UC2018 Decks "DeNovo" by Rick Davidson

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
White Whale: OG USPCC Vanity Fair [mint]
Decks Owned: 7800

Re: UC2018 Sixth Annual Decks "DeNovo" by Rick Davidson

Unread post by Mike Ratledge »

badpete69 wrote:
wingedpotato wrote:I'm not finding the campaign? Any info?

EDIT-Never mind, just appeared.
Link in OP
Yep. If I didn't stomp on your edit, just click on the KS banner showing the progress and you're there. It took a couple of minutes for me, too.
>Mike<
"You can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself"
They say "Ignorance is bliss". Obviously, some people are much happier than others...

Members are encouraged to
Show Us Your Cards!

Our UC2021 Decks entitled
"Odd Fellows"
by Lorenzo Gaggiotti / @Stockholm17
Coming soon: AKA
«Eighth Annual Decks»

UC members help maintain Portfolio52
THE Playing Card Database Online
Contact ecNate for details and access

UC2019 "Seventh Annual Decks"
by Montenzi Design
Funded 207% on KS: HERE

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

Insert disclaimer here...
All information posted as fact is accurate at the time of posting to the best of my knowledge.
RichK
Decks Owned: 250

Unread post by RichK »

I'm in. Can't go wrong with outcome if Lotrek is involved. Hopefully no delays but they'll be worth it.
Move on, nothing to see here.
Thirdway Industries
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Thirdway Industries »

In, of course :) Awesome decks

(and pretty queens :mrgreen: )
Thirdway Industries shop > https://www.thirdwayindustries.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin

Cardians wrote:Working with Lotrek, enough said. I'm IN!!!
See? I told you there was at least one "Easter Egg" in there if you read it all.

Yes, we are doing a test of the end-to-end production by Lotrek in Greece = "trial by fire". The hope is to get you your decks in under half the time it usually takes, and once he has tuned it, probably closer to two months once funding is actually available (16 days after successful project funding ends).

We have kept this under wraps until right now to keep from interfering with existing business relationships, but sooner or later it's all going to come out, anyway. He is basically cradle to grave producing or supervising the entire production of the decks, optionally including tucks and fulfillment - soon. I think it will be an amazing force and hopefully the net result will be to get everyone producing decks in half the current lag time, but of course we can't directly change that. I suppose it's whether or not they want to keep up with - or at least improve - current lag times. Now, don't get me wrong: there's not one thing Expert or Legends can do about the imposed time taken by the 'float' between Hong Kong and the west coast, but it's part of the problem if that's the route you choose as an artist.
>Mike<
They say "Ignorance is bliss". Obviously, some people are much happier than others...

Show Us Your Cards!

"Odd Fellows"
«Eighth Annual Decks»

by Montenzi Design

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

All information posted as fact is accurate at the time of posting to the best of my knowledge.
Wizard_of_Os
Magician: Yes
Decks Owned: 100

Re: UC2018 Sixth Annual Decks "DeNovo" by Rick Davidson (wap

Unread post by Wizard_of_Os »

Backed for both. Super-excited to see what else comes out of this campaign...with so many brilliant minds working together, there’s no where to go but up!
Bruno
Decks Owned: 0

Unread post by Bruno »

Garn .... !
Lotrek done made an time machine ?
Antikytherian Space Rotator ?
WooHee .... !
How dizzy is that ? :D
O, I beg of you your comprehensions,
yet laugh at your contempts ....
my only competition is with myselves.

But Lèse-majesté, especially >Normans, natch.

Is jarnstill the Ars of the Hors Nebulous ?
Neigh .... the Effluxor of the Omniverse ??
Smocito

Unread post by Smocito »

If the decks are going to be produced in Greece, would it be possible for European pledges to be shipped from Greece?

That way it would avoid customs in the European Union.

I think European Union backers would be more willing to back/increase pledges if customs is out of the equation. Shipping within European Union would also be faster because it would be treated as National mail.
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin

Smocito wrote:If the decks are going to be produced in Greece, would it be possible for European pledges to be shipped from Greece?

That way it would avoid customs in the European Union.

I think European Union backers would be more willing to back/increase pledges if customs is out of the equation. Shipping within European Union would also be faster because it would be treated as National mail.
That's something that we have not thought about yet, but should.

It would eliminate VAT from the equation - right?

There are other logistics that I have not thought about, but I think that it is do-able.
>Mike<

Show Us Your Cards!

"Odd Fellows"
«Eighth Annual Decks»

by Montenzi Design

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

Mike Ratledge wrote:
Cardians wrote:Working with Lotrek, enough said. I'm IN!!!
See? I told you there was at least one "Easter Egg" in there if you read it all.

Yes, we are doing a test of the end-to-end production by Lotrek in Greece = "trial by fire". The hope is to get you your decks in under half the time it usually takes, and once he has tuned it, probably closer to two months once funding is actually available (16 days after successful project funding ends).

We have kept this under wraps until right now to keep from interfering with existing business relationships, but sooner or later it's all going to come out, anyway. He is basically cradle to grave producing or supervising the entire production of the decks, optionally including tucks and fulfillment - soon. I think it will be an amazing force and hopefully the net result will be to get everyone producing decks in half the current lag time, but of course we can't directly change that. I suppose it's whether or not they want to keep up with - or at least improve - current lag times. Now, don't get me wrong: there's not one thing Expert or Legends can do about the imposed time taken by the 'float' between Hong Kong and the west coast, but it's part of the problem if that's the route you choose as an artist.

I knew that after talking to Rick about the shipping yesterday but still got stoked after reading about the collaboration of Rick and Lotrek on the Kickstarter page. Looking forward to the Maestro finish as well.
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin

guru wrote:I knew that after talking to Rick about the shipping yesterday but still got stoked after reading about the collaboration of Rick and Lotrek on the Kickstarter page. Looking forward to the Maestro finish as well.
Well, since Lotrek won't blow his own horn here - I will: it's something that he has been working on for nearly two years now - perfecting the 'glue' or varnish that is used to coat the cards. There have been numerous trials and successes with the finish, and the varnish ends up being the key to the overall handling, at least as far as how the decks feel. "Slippery" is what people almost always say about USPCC's finish, as in "it slips out of your hands" (if you're not careful), which is true.

I'll go out on a limb and state that it's at least on par with what's available elsewhere right now, and superior to several of the "big boys" as far as handling. If you look at the progression over the past 18 months or so, you'll notice that as time goes by, that varnish or final coating on the decks has become better and better. Believe me, that's one thing that those "big boys" aren't going to share. Now, some of them will _SELL_ it to you, as we've seen, but recipe? You have to cook your own sauce, and at this point: it's at the same level and beyond some in the field.

Perfect? No, nothing is. It can still be better, but for now - it's miles beyond where it was 18 months ago - thanks to many sleepless nights and 20 hour days Lotrek has put in.
>Mike<

Show Us Your Cards!

"Odd Fellows"
«Eighth Annual Decks»

by Montenzi Design

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

Bruno

Unread post by Bruno »

quote :-
".... the 20 hours a day he puts in ...."

.... hence my #veryminimalcontact with this happy perfectionist ....
Hint Hint ....

guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

Mike Ratledge wrote:
guru wrote:I knew that after talking to Rick about the shipping yesterday but still got stoked after reading about the collaboration of Rick and Lotrek on the Kickstarter page. Looking forward to the Maestro finish as well.
Well, since Lotrek won't blow his own horn here - I will: it's something that he has been working on for nearly two years now - perfecting the 'glue' or varnish that is used to coat the cards. There have been numerous trials and successes with the finish, and the varnish ends up being the key to the overall handling, at least as far as how the decks feel. "Slippery" is what people almost always say about USPCC's finish, as in "it slips out of your hands" (if you're not careful), which is true.

I'll go out on a limb and state that it's at least on par with what's available elsewhere right now, and superior to several of the "big boys" as far as handling. If you look at the progression over the past 18 months or so, you'll notice that as time goes by, that varnish or final coating on the decks has become better and better. Believe me, that's one thing that those "big boys" aren't going to share. Now, some of them will _SELL_ it to you, as we've seen, but recipe? You have to cook your own sauce, and at this point: it's at the same level and beyond some in the field.

Perfect? No, nothing is. It can still be better, but for now - it's miles beyond where it was 18 months ago - thanks to many sleepless nights and 20 hour days Lotrek has put in.
Mike - Agree on cooking our own sauce and I know how much time (and sleepless nights) varnish can take to reach a certain stage. The problem is that very few collectors will appreciate the time it took for finish to reach perfection (or closer), and having such a deck in their hands.
Bradius
White Whale: I do not hunt whales
Decks Owned: 4129

Unread post by Bradius »

Mike - Agree on cooking our own sauce and I know how much time (and sleepless nights) varnish can take to reach a certain stage. The problem is that very few collectors will appreciate the time it took for finish to reach perfection (or closer), and having such a deck in their hands.
Yeah, especially if we never take it out of the tuck box! :lol: :lol:
The Crazy Squirrel Deck Hunter - Hunt decks to extinction
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin

Guru said wrote:Mike - Agree on cooking our own sauce and I know how much time (and sleepless nights) varnish can take to reach a certain stage. The problem is that very few collectors will appreciate the time it took for finish to reach perfection (or closer), and having such a deck in their hands.
That's true, and most of the reason why I took the time to make the observation: people for the most part don't really "see" the effort it takes to get there.
Bradius wrote:Yeah, especially if we never take it out of the tuck box! :lol: :lol:
Well, I can't say for certain that these will be "Lotrek packed" as in capable of being opened without leaving notice, but at this truly reasonable price, everyone can afford to get at least one spare pack. I would suggest members grab one of the Viridi / UC green :mrgreen: decks to play poker - I know, blasphemy these days, right? :lol:

Many thanks for everyone who took the time to get us more than 50% funded in under seven hours. I appreciate it, RIck appreciates it, and Lotrek does, too.
>Mike<

Show Us Your Cards!

"Odd Fellows"
«Eighth Annual Decks»

by Montenzi Design

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

Smocito

Unread post by Smocito »

It would eliminate VAT from the equation - right?

There are other logistics that I have not thought about, but I think that it is do-able.
Yes, VAT would be out from the equation but also customs fees, time, emails or trips to customs...
In Portugal Vat is 23% and customs fess go for something around 14 Euro.

Perhaps add-ons wouldn't be able to be shiped from Europe.
If add-ons were also placed in ucdecksales (as it was done with signature Ambassadors) people would be able to purchase them in a separate order.
That would be useful because, if the add-ons got stopped at customs, the value of the receipt (we need to present the receipt at customs) would be that of the add-ons only.
portcullis
Decks Owned: 440

Unread post by portcullis »

vasta41 wrote:Is Rick sleeping?
It's 5am on a Sunday at Rick's house, at the time this was written, give the dude a break.
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin

portcullis wrote:
It's 5am on a Sunday at Rick's house, at the time this was written, give the dude a break.
Yep, I didn't reply on the project page, but I knew Rick was fading. We started around 6AM yesterday and he was there before I was.

Nice to have those timed EB tiers, seems to work better and def eliminates the problem with them getting eaten up too quickly.
>Mike<

Show Us Your Cards!

"Odd Fellows"
«Eighth Annual Decks»

by Montenzi Design

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

vasta41
Card Oracle
Card Oracle

Unread post by vasta41 »

portcullis wrote:
I knew that, hence the comment. Which I thought was obviously a joke..
portcullis
Decks Owned: 440

Unread post by portcullis »

vasta41 wrote:
portcullis wrote:
I knew that, hence the comment. Which I thought was obviously a joke..

My awareness of sarcasm is at something below Sheldon Cooper levels when I'm drinking. [MURRAY] Of course it was a joke. Carry on.
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: UC2018 Decks "DeNovo" by Rick Davidson now funding on KS

Smocito wrote:
Mike Ratledge running his mouth wrote:It would eliminate VAT from the equation - right?

Yes, VAT would be out from the equation but also customs fees, time, emails or trips to customs...
In Portugal Vat is 23% and customs fess go for something around 14 Euro.

Perhaps add-ons wouldn't be able to be shiped from Europe.
If add-ons were also placed in ucdecksales (as it was done with signature Ambassadors) people would be able to purchase them in a separate order.
That would be useful because, if the add-ons got stopped at customs, the value of the receipt (we need to present the receipt at customs) would be that of the add-ons only.
We are looking into it to see if we can get Paul ("JP") to do fulfillment or something like that. Lotrek loves us, but he is not doing fulfillment for others.

Eliminating all that pain makes sense if it is practical and obviously it should save money for us, also.
>Mike<

Show Us Your Cards!

"Odd Fellows"
«Eighth Annual Decks»

by Montenzi Design

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

Bradius
White Whale: I do not hunt whales
Decks Owned: 4129

Unread post by Bradius »

Lotrek loves us, but he is not doing fulfillment for others
Sorry, but when I saw that I starting hearing the Beatles' song "Can't by me love". :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srwxJUXPHvE
The Crazy Squirrel Deck Hunter - Hunt decks to extinction
RickDavidson
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by RickDavidson »

Hey guys! Sorry I haven’t been on sooner. A deluge of messages to run through AND a school camp. In my sleeping bag at the moment, not the best timing.. Thank you so much for your support on this one. To be honest the last week I’ve been pulling some very long hours preparing so really happy with the first day. I’m really looking forward to production with Lotrek. I’m a sucker for high quality but there isn’t a lot of room to play with the likes of USPCC which is understandable. Having access to a high quality range of materials and Lotrek’s experience is pretty exciting. Still a long way to go and a few things bouncing around but happy to hear thoughts as we progress. Awesomeness
Merlebird
White Whale: Moon Prism + Dondorf Saks
Decks Owned: 212

Unread post by Merlebird »

RickDavidson wrote:Hey guys! Sorry I haven’t been on sooner. A deluge of messages to run through AND a school camp. In my sleeping bag at the moment, not the best timing..
Does... does grad school do school camps? If I find out you're only in high school, I'm going to feel very insecure about what I've done with my life.... :shock:
RickDavidson
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by RickDavidson »

Oh haha no you’re off the hook, I’m on camp with my kids ;) Have quite a few years of design angst behind me. Never stop learning
KT52

Unread post by KT52 »

Signature edition?
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin

KT52 wrote:Signature edition?
Yes, but it is not yet available, or even specifics announced yet.

I expect Rick will be able to make concrete plans for the Signature Edition decks soin, but I don't know exactly how soon - yet.
>Mike<

Show Us Your Cards!

"Odd Fellows"
«Eighth Annual Decks»

by Montenzi Design

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

Cbkimble
Decks Owned: 363

Unread post by Cbkimble »

Looking forward to the signature decks
Feeding the addiction one deck at a time.
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin

Cbkimble wrote:Looking forward to the signature decks
For certain! Now, this is an early prototype for Rick's ultra limited Signature Edition decks, and he will be providing a better look along with pricing here in the next few days, but I wanted to show this only on UC:
De-Novo-SE-promo1.jpg
This one is the Viridi / UC green version, but there will be 60 of them along with 60 Aurum / gold decks.

Specifics including price will be in the next project update, and they will be available Saturday at 3PM.
>Mike<

Show Us Your Cards!

"Odd Fellows"
«Eighth Annual Decks»

by Montenzi Design

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

Bruno

Unread post by Bruno »

.... happy to see more of these !
Yumm-O ....

Cbkimble
Decks Owned: 363

Unread post by Cbkimble »

Mike Ratledge wrote:
Cbkimble wrote:Looking forward to the signature decks
For certain! Now, this is an early prototype for Rick's ultra limited Signature Edition decks, and he will be providing a better look along with pricing here in the next few days, but I wanted to show this only on UC:
De-Novo-SE-promo1.jpg
This one is the Viridi / UC green version, but there will be 60 of them along with 60 Aurum / gold decks.

Specifics including price will be in the next project update, and they will be available Saturday at 3PM.
Nice looking but I think the xxx/xxx numbering printed on the tuck is ok but far too big.