The answer is 52. Playing Cards, Universe, Everything.

Anything and everything playing cards!
Räpylätassu
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
White Whale: Black Palekh from 1937
Decks Owned: 700

The answer is 52. Playing Cards, Universe, Everything.

Unread post by Räpylätassu »

So this is a thread for the general playing card talk and discussion. The basic idea is that here you write about anything really that you wish to say about playing cards, that does not require a thread of it's own. Just your thoughts, opinions, stories etc. For example, maybe you just wish to share your points and thoughts about a couple of years old deck, which you feel is totally underrated and in the dark. Digging up it's own thread from the dephts and writing couple of random thoughts about it when the thread has no activity for a long time feels just so out of place and weird that you end up not writing the message at all, which is a damn shame because you had something you wished to talk and share! Or maybe you wanna go to a memory lane and reflect on the custom decks made in 2012 and how have they hold up or perhaps your personal mistakes and great pick ups when you started collecting. Maybe you want to share how your taste and preferences have changed. Maybe you want to talk abut the decks that are special to you, or compare the strengths of the top playing card designers to each other when it comes to designing custom decks. Maybe you have some money to use and you want opinions and thoughts about which decks you should buy and which to pass. Literally if you have anything that you just want to talk about regarding playing cards but there isn't really a place for it anywhere else, just share it here. We do not have this kind of thread and it has been bugging me deeply.

I have been thinking of writing about my personal thoughts about the top designers and which aspects of designing a custom deck they are strong compared to other top designers and in which aspects do the other designers have an edge. I don't want to write like a full analysis about that, just some casual thoughts about it once in a while, so I feel like that a full thread for it would be useless. Also most likely about my thoughts about some underrated decks and thoughts about the decks that are on the bucket list for me as well as any random, casual stuff that comes up. And yes, this is the "New & Custom decks" section, but we also have other threads here as well that would not techincally belong here. Also this is meant to be playing card talk, so I just feel like it should on the part which is the area of discussing playing cards.
Left my heart in SIERRA MADRE

"Finding it... that's not the hard part. It's letting go."

"One makes a trip by day, but by night one sets out on a journey." -Moominmamma

I dream of a world where wars are fought only by having dance offs. I also dream that a Finnish playing card designer would exist. The former seems more likely to happend.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a penguin. Have you ever met a sad person with a penguin?

Are lobsters mermaids to scorpions?

"I did not hit her, it's not true, it's bullsh*t, I did not hit her, I did naaaht! Oh hai Mark!"

MY TRADELIST

MY TOP 150 DECKS

MY PORTFOLIO52 PAGE
JuFiN
White Whale: Delirium Signature
Decks Owned: 1000

Re: The answer is 52. Playing Cards, Universe, Everything.

Unread post by JuFiN »

Is this the correct forum for such a thread? Shouldnt this be in General or something.
Räpylätassu

JuFiN wrote:Is this the correct forum for such a thread? Shouldnt this be in General or something.
Technically the "Look what I just added to my collection thread!" should be there too or in the Show us your cards section. I just figured that as the General section is more of a section for everything other than playing cards and this part really is the section where there is playing card talk.

And really, we are a pretty small bunch of people dedicated to a really small hobby, that the vast majority of people is not even aware of exists. We don't excactly need to categorize everything formally and 100 % by the book here :D

I dream of a world where wars are fought only by having dance offs. I also dream that a Finnish playing card designer would exist. The former seems more likely to happend.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a penguin. Have you ever met a sad person with a penguin?

"I did not hit her, it's not true, it's bullsh*t, I did not hit her, I did naaaht! Oh hai Mark!"

MY TRADELIST

MY TOP 150 DECKS

MY PORTFOLIO52 PAGE
Bruno
Decks Owned: 0

Unread post by Bruno »

Deep Thought ....
Profound .... Calm.
Redundancies.
Nice. :D
O, I beg of you your comprehensions,
yet laugh at your contempts ....
my only competition is with myselves.

But Lèse-majesté, especially >Normans, natch.

Is jarnstill the Ars of the Hors Nebulous ?
Neigh .... the Effluxor of the Omniverse ??
Räpylätassu

I have been collecting decks only about 3 years now so I was "not around" before about 2014. I have been trying to be on the map about decks and what happend on the custom deck scene before I had started to collect. Although I have learned a lot, there are still gaps there.

So I was just browsing UC here and I looked into the Kickstarter Hall of Fame thread and I noticed something that caught my eye. Elite Playing Cards Bicycle Gold made over 79 000 USD on Kickstarter with overran 1600 backers. That is among the biggest amounts raised by a playing card project ever. Then I started to think that of it made so much money, why is the tuck so bland? Well they had an embossed tuck box as a stretch goal. What was the stretch goal? 80 000 USD. They were short less than 600 dollars and they already had a massive amount of money raised. Over 1600 people supported them. And they could not reward their backers and supporters and meet them at the 79 000 dollars mark. It is clear that Elite does not care a single bit about making a quality product and they do not care at all about their backers, playing card designing to them is nothing more than way to make money. The greed in that situation is making me sick to my stomache.

I do have the Bicycle Syzygy deck coming in sometime. Right now I am considering the options of burning it or giving it away for free. Elite can make any deck they want, even if it would be amazing, I don't ever want any of their even near my collection.

MY TRADELIST

MY TOP 150 DECKS

MY PORTFOLIO52 PAGE
Cbkimble
Decks Owned: 363

Unread post by Cbkimble »

Räpylätassu wrote:It is clear that Elite does not care a single bit about making a quality product and they do not care at all about their backers, playing card designing to them is nothing more than way to make money. The greed in that situation is making me sick to my stomache.
I had a situation where I made a comment they didn't care for and it ended up costing them over $500. They are very rude and care nothing for their pledgers. I ended up being forced to cancel that pledge and in turn requested a refund for the previous campaign, which had yet to ship.
Feeding the addiction one deck at a time.
rousselle
Site Admin
Site Admin
Magician: Yes

Unread post by rousselle »

In other news...

This year started off without much going on in the KS world -- I pledged for one or two projects, I think, but now, mid-February, all of a sudden, there's an explosion of awesome projects. And, at the same time, all of a sudden, a bunch of projects I'd pledged for months ago are reporting that shipping is either happening *RIGHT NOW* or is just about to begin.

Jeez, I hope so. I'm ready to receive some cards.
This space intentionally left blank.
Räpylätassu

Nautical deck by HOPC, released couple of years ago, anyone remembers that one? Well they were printed in Shanghai, China. That got me thinking that are they printed by WJ? I don't own any of their decks so I can't compare and figure it out myself. Also I don't remember where WJ is located so I am not completely sure whether they come from Shanghai or not, but somehow I have a feeling that I have read somewhere that they do come from Shanghai, but I could be completely wrong about that.

Does anyone know whether Nauticals were printed by WJ or not? This is just a small thing that has been bugging me for a while now.

MY TRADELIST

MY TOP 150 DECKS

MY PORTFOLIO52 PAGE
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

Räpylätassu wrote:Nautical deck by HOPC, released couple of years ago, anyone remembers that one? Well they were printed in Shanghai, China. That got me thinking that are they printed by WJ? I don't own any of their decks so I can't compare and figure it out myself. Also I don't remember where WJ is located so I am not completely sure whether they come from Shanghai or not, but somehow I have a feeling that I have read somewhere that they do come from Shanghai, but I could be completely wrong about that.

Does anyone know whether Nauticals were printed by WJ or not? This is just a small thing that has been bugging me for a while now.
I'd seen this deck last year. I might be wrong but it appears to be done either at the same factory Legends use or at Longpack.