Anything and everything playing cards!
Räpylätassu
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
White Whale: Black Palekh from 1937
Decks Owned: 700

The decks that I would like to see be made

Unread post by Räpylätassu »

Idea of this thread is to post subjects and themes you would like to see on a custom deck of playing cards. That simple. I really hope that you guys would post your ideas and sometimes designers would actually make them a reality. I start with a couple of my own decks that I would like to see.

1960's themed deck
There are almost none. Pressers really is the only one out there, and that deck is not that special. Someone do a 60s themed deck!

Kalevala themed deck
Kale what now? Kalevala is a Finnish national epic and it has a huge impact on Finnish culture, even today. Kalevala is one of the books that had a strong impact on J.R.R Tolkien and the Lord of the Rings. Downside: Needs a Finnish desinger to do it right. Upside: A book that has amazing stuff like the Swan of Death (That's Metal af) and cool characters to make great courts. Damn. Oh Finnish designers, where are you?

This next one would be amazing. I would love to see a deck series that has a single theme (for example: Love or perhaps maybe Trust, or Wealth), but each deck would look at that topic from a different angle, with a different perspective and so every single deck would look different although they would be about the same thing AND a every deck in the series would be from a different artist. So maybe a 6 deck series that has a deck for example from Lorenzo, Lotrek, Jackson, Randy, Giovanni and Paul. And yeah, E's Prohibition series was a bit similar but I would love that 6 decks - 6 artists - 1 theme idea.

What decks would you like to see? Here is your chance to shine!
Left my heart in SIERRA MADRE

"Finding it... that's not the hard part. It's letting go."

"One makes a trip by day, but by night one sets out on a journey." -Moominmamma

I dream of a world where wars are fought only by having dance offs. I also dream that a Finnish playing card designer would exist. The former seems more likely to happend.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a penguin. Have you ever met a sad person with a penguin?

Are lobsters mermaids to scorpions?

"I did not hit her, it's not true, it's bullsh*t, I did not hit her, I did naaaht! Oh hai Mark!"

MY TRADELIST

MY TOP 150 DECKS

MY PORTFOLIO52 PAGE
ecNate
Decks Owned: 400

Re: The decks that I would like to see be made

Unread post by ecNate »

First, if a mod could merge this with this thread that would be ideal - viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4733

I'll have to revisit my ideas in that thread again, but I LOVE your last idea! Sort of like a themed collaborative deck, but as a series where each artist does their own take on it.
Justin O.
White Whale: Jaqk Cellars V1

Unread post by Justin O. »

I have always thought it would be cool to see a deck where all of the court cards, instead of all being kings queens and the wealthy royalty, were all medieval paupers, beggars beggars and orphans
Räpylätassu wrote:Swan of Death (That's Metal af)
Prays to Google
Jackson completely revolutionized the way I waste money...
Bikefanatic
Decks Owned: 333

Unread post by Bikefanatic »

A zodiac deck of the 12 courts being the 12 zodiac signs.

How Randy's Imperial deck is with the faberge eggs, I was thinking of a deck of a luxury item such as watches or clocks. I like my courts as people but some other inanimate objects could work.
"When I like something, I buy. No matter who did it, how many were printed or how many (re)colors exist.

When I don't like something, I pass. No matter who did it, how many were printed or how many (re)colors exist."

-Lotrek

*MY PORTFOLIO52 PROFILE https://portfolio52.com/profile/26674

* MY SELLER REVIEW viewtopic.php?f=28&t=16586
TGunitedcardists

Unread post by TGunitedcardists »

1. Another Uusi Classic-like deck but from a different designer. A Stockholm 17'esque traditional, but old style courts would be fantastic.
2. Another Brendan Hong custom deck.
3. A Kings Wild Japanese currency deck.
4. A Kings Wild Canadian currency deck. (I think this is in the works already by Jackson)
RandyButterfield
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by RandyButterfield »

Räpylätassu wrote: I would love to see a deck series that has a single theme (for example: Love or perhaps maybe Trust, or Wealth), but each deck would look at that topic from a different angle, with a different perspective and so every single deck would look different although they would be about the same thing AND a every deck in the series would be from a different artist. So maybe a 6 deck series that has a deck for example from Lorenzo, Lotrek, Jackson, Randy, Giovanni and Paul. And yeah, E's Prohibition series was a bit similar but I would love that 6 decks - 6 artists - 1 theme idea.

Actually, something pretty similar was attempted a couple years ago. It's not my place to name the other designers or project leader involved, but I can tell a few details of the overall plans. The idea was to have six different designers each create a fully-custom Mythology Deck (Norse, Celtic, Roman, Greek, Chinese......). Fittingly, I chose Roman Mythology for my theme. The Kickstarter was going to be all 6 Decks per each set. It would've been really cool! I think it was even before E's Prohibition series was announced (I'm not sure though).

Because of everyone's varying schedules and already in-progress Decks, it didn't get very far. I think if we were all in the same office and full-time employees for the same company, it would be possible. But most of us are designing Decks in our limited free time, for fun.

I think a lot of us Deck designers have a long list of possible Deck themes we would like to tackle. The hard part is finding the time to do each one!

Thanks, Randy
JuFiN
White Whale: Delirium Signature
Decks Owned: 1000

Unread post by JuFiN »

Bikefanatic wrote:A zodiac deck of the 12 courts being the 12 zodiac signs.
Something like this has actually been done. Image
Azid

Unread post by Azid »

A deck with thermochromic inks.

This is what i mean, especially the part @ 2:20 with he pencils just by touching them

I really have no idea if it's possible to get such inks on playing cards, or which temperatures are necessary for color change. But that would be awesome and opens a whole new world for magicians.

Greets Azid
Bikefanatic
Decks Owned: 333

Unread post by Bikefanatic »

JuFiN wrote:
Bikefanatic wrote:A zodiac deck of the 12 courts being the 12 zodiac signs.
Something like this has actually been done. Image
That's close since it's the Chinese zodiac animals but I'm taliking about better drawn courts. The bull as Taurus (a king), Virgo as a woman (a queen court), crab as Cancer (a jack), etc.
"When I like something, I buy. No matter who did it, how many were printed or how many (re)colors exist.

When I don't like something, I pass. No matter who did it, how many were printed or how many (re)colors exist."

-Lotrek

*MY PORTFOLIO52 PROFILE https://portfolio52.com/profile/26674

* MY SELLER REVIEW viewtopic.php?f=28&t=16586
Thirdway Industries
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Thirdway Industries »

Nice thread :)
Thirdway Industries shop > https://www.thirdwayindustries.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ecNate

Unread post by ecNate »

Looking back at the orignial thread on this topic, I would have to say I'm still looking for a properly done art deco deck and a Romanesque/gothic architecture styled deck.

I also would love to see more creative transformation decks. In addition, I'm hoping some of the old classics like Vanity Fair 41, Witches of Fortune 62 and New Era 46 are properly re-created.
Räpylätassu

A borderless northern lights themed deck.

Somebody please! PLEASE!

I dream of a world where wars are fought only by having dance offs. I also dream that a Finnish playing card designer would exist. The former seems more likely to happend.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a penguin. Have you ever met a sad person with a penguin?

"I did not hit her, it's not true, it's bullsh*t, I did not hit her, I did naaaht! Oh hai Mark!"

MY TRADELIST

MY TOP 150 DECKS

MY PORTFOLIO52 PAGE
jsantafe

Unread post by jsantafe »

That sounds really close to EPC and their Night and Dusk decks. Maybe a new one with northern lights?
JS

Every deck I open makes your sealed one more valuable. You're welcome.
jaytayo2212
Decks Owned: 36

Unread post by jaytayo2212 »

I can't find the thread under Custom Drafts, but I LOVED this one design Pixel Initiative (produced Fishing for Compliments printed by Legends) made. It never made it past the drafting boards, but the design was sold to Legends. They even used some images in an email teasing it before they redesigned their website last. But of course haven't seen anything since. Was really whimsical and reminded me a bit of the BrosMind deck
PrincessTrouble

Unread post by PrincessTrouble »

I always wanted the Thunee deck to be made.

JuFiN
White Whale: Delirium Signature
Decks Owned: 1000

Unread post by JuFiN »

PrincessTrouble wrote:I always wanted the Thunee deck to be made.
That deck looks amazing!
Pixel Initiative
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

Unread post by Pixel Initiative »

jaytayo2212 wrote:I can't find the thread under Custom Drafts, but I LOVED this one design Pixel Initiative (produced Fishing for Compliments printed by Legends) made. It never made it past the drafting boards, but the design was sold to Legends. They even used some images in an email teasing it before they redesigned their website last. But of course haven't seen anything since. Was really whimsical and reminded me a bit of the BrosMind deck
Thanks for remembering, I really wanted this design to be realised sooner also. I do have some new design ideas. It has been a busy year but I am ready to start work on a new deck at last. I will keep everyone updated and I will follow up the Sherbert deck design also.
Stacey Jay Kelly

Kickstarter Fishing For COmpliments Playing Card Deck. New Launch, limited print run.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/12 ... ying-cards" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My site:
http://www.pixelinitiative.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Justin O.

Pixel Initiative wrote:
jaytayo2212 wrote:I can't find the thread under Custom Drafts, but I LOVED this one design Pixel Initiative (produced Fishing for Compliments printed by Legends) made. It never made it past the drafting boards, but the design was sold to Legends. They even used some images in an email teasing it before they redesigned their website last. But of course haven't seen anything since. Was really whimsical and reminded me a bit of the BrosMind deck
Thanks for remembering, I really wanted this design to be realised sooner also. I do have some new design ideas. It has been a busy year but I am ready to start work on a new deck at last. I will keep everyone updated and I will follow up the Sherbert deck design also.
Is there a link to the project or design thread? I'm curious to see what this is
ecNate

Unread post by ecNate »

SHERBERT

Justin O. wrote:
Pixel Initiative wrote:
Is there a link to the project or design thread? I'm curious to see what this is
pstaehlin
Decks Owned: 0

Unread post by pstaehlin »

I think it'd be really cool to see a deck design around the art work of the late H.R. Giger. If done right, it would be amazing!
Attachments
548974759.jpg
Pixel Initiative
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

Unread post by Pixel Initiative »

Im a long time fan of the late and great Hans Rudi Giger. Its interesting because he actually designed a Tarrot deck which you can buy and I think it is down to the Giger "company" to create something like a playing card deck and I imagine you would get into copyright issues trying to create one without asking.

I went to Gigers museum last week and I visited his grave...
Attachments
GIGERS GRAVE small.jpg
Stacey Jay Kelly

Kickstarter Fishing For COmpliments Playing Card Deck. New Launch, limited print run.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/12 ... ying-cards" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My site:
http://www.pixelinitiative.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
Cardist: Yes
Magician: Yes
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

Considering there are 13 Doctors (currently), a Doctor Who deck could be pretty cool. To even out that all the courts would be male, there could be a companion deck with all of his companions :D
- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki
Räpylätassu

I am still hoping that the Brush Playing Cards (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ca ... s?ref=card" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) get made someday. I just love the design, although the tuck shown is pretty horrible, but that is an easy fix. I did contacted the creator a while back, but he is unable to do the campaign because the shipping costs from Puerto Rico are so insane that the project would never fund.

MY TRADELIST

MY TOP 150 DECKS

MY PORTFOLIO52 PAGE
rousselle
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by rousselle »

Räpylätassu wrote:I am still hoping that the Brush Playing Cards (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ca ... s?ref=card" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) get made someday. I just love the design, although the tuck shown is pretty horrible, but that is an easy fix. I did contacted the creator a while back, but he is unable to do the campaign because the shipping costs from Puerto Rico are so insane that the project would never fund.
He could just have Gamblers Warehouse or CPC or Kings Wild handle the fulfillment, and that problem is solved.
This space intentionally left blank.
Justin O.

American McGee's Alice is an IP I would love to see a deck of cards of
I would also really love to see a Fifth Element deck done as a promotional deck for Zorg Industries
RichK
Decks Owned: 250

Unread post by RichK »

Justin O. wrote:American McGee's Alice is an IP I would love to see a deck of cards of
I would also really love to see a Fifth Element deck done as a promotional deck for Zorg Industries
I'd be all over a Fifth Element deck! Great movie! Hey, Albino Dragon, Jusin's got a great idea here.

Tom, got to have an enemies of Doctor Who deck too.
Move on, nothing to see here.
Azid

Unread post by Azid »

Standard Tally-Ho Circle & Fan Back with Metal Luxe, both in Red & Blue.
Räpylätassu

Lotrek and an Ottoman Empire themed deck.

LUXX deck designed by Lorenzo.

Matches made in heaven!

MY TRADELIST

MY TOP 150 DECKS

MY PORTFOLIO52 PAGE
Stepchild
Decks Owned: 146

Unread post by Stepchild »

Räpylätassu wrote:LUXX deck designed by Lorenzo.
THIS!

I only wonder if he would be bored by the idea, as so far LUXX is so much about a superb back design and Lorenzo's decks (while the backs are not to be dismissed) are so much about the astonishing courts and unique pip design...
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
Cardist: Yes
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

When it comes to LUXX decks, my first thought would be Paul Carpenter. Simple yet amazing back designs.
- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki