Eva from Thirdway Industries

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
Stepchild
Collector: Yes
Decks Owned: 146

Re: Eva - Soon from Thirdway Industries

Unread post by Stepchild »

Folks "drool" over many decks here. It constitutes evidence of little, unless one is determined to find that *everything* is evidence of one's own predetermined conclusions.

That said, it's likely some of the specific comments regarding this deck have gone beyond the pale in their implicit assumption that the audience here is simply -- and presumably appropriately -- a "boys club." I can certainly understand that assumption would be offensive to many.

My own opinion though is that even those "offensive" comments contained a definite element of ironic hetero male self-mockery. I definitely don't find ridicule of women there.

Comments aside, while I don't agree that the Eva deck is, in itself, a sexist affront, I certainly do not demand that anyone who feels it contributes to their oppression be forced to explain why it is.
Oscar53955
Player: Yes

Re: Eva - Soon from Thirdway Industries (wap)

Unread post by Oscar53955 »

Don't see how this deck ridicules women. I think it has the exact opposite effect.
People nowadays have become so sensitive and offended and blow things out of proportion, taking things out of context and needlessly converting them into issues about race or gender. Find something better to do with your life.
As for the deck, I'll probably get this one.
Talisman
Decks Owned: 166

Unread post by Talisman »

I feel that Ursula should have waited for the product release before commenting. She might like what she sees as art.
Calypso

Unread post by Calypso »

It's a deck of cards...

Of all the places to take a stand against gender inequality... art? Come on.
sms69x
Magician: Yes
Decks Owned: 700

Unread post by sms69x »

Ursula Beutelhuber wrote:it's quite sad to see you guys drool over some "naked ladies" in the manner you do. these decks are sexist already and men, behaving like you do, are just disgusting.
Disgusting is your comment and assumption... I guess nowadays everyone feels intitle to get upset about anything and everything, even it has nothing to do with them. People just want to be heard even if they are totally out of context, they just need to be "seen", and that makes their day. So I guess your goal was archived, congrats on that... Since Ursula's post added nothing to the thread I would suggest we get back on track:

That back design is very interesting, as for the box, right now it looks kinda blunt, but I'm sure with the embossing red foil and some nice pearlscent paper it will look fantastic.
Thirdway Industries
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Thirdway Industries »

@Sergio - The box will be made with letterpress technology - I am waiting some answers from the box factory, but I'm 99% sure I can do it :-)

I asked for pearlescent or high quality matte paper, and they gave me some options that work well with letterpress.
I expect a great effect on this one, it should have a very accurate debossing on the graphics - this is the first time I'm doing this, I hope the experiment will turn great as I hope :mrgreen:

Thanks to everyone commented about the project - I'm happy that there is a positive feeling about Eva :-)

Well, I have to say I can't wait to launch :ugdance:
Thirdway Industries shop > https://www.thirdwayindustries.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
badpete69
Decks Owned: 1500

Unread post by badpete69 »

Giovanni. Will there be a 55th card or 56th like let's say the make me a sandwich special card or the get back in the kitchen bonus joker? :ugdance: :ugdance:
PrincessTrouble

Unread post by PrincessTrouble »

badpete69 wrote:Giovanni. Will there be a 55th card or 56th like let's say the make me a sandwich special card or the get back in the kitchen bonus joker? :ugdance: :ugdance:
Ursula can make you a knuckle sandwich, buddy boy. LOL
badpete69

Nah she's probably trolling other social sites and doing her rants there. I do appreciate your great sense of humor Princess
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin
White Whale: OG USPCC Vanity Fair [mint]
Decks Owned: 7800

Unread post by Mike Ratledge »

OK. We have gotten a little off course here, folks! Nobody here is a prude (I don't think). Nobody here wants to stifle free conversation between users or expression, but - everybody needs to be a little more sensitive to the fact that we are a VERY diverse group, and it's not even possible that everyone has the same opinion, beliefs or perspective.

Please keep the posts on topic, not "off color" and be kind to others.
>Mike<
"You can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself"
They say "Ignorance is bliss". Obviously, some people are much happier than others...

Members are encouraged to
Show Us Your Cards!

Our UC2021 Decks entitled
"Odd Fellows"
by Lorenzo Gaggiotti / @Stockholm17
Coming soon: AKA
«Eighth Annual Decks»

UC members help maintain Portfolio52
THE Playing Card Database Online
Contact ecNate for details and access

UC2019 "Seventh Annual Decks"
by Montenzi Design
Funded 207% on KS: HERE

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

Insert disclaimer here...
All information posted as fact is accurate at the time of posting to the best of my knowledge.
badpete69

Mike go make me a catfish poboy
jsantafe

Eva - Soon from Thirdway Industries

Unread post by jsantafe »

Well, is it that difficult to understand Ursulas point? I feel bad for Gio because I'm certain he didn't mean to do any harm or offend anyone but I think tge point raised is absolutely valid.
The background story might be to show strong women, pioneers, revolutionaries, fighters... With awesome boobs, sexy lips and suggestive attire... And nipples, which is anatomically accurate of course.
Jody always displays this kind of women in his queens, but with another approach.
Should they be ugly? No. It's just where the stress of the design is elsewhere.
I like Gio's style, nonetheless, and it's obviously his trademark, but it can't or should please everyone.
I guess this will bring hate back at me, but I agree with Ursula in most of her comment.
And as for exaggeration, in my opinion, gender discrimination is the single most important problem of our time, as it affects everyone, everywhere from the poorest famine dying groups to the top of the tallest skyscraper and, if magically eradicated, could change all societies for the better.
JS

Every deck I open makes your sealed one more valuable. You're welcome.
Thirdway Industries
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

but it can't or should please everyone.
I absolutely agree with this point :) In fact, I DON'T want please everyone. I think just "standard" things usually pleases everyone, and I prefer to be bold*. There is people who likes what I do, and other who does not, and that's perfect. On the other side, I think don't like (and don't buy) is good and understandable - says that men are "disgusting" and use an aggressive manner, maybe is not.

Anyway, the most important thing for me is that I love design pretty and sexy queens, and I won't stop :uggrin: There is no bad attitude in this, I just have fun :-)

I think we need to turn the page on gender inequality and talk about the deck, so from now on I won't reply anymore on those kind of comments - I think there are better places to discuss, and hopefully try to solve, this huge problem of the world.

Few hours left :) Can't wait!

*Omnia ace of diamonds
Thirdway Industries shop > https://www.thirdwayindustries.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Räpylätassu
White Whale: Black Palekh from 1937
Decks Owned: 700

Unread post by Räpylätassu »

So making a all female deck that is basically an ode to femininity is somehow discriminating to women...?

Complaining about Giovannis style in his art is quite strange really as human body has been the favorite subject in art in almost every single culture throughout human history. There is nothing wrong in displaying beauty. Oh and if you were to open a history book and analyze it a bit you might find that almost every single time in history in different cultures, when women have had freedom with their own sexuality and have had the possibilty to express it and it has not been a taboo, their possition in society has been better, women have been more respected and they have had much more freedom with more rights. And vice versa in cultures where female sexuality has been either sinful or seen as not appropriate, wicked or a taboo women have been oppresed by men.

I could go on about the fact that these are playing cards where things that are seen as "sin" (Basically everything that causes some kind of joy really...) go thematically hand in hand. Or I could talk about it that this is artwork that is not meant to be realistic.

I see this as a another great deck from Giovanni and an important ode to women.
Left my heart in SIERRA MADRE

"Finding it... that's not the hard part. It's letting go."

"One makes a trip by day, but by night one sets out on a journey." -Moominmamma

I dream of a world where wars are fought only by having dance offs. I also dream that a Finnish playing card designer would exist. The former seems more likely to happend.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a penguin. Have you ever met a sad person with a penguin?

Are lobsters mermaids to scorpions?

"I did not hit her, it's not true, it's bullsh*t, I did not hit her, I did naaaht! Oh hai Mark!"

MY TRADELIST

MY TOP 150 DECKS

MY PORTFOLIO52 PAGE
Thirdway Industries
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

It's live :)

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/th ... ying-cards" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
vasta41
Card Oracle
Card Oracle

Unread post by vasta41 »

I understand that this deck will sell for $50 but why is it $22? That still seems a little steep, all things considered. How expensive is this tuck since that seems to be the only out-of-the-norm customization? And don't get me wrong- I still pledged, I'm just curious.
intlgrrl
White Whale: MAD DECK by Ozlem Olcer
Decks Owned: 256

Unread post by intlgrrl »

I just backed this deck. It looks great! I've said it before and I'll say it again, i love your style Gio! I'm not surprised at a bit of backlash as far as the subject matter... It was bound to happen and I feel mainly because of some of the comments about the deck versus the actual artwork of the deck.

Glad you took a risk. I think it will pay off in the end. As far as previous comments about oppression of the female sex and gender inequality... that can be broken down into so many different issues in and of itself. First women as a group have to come together and fix their own issues as a group before blasting the opposite sex on certain things. Ironically, I have found that women will sell each other out in order to get a man before thinking of gender inequality. So far now, embracing something as basic as a deck of cards that expresses how one man feels about the beauty is the female form is a good place to start, I think.
Justin O.
White Whale: Jaqk Cellars V1
Decks Owned: 400

Eva - Soon from Thirdway Industries

Unread post by Justin O. »

Gorgeous decks! Always the best from Thirdway
Jackson completely revolutionized the way I waste money...
52Ravens
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer
Decks Owned: 34

Unread post by 52Ravens »

Wow! I've had two all female decks, with another on the way, and I've never had this sort of backlash! :lol:

Ignore all the hates, do what your artist heart tells you to, have fun . . . the results are clearly visible.

Amazing work as always!
rousselle
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Eva from Thirdway Industries LIVE on KS

Unread post by rousselle »

Updated the original post to include the link to the KS project page.

Gio -- love your work, your thoughtfulness, and your artistry.

Anyone interested in where feminism intersects with playing cards may also want to take a look at Kirk Slater's (52 Ravens') two decks, as he mentioned above. You can find more information easily by searching these forums and also searching Kickstarter. Actually, now that I think about it, there's a whole bunch of other decks that would also contribute to the conversation; I need to look up the names of the creators or the decks before I comment more. Perhaps I'll start a thread on the General section.

In the meantime, while the price is a bit high for my budget, this deck sings to me in ways that some less expensive decks don't, so I'm backing for a few.
This space intentionally left blank.
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin
White Whale: OG USPCC Vanity Fair [mint]
Decks Owned: 7800

Unread post by Mike Ratledge »

badpete69 wrote:Mike go make me a catfish poboy
Nah, just had tacos... Wet tacos, actually. Carmen ý Juan has awesome homestyle Mexican!
>Mike<
"You can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself"
They say "Ignorance is bliss". Obviously, some people are much happier than others...

Members are encouraged to
Show Us Your Cards!

Our UC2021 Decks entitled
"Odd Fellows"
by Lorenzo Gaggiotti / @Stockholm17
Coming soon: AKA
«Eighth Annual Decks»

UC members help maintain Portfolio52
THE Playing Card Database Online
Contact ecNate for details and access

UC2019 "Seventh Annual Decks"
by Montenzi Design
Funded 207% on KS: HERE

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

Insert disclaimer here...
All information posted as fact is accurate at the time of posting to the best of my knowledge.
Thirdway Industries
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Hello guys! Sorry for my late reply, crazy Kickstarter day :-)

@Vasta41 - the price is more or less the same of my other limited editions - this one just does not include the other two unlimited decks :-)

@intlgrrl - Thank you for the kind feedback - The subject is tricky but deep :-) I hope it will be a good story!

@Justing - Thank you! :)

@52Ravens - Yes, you did a all-female deck before me :-) They were great btw, I should have backed them both. Sorry, I couldn't resist make a all-women deck myself too haha.

@Rousselle - Thank you, I'm happy to have you aboard again! :)

@Mike @Pierre - Lol :ugdance:
Bruno
Decks Owned: 0

Re: Eva !!

Unread post by Bruno »

Eva is a gorgeous gathering of gloriously Wonderful Womanhood.
Congratulations on the perfect delivery of Brazen and Beautiful Goddesses ....
Eva is Excellence, Gio .... us mere males and females are so very lucky just to have breath in this life.

' ... if there's War between the Sexes then there'll be no people left .... "
Joe Jackson
O, I beg of you your comprehensions,
yet laugh at your contempts ....
my only competition is with myselves.

But Lèse-majesté, especially >Normans, natch.

Is jarnstill the Ars of the Hors Nebulous ?
Neigh .... the Effluxor of the Omniverse ??
Thirdway Industries
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Hello guys!

If you love coins and carat cases, there is a nice update on Eva you should see ;)

>> https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/th ... ts/1886468" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
5d9fe5fd4238263464cf2e638c006dba_original.gif
5d9fe5fd4238263464cf2e638c006dba_original.gif (97.58 KiB) Viewed 1650 times
3d1f6366dcb49e6e3b0d82bc109e0eb4_original.gif
3d1f6366dcb49e6e3b0d82bc109e0eb4_original.gif (93.59 KiB) Viewed 1650 times
Thirdway Industries
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Hello guys!

Those are the last days of Eva! I am very happy with the awesome support recieved :) Thank you, I know there are a lot of backers from UC!

If you missed Eva and you want it ... please get it now! I won't allow preorders nor Backerkit, and price will be raised to retail when KS will be over.
Also remember to get add-ons now (Coins, Cases, Uncut Sheets), they'll be hard to get later!

Like I did with Pantheon, it will stay not available until KS will be fulfilled, and maybe even more (Pantheon at the moment is still not available).

Here is the link of the campaign > https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/th ... ying-cards" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thank you & have a great day!

Giovanni
Thirdway Industries
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Hello guys!

First of all, a huge thank you to all the UC members who pledged for Eva - I know that there are many :-)
I am very happy with the awesome Eva campaign - You rocks!

For celebrate, there is 20% off on EVERYTHING (even on bundles, that are already discounted) until 31 of May. Use the code " queeneva "

I am working with EPCC to finish SINS (Boxes are being printed, we're waiting for the cards)
And I already wrote to USPCC for Eva. Also, the Eva coins are already in production.

Thank you again for the incredible support! :ugdance: :ugdance: :ugdance: :ugdance:
Thirdway Industries
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Hello guys!

Sorry for the long silence, but I haven't many news to share - now I should have something great :-)

> Cards are coming from USPCC (hopefully end July / early August)
> Clove St Press is making the boxes in those days (ready soon, I hope)
> Gamblers Warehouse will assemble the decks (so when they'll be ready, they can ship fast, hopefully)
> Cor Argentum Coins are made and coming
> Stele Oscura cases are being made, hopefully ready in mid August - I've got in my hands a SINS Lost Eden Case and the engraving is AMAZING - Will update SINS in the next days with pics :)

I decided to unlock a (hopefully) great stretch goal - all the Eva decks will have inner foil :) A little way to say "thank you" to all the awesome supporters of the project.

If you want see the pictures of the plates, check the update > https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/th ... ts/1917644" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also, you might have noticed something more...3D than usual :-)
eva_3.png
eva_3.png (189.6 KiB) Viewed 1400 times
What do you think? It's an interesting item? I might decide to make an Eva mini statue for real...
Thirdway Industries
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Eva boxes are made!

As you can see, there are some upgrades :mrgreen:

Inner green foil // Premium pearlescent paper // Silver Foiled Seals

Thank you for believing in the project ;)

Cards are being made, they should be ready in a week or two.

I confirm that everything should be ready in Sept 17

FYI - SINS will probably arrive in Sept with Eva, the "SINS ship" should leave tuesday, 8 august

Read the full update here >> https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/th ... ts/1956249" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Attachments
front_mini.jpg
inner_mini.jpg
seal_mini.jpg
vasta41
Card Oracle
Card Oracle

Unread post by vasta41 »

Nice Italian flag colors going on there! ;)
Thirdway Industries
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

@Vasta41 - I picked green and red as main colors because are the colors of the lust, the envy and the forbidden fruit... but since we're talking about italian flag, also the colors of the SINS tucks are green(corpus), white(mentis) and red(anima) ... Italy, the land of SINS ! :ugdance: :ugdance: :ugdance: