear on the cards themselves and just part of the design layout, because that would have the same issue. I'm also not one to be a fan of using colors for pips other than red/black, but at least there is a clear contrast between the two.

Good luck!
intlgrrl
White Whale: MAD DECK by Ozlem Olcer
Decks Owned: 256

Unread post by intlgrrl »

I personally, like what you have so far. The face cards are really unique. I'd like to see what else you can come up with. I personally, would love to see more culturally inspired playing cards, besides the regular standard face cards.
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

ecNate wrote:Personally I just am not interested in Asian or Indian themed artwork, but the art is well done here. Nice pip design as well, but not sure on the extra dots for the clubs, it works on the hearts though. What we really need to see here is a tuck and card back though. Have you considered coloring in the courts? Just curious how that might look different. One thing you should consider changing is the background frame on the court cards because that is a bleed to the edge design which can then be seen in a deck from the side view when stacked together or in somebody's hand, really ruins the playability if you are concerned with retaining that. I also assume the red/olive frame backgrounds are something that will NOT appear on the cards themselves and just part of the design layout, because that would have the same issue. I'm also not one to be a fan of using colors for pips other than red/black, but at least there is a clear contrast between the two.

Good luck!
Hi ecNate,

Thanks for the feedback.

On the playability front, we've tried to incorporate the feedback given by Mike and others, and have included the indices on both ends for all except the court cards.
changes_002_Krishna.PNG
changes_002_Krishna.PNG (177.3 KiB) Viewed 2914 times
For the common back and tuck box design, the tree of life from Kalamkari art was chosen and the
peacock form. The reason these two elements were chosen was becuase they are recurring elements in
both Sanjhi as well as Kalamkari art forms.
back_004.PNG
back_004.PNG (159.93 KiB) Viewed 2914 times
The background, motifs, colors etc. were chosen after keeping in mind both of the art forms, Kalamkari & Sanjhi. The red/olive frame backgrounds are also intended to be part of the cards and not just design layout. The deck's value proposition is to be a collectible owing to the inspiration from two major traditional art forms, Kalamkari & Sanjhi. If you can elaborate on the issues w.r.t. playability, that will be really helpful.
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

shimmering wrote:Hey, just a word of encouragement for your Ganjifa project. I knew of Ganjifa from the story of the history of playing cards, but had no idea until checking just now after reading your post how unavailable the cards seem to be outside India. It looks like someone ran a kickstarter project for Ganjifa cards a couple of years ago, but outside that project (which is now available on Amazon I think), there's not so much. Probably obvious, but if you go ahead and run such a kickstarter project, it would be pretty much obligatory I think to include a rulebook for games that can be played with these cards. Good luck...
Yeah...a rulebook for different games that people used to play with these cards as well as any new game invented or identified, that can be played through these cards is already on my list.
NCarter
Deck Artist
Deck Artist
Decks Owned: 13

Unread post by NCarter »

I would have though as an Indian themed deck it would be full of colour, maybe mix in some Mendi patterns to give it some flare?
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

NCarter wrote:I would have though as an Indian themed deck it would be full of colour, maybe mix in some Mendi patterns to give it some flare?
I'd have loved to do some Mehandi patterns, but, since this deck is based on traditional arts: Kalamkari & Sanjhi, we felt the need to be true to the art forms, and considerable time went into researching these forms.
TGunitedcardists

Unread post by TGunitedcardists »

No disrespect, but the only thing I like is the card back.

The number cards are not playable. Get rid of the greyed out hearts etc. If the card is an "8" only have eight pips, not eight red and nine greyed out. That is by far the worst artistic decision you've made.

The colors you've chosen just don't work. The court cards don't have a card feel.

Suggestion: Get rid of the yellow/red colors on the front, and stick to white. Improve the number cards. Tweek the card back. As of now, it looks pretty good, but a little too much black space.
Räpylätassu
White Whale: Black Palekh from 1937
Decks Owned: 700

Unread post by Räpylätassu »

I second TGunitedcardists on pretty much everything. The color does not work at all. Neither the pips or the aces. I'd say that do not scrap those court cards right away, I think that they could work with tweaking.

The back is not pretty good. It's splendid in my eyes. I don't say that it couldn't be tweaked a bit but when you have a back that is in the same series as some of the work the best designers in the world (Like Lotrek and Lorenzo) have done, it tells you have the talent to make the improvments on the rest. I would love to see that back in gold foil. It really is splendid.
Left my heart in SIERRA MADRE

"Finding it... that's not the hard part. It's letting go."

"One makes a trip by day, but by night one sets out on a journey." -Moominmamma

I dream of a world where wars are fought only by having dance offs. I also dream that a Finnish playing card designer would exist. The former seems more likely to happend.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a penguin. Have you ever met a sad person with a penguin?

Are lobsters mermaids to scorpions?

"I did not hit her, it's not true, it's bullsh*t, I did not hit her, I did naaaht! Oh hai Mark!"

MY TRADELIST

MY TOP 150 DECKS

MY PORTFOLIO52 PAGE
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
Cardist: Yes
Magician: Yes
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

guru wrote:and [we] have included the indices on both ends for all except the court cards.
That's like saying "We're going to vaccinate children, but only 80% of them. It'll probably be fine."

Which doesn't make any sense. Consistency is key when it comes to card design.
- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

Hi TGunitedcardists , MagikFingerz & Räpylätassu ,

Appreciate your critique on the given design. It help get new learnings, explore mindset of collectors and people who are into cards.

Sorry, I was busy with Ganjifa project for last couple of days, and thus, could not look into this thread as such.

But, considering the genesis of the concept and the inspiration taken from Indian Mythology, and traditional art & crafts like Kalamkari & Sanjhi, makes it pretty much difficult to go with the given suggestions. In fact, similar comments were received during the design process and, still, the team & I found it to adhere to the inspirations taken while keeping keeping the research in mind.

Allow me to explain. The first disclaimer I'd like to make is I'm just a playing card enthusiast. It was only through Kickstarter & Indiegogo, that I was able to see the brilliant work done by artists & designers in this space starting 2013. In fact, some of the the old & upcoming card designs that I've come across in this forum are just "sheer brilliance", if I think of defining what I've seen in a word or two. I see a lot of learning opportunities for a no. of years, that keeps me excited.

Now, coming back to the design- the colors used are an ode to the traditional colors used centuries ago by the artisans involved in Kalamkari & Sanjhi. Giving it a new background like white would lead to not being true to the art forms and the concept.

Since, there are 2 crafts involved here, the intent was to have a balance across both of them. The greyed out hearts and subtle design element in there is taken from Sanjhi. Unmarried girls used to make similar patterns in cowdung and paste it on village walls, with the intent to entice Lord Krishna. If I think about it now, it is really difficult to do anything on cowdung except making those patterns like you see on greyed out pips.

Since almost every Indian folk art form is based on Hindu mythology, for the Kings, Queens and Jacks of each suit various Gods and Goddesses as well as their mounts
(vahanas), were taken as inspiration. Indices on only one side has got two meanings.....

1. There is only one way to hold these cards right owing to the religious significance and sentiments of Hindus.
2. The quality like consistency, equality etc. has been missing in Hindu rituals & traditions particularly around worshipping idols in temples. It is just now, in 2016 that even the higher court has taken cognizance of this fact and rulings are being made to allow women inside some of the temples, as an example.

http://www.firstpost.com/india/right-to ... 18778.html

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/a ... reme-court

The inconsistency between court cards showing Gods and the number cards is symbolic of such practices.

Lastly, I do think that playability factor was not on the mind during the concept inception phase, and that may be the reason of few of the comments made in the above posts.

I do hope it clarifies some of the design decisions taken during the development. A 6- page booklet has also been readied that gives a background on the art forms and some of the information mentioned above.

Please do keep the comments coming. It will help in taking all of the feedback into considerations in the future projects from Guru Playing Card Company.

Thank you.

Regards,
Sunish
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

Hi All,

I'm back again on this after a long hiatus.

I canceled Guru Ganjifa campaign and working on the feedback received from different quarters. There has been an interest in the deck from two Playing Card museums (Germany & France) apart from certain section of backers and I will relaunch it for sure in future.

Anyways, this thread is not related to that but to another deck that was in progress. I've gone through the feedback and this playing cards deck has been updated with your feedback.

Here is one court card. The subject is Lakshmi - a Hindu Goddess of wealth, fortune, and prosperity and is worshipped by millions the world over.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lakshmi
sq_Lakshmi.png
sq_Lakshmi.png (370.35 KiB) Viewed 2666 times
That being said, I did get a prototype deck printed through MPC with the old designs ( check earlier threads). Though the design has been changed, still I am interested in the comments pertaining to playability factor:
One thing you should consider changing is the background frame on the court cards because that is a bleed to the edge design which can then be seen in a deck from the side view when stacked together or in somebody's hand, really ruins the playability if you are concerned with retaining that. I also assume the red/olive frame backgrounds are something that will NOT appear on the cards themselves and just part of the design layout, because that would have the same issue.
I didn't face any issue with playability as mentioned above, and neither did others who played with the deck. Still, it is possible that this might have got overlooked during the game session. I'd appreciate if ecNate or someone else can elaborate on the above comment. This will also act as a future reference.

Regards,
Sunish
JuFiN
White Whale: Delirium Signature
Decks Owned: 1000

Unread post by JuFiN »

Hey, cool deck! wanted to join in with my feedback. I actually really liked the original design or the number cards with the greyed out pips, just have to make sure the the red is really deep so there isnt too much issue in reading the cards during play. For the courts definitely need the letters on both corners, and I would prefer mirrored art, but the art itself is beautiful and I like it a lot. One sided courts are OK but if you could mirror it without changing the art too much that would be great. I for one prefer the old courts to the new one you just posted (except for the obvious improvement of having the letter on both ends). I dont know anything about this style of art but the first version looks more authentic from an untrained eye.

Really unfortunate the ganjifa deck didnt fund its a really cool concept and ill be here to back the second time around!

Regardless im looking forward to updates on both of these projects and will follow along eagerly!
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

JuFiN wrote:Hey, cool deck! wanted to join in with my feedback. I actually really liked the original design or the number cards with the greyed out pips, just have to make sure the the red is really deep so there isnt too much issue in reading the cards during play. For the courts definitely need the letters on both corners, and I would prefer mirrored art, but the art itself is beautiful and I like it a lot. One sided courts are OK but if you could mirror it without changing the art too much that would be great. I for one prefer the old courts to the new one you just posted (except for the obvious improvement of having the letter on both ends). I dont know anything about this style of art but the first version looks more authentic from an untrained eye.

Really unfortunate the ganjifa deck didnt fund its a really cool concept and ill be here to back the second time around!

Regardless im looking forward to updates on both of these projects and will follow along eagerly!
Hi,

Well, I'm pretty sure you're going to love the new designs more, just wait for previews of few other cards,card back and tuckbox.
Court cards will be one-sided though as I did try to look at both mirrored and one-sided options, and one-sided works better here.

Thanks for the follow and your suggestions, btw. Please keep them coming.

Regards,
Sunish
shermjack
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Unread post by shermjack »

Definitely like the looks of this so far! Though I prefer 2 way courts, I think that the QoS is done well and would like to see more :D
A deck a day helps keep the addiction at bay!

Check out my collection on Instagram @caratcasecreations
Räpylätassu
White Whale: Black Palekh from 1937
Decks Owned: 700

Unread post by Räpylätassu »

Okay, I love that new Queen of Spades! I hope that you will keep the original back, maybe with some tiny tweaks.

You got my curiosity, as good jokers and aces and you will have my attention.
Left my heart in SIERRA MADRE

"Finding it... that's not the hard part. It's letting go."

"One makes a trip by day, but by night one sets out on a journey." -Moominmamma

I dream of a world where wars are fought only by having dance offs. I also dream that a Finnish playing card designer would exist. The former seems more likely to happend.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a penguin. Have you ever met a sad person with a penguin?

Are lobsters mermaids to scorpions?

"I did not hit her, it's not true, it's bullsh*t, I did not hit her, I did naaaht! Oh hai Mark!"

MY TRADELIST

MY TOP 150 DECKS

MY PORTFOLIO52 PAGE
TGunitedcardists

The Queen of Spades Version 2 looks so much better on many levels. The white background is better. The subtle design behind the Queen works fine. The spade pip itself is OK, but something more readable would be better. But the way you have it isn't a deal breaker. I also prefer mirrored court cards, but one way court cards aren't a total deal breaker either.

I just wanted to say it's a good restart.

I think your previous back design doesn't need to change much. A color change might be all that's needed. A black and white design might work really well.
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

Another draft of more court cards below.

sk_Vishnu.png
sj_Garuda.png
dk_Shiva.png
dq_Parvati.png
RichK
Decks Owned: 250

Unread post by RichK »

guru,

I hate to be the negative one on this post but to me your new art has a clipart look to it and you just flood filled in areas with color, missing a tiny circle or edge here and there. I can't draw to save my life so if these are hand done and not finished artwork I wholeheartedly apologize.
Move on, nothing to see here.
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

RichK wrote:guru,

I hate to be the negative one on this post but to me your new art has a clipart look to it and you just flood filled in areas with color, missing a tiny circle or edge here and there. I can't draw to save my life so if these are hand done and not finished artwork I wholeheartedly apologize.

Hi Rich,

No need to apologize as this feedback will definitely help in sprucing up the deck. May be, the color palette needs to be given another look.

Regards,
Sunish
sprouts1115
Deck Artist
Deck Artist
Decks Owned: 50

Unread post by sprouts1115 »

MagikFingerz wrote:
guru wrote:and [we] have included the indices on both ends for all except the court cards.
That's like saying "We're going to vaccinate children, but only 80% of them. It'll probably be fine."

That is some information right there...

guru - I see you have one sided courts. That is fine, but your background image which is like chalk scratches on a backboard should be at least the same as the reverse of the card... You are trying to hide the one-wayness toward the center of the card. When it's out like that it's in the fan which is not good...
Attachments
Screenshot 2013-12-19 23.16.34.png
Screenshot 2013-12-19 23.16.34.png (366.96 KiB) Viewed 2146 times
RussellSprouts
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

sprouts1115 wrote:
MagikFingerz wrote:

That is some information right there...

guru - I see you have one sided courts. That is fine, but your background image which is like chalk scratches on a backboard should be at least the same as the reverse of the card... You are trying to hide the one-wayness toward the center of the card. When it's out like that it's in the fan which is not good...
The earlier quote was on a different aspect that has been taken care of in the latest design but thanks for giving your view on the fan. Will take a look once the other priorities are taken care of.

Regards,
Sunish
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

Here are the results of another iteration on the cards.

DK-02.png
DQ-02.png
J-01.png

Regards,
Sunish
TGunitedcardists

The spacing is wrong with the Jack of Diamonds. The diamond underneath the "J" is touching. I'd play with the spacing for all the court cards.

I find the colors you've used seem on the dull side, but that's just me. Others might like it more. I think these one way court cards fit in the theme of your deck. That's my feedback.

You are very persistent. Keep on keeping on.
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

TGunitedcardists wrote:The spacing is wrong with the Jack of Diamonds. The diamond underneath the "J" is touching. I'd play with the spacing for all the court cards.

I find the colors you've used seem on the dull side, but that's just me. Others might like it more. I think these one way court cards fit in the theme of your deck. That's my feedback.

You are very persistent. Keep on keeping on.
Yes, the spacing and positioning needs to be worked out on all cards and is going to be taken care once something closer to final artwork is reached. Thinking to experiment with 4 sided courts too.

Here is a brief on the reasoning behind the colors being used here.
COLOURTHEORY DAPC.jpg
shermjack
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Unread post by shermjack »

I am sorry to say, but just because the colors you have chosen are tied in well with your theme, it doesn't mean that they go together well...in this case, imho, they do not...I do not like the new variation :? and think that the previous one was much better.
A deck a day helps keep the addiction at bay!

Check out my collection on Instagram @caratcasecreations
JuFiN
White Whale: Delirium Signature
Decks Owned: 1000

Unread post by JuFiN »

Yea, the very first original concept with some changes for playability would have been perfect, these new versions I feel are getting further and further away from the mark for me. :/
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

JuFiN wrote:Yea, the very first original concept with some changes for playability would have been perfect, these new versions I feel are getting further and further away from the mark for me. :/
Thanks for saying that but I believe the new variation is doing more justice to the theme than the original. In fact, I've the prototype deck of the original design available printed via MPC, and getting it in hand made me realize that a no.of things were missing. I'm also observing that somehow the colors are appearing a bit different on the forum. Anyways, I'm thankful for the review comments, and considering it a work in progress, you would be seeing regular updates here. I'm also thinking to get a few cards printed on professional stock from a local printer here, just to see how these appear in print.
RichK
Decks Owned: 250

Unread post by RichK »

guru,

I agree with shermjack that the colors don't need to match the theme. I'm sure you're working in CMKY bu the pictures you posted look way too bright and are painful t look at. I liked the vines and wavy lines you had on your previous try. I also agree with juFiN that you seem to be going backwards and removing and changing elements that worked to something inferior.

Sorry for the harsh opinions.
Move on, nothing to see here.