Three Stooges Decks from Whispering Imps/KWP: LIVE ON KS

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
montecarlojoe
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
White Whale: Avant Guard UL Gr - No17 Crown
Decks Owned: 690

Re: Three Stooges Decks from Whispering Imps/KWP - LIVE ON K

Unread post by montecarlojoe »

I love Chris's art and have all but the rarest Whispering Imps decks - but I've never really understood the love for the Stooges.

The art is great, but hte Nostalgia factor isn't there for me...
vasta41
Card Oracle
Card Oracle

Unread post by vasta41 »

I love the Stooges. But I don't love $16.33 per deck shipped. Even putting my recent disdain for JR I would still consider backing this deck based simply on the fact that it's the Stooges. And like I said in an earlier post, I knew it would be expensive to purchase the licenses for this but IMO the juice wasn't worth the squeeze. I think the super high funding goal will eventually prove me right when it doesn't fund. Although the Whispering Imps aren't my style I respect and support them and wish them luck.
theCapraAegagrus

Unread post by theCapraAegagrus »

A year ago I probably wouldn't have hesitated buying these because of JR, but the nostalgia isn't there for me, and the JR effect has lost its luster.

I don't care one way or another for Chris Chelko. It's Mark Stutzman that draws me to the Whispering Imps.
rousselle wrote:You are a fussy, picky guy.
Lotrek wrote:Given the number of morons produced in the world every day, a pessimist is actually a well informed realist.
Räpylätassu wrote:"Tyhmyydestä sakotetaan." You get fined for being stupid.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
see_squared
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer
Magician: Yes

Unread post by see_squared »

Thank you to those of you over the years for your kind words and support however it is quite sad and rather disappointing to see a part of this community filled with so much negativity and hate.

As with all campaigns, it's always evolving and we're just finding our feet. More tiers will be added...and updates to include along the way.

This project was designed with The Three Stooges fan in mind. They are a series of playing cards because that is the product I have the most experience producing. Jackson and I have wanted to collaborate on something together for years and this was the perfect opportunity to do so...project of this magnitude can take a lot of time and dedication (especially on top of full time jobs and family). We don't do these projects because we have to, we do them because we want to. We both have a passion to create, to be a part of something special, to preserve history with a medium that we love. That is what we intend to do.
vasta41
Card Oracle
Card Oracle

Unread post by vasta41 »

see_squared wrote:Thank you to those of you over the years for your kind words and support however it is quite sad and rather disappointing to see a part of this community filled with so much negativity and hate.
The fact that you're still here (on UC) facing your adversaries head-on is a testament to your tenacity which is a hell of a lot more than I can say for JR who clearly doesn't have the fortitude to deal with any negativity whatsoever and I commend you for that. But you have to realize that this forum isn't only filled with negativity. There is a pattern- threads about decks that are simple and inexpensive normally receive lots of praise and either fund (if they're projects) or get purchased (if they're already made). Concordantly, threads about decks that are "over the top" with bells and whistles which are priced accordingly, reflecting their extras also receive lots of praise. Threads that contain negativity are about decks that are either very lazy/too minimal (which I believe this is not), have poorly run campaigns (which may or may not even reflect the deck itself), or are not priced properly. I believe these to be the later.
So is there hate and negativity on this thread? You bet. But is it deserved? Well that's up for debate but I think YES. This forum exists to discuss playing cards, good or bad. This isn't a place to showcase playing cards in hopes to get ones tires pumped. But if you're looking for praise please refer to the pattern I pointed out and adjust accordingly. I'm sorry if I cannot get excited about overpriced decks and if that offends you, please lower the price. You had to have known there would be risks trying to cover the cost of licenses and setting a very above average funding goal so don't get mad at us for pointing it out.
see_squared wrote:This project was designed with The Three Stooges fan in mind. They are a series of playing cards because that is the product I have the most experience producing. Jackson and I have wanted to collaborate on something together for years and this was the perfect opportunity to do so...project of this magnitude can take a lot of time and dedication (especially on top of full time jobs and family). We don't do these projects because we have to, we do them because we want to. We both have a passion to create, to be a part of something special, to preserve history with a medium that we love. That is what we intend to do.
While I can't speak for others I for one am not questioning the amount of work, time, and dedication that went into these. In fact I like them so much that I wish I could afford them. But for the pricing reasons I mentioned above I just can't.
Oscar53955

Unread post by Oscar53955 »

Why hasn’t Jackson Robinson put the word out on this campaign? He always gets tons of support and I feel like if he would inform backers of his previous kickstarters and sent an email like Chelko did, there would be more support to reach the $55K goal. I haven’t seen him advertising this campaign on social media or as an update on his recent kickstarter projects.
theCapraAegagrus

Oscar53955 wrote:Why hasn’t Jackson Robinson put the word out on this campaign? He always gets tons of support and I feel like if he would inform backers of his previous kickstarters and sent an email like Chelko did, there would be more support to reach the $55K goal. I haven’t seen him advertising this campaign on social media or as an update on his recent kickstarter projects.
Good question.

Purely speculation: Maybe he realizes that his name might do more harm than good for a collaboration campaign?
Lotrek wrote:Given the number of morons produced in the world every day, a pessimist is actually a well informed realist.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
vasta41
Card Oracle
Card Oracle

Unread post by vasta41 »

TwoPieceFeed wrote:
Oscar53955 wrote:Why hasn’t Jackson Robinson put the word out on this campaign? He always gets tons of support and I feel like if he would inform backers of his previous kickstarters and sent an email like Chelko did, there would be more support to reach the $55K goal. I haven’t seen him advertising this campaign on social media or as an update on his recent kickstarter projects.
Good question.

Purely speculation: Maybe he realizes that his name might do more harm than good for a collaboration campaign?
I tend to think that most of the "ill will" towards him mainly exists on this forum. Only a hunch based on the fact that his projects still seem to fund without issue. While I do think it's odd he hasn't promoted this yet I'm also glad because I hate getting spammed with all his previous campaigns whenever he starts a new project. Either way I think when he does finally promote this project that it will surly help, might it might just be bricks in the Grand Canyon with this funding goal.
see_squared
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

TwoPieceFeed wrote:
Good question.

haha, easy guys. I'm only 2 days into the campaign...the next 3 weeks of promotion is planned out. Not bothered with getting funded in the first day, if I were...I'd run a 1 day campaign.
see_squared
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

vasta41 wrote:I hate getting spammed with all his previous campaigns whenever he starts a new project
The quick fix is to uncheck the notification box in your settings...I've done this for some projects that I prefer not to get emails about.

https://www.kickstarter.com/help/faq/ba ... #faq_41871
ecNate
Decks Owned: 400

Re: Three Stooges Decks from Whispering Imps/KWP: LIVE ON KS

Unread post by ecNate »

At first thought I would have loved to see a single deck (with selection made at survey time) option for first edition deck and/or deluxe. However, given they would be $15-$18 shipped for base and $24-27 for deluxe I unfortunately think I personally would be out. I really like it, but that show is really best as memories so I can't justify that cost. Not sure how many others would be interested in a single deck option and might be worth re-considering as an option, but with the prices I think maybe the package deal as listed is the way to go after all.

Good luck!
sinjin7
Cardist: Yes
Decks Owned: 1500

Unread post by sinjin7 »

see_squared wrote:it is quite sad and rather disappointing to see a part of this community filled with so much negativity and hate.
I think the term "hate" is way too strong. What happened a few months ago in Charlottesville (next to the beloved University that I attended) is hate. What happened yesterday in Vegas is hate. What's said about certain deck artists here at UC doesn't come close to approaching hate. Now that we're past the hyperbole, is there some negativity here? Of course, but that's because everyone has the freedom to express their opinions here. We're not just some sycophantic kowtowing yes-men here at UC (well, at least most of us aren't).

I know that Chris knows Jackson personally and have worked with him, so its fine for him to defend Jackson. But what annoys me is when some people (not necessarily Chris) make us at UnitedCardists out to be these bitter wretched people with pitchforks and torches who are out to get deck artists and treat people like Jackson unfairly. Nobody here at UC has personal hatred towards Jackson or wish him ill will. I, myself, used to be a big fan and supporter, and if you go back and look at the threads here at UC early in Jackson's career, it will reflect much appreciation and support. But you cannot ignore Jackson's well documented failings that brought about the negativity towards him in this community. Jackson has much artistic talent, but very little business saavy. He either has no concept of what good customer service is, or doesn't wish make the effort to provide any. Any negative attitude in the community towards Jackson is almost entirely self-inflicted upon himself.

It's quite sad and rather disappointing to see certain deck artists conduct themselves in a manner to fill this community with so much negativity towards them.

As for the Three Stooges Decks, I doubt Jackson's baggage will rise to the degree where it would sabotage the campaign. As Vasta already pointed out, Jackson still has many devoted followers outside of UC so his association with this project should still be beneficial. The artwork is good, as would be expected from a collaboration between Chris and Jackson, but I think the subject matter of the decks is rather narrow. While most people generally know who the Three Stooges are, I'm not sure they're all fans. That form of humor is certainly not my cup of tea. You have to either really be a fan of the Stooges, or really appreciate the artwork in the decks to be a supporter of this campaign at these prices. I think if Chris and Jackson properly market these decks they have a chance to exceed the fairly high funding goal. I also appreciate that Chris still chooses to interact with us here at UC and face the "heat", so I wish him the best of luck with his Three Stooges decks.
Bradius
White Whale: I do not hunt whales
Decks Owned: 4129

Unread post by Bradius »

I'll throw in my 2 cents. I was not around for the big blowout with Jackson here and have no wish to read about it. I have backed a few of Jackson's campaigns, but not all of them. I think he is a very good artist. I do wonder though if he isn't producing too many projects and that will decrease the deck values over time. I do agree though that he currently has a strong following and that in general, his decks resell well, so I do like that his decks are holding value, but some concern that they will continue to do so as he produces more and more decks. i can argue that to a greater and lesser extent for all of the currently active artists though. But that is just background stuff.

As for this deck, I am just not a Stooges fan. It was way before my time and I really didn't get into them as artists and performers. I have watched old films and even silent movies, so it is not that I don't appreciate old films and artists, I do. Just not the three stooges. Also, I am fresh off of backing several other series lately, including one of Jacksons. To get my attention right now, it is going to have to be something special, like Lotrek's Ambassador deck to get me ready to punk down more money. So, I am passing mainly for these reasons.

Your goal is aggressive, but I hope you can make it. I do think it is a nice set of decks.
The Crazy Squirrel Deck Hunter - Hunt decks to extinction
jerichoholic
White Whale: Many
Decks Owned: 4800

Unread post by jerichoholic »

Yeah i'm not a huge Stooges fan either, haven't really watched much since I was a kid, grew out of that style of humor I guess. Probably not a lot of diehard Stooges fans out there, not for a project of this goal size or for playing cards in general. If anything some of the fans are probably out for actual Stooges memorabilia not some new commemorative deck.

Also I know there are licensing fees but the goal is still quite high. I don't remember any of Albino Dragon's projects having goals anywhere that high and they licensed a lot of decks. As someone mentioned before perhaps the juice isn't worth the squeeze. And at this rate it isn't looking to great.

Back to Jackson Robinson, I too used to be a big fan and supporter and love his Federal 52s and some older decks, but now not only does he not want my support he also doesn't want to hear any criticisms or respond to any concerns over problems that may arise and boy was there many with Legal Tender. Hopefully he doesn't end up like Russell Kercheval or his buddy Adam or countless other creators who started off really good with our community and then grew silent.
Save 10% at Playing Card Decks here - https://app.marsello.com/Portal/Custom/ ... 561772eaee
Save 10% at Card Addiction here using code VJOSE32 - https://card-addiction.com/?ref=1efow7c06m
Check out my collection - http://portfolio52.com/profile/124
Check out my reviews - https://www.youtube.com/vjose32
The Card Club - https://www.facebook.com/groups/vjose32
Instagram - http://www.instagram.com/vjose32
Game Collection - https://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/vjose32
vedus

Unread post by vedus »

I'd forgotten these were a thing and then was curious how it was doing...
vasta41
Card Oracle
Card Oracle

Unread post by vasta41 »

No comment.
theCapraAegagrus

< 150 backers with stagnant funding. Can't say I'm surprised.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
vasta41
Card Oracle
Card Oracle

Unread post by vasta41 »

I really hope 2 things become of this. 1) Whispering Imps rebounds and continues to create nice decks. 2) This is the beginning of the end for Jackson and his greedy ways. I'm anxious to see if his next (solo) project will have a similar effect.
theCapraAegagrus

vasta41 wrote:I really hope 2 things become of this. 1) Whispering Imps rebounds and continues to create nice decks. 2) This is the beginning of the end for Jackson and his greedy ways. I'm anxious to see if his next (solo) project will have a similar effect.
IMO there are already too many WI decks. The first 10 were great. Aren't there 14 circulating now?
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
vasta41
Card Oracle
Card Oracle

Unread post by vasta41 »

You may be right but the point I'm trying to make is I hope Jackson's involvement with this project didn't hurt them. In more ways than one- not only his recent reputation but also in their wallets. I know they outsourced Jackson for the drawings and I bet he wasn't cheap, hence (maybe) the very very high goal.
RichK
Decks Owned: 250

Unread post by RichK »

It's back at noon EST today. 1 deck only.

Preview link:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/se ... 92c60ee134
Move on, nothing to see here.
badpete69
Decks Owned: 1500

Unread post by badpete69 »

Hehe Noon eastern give or take 50 minutes I have zero interest in this deck but if someones wants a $3 deck let me know
kem-collector

Unread post by kem-collector »

Oh man, even though they were before my time, I watched so much of these guys when I was growing up they are a part of my childhood. Will be getting some for sure! They can hang out with my Beavis and Butthead playing cards...
Outsider

Unread post by Outsider »

badpete69 wrote:Hehe Noon eastern give or take 50 minutes I have zero interest in this deck but if someones wants a $3 deck let me know
If it's still available I'm down.
jerichoholic
White Whale: Many
Decks Owned: 4800

Unread post by jerichoholic »

Ugh, wish Jackson would be more creative than using the same old court cards just with different heads.
Save 10% at Playing Card Decks here - https://app.marsello.com/Portal/Custom/ ... 561772eaee
Save 10% at Card Addiction here using code VJOSE32 - https://card-addiction.com/?ref=1efow7c06m
Check out my collection - http://portfolio52.com/profile/124
Check out my reviews - https://www.youtube.com/vjose32
The Card Club - https://www.facebook.com/groups/vjose32
Instagram - http://www.instagram.com/vjose32
Game Collection - https://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/vjose32
Harvonsgard
Cardist: Yes
White Whale: Your Mami
Decks Owned: 420

Unread post by Harvonsgard »

Wispering Imps x Kings Wild ... what sounds like a dream is rubbish :?
The heads destroy the proportions of the courts, way too big. Looks like all of them are severly deformed. The rest is okay-ish, well illustrated but neither the theme nor the artwork are interesting for me.
You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that’s being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.

avatar credit: 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔄𝔰𝔱𝔯𝔬𝔪𝔞𝔫𝔠𝔢𝔯 by Gands the Scholar @g_a_n_d_s_

rousselle wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:52 pmI very much want this in my collection, but at long last... I have to stop the insanity.
STLBluesNut

Unread post by STLBluesNut »

The tuck, back and ace are fairly decent and good enough but I do not care for the courts at all. The realistic heads on flat bodies are not for me.

Sent from my S10+ using Tapatalk
rousselle
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by rousselle »

It's interesting to see this thread resurrected, and it reminds me of how happy I am that Jackson has re-engaged with the community here and with such positive results. The fact that he was willing and able to rebuild bridges, and that the UC community was similarly willing and able to respond in kind, gives me hope that we may one day see Chris actively engaging here with us again, as well.

There's a lot to like about this project, and while the theme does not sing to me in particular, I continue to wish only the best for this project and for future projects from Chris and Jackson (both separately as well as teamed up.)
This space intentionally left blank.
theCapraAegagrus

Pass - again.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
see_squared
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

rousselle wrote:It's interesting to see this thread resurrected, and it reminds me of how happy I am that Jackson has re-engaged with the community here and with such positive results. The fact that he was willing and able to rebuild bridges, and that the UC community was similarly willing and able to respond in kind, gives me hope that we may one day see Chris actively engaging here with us again, as well.

There's a lot to like about this project, and while the theme does not sing to me in particular, I continue to wish only the best for this project and for future projects from Chris and Jackson (both separately as well as teamed up.)
Thanks Rousselle. The Stooges project is back with an updated look...since I was too ambitious with the first pass I figured we'd modify it to be just one deck. I'm a fan of The Three Stooges (along with all the great film and tv legends from back in the day...mad respect for these early pioneers in the medium).

My friends great grandfather was one of the Stooges so the whole idea started there with the realization they never had a quality looking deck of playing cards celebrating and commemorating the Stooges...so that's what this project is. Jackson and I have started a couple projects together, this is the first to see the light of day...it's hard when we both have full time jobs to do a side project together (especially when we live in different states).

I'm totally aware this deck doesn't appeal to everyone in the playing card community (what deck does really)...this deck was really created for the Stooges fanatic, plain and simple.

It's nice to see people support something you've worked hard on...and equally I guess it's nice to hear when people take the time to read through a whole thread about your project just to say they hate it haha. (shrug emoji)

As much as people love the Imps...I lost count at the angry emails telling me I failed at the deck because the court cards weren't custom haha. It is what it is with these things. Mad respect for any playing card creator, illustrator and producer...they aren't easy things to put together...and it ain't cheap either....I encourage anyone who hasn't tried to create a deck from start to finish to go for it....you'll learn A LOT! Especially when it comes to shipping out the decks yourself...making sure each and every deck is packed with great care to avoid any damage to the tuck so customers receive a pristine deck. It's rad and I take great pride in the whole process from conception to driving those orders to the post office.