Playing Cards Durability

Anything and everything playing cards!
Flinston

Playing Cards Durability

Unread post by Flinston »

For how long do your cards last on average?
I bought two decks of Bee playing cards, and after a month of using them I noticed that there is a visible bent to them, that their corners are dirty and that some of the cards have these kind of "brakes" in the middle of them, stretching from the side. Also one of the cards has a small burst on the side, which is why I cannot perform a one handed shuffle with this deck anymore because one of the cards always gets attached to the burst.
I need to say that I have been putting this deck through extensive use, as I used it every day either for practice or just to keep my hands occupied with something.
Is it normal for cards to last this much? Am I doing something wrong? Please, share your expierience.
Thanks in advance
sinjin7
Cardist: Yes
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Decks Owned: 1500

Re: Playing Cards Durability

Unread post by sinjin7 »

The durability of cards depends on the user. If you're careful with your cards and wash you hands before each use, then your deck could last years. But if you're really rough with your cards and never wash your hands before using them, you can wear out a brand new deck within a matter of days.

The durability of a deck is determined in large part to the quality of the paper stock. In general, the thicker the card stock, the longer the deck can last. However, thickness alone doesn't always mean a quality card stock. How much pressure is used to compress the card stock is as important. Having said all this, just stick to the major card manufacturers (USPCC, EPCC, LPCC, Cartamundi, etc) because they pretty much all use good stock. Good stock equal more durable decks that last longer.

Since cardists often manipulate cards by bending and springing them in extreme ways, its helpful to use some type of a card clip, preferably a Porper clip, so the cards can be "straightened" out after use. Use of a good card clip when storing the cards after use is another way you can increase the longevity of your cards.