The decks that I would like to see be made

Anything and everything playing cards!
Pixel Initiative
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

Re: The decks that I would like to see be made

Unread post by Pixel Initiative »

Im a long time fan of the late and great Hans Rudi Giger. Its interesting because he actually designed a Tarrot deck which you can buy and I think it is down to the Giger "company" to create something like a playing card deck and I imagine you would get into copyright issues trying to create one without asking.

I went to Gigers museum last week and I visited his grave...
Attachments
GIGERS GRAVE small.jpg
Stacey Jay Kelly

Kickstarter Fishing For COmpliments Playing Card Deck. New Launch, limited print run.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/12 ... ying-cards" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My site:
http://www.pixelinitiative.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
Cardist: Yes
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Magician: Yes
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

Considering there are 13 Doctors (currently), a Doctor Who deck could be pretty cool. To even out that all the courts would be male, there could be a companion deck with all of his companions :D
- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki
Räpylätassu
White Whale: Black Palekh from 1937
Decks Owned: 700

Unread post by Räpylätassu »

I am still hoping that the Brush Playing Cards (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ca ... s?ref=card" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) get made someday. I just love the design, although the tuck shown is pretty horrible, but that is an easy fix. I did contacted the creator a while back, but he is unable to do the campaign because the shipping costs from Puerto Rico are so insane that the project would never fund.
Left my heart in SIERRA MADRE

"Finding it... that's not the hard part. It's letting go."

"One makes a trip by day, but by night one sets out on a journey." -Moominmamma

I dream of a world where wars are fought only by having dance offs. I also dream that a Finnish playing card designer would exist. The former seems more likely to happend.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a penguin. Have you ever met a sad person with a penguin?

Are lobsters mermaids to scorpions?

"I did not hit her, it's not true, it's bullsh*t, I did not hit her, I did naaaht! Oh hai Mark!"

MY TRADELIST

MY TOP 150 DECKS

MY PORTFOLIO52 PAGE
rousselle
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by rousselle »

Räpylätassu wrote:I am still hoping that the Brush Playing Cards (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ca ... s?ref=card" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) get made someday. I just love the design, although the tuck shown is pretty horrible, but that is an easy fix. I did contacted the creator a while back, but he is unable to do the campaign because the shipping costs from Puerto Rico are so insane that the project would never fund.
He could just have Gamblers Warehouse or CPC or Kings Wild handle the fulfillment, and that problem is solved.
This space intentionally left blank.
Justin O.
White Whale: Jaqk Cellars V1
Decks Owned: 400

Unread post by Justin O. »

American McGee's Alice is an IP I would love to see a deck of cards of
I would also really love to see a Fifth Element deck done as a promotional deck for Zorg Industries
Jackson completely revolutionized the way I waste money...
RichK
Decks Owned: 250

Unread post by RichK »

Justin O. wrote:American McGee's Alice is an IP I would love to see a deck of cards of
I would also really love to see a Fifth Element deck done as a promotional deck for Zorg Industries
I'd be all over a Fifth Element deck! Great movie! Hey, Albino Dragon, Jusin's got a great idea here.

Tom, got to have an enemies of Doctor Who deck too.
Move on, nothing to see here.
Azid

Unread post by Azid »

Standard Tally-Ho Circle & Fan Back with Metal Luxe, both in Red & Blue.
Räpylätassu

Lotrek and an Ottoman Empire themed deck.

LUXX deck designed by Lorenzo.

Matches made in heaven!

I dream of a world where wars are fought only by having dance offs. I also dream that a Finnish playing card designer would exist. The former seems more likely to happend.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a penguin. Have you ever met a sad person with a penguin?

"I did not hit her, it's not true, it's bullsh*t, I did not hit her, I did naaaht! Oh hai Mark!"

MY TRADELIST

MY TOP 150 DECKS

MY PORTFOLIO52 PAGE
Stepchild
Decks Owned: 146

Unread post by Stepchild »

Räpylätassu wrote:LUXX deck designed by Lorenzo.
THIS!

I only wonder if he would be bored by the idea, as so far LUXX is so much about a superb back design and Lorenzo's decks (while the backs are not to be dismissed) are so much about the astonishing courts and unique pip design...
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
Cardist: Yes
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

When it comes to LUXX decks, my first thought would be Paul Carpenter. Simple yet amazing back designs.
- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki
Räpylätassu

I have written some ideas and wishes already here but I just came up with an idea for a deck series that pretty much beats everyone of my ideas combined with hands tied behind it's back and only a rubber duck named Dixie and just a slightly nervous toothbrush Brian as weapons. Don't fricking ask, I am way too excited about this to be sane.

I would love to see a deck series that through it's courts, Jokers and Aces would tell an (epic) story that would evolve and continue from deck to deck. The back design would always capture the themes, the feel and the general idea of that chapter. The story would be told without any words or like in the MMD decks, but simply through imagies and symbols etc in the courts and other "story cards". This would also make this deck a 100 % usable in a card game, if you wish to use it that way. Also it would a real story with the good guy, supporting characters, tension, action, character development, plot twists, the love story, the bad guy etc. I would love that the basic idea of the plot would be easy to follow but everyone could make their own theories and ideas about the finer details, so that the story would be a just slightly different to everyone reading it. It's important the artist and the storyteller would never reveal everything so the magic of it would always be present as nobody would have a 100 % true answer to it.

Best possible artists to handle this project (IMO): Giovanni Meroni or Lorenzo Gaggiotti.

BOOM! You have my permisson to freak out now.

MY TRADELIST

MY TOP 150 DECKS

MY PORTFOLIO52 PAGE
rousselle
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by rousselle »

Räpylätassu wrote:I would love to see a deck series that through it's courts, Jokers and Aces would tell an (epic) story that would evolve and continue from deck to deck. The back design would always capture the themes, the feel and the general idea of that chapter. The story would be told without any words or like in the MMD decks, but simply through imagies and symbols etc in the courts and other "story cards". This would also make this deck a 100 % usable in a card game, if you wish to use it that way. Also it would a real story with the good guy, supporting characters, tension, action, character development, plot twists, the love story, the bad guy etc. I would love that the basic idea of the plot would be easy to follow but everyone could make their own theories and ideas about the finer details, so that the story would be a just slightly different to everyone reading it. It's important the artist and the storyteller would never reveal everything so the magic of it would always be present as nobody would have a 100 % true answer to it.
Great idea. I think Gio would argue that he has already done this with his various Omnia decks (although, I suppose a case can be made that the story isn't particularly obvious) and Lotrek has done this with the Venexiana series. Take a look at the first deck, which evokes Venice during the day, and how the characters change at night in the Dark decks. Notice, too, how in the two Venexiana Dark decks, some characters are masked and others are unmasked, and they switch between the two decks. Notice some characters are being offed, while others are performing the offing, while others are deliberately looking away, etc. I realize the "plot," as such, is not particularly obvious, and it's more a series of vignettes than one full, coherent story (as near as I can tell, anyway), but it seems close, at least, to what you're getting at.

Hmmm. Food for thought, definitely!
This space intentionally left blank.
Räpylätassu

I have noticed the storys told in the Venexiana Dark decks :D One of the reasons that they are among my TOP 3 decks beaten only by Arcana and Icons Imperial. But I'm not talking about a deck that tells stories but a deck series that has a movie/book style single plotline with a main character and his/hers story that continues through the deck series. Like you could actually pick up the deck and start "reading" it like a book and continue it to the next chapter(deck) after it.

MY TRADELIST

MY TOP 150 DECKS

MY PORTFOLIO52 PAGE
Thirdway Industries
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Thirdway Industries »

Looks a fun idea :-) Why not?
I already have some ideas when SINS will be completed, however it's always nice have fresh ideas.

P.S. - I decided that the Thirdway Industries payoff is "Decks that tell a story.", so in fact, all my decks have a story :)
Delirium had a book that explain it (if someone on UC missed it and want it, let me know - I have few left), and there is a big story behind on Omnia and Dedalo (if you are interested, there are some backgrounds here > http://www.thirdwayindustries.com/news/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ).

Of course, SINS will have a story too.
Thirdway Industries shop > https://www.thirdwayindustries.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Räpylätassu

Uusi and a transformation style deck. I could say more but do I really need to?

MY TRADELIST

MY TOP 150 DECKS

MY PORTFOLIO52 PAGE
TGunitedcardists

Unread post by TGunitedcardists »

I'd like Brendan Hong's Marquis Playing Card decks to come to life.

The art is fantastic, and had $28,221 CAD in pledges, but if fell $7000 short of the goal. I hope he decides to give in another try and I hope the community here can help him fund the 2nd time around.
ecNate
Decks Owned: 400

Unread post by ecNate »

Räpylätassu wrote:Uusi and a transformation style deck. I could say more but do I really need to?

So much yes! Too bad they are out of the playing card business, or are they???.... :D
Räpylätassu

I would love to see some old Russian Palekh style decks. Naturally Natalia Silva would be the one to do it, but I think that Lotrek's and Rick Davidson's styles could work well in them also.

MY TRADELIST

MY TOP 150 DECKS

MY PORTFOLIO52 PAGE
montenzi
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by montenzi »

Räpylätassu wrote:I would love to see some old Russian Palekh style decks. Naturally Natalia Silva would be the one to do it, but I think that Lotrek's and Rick Davidson's styles could work well in them also.
I planned to create a restoration-remake for the Black Palekh. Have this idea for almost 6 months... But I think one day I will finally create my own Palekh deck. Very hard task btw. Only two decks exists in this style. Both awesome.
Räpylätassu

Honestly a Bob Ross themed deck would be cool. Full of cadmium yellow, titanium hwite and happy little trees. Would even fit tightly religious nuts, as the devil would be beaten out of every deck.

MY TRADELIST

MY TOP 150 DECKS

MY PORTFOLIO52 PAGE
Räpylätassu

I thought about my earlier idea on the 1 theme - 6 designers - 6 decks idea and Randy's mentioned project where something similar was tried. I came up with a new idea on the same premise that could actually work.

Let's take three top end designers, for example Lorenzo, Paul Carpenter and Alex Chin. All at the top of their game, each a bit different. Lorenzo does his best work on his courts and jokers, Alex does perhaps the best Aces out of everyone working and Paul does breathtaking back designs. Okay, so they come together to make 3 deck set as follows. First they do rough guidelines. Lorenzo does rough guidelines on the courts and jokers, nothing more than the proportions, how the arms are placed, how the head is turned, the basic shape of them without any details. Alex does thew same on the Aces, just the proportions, the basic shape, no details whatsoever. To even the workload, he could also do the pip placement, nothing more, just how they are placed. Paul does again, just the basic shape of the back design, no details, just proportions and basic shape. He could also do the box, some basic shapes to match the shapes of the back and where the names of the decks will be written and on how large letters, nothing more. Now there is a rough guideline deck.
Next everyone just starts to work within those rough guidelines on their own deck with their own design. They make their own details, their own colors, own everything. You really wouldn't have to worry about too much of the work of the two other designers, just do your own thing. And so a three deck set will be created where each deck is completely different, each done in a different style, but they match as a set as every card have the same shape, the same proportions. The end result would be stunning, yet there would be certain harmony in it that ties the decks together. Some fine details also would be that all three tuck boxes would be done with the same type of paper, the names of the decks would be written in the same font. Sold naturally as a three deck set.

If I would win the lottery, I would hire three designers to do this, give complete artistic freedom and pay for everything without thinking of the expenses...

MY TRADELIST

MY TOP 150 DECKS

MY PORTFOLIO52 PAGE
chewbrandon

Unread post by chewbrandon »

I think a design to do with the Psychedelic universe would be really cool especially with the top notch designers you mentioned (to avoid being too tacky)

Something to do with Mayans or Aztec culture could be nice as well.

Maybe also something to do with the Kabbalah..
Azid

Unread post by Azid »

chewbrandon wrote:Something to do with Mayans or Aztec culture could be nice as well.
Emmanuel Valtierra did 3 nice decks (all printed by MPC) with that theme:

Aztec Codex: https://www.portfolio52.com/deck/3367/view" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/52 ... ng-cards-0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

El Dorado Maya - Color Edition: https://www.portfolio52.com/deck/4649/view" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
El Dorado Maya - Golden Edition: https://www.portfolio52.com/deck/4648/view" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/52 ... s-relaunch" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Räpylätassu

I honestly wouldn't mind if Cartamundi would reprint old custom Grimaud decks from the 70's and 80's with modern technology.

Oh and message number 666.

MY TRADELIST

MY TOP 150 DECKS

MY PORTFOLIO52 PAGE
intlgrrl
White Whale: MAD DECK by Ozlem Olcer
Decks Owned: 256

Unread post by intlgrrl »

I wish Ricky Linn had released his Royals Seasons playing cards

http://www.rickylinn.com/albums/royal-s ... ing-cards/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Räpylätassu

The Room themed deck in collabration with The Man, The Myth, The Legend, TOMMYYYYYYY WISEAAAAAAU!

Honestly, given the cult following of the movie, and the fact that you can just contact Tommy in Twitter now to ask for the rights, this is a slam dunk. SOMEBODY GET ON THIS!

MY TRADELIST

MY TOP 150 DECKS

MY PORTFOLIO52 PAGE
PipChick
White Whale: StrangeLove + Italian Cats
Decks Owned: 200

Unread post by PipChick »

maybe it's already been mentioned or thought of before, but I'd really like to see a zoolatry (worship of animals) deck in which each court has the sacred animals of a particular religion or culture (ancient or modern).

I know there's been a ton of animal decks and a ton of gods/goddesses decks, but merging the two drawn from religious/historical/cultural references would be really interesting. Especially if the animals are further glorified by wearing ornate regalia or adorned in jewels as the deities they are worshipped to be and in reference to those particular animal cults.

I wouldn't necessarily be interested in zoomorphic religions, as the case with ancient Egypt (because, well, it's been done like a million and one times) and I think one based on Hinduism could be its complete own deck since there's so much to work with there (and also, the theme has been a bit overdone). But maybe sacred animals of native american tribes, or fishing/hunting cults, or nomadic clans from ancient Turkey and Syria... I dunno, just brainstorming here.... probably better people to ask about this topic/theme.

Anyways, if there's not enough for one religious/cultural group to fill the court cards, it could also be based on the major continents as most of the animals deemed sacred are shared among many groups in particular regions (perhaps for different reasons, but the same nonetheless). Either way, I think there's a lot to work with and it wouldn't be just "another animal deck".
PipChick

I would love to have a deck somehow in some way inspired by this tweet...

maybe something like the poorly conceived, disheveled human meat-suit of the Bug man in Men in Black, but real feminine with a hint of grotesque whimsy :) lol
Bradius
White Whale: I do not hunt whales
Decks Owned: 4129

Re: The decks that I would like to see be made (wap)

Unread post by Bradius »

Regarding your post on animal worship, what about USII’s Pagan deck?
PipChick

Bradius wrote:Regarding your post on animal worship, what about USII’s Pagan deck?
I absolutely love the design & artwork of those cards and the inspiration behind them, and although the deck is very high on my ever growing wishlist, I unfortunately don't yet own it :( But I guess I'd like to see the actual living animals as the focus rather than just their pelts adorned by their human counterparts.

So basically I'm envisioning an ornate animal deck - I think it'd be amazing to see the contrast of detailed fur/feather/scale/ect. against the texture of precious metals and stones in opulent jewelry (with foil of course) and elegant apparel reflective of the traditional royal garb worn by nobility or divine holy men of each particular culture/religion they belong to.

A second deck could complement this theme with one focusing on animals of superstition (also for either religious/historical/cultural reasons) but I'm unsure if there's enough to work with. A superstitious animal deck being dark and ominous would make a great contrast to a bright and colorful deck glorifying the animals.

Just ideas, but thanks for reading anyways :)