HELLO TIKI: playing cards from NZ. Now shipping.

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
montenzi
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Re: HELLO TIKI: playing cards from NZ. Live on KS

Unread post by montenzi »

jerichoholic should try to create his own deck as his comments about "money grab" is something... 60% of our backers need 1 or 2 decks. As we have 2 styles it is easier to make a decision. It is almost impossible to think about profit in such tiny projects. One day we'll create a project with 500 backers and I hope it will be done this year. it's just impossible to invest HUGE efforts and money into big projects without established brand/style/history. Everything will be ok...))
Bruno
Collector: Yes
Decks Owned: 0

Unread post by Bruno »

Tuck swap ?
So purile it is pathetic.
This is the second small project from this Studio, it is a challenge to compare these nice campaigns to something of the expectations and entitlements of an ellusionist or a d&d come t11 issue which victor will slavishly rate pathetically about.
Behind the scenes now, he bags and berates, devaluing himself more than he knows/understands.
Poor form victor .... very poor form.
Again.

But certainly, everything will be OK.
O, I beg of you your comprehensions,
yet laugh at your contempts ....
my only competition is with myselves.

But Lèse-majesté, especially >Normans, natch.

Is jarnstill the Ars of the Hors Nebulous ?
Neigh .... the Effluxor of the Omniverse ??
montenzi
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Thanks Bruno!

BTW, we have just finished W2/R2 boxes back design. We'll try to print them sooner than cards as we want to try embossing.

montenzi
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Project news: W2/R2 design updated... :uggrin: A couple of tweaks and we'll be ready to print.

montenzi
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Hi! NZ and AU backers will start receiving decks this week. Some parcels have already been delivered here in New Zealand. US and International parcels will be posted soon.

More high-res photos: http://montenzi.nz/hello_tiki.zip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (170mb)

Kickstarter update: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mo ... ts/1902291" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

p.s. this time we don't have US based stock, so the deck is available for Kickstarter backers and on our site + Trademe only (shipping from New Zealand). :ugdance:

max
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Unread post by max »

I love the way they look! Congratulations!
flashcards
Cardist: Yes
Decks Owned: 600

Re: HELLO TIKI: playing cards from NZ. Now shipping.

Unread post by flashcards »

I received my deck today. I was always been a fan of the art but had openly skeptical about the possible quality coming from a Chinese printer. I have to admit that I was pleasantly surprised . I think these are on par with the cards produced by the EPCC/LPCC printer in Taiwan. I really like the tuck even without embossing and foil. For me, the artwork and the colors are enough and it will really stand out on my display shelves. I now wish I had bought a few more but then one never knows until the product is finished (see Legal Tender for the opposite result). Well done, guys. Now pardon me, I have some crow to eat...
Gareth
Player: Yes

Unread post by Gareth »

flashcards wrote:I received my deck today. I was always been a fan of the art but had openly skeptical about the possible quality coming from a Chinese printer. I have to admit that I was pleasantly surprised . I think these are on par with the cards produced by the EPCC/LPCC printer in Taiwan. I really like the tuck even without embossing and foil. For me, the artwork and the colors are enough and it will really stand out on my display shelves. I now wish I had bought a few more but then one never knows until the product is finished (see Legal Tender for the opposite result). Well done, guys. Now pardon me, I have some crow to eat...
Have to agree, the decks themselves are good. I wouldn't put them quite on par with EPCC/LPCC, but at least equal with MPC or slightly better (don't have many recent MPC, so hard to be definitive). I little embossing may make the design really stand out, but in terms of cost vs reward, I think the right decision was made.

Am happy I pledged for these.
montenzi
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Thanks )) MPC is ok ... but they print on a digital press so thin lines and shadows/gradients cannot be printed correctly. Offset is always better and crisper. Another issue with digitally printed cards - color correction. It is harder to reproduce correct colors. I've printed 3-4 prototypes and they are very different. They use bright French paper 305gsm (Diamond/Master finish) with oily surface. Our Classic stock is different and nothing else.

For your information - I've just discovered that Haere Mai deck was printed on a 300gsm paper (long story) and if you compare both decks you'll see a a slight difference in handling.

Our next deck will be printed by USPCC or Cartamundi as we want to try them out. It doesn't mean that we are not going to work with WJP anymore! They are really good! Now I am waiting for samples to test new experimental coating. And I'll prefer to use 300-305gsm paper for our next WJP deck as well as foiling/embossing on tucks. Embossing is not that expensive but this time we didn't want to risk and delay the project. BTW I love how they print tucks ))
montenzi
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Got new samples from WJP. Master/Diamond finish with new(!) coating... Incredible! They are awesome! It will be very hard for me to decide where to print next decks (as I have two more options only - USPCC and Cartamundi).
Anyway I hope to present my new deck next week and this deck will be printed by USPCC. EB prices - US$6 USA and US$8 INT + $6 flat rate worldwide shipping.

I will definitely print Black Tiki with WJP (September?) Cards and one tuck box will be redesigned. Second tuck will keep W2/R2 style.

p.s. EDIT: they call this new coating "Great White Diamond" :ugthink: The difference - more complicated process to apply and as a result better handling. I (!) think they remove additional moisture during the process...but no comments from the company as they don't want to disclose details.

p.s. OLD projects: I still have about 10 decks each edition (Hello Tiki: W2, R1, R2) and Red+Grey Haere Mai in GW/USA for those who wants to save on postage. Current backers can send me a message through Kickstarter to buy at Kickstarter price (limited to US based stock).
max
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Unread post by max »

You next campaign then promises a lot, specially with that price ranges and using USPCC. I am so excited to see what you are going to do ;)

Best wishes and good luck!
montenzi
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

max wrote:You next campaign then promises a lot, specially with that price ranges and using USPCC. I am so excited to see what you are going to do ;)

Best wishes and good luck!
Hi Max, thanks! I work on 3 projects when I have time. Wanted to launch a very simple deck ... but plans have changed :lol: Now I am trying to finish the NEO deck.

I think it will be printed by USPC. But I still want to print a limited edition with WJP on their new stock (I''ll use their bright French paper and new coating). Very similar to EPCC''s Diamond finish but I don't know how to explain - the paper is different in a very good way. I like it so much!

Trying to launch my new KS campaign next week.
Attachments
2017-07-02_033706_SM.jpg
2017-07-02_033706_SM.jpg (276.53 KiB) Viewed 1334 times
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin
White Whale: OG USPCC Vanity Fair [mint]
Decks Owned: 7800

Unread post by Mike Ratledge »

montenzi wrote:I think it will be printed by USPC. But I still want to print a limited edition with WJP on their new stock (I''ll use their bright French paper and new coating). Very similar to EPCC''s Diamond finish but I don't know how to explain - the paper is different in a very good way. I like it so much!

Trying to launch my new KS campaign next week.
Check out the latest bond / stock & finish by Cartamundi. The samples look great and finished decks are truly nice. Butterfly is one that you likely can find "down there" (there are others, just trying to think of one that's likely gotten wide distro).

They have a cardistry finish & crushed stock and a general purpose one, too.
>Mike<
"You can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself"
They say "Ignorance is bliss". Obviously, some people are much happier than others...

Members are encouraged to
Show Us Your Cards!

Our UC2021 Decks entitled
"Odd Fellows"
by Lorenzo Gaggiotti / @Stockholm17
Coming soon: AKA
«Eighth Annual Decks»

UC members help maintain Portfolio52
THE Playing Card Database Online
Contact ecNate for details and access

UC2019 "Seventh Annual Decks"
by Montenzi Design
Funded 207% on KS: HERE

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

Insert disclaimer here...
All information posted as fact is accurate at the time of posting to the best of my knowledge.
flashcards
Decks Owned: 600

Unread post by flashcards »

If you print with USPCC, there won't be any discussion about quality- it's a given. This is a nice design and I think printing with USPCC would make it a fantastic deck. Let us know what you decide.
montenzi
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Yes, I am in contact with Cartamundi. Current plan to use USPCC for the main Edition and WJP or Cartamundi for limited decks ( 250? 500?). 100% CM? Who knows. I'll decide next week. :ugking:
Attachments
2017-07-03_003714_PO.jpg
2017-07-03_003714_PO.jpg (170.29 KiB) Viewed 1261 times
max
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Unread post by max »

I received my Hello Tiki decks last week and they are gorgeous!

Congratulations!
hsbc
White Whale: Grid 1 LE
Decks Owned: 1500

Unread post by hsbc »

I finally got my hands on a W2 Hello Tiki and I've had the R2 and the even more limited W1 (how'd I miss the R1? No idea :lol: Let me know if you have one you'll part with!) so here are some pics :D

P52DCIGUCr/m/52+J
Entaro
White Whale: Delirium Signature Edition

Unread post by Entaro »

I was just looking at these on P52 the other day and they had both of those just listed as "Hello Tiki, Red" "Hello Tiki, White" and was wondering why despite the clear distinction, the W1 W2 naming clears that up!
montenzi
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

hsbc wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:47 pm I finally got my hands on a W2 Hello Tiki and I've had the R2 and the even more limited W1 (how'd I miss the R1? No idea :lol: Let me know if you have one you'll part with!) so here are some pics :D
:D Decks are available in New Zealand only (a brick or two of R1 and maybe a brick of W1). Cards are the same for W1-W2 and R1-R2, it was just a tuck swap.
Entaro wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:59 am I was just looking at these on P52 the other day and they had both of those just listed as "Hello Tiki, Red" "Hello Tiki, White" and was wondering why despite the clear distinction, the W1 W2 naming clears that up!
Yes, I designed two different boxes for each edition.

I still recommend ordering V3 decks instead, as they are the best in this series. V3 is one of my favorite designs out of all decks I produced. I'm also planning to print the V3 player's edition in a couple of months (without foil, for the New Zealand market.) It may be available worldwide through wholesalers (MM).