Alexandre Dumas Classics' Playing Cards live on KS

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
badpete69
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Decks Owned: 1500

Alexandre Dumas Classics' Playing Cards live on KS

Unread post by badpete69 »

I'm surprised there hasn't been some posts on this already or maybe I am just blind

jerichoholic
White Whale: Many
Decks Owned: 4800

Re: Alexandre Dumas Classics' Playing Cards live on KS

Unread post by jerichoholic »

Beautiful decks
Save 10% at Playing Card Decks here - https://app.marsello.com/Portal/Custom/ ... 561772eaee
Save 10% at Card Addiction here using code VJOSE32 - https://card-addiction.com/?ref=1efow7c06m
Check out my collection - http://portfolio52.com/profile/124
Check out my reviews - https://www.youtube.com/vjose32
The Card Club - https://www.facebook.com/groups/vjose32
Instagram - http://www.instagram.com/vjose32
Game Collection - https://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/vjose32
vasta41
Card Oracle
Card Oracle

Unread post by vasta41 »

These are great! I guess $14 is the new $10 but it still might be just a bit too high for me to pledge. Maybe... the theme and backs are awesome. I might be swayed.
RichK
Decks Owned: 250

Unread post by RichK »

vasta41 wrote:These are great! I guess $14 is the new $10 but it still might be just a bit too high for me to pledge. Maybe... the theme and backs are awesome. I might be swayed.
Do it. I did. Love the courts and pips. :)
Move on, nothing to see here.
BfPC
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by BfPC »

badpete69 wrote:I'm surprised there hasn't been some posts on this already or maybe I am just blind
you totally beat me to it hahah i had it in my new year goals to improve my time management, so far no changes, i have no shame...
jerichoholic wrote:Beautiful decks
vasta41 wrote:These are great! I guess $14 is the new $10 but it still might be just a bit too high for me to pledge. Maybe... the theme and backs are awesome. I might be swayed.
RichK wrote:Do it. I did. Love the courts and pips. :)
thank you guys, i'm really glad that you like them :) :) the tuck and back went smoothly since i achieved the look i was going after from the start; the court cards took many tries and changes but i finally achieved a result i was satisfied with, so i'm genuinely happy to see that people support it :) during these tries i came up with another style i really liked, still thinking about it, there's a chance we'll see it in the near future :)

yeah $14 is the new $10 ... production and shipping prices get more expensive every year so i guess it will just keep increasing, though i'd be happy if they remained the same for a while :geek:
Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do - Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe
BfPC
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by BfPC »

just updated the campaign with new artwork. Here are all the aces :)
tcomaces.jpg
3maces.jpg
Also i'll post an update in the next few days about a limited edition; this time it will be Kickstarter exclusive
Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do - Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe
RichK

Unread post by RichK »

Why animals on the Aces or are they in the books I haven't read yet?
BfPC
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by BfPC »

RichK wrote:Why animals on the Aces or are they in the books I haven't read yet?
They play a symbolic role here. For every ace I chose an animal that represents that suit's King, a flower that represents the Queen and an item that represents the Jack. Taking your comment on KS in consideration I'll definitely come up with something (maybe a coloring+art+info book? :ugeek: that's my kind of concoction) where i can explain a little about each character and the meaning behind the aces. My spanglish is the main con but I'll do my best :geek: , i hope you'll be able to forgive me if it hurts your eyes at some point
shermjack
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Unread post by shermjack »

BfPC wrote: My spanglish is the main con but I'll do my best :geek: , i hope you'll be able to forgive me if it hurts your eyes at some point
Though my Englsih grammer is not perfect, I (and maybe others on this forum might as well) would be more than happy to review your Spanglish and help make corrections where necessary :D
A deck a day helps keep the addiction at bay!

Check out my collection on Instagram @caratcasecreations
BfPC
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by BfPC »

shermjack wrote:
BfPC wrote: My spanglish is the main con but I'll do my best :geek: , i hope you'll be able to forgive me if it hurts your eyes at some point
Though my Englsih grammer is not perfect, I (and maybe others on this forum might as well) would be more than happy to review your Spanglish and help make corrections where necessary :D
ahah thank you, that puts me at ease, hope you won't regret your kindness :lol: i can at least ensure that it will be an entertaining experience :P
shermjack
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Unread post by shermjack »

BfPC wrote:
shermjack wrote:
ahah thank you, that puts me at ease, hope you won't regret your kindness :lol: i can at least ensure that it will be an entertaining experience :P
It would be my pleasure! :ugdance:
A deck a day helps keep the addiction at bay!

Check out my collection on Instagram @caratcasecreations
BfPC
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by BfPC »

Guys, I posted an update earlier with a sneak peek of the limited add on that will be available tomorrow around 6pm CEST. Here's the link https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bo ... ts/1867101" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And here are the pics and info to save you time :)
royal.jpg
mroyalcloseup.jpg
mroyalcloseup.jpg (408.84 KiB) Viewed 1742 times
3mroyalcloseup.jpg
3mroyalcloseup.jpg (400.68 KiB) Viewed 1742 times
It will feature:

- Custom side tuck made of special finely embossed cardstock, and it will be embossed, debossed and foiled. This tuck will also be numbered (with embossed numbers) and signed. The Count of Monte Cristo Royal will be made of purple cardstock and gold foil, while the Three Musketeers Royal will be red with gold foil.
- Custom metallic laser-cut bookmark, card shaped, featuring the AoS of either deck.
- Custom seal
- The Count of Monte Cristo or The Three Musketeers cards
- Index card featuring the character names of each court card of the chosen deck
- Limited to 40 units each
The price will be €50/deck, shipping worldwide included, and €90 for both decks (shipping also included).

That being said, there's something else as well. Following the suggestion by RichK, I decided to make an info book with a brief introduction to all characters featured in these decks. It will be a coloring + art book and I'll send the PDF file to all backers. Even if I said it as a joke in a previous post, this concoction actually sounds good to me so i'm going to go with it :D
badpete69
Decks Owned: 1500

Unread post by badpete69 »

So will it be it's own pledge level for ease of tracking or will it be the typical add-on where you increase your pledge and message you afterwards?
BfPC
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by BfPC »

badpete69 wrote:So will it be it's own pledge level for ease of tracking or will it be the typical add-on where you increase your pledge and message you afterwards?
it will be the latter :)
RichK

Unread post by RichK »

BfPC wrote:That being said, there's something else as well. Following the suggestion by RichK, I decided to make an info book with a brief introduction to all characters featured in these decks. It will be a coloring + art book and I'll send the PDF file to all backers. Even if I said it as a joke in a previous post, this concoction actually sounds good to me so i'm going to go with it :D
I'm glad you took it seriously since it's a great perk for those of us who didn't read the books (yet). :D
BfPC
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by BfPC »

If you're a kickstarter backer you've probably already seen the proofs and news but I'd like to share them here anyway :) So first the news: The production has been delayed almost a month after a series of changes and necessary fixing in the tucks. That being said, the month has already passed and I'm told that they'll be ready to be shipped to the fulfillment center shortly (I don't know the date yet, but I understand that we're talking about a few days), so everyone should receive them very soon.
Now on to the proofs :)
count of monte cristo.jpg
count of monte cristo.jpg (201.83 KiB) Viewed 1576 times
three musketeers.jpg
three musketeers.jpg (172.51 KiB) Viewed 1576 times
cards (1).jpg
cards (4).jpg
On another note, I mentioned in the update that these decks are part of a new series. These series will be about literary classics from different historical periods (two already being covered by The Count of Monte Cristo and The Three Musketeers). I'll reveal the following books soon :geek:
portcullis
Decks Owned: 440

Unread post by portcullis »

I mustn't have read the last update fully --- there's a series of these? Count me in! I'm gonna hazard an educated guess at the remaining decks/books, and say

Journey to the Centre of the Earth
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
Hunchback of Notre Dame
Les Miserables

If there's a theme brewing
BfPC
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by BfPC »

portcullis wrote:I mustn't have read the last update fully --- there's a series of these? Count me in! I'm gonna hazard an educated guess at the remaining decks/books, and say

Journey to the Centre of the Earth
Hunchback of Notre Dame
Les Miserables

If there's a theme brewing
Jules Verne! I grew up with his books, and I love most of them. Those are some serious picks :geek: I had them in my list, except for Hunchback of Notre Dame. The periods I want to cover are the Modern and Medieval era. At first I wanted to do 6 books but the Modern era has the best literature imo so I decided to pick 4 for this one alone.
So far the covered periods are:
Late modern era: The Count of Monte Cristo
Early modern era: The Three Musketeers

There's going to be one other book for both periods and three for the Medieval era. The ones I have listed are:

Dracula
Les Miserables
Alice's adventures in Wonderland
Around the World in 80 days
Journey to the Center of the Earth

A tale of two cities
Frankenstein

The Black arrow
Romeo and Juliet

Ivanhoe

Beowulf

Ivanhoe and Beowulf are pretty much the only ones I can cover from the early and high middle ages, but among the others my favorites are Dracula, Frankenstein and The Black arrow (though Romeo and Juliet would make a great deck as well, and I will most likely choose this one even if I like The Black arrow better). These are the chosen ones for now for different reasons: All of them cover different periods and I'd also like to cover different places. The Count of Monte Cristo takes place mainly in France, as does the Three musketeers so I'd like to leave France in peace for the next books. Beowulf takes place in Scandinavia, Ivanhoe in England, Romeo and Juliet in Italy, Frankenstein is all over the place and Dracula in Romania. These books also have enough characters to make all the court cards and jokers, which is very important. The problem about many books is the lack of female characters (you'd think that 4 aren't that many, but some of my favorite books have virtually none, such as the Treasure island). Verne's books tend to have this issue as well. I could always dress the boys up in fancy skirts but I'm not quite up to the task :geek:

I foresee maaaany hours of reading ahead and very few hours of sleeping, but this is well worth it

In any case I'm still deciding, opinions are welcome as always :)
Bradius
White Whale: I do not hunt whales
Decks Owned: 4129

Unread post by Bradius »

Well, you could do some very old ones by Homer: The Odyessy and The Illiad, or the Egyptian Book of the Dead. That said, I can't argue with any of those listed.
The Crazy Squirrel Deck Hunter - Hunt decks to extinction
rousselle
Site Admin
Site Admin
Magician: Yes

Unread post by rousselle »

You could also go for Ultra Modern. Allow me to suggest one of the unsung triumphs of ultra modern literature: 52 Shades of Grey.

:lol:

Okay, okay. In all seriousness, I do think that Alice has been done to death, and would recommend against that choice.
This space intentionally left blank.
BfPC
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by BfPC »

Bradius wrote:Well, you could do some very old ones by Homer: The Odyessy and The Illiad, or the Egyptian Book of the Dead. That said, I can't argue with any of those listed.
I second The Odyssey, it certainly deserves a deck so I'll add it to my list of options. I've never heard of Book of the Dead before but I looked it up. It's also an interesting theme to explore though probably in another kind of series. It somewhat reminds me of The Divine Comedy. I think that this kind of works are good enough for series of their own or to be stand alone decks since the themes they cover are so wide and specific at the same time
rousselle wrote:You could also go for Ultra Modern. Allow me to suggest one of the unsung triumphs of ultra modern literature: 52 Shades of Grey.

:lol:

Okay, okay. In all seriousness, I do think that Alice has been done to death, and would recommend against that choice.
50 shades of brown more like it :P with all my respects to anyone that likes it...
that's true, Alice is probably one of the books that has more adaptations. Aside from that, if I have anything to say in the matter, she doesn't stand a chance against Dracula even if I initially added it to the options list
portcullis
Decks Owned: 440

Unread post by portcullis »

Hmm, so my guess at the theme was wrong .

The Divine Comedy & Alice in Wonderland have both been done to death. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great theme, there's only so many ways it can be presented tho. I love the Beowulf idea. Similarly I'd like to see a Chanson de Roland deck.
BfPC
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by BfPC »

portcullis wrote:Hmm, so my guess at the theme was wrong .

The Divine Comedy & Alice in Wonderland have both been done to death. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great theme, there's only so many ways it can be presented tho. I love the Beowulf idea. Similarly I'd like to see a Chanson de Roland deck.

I can see where you could get that idea from, I think I might be secretly obsessed with France since all my decks are traced back to it in one way or another. I agree with you on that, the Divine Comedy is just an amazing theme to do adaptations so it's no wonder that it has been done to death. I'm glad that you like Beowulf :) What do you think about the others I chose?
Chanson de Roland is a good option as well, though it lacks ladies :(
BfPC
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by BfPC »

DSCN2667.JPG
The decks arrived yesterday at Keen Hong and international fulfillment will start shortly, while the remaining decks have also been sent to Gamblers' Warehouse for the US and Canada fulfillment. Finally
happy dance.gif
happy dance.gif (470.18 KiB) Viewed 1168 times
Hope you had a Merry Christmas