The House of the Rising Spade

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
Stockholm17
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer
Collector: Yes
Decks Owned: 130

Re: The House of the Rising Spade

Unread post by Stockholm17 »

Hello everybody!

finally I am able to get back to work after a big break due to moving to a new place. It was a process that took a few months (buying, selling, moving, fixing etc), that´s why I am so late with the new deck.

I gathered the many sketches I made during the year and selected a few. These are the 12 court cards.
I dont know when they will be ready, I still have to work on the aces, back design, and tuckbox.... Work in progress folk! :)
Let me know what is your fav :)

JACKS

QUEENS

KINGS
Bradius
Player: Yes
White Whale: I do not hunt whales
Decks Owned: 4129

Unread post by Bradius »

I like them. So, this time you are going for a full card illustration. I am not so wild about the obscured faces of the Kings with their visors down (Diamond and Spade), and the King of Clubs needs some work in my opinion. The King of Club's beard is not doing it for me. The Jacks look great. The Jack of Spades is my favorite with his face obsured by the hood (I know my earlier comment, but here it works for me) and with his snake familiar. The addition of the animals is a great twist. Thanks for the update on your next project and glad you are getting settled into your new home.
The Crazy Squirrel Deck Hunter - Hunt decks to extinction
Bikefanatic
Decks Owned: 333

Unread post by Bikefanatic »

Very rarely I like one way courts. I liked Calaveras, I haven't got my Origins SOH yet but I will like those. This deck I think I will like a lot too.

When you have the cards in your hand, it takes nothing but a second to turn around a court card to be aligned with a spread. I still highly prefer two way courts but I really don't care that much about one way backs.
"When I like something, I buy. No matter who did it, how many were printed or how many (re)colors exist.

When I don't like something, I pass. No matter who did it, how many were printed or how many (re)colors exist."

-Lotrek

*MY PORTFOLIO52 PROFILE https://portfolio52.com/profile/26674

* MY SELLER REVIEW viewtopic.php?f=28&t=16586
Mankin
Deck Artist
Deck Artist
Decks Owned: 12

Unread post by Mankin »

Looks really promising. I like the idea of the courts with a 'pet'. Will they all get one?
Stockholm17
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

thanx for the feedback! :)

Only the jacks will have an animal, the kings will have a weapon.
I will do some rendering in the weekend and see how it turns out :)

Much to do eheh
sms69x
Magician: Yes
Decks Owned: 700

Unread post by sms69x »

So pets for Jacks, weapons for Kings and the girls??
Stockholm17
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

sms69x wrote:So pets for Jacks, weapons for Kings and the girls??
the ladies will have a special feature :) and I am not talking about their breast eheh
wait and see, I hope it turns out decently.

As reminder, these cards will be INDEX-LESS
O_O-
rousselle
Site Admin
Site Admin
Magician: Yes

Unread post by rousselle »

I'm excited by what I see so far.
This space intentionally left blank.
theCapraAegagrus

Unread post by theCapraAegagrus »

Stockholm17 wrote:
sms69x wrote:So pets for Jacks, weapons for Kings and the girls??
the ladies will have a special feature :) and I am not talking about their breast eheh
wait and see, I hope it turns out decently.

As reminder, these cards will be INDEX-LESS
O_O-
I said it before and I will say it again: These look f^&*ing great. I love the one-way courts and I love the lack of indexes.

I've seriously been waiting for an update on this forever. I'm heavily anticipating these.

I'm done with Lotrek. Nothing against him at all. 6 of his decks are industrially innovative, ridiculously well-designed, and meticulously crafted. Venexiana Gold, Icons Signature, Liturgy Treasure, Grotesk Inverted Inferno Signature, Golden Oath, and Oath Sanctus are all ground-breaking IMO. That's about $2K (X2 of each deck) of investment though and I'm experiencing fatigue on all playing card fronts. It will be tough to continue delivering state-of-the-art products for Oath Playing Cards (Ambassadors begins that trend).

I'm done with JR. 36 decks in and I've hit the dead end after the Arthurians.

Paul Carpenter is still going strong. I think his few and far-between releases keep his stuff looking pretty fresh and his line detail work is tremendous.

I'm done with Giovanni. A brick of his signature artwork bodes well for his legacy with me but the style is stale and I had no interest in his latest super bright colored campaign.

Alex Chin is still going strong for me as well, but I think Seasons has to come to a close and he needs to pull another Magna Carta out of his bag of tricks.

That brings me to you, sir. It's weird, because I first came across your work with the Heretic decks and Noctis is so easily one of my favorite decks. I saw the Requiem decks online a few times and was "eh, I'm not sure I see the catch". Well, lo and behold, I ended up ordering them and I don't know if there is another deck that pictures do no justice for. They are unbelievable. Everything you've crafted has been a stunning work of art and this "fresh" look of one-way courts and index-less designs just has me excited. I have no love for one-way backs, as some have said, but the courts don't restrict the deck's function IMO.

A long post, I know, and I'm sorry. I had a lot to say.
rousselle wrote:You are a fussy, picky guy.
Lotrek wrote:Given the number of morons produced in the world every day, a pessimist is actually a well informed realist.
Räpylätassu wrote:"Tyhmyydestä sakotetaan." You get fined for being stupid.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
theCapraAegagrus

serubi wrote:Image
I just wanted to quote this because it's how I feel about this upcoming deck lol.
Lotrek wrote:Given the number of morons produced in the world every day, a pessimist is actually a well informed realist.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
alric
Cardist: Yes

Unread post by alric »

TwoPieceFeed wrote:I'm done with Lotrek.

I'm done with JR.

Paul Carpenter is still going strong.

I'm done with Giovanni.

Alex Chin is still going strong for me as well.
Interesting list. I'm not done with Lotrek, I just can't afford him!

I am also done with Jackson Robinson. As in "never again" done. As in "you're dead to me" done. As in "even if you're the last deck on earth" done.

I only loved two decks from Paul: Zenith and Chancellor. The rest of his decks are merely OK, there's a bit of not living up to the hype going on.

I might be done with Giovanni. I like everything I've got from him, but its become the same old same old.

Always looking for what Alex Chin does next.

Lorenzo does just enough so that it doesn't seem like the same old same old so he's still going very strong for me as well.

I still like Randy Butterfield, he makes decks that are meant to be used and I appreciate that.

The designer I will never get tired of is Uusi! If they ever design a UC Annual deck my head will explode. God, I wish they would start another series of custom playing cards.
theCapraAegagrus

alric wrote:
TwoPieceFeed wrote:I'm done with Lotrek.

I'm done with JR.

Paul Carpenter is still going strong.

I'm done with Giovanni.

Alex Chin is still going strong for me as well.
Interesting list. I'm not done with Lotrek, I just can't afford him!

I am also done with Jackson Robinson. As in "never again" done. As in "you're dead to me" done. As in "even if you're the last deck on earth" done.

I only loved two decks from Paul: Zenith and Chancellor. The rest of his decks are merely OK, there's a bit of not living up to the hype going on.

I might be done with Giovanni. I like everything I've got from him, but its become the same old same old.

Always looking for what Alex Chin does next.

Lorenzo does just enough so that it doesn't seem like the same old same old so he's still going very strong for me as well.

I still like Randy Butterfield, he makes decks that are meant to be used and I appreciate that.

The designer I will never get tired of is Uusi! If they ever design a UC Annual deck my head will explode. God, I wish they would start another series of custom playing cards.
I'm there on the bolded, too. He's a legend in playing card history, though.

I think where Paul falls short is his court cards. They always seem kind of "standard". I can't speak to his process but I feel that if he put work into making them stand out against each other in each "series" then his decks would be more beloved. I still love everything he's done.

I'm one of those few people that don't really have any interest in Randy Butterfield's stuff. I've definitely thought about backing his projects or buying some of his decks like the Lux series but he just doesn't make the cut for me (sorry, Randy, I know you're a good contributor to the site). The same goes for Uusi. Their stuff just isn't my style.

I'd really like 52+Joker to consider Lorenzo for the 2018 Club Deck design (if he's interested).
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
Bradius

Unread post by Bradius »

Okay, back to the House of the Rising Spade deck. Which one of the draft courts gets you excited and why?

As I stated earlier, for me it is the Jack of Spades. It is just flat out wicked with the obsured hood and draped snake. That card means business, and without any unnecessary blood dripping extras. I just would not want to see him coming out of the dark mists toward me. And that fits the deck name, House of the Rising Spade too. The spades need to be the ones that chill your blood.
theCapraAegagrus

Bradius wrote:Okay, back to the House of the Rising Spade deck. Which one of the draft courts gets you excited and why?

As I stated earlier, for me it is the Jack of Spades. It is just flat out wicked with the obsured hood and draped snake. That card means business, and without any unnecessary blood dripping extras. I just would not want to see him coming out of the dark mists toward me. And that fits the deck name, House of the Rising Spade too. The spades need to be the ones that chill your blood.
Buzz Killington...

I agree on the Jack of Spades. Jack of Diamonds looks too feminine. I'm a little confused on the character orientation, though. The Spade is the only Jack not in side-profile stance. Then, the Queens are oriented by color (black: side, red: front). Then all 4 Jacks are drawn side-profiled...

I'd honestly prefer all Spades to be front-profiled and all 9 other courts are side-profiled, since as mentioned, this is the House of the Rising Spade...
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
NineLives
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by NineLives »

Oh it's hard to pick favourites :) I do like the Jack's pets, reminds me of the daemons in 'His Dark Materials' - the soul of the character, if you like.
Strongest characters for me (at the moment) are: QoD, JoH and KoH (though they're all great!) :)
Stockholm17
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

thanx everyone for the feedback :)

I understand that some courts are more appealing than others for some reason, but it depends by your tastes.
Anyway, here is a rendering that I just posted. This is how I want to color the court cards :)

I hope you like it!

Bradius

Unread post by Bradius »

Exquisite is the word I prefer to use for your playing cards, and this is no exception. :shock: :drool:
RoyalSecretCards
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

Unread post by RoyalSecretCards »

Yes, definitely great court cards. GJ
Shade
White Whale: Grotesk silver bronze
Decks Owned: 4159

Unread post by Shade »

I also think the King of Clubs also looks too feminine. Not his head and face, I believe it is the arch in his back and his upper arm. His beard also doesn't do it for me, makes him look like he has breasts.

The rest look damn good. I really like the hawk, and dog on the Jacks. The lack of indexes in interesting. Would take me a while to differentiate the Jacks from Kings. Assume that is why most of the kings have no face, although the King of clubs does & the Jack of spaces seems to not have a face as well. Might want to make all the kings faceless as well to help differentiate them.
TwoPieceFeed wrote: I agree on the Jack of Spades. Jack of Diamonds looks too feminine. I'm a little confused on the character orientation, though. The Spade is the only Jack not in side-profile stance. Then, the Queens are oriented by color (black: side, red: front). Then all 4 Jacks are drawn side-profiled...

I'd honestly prefer all Spades to be front-profiled and all 9 other courts are side-profiled, since as mentioned, this is the House of the Rising Spade...
Better to Burn Out than Fade Away...
portcullis
Decks Owned: 440

Unread post by portcullis »

I said I'd make up my mind on seeing the courts. One request, can you hold off until next year?
Stockholm17
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

and here is the king of hearts, but I will need to tweak a bit the mess under the sword. That belt make a bit of visual noise.
Enjoy the lionhead king :)

Räpylätassu
White Whale: Black Palekh from 1937

Unread post by Räpylätassu »

Yes. Yes. Yes. For the love of Nutella Jesus yes. My body is ready.
Left my heart in SIERRA MADRE

"Finding it... that's not the hard part. It's letting go."

"One makes a trip by day, but by night one sets out on a journey." -Moominmamma

I dream of a world where wars are fought only by having dance offs. I also dream that a Finnish playing card designer would exist. The former seems more likely to happend.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a penguin. Have you ever met a sad person with a penguin?

Are lobsters mermaids to scorpions?

"I did not hit her, it's not true, it's bullsh*t, I did not hit her, I did naaaht! Oh hai Mark!"

MY TRADELIST

MY TOP 150 DECKS

MY PORTFOLIO52 PAGE
RichK
Decks Owned: 250

Unread post by RichK »

The white sword looks out of place to me. I saw the QoS had a line around her odd black weapon, maybe red line around Hearts/Diamonds weapons? I know it will throw off your other white lines though. Ugh, card design. :D
Move on, nothing to see here.
Stockholm17
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Just to keep you posted, to those not following/using facebook or instagram

here the Jack of clubs and the Queen of Diamonds.
Remember that when I am done with the 12 courts, i let them "rest" for a while far from my eyes and I will certainly do a few tweaks/changes/adds/fixes in better.

I hope you like them!

RDC

Unread post by RDC »

Love it. Really looking forward to this deck.
RichK
Decks Owned: 250

Unread post by RichK »

RDC wrote:Love it. Really looking forward to this deck.
+1 for me!
Move on, nothing to see here.
Stockholm17
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

King of Diamonds ready, some tweak needed, but i do it later :)

Bradius

Unread post by Bradius »

I like the King of Diamonds now. The white sword is interesting, but I think it works great and it goes with the rays of light behind the queen of diamonds. I guess I will have to get used to his visor down.
Räpylätassu
White Whale: Black Palekh from 1937

Unread post by Räpylätassu »

For me Gemini is the best designed playing card deck I have ever seen... Or was rather. This is not even complete and I have never seen better design on custom playing cards.
Left my heart in SIERRA MADRE

"Finding it... that's not the hard part. It's letting go."

"One makes a trip by day, but by night one sets out on a journey." -Moominmamma

I dream of a world where wars are fought only by having dance offs. I also dream that a Finnish playing card designer would exist. The former seems more likely to happend.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a penguin. Have you ever met a sad person with a penguin?

Are lobsters mermaids to scorpions?

"I did not hit her, it's not true, it's bullsh*t, I did not hit her, I did naaaht! Oh hai Mark!"

MY TRADELIST

MY TOP 150 DECKS

MY PORTFOLIO52 PAGE
Stockholm17
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Hi all!

thank you for the feedback! I always collect all the suggestions/feedbacks and I do tweaks when I am done with all the cards.
I am very glad that you like it, I invest a lot of time in concept and sketches, that's why I release max 2 decks each year.

More court cards soon, working on it :)