Any tips on preserving the finish of playing cards?

Anything and everything playing cards!
LarryWalker
Lurker
Lurker

Any tips on preserving the finish of playing cards?

Unread post by LarryWalker »

Hello,

It's kinda sad though, that for some reason, cards clump up and lose their finish way faster for me than other people. I've tried washing my hands before using and pretty much every deck loses its finish in 2 weeks (3-4 weeks for Tally-Ho and Bee) and can no longer fan. I don't really like the idea of card clips and I don't know if they're effective but I'm desperate so maybe, just maybe, I might invest in one.
Any ideas on how to prolong the slippery finish?

Please help
Thanks

I didn't find the right solution from the Internet

References:
https://www.theory11.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

B2B Video Advertising
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
Cardist: Yes
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Magician: Yes
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Re: Any tips on preserving the finish of playing cards?

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

Sounds like what you need is fanning powder.
- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki
sinjin7
Cardist: Yes
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Decks Owned: 1500

Re: Any tips on preserving the finish of playing cards?

Unread post by sinjin7 »

LarryWalker wrote:Hello,

It's kinda sad though, that for some reason, cards clump up and lose their finish way faster for me than other people. I've tried washing my hands before using and pretty much every deck loses its finish in 2 weeks (3-4 weeks for Tally-Ho and Bee) and can no longer fan. I don't really like the idea of card clips and I don't know if they're effective but I'm desperate so maybe, just maybe, I might invest in one.
Any ideas on how to prolong the slippery finish?

Please help
Thanks

I didn't find the right solution from the Internet.
Card clips won't do anything for the finish of the cards, all they'll do is flatten out bent/warped cards. The thing that affects the finish the most is usually dirty hands. If you're washing your hands before handling your decks and they still clump up prematurely, then maybe it's an issue of sweaty hands instead of dirty hands. Excess sweat and oil from your hands, even clean hands, can still attract dust and grime which will cause your decks to clump.

The only thing I can suggest when your deck starts to get clumpy (but otherwise is in good shape) is to do several repeated faro's and bridge shuffles, at least 20. The cards constantly rubbing against each other in this manner tends to even out the finish a bit. Then put the cards back in the tuck and put the tuck in a card clip (it doesn't have to be a Porper clip, although they're the best, but any $5 metal clip will do) and then put the clipped deck into a zip lock sandwich bag filled with uncooked raw rice and then put the bag in your fridge overnight. Take out the bag the next day and allow the cold bag to gradually warm to room temperature by leaving it out. If you take out the deck right away when its still cold, there's a chance it can develop a tiny bit of condensation, especially if the room is very warm or humid. When you finally take out your deck, do a few more faro's and bridge shuffles alternating sides and hopefully the finish is improved.

You can try fanning powder, but powder isn't designed to make your decks more slippery, but to even out clumpy fans by adding more consistent friction to the finish. Learning how to properly use powder is almost an art itself. Just remember, less is more. People tend to use way too much when they first try it out.

Obviously this is a lot of work and it may be just better to crack open a fresh new deck, especially if the decks are not expensive decks. But if it is a special deck, or an expensive one, then it may be worth your time and effort to try this technique. There are some credible cardists that have put out videos on YouTube demonstrating how to revive a beat up deck or to even out a clumpy deck that you may also want to check out. Good luck!