NPH Puzzle Prize

Anything and everything playing cards!
shaitani
Cardist: Yes
Collector: Yes
White Whale: Artistic Spring

NPH Puzzle Prize

Unread post by shaitani »

I'd like to start by pointing out that I have not yet heard of anyone receiving a prize for completing the Theory 11 NPH Puzzle, despite a very literal indication that something would be 'headed our way'.

If T11 has forgotten about it, or intends not to do anything about it, or things got delayed or whatever, it would be nice of them to just tell us, I wasn't expecting anything for free when I was doing the puzzle anyway, I just want some damned closure. And what I don't like them doing is deleting threads on their forums where people ask about it. I've been waiting for a response from T11 on at least 2 threads that end up getting deleted. This seems very shady, yet I'm sure they'd say that people were "spoiling" aspects of the puzzle by talking about it or something.

It's also possible that they have a "surprise" planned, but we're almost 6 months in now, anyone still waiting on that? Maybe a Christmas gift planned?
EndersGame
Player: Yes
Magician: Yes

Re: NPH Puzzle Prize

Unread post by EndersGame »

Still waiting here as well - haven't heard or received anything more following the puzzle solve.
--
BoardGameGeek reviewer EndersGame => Playing Card Reviews <=>Magic Reviews <=> Board Game Reviews <=

Stepchild
Decks Owned: 146

Unread post by Stepchild »

Gotta believe they messed up and told too many of us we won. And are now applying that all-too-typical corporate face-saving maneuver: ignore it and it'll go away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Stepchild

Neil Patrick Harris came through!

2 pins, hand-signed typed letter, and a mysterious sealed brown paper-wrapped box tied w/twine...

Edit: As regards the box contents, I can only say They vary!!
hikeeba

Unread post by hikeeba »

I got the same thing today! They all said I was crazy for keeping all my old equipment around, but I knew something like this would happen eventually! That's right - I was prepared for this exact situation!! Hah! Who's crazy now??! :ugdance:
shaitani
White Whale: Artistic Spring

Unread post by shaitani »

I can confirm my own receipt of the prize.
I've had the package for a little bit, but it took me a while to find the right tool for the job.
Definitely a different experience for every person receiving it, I'm actually quite impressed with the bit of illusion involved, I don't know if others experienced something similar.

All in all, I understand now why they took as long as they did.
I still maintain it would have been courteous to have a "we haven't forgotten, we're still working on it" type update, but...
Definitely worth the wait, and this may be the coolest prize I've ever gotten for anything.
joeblow

Unread post by joeblow »

Still not clear what the prize was, can you guys post a photo?

Has the puzzle expired? Is it worth opening a sealed deck?
Stepchild

We are more-or-less honor-bound to reveal nothing, or to be circumspect at the least. I received a slight clue in solving the puzzle and have quietly also shared a similar small favor. The deck is moderately interesting and inexpensive enough that I would say definitely open one up. No idea if the contest continues, but if you get on the right path you'll find out yourself pretty quickly I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
EndersGame

Stepchild wrote:Neil Patrick Harris came through!

2 pins, hand-signed typed letter, and a mysterious sealed brown paper-wrapped box tied w/twine...
Still nothing here (Australia), even though my teenage son (owner of the deck) successfully solved the puzzle all on his own a few months ago now. He did submit his postal address as part of the solve, in view of the promised reward. He has been eagerly anticipating getting something in the mail from Theory11 for a long time now, but so far the daily checks of our mailbox have been fruitless. Since the rest of you received something more than a month ago now, at this point I'm starting to give up hope, and starting to feel rather let down by Theory11.

Any more reports from others who either have or have not received anything, besides the three posters above who did receive something in early May?
--
BoardGameGeek reviewer EndersGame => Playing Card Reviews <=>Magic Reviews <=> Board Game Reviews <=

Fox-13
Decks Owned: 58

Unread post by Fox-13 »

Still nothing here too (Canada). Solved it early December...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
EndersGame

Well, I'm happy to say that finally Theory11 came through to this Australian address!

A small yellow envelope arrived on 24 July, containing: 1x hand-signed typed letter, 2x pins, 1x Theory11 sticker.

Others in this thread have reported that their reward package included "a mysterious sealed brown paper-wrapped box tied with twine." My envelope included no such thing, so perhaps that was limited to the first number of responses, or to people in the USA?

Does anyone have any further information to share about what they received, or any other updates of having received anything?
--

Fox-13
Decks Owned: 58

Unread post by Fox-13 »

Solved the puzzle early December, received the package last week in Canada. No box though... :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DenizUe
Lurker
Lurker

Unread post by DenizUe »

Stepchild wrote:Neil Patrick Harris came through!

Edit: As regards the box contents, I can only say They vary!!

Can you tell me what exactly you got in the Box?
spernica
Lurker
Lurker

Unread post by spernica »

i have stacked all the cards displayed on the face cards.
now i have a bunch of connected piles, 4 individual piles, a face card, and about 3/4 of a deck with normal cards that are all the same on the back.
every card has the same back and the solar system web design and four cards on it mean nothing.
i have destroyed the box the cards come in and now just have a loose deck.
i have no idea if these cards can be legally used to play with other people as some people talk about them being marked and others say nothing about markings. i cannot carry a loose deck around and cannot solve the riddle if i start losing cards.
the "cypher" people are talking about pretty much seems like A LIE, as you cannot make a cypher from playing cards. cards only have numbers of 1-10 and then letters of j,q,&k and there is no shifting or placement that lets you spell jack diddly.
then there are people talking about "brute forcing" this card puzzle and the puzzle having multiple "parts". what the heck are you people talking about? you cant "brute force" a playing card, thats impossible unless Neil wants me to literally render this deck asunder. also hints about directions mean nothing, are people seriously suggesting we pack up all the progress made and then head [east] and re set up everything?
where are all these people getting their hints? i just want one hint to clarify what the heck my objective is here. this puzzle is way to vague and has far to many ways it could be interpreted. i have spent literally 3 weeks now just following 10+ different directions the puzzle hints at potentially gong.
i do not have time to follow every single tangent and now i can no longer carry my deck as i opened up the box to check for clues inside.
can someone please just give me a single hint about what i SHOULD be doing here? also i dont have any social media accounts or a means to scan codes or images nor can i use a phone to assist in any way, so if your hint involves any of these DO NOT LEAVE IT.
i am going to have to keep scouring general internet searches for just a single hint about this, or just burn my deck to ash. if i cannot use this deck due to it being marked, carry the deck anywhere, and/or i have to spend years following hundreds to thousands of possible puzzle tangents then this deck is better off kindling.
Rake

Re: NPH Puzzle Prize (wap)

Unread post by Rake »

The only cards you need are the 2 add cards