The decks that I would like to see be made

Anything and everything playing cards!

Re: The decks that I would like to see be made

Unread postby Räpylätassu » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:50 pm  

I thought about my earlier idea on the 1 theme - 6 designers - 6 decks idea and Randy's mentioned project where something similar was tried. I came up with a new idea on the same premise that could actually work.

Let's take three top end designers, for example Lorenzo, Paul Carpenter and Alex Chin. All at the top of their game, each a bit different. Lorenzo does his best work on his courts and jokers, Alex does perhaps the best Aces out of everyone working and Paul does breathtaking back designs. Okay, so they come together to make 3 deck set as follows. First they do rough guidelines. Lorenzo does rough guidelines on the courts and jokers, nothing more than the proportions, how the arms are placed, how the head is turned, the basic shape of them without any details. Alex does thew same on the Aces, just the proportions, the basic shape, no details whatsoever. To even the workload, he could also do the pip placement, nothing more, just how they are placed. Paul does again, just the basic shape of the back design, no details, just proportions and basic shape. He could also do the box, some basic shapes to match the shapes of the back and where the names of the decks will be written and on how large letters, nothing more. Now there is a rough guideline deck.
Next everyone just starts to work within those rough guidelines on their own deck with their own design. They make their own details, their own colors, own everything. You really wouldn't have to worry about too much of the work of the two other designers, just do your own thing. And so a three deck set will be created where each deck is completely different, each done in a different style, but they match as a set as every card have the same shape, the same proportions. The end result would be stunning, yet there would be certain harmony in it that ties the decks together. Some fine details also would be that all three tuck boxes would be done with the same type of paper, the names of the decks would be written in the same font. Sold naturally as a three deck set.

If I would win the lottery, I would hire three designers to do this, give complete artistic freedom and pay for everything without thinking of the expenses...
Left my heart in SIERRA MADRE

"Finding it... that's not the hard part. It's letting go."

"One makes a trip by day, but by night one sets out on a journey." -Moominmamma

I dream of a world where wars are fought only by having dance offs. I also dream that a Finnish playing card designer would exist. The former seems more likely to happend.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a penguin. Have you ever met a sad person with a penguin?

Are lobsters mermaids to scorpions?

"I did not hit her, it's not true, it's bullsh*t, I did not hit her, I did naaaht! Oh hai Mark!"

MY TRADELIST

MY TOP 100 DECKS
Räpylätassu
Veteran
Veteran

Unread postby chewbrandon » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:40 am  

I think a design to do with the Psychedelic universe would be really cool especially with the top notch designers you mentioned (to avoid being too tacky)

Something to do with Mayans or Aztec culture could be nice as well.

Maybe also something to do with the Kabbalah..
chewbrandon
Initiate
Initiate

Unread postby Azid » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:04 pm  

chewbrandon wrote:Something to do with Mayans or Aztec culture could be nice as well.

Emmanuel Valtierra did 3 nice decks (all printed by MPC) with that theme:

Aztec Codex: https://www.portfolio52.com/deck/3367/view.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/52 ... ng-cards-0

El Dorado Maya - Color Edition: https://www.portfolio52.com/deck/4649/view.
El Dorado Maya - Golden Edition: https://www.portfolio52.com/deck/4648/view.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/52 ... s-relaunch
Azid
Sentinel
Sentinel

Unread postby Räpylätassu » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:49 pm  

I honestly wouldn't mind if Cartamundi would reprint old custom Grimaud decks from the 70's and 80's with modern technology.

Oh and message number 666.
Left my heart in SIERRA MADRE

"Finding it... that's not the hard part. It's letting go."

"One makes a trip by day, but by night one sets out on a journey." -Moominmamma

I dream of a world where wars are fought only by having dance offs. I also dream that a Finnish playing card designer would exist. The former seems more likely to happend.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a penguin. Have you ever met a sad person with a penguin?

Are lobsters mermaids to scorpions?

"I did not hit her, it's not true, it's bullsh*t, I did not hit her, I did naaaht! Oh hai Mark!"

MY TRADELIST

MY TOP 100 DECKS
Räpylätassu
Veteran
Veteran

Previous

Return to General Playing Cards Discussion