Three Little Pigs Playing Cards

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
Fes
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
White Whale: The Dude Deck

Re: Three Little Pigs Playing Cards

Unread post by Fes »

Joker and the Thief wrote:
jerichoholic wrote:If costs are an issue why bother customizing any court cards then?
Because people will then complain about standard courts.

Yes, in this instance, Three Little Pigs' courts are in fact repeated, but they are tastefully done.
Best of luck to the guys at Pure Imagination Projects, wishing them success and all the best.
I agree about these courts. They are very tastefully done. Depending on what a person wants out of this deck, I think it fills many purposes. For me usability is what it comes down to most often. Then again I am somewhat of an eccentric and I pick up decks for odd reasons, the number one reason being I like playing cards. I like them a lot.

Back on the courts here though. I think we see thought going into these repeating courts that is often lacking. This can give a lot of people into a bias of repeating courts are bad, because of past experience with them as many decks have done repeating courts to a much lesser extent than these. Here we have color changes within the detailed field of the charming little piggies as well as the areas that were designed into the illustrations to specifically house suit indicators. The shields the pigs are holding seem minor and are easy to overlook but there is a stroke of brilliance there. As well as the cut out along the frame for the custom Pip. The frame itself is very well done too giving that little touch of extra distance between frame and indices makes the indices show up nice and bold. It all adds up to a very classy look.

There is a lot to like for me on this deck. I don't think that these repeating courts hold it back at all. Really good stuff here.
TL:DR It's completely up to you.
We can still be friends.
I actually like playing cards.
We live in interesting times.
TGunitedcardists

Unread post by TGunitedcardists »

th4mo wrote: This is what always gets me about people who talk about how much "effort" went into designing a deck or any other product. It doesn't mean a damn thing! ;) What matters is the final product and how it measures up to the competition. The claims about the amount of time and effort put into a project have become a running joke around here precisely because they usually originate from projects that are not that impressive. It's almost like the creators know they are falling short, and start off from a defensive posture.

The fact is that this deck exists in a market that has become saturated, and where collectors are becoming more discerning. Yes, you ARE competing again Jackson and Uusi, and Lorenzo and Giovanni and Lotrek and many others who have set the bar very high. And I may be wrong, but I don't recall ever hearing any of those folks focus on how much "effort" went into their decks... Maybe as a general discussion, but never as a selling point. The decks that get the highest accolades around here tend to be labors of love, and it shows. You can complain all you want about how much it costs to hire a professional artist, but that just makes me question the motivation for this deck in the first place. Is it purely a money making enterprise? If so, there is nothing wrong with that. But, when the highest grossing deck creators discuss the finances of their projects, it's clear that nobody is getting rich on playing cards, at least not on Kickstarter. So is it even a smart business choice to attempt a KS where you need to pay a professional artist? Perhaps not?
x100 This is how I view things.

For this Three Little Pigs deck, the tuck is nice and the Aces are pretty good. I think the idea is better than the execution. The Joker idea is also nice, but not not elaborate enough and the court cards aren't up to the same standard of the Aces. They look like two different artists designed them, and the lesser artist did the court cards. It feels, "lazy." Spend the extra time and come up with kickass court cards. The ones in this deck are not kickass at all.

For people talking about how non-repeating court cards cost too much, I don't buy that argument at all. I think designers are better going with standard court cards, and all custom Aces rather than custom Aces and repeating courts. Also, there are artists like Emmanuel Jose who go the extra mile and do 54-58 custom cards.

The only way to urge designers to rethink this repeating court card garbage is not to encourage them, and don't buy/pledge (speaking with your wallet). It's obvious from the Kickstarter details that $2,000 of the $12,000 goal with 28 days to go that this project will not fund.

This deck is not for me, and I'm on the not buying/pledging on any repeating court card decks.
shermjack
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Unread post by shermjack »

Why is the Q so small compared to the K/J? Does anyone else other than me think that it looks strange? :?
A deck a day helps keep the addiction at bay!

Check out my collection on Instagram @caratcasecreations
flyers3003
White Whale: Original Rarebit

Unread post by flyers3003 »

shermjack wrote:Why is the Q so small compared to the K/J? Does anyone else other than me think that it looks strange? :?
Yes. That is the biggest reason for me not to buy these. I can get past the repeating courts, although I would prefer they weren't. But the queens are so small compared to the Kings and Jacks that I can't overlook it and pull the trigger on these. Really quite a shame as this had potential but fell drastically short.
sinjin7
Cardist: Yes
Decks Owned: 1500

Unread post by sinjin7 »

Look, we live in a real world where things aren't free, so I think there may be some validity to the argument that repeating courts may result as a function of keeping costs down low enough to make it economically feasible enough to produce a custom deck for some people. But in that same real world, the vast majority of consumers of custom playing cards overwhelmingly prefer non-repeating courts. So if someone is going to design/produce a custom deck, they really need to factor in the cost of artwork for non-repeating courts if they want to produce a custom deck with the greatest chance of success acceptance among the playing card community. I can think of only one deck with repeating courts that was favorably received by most of the collecting community, and that is the JAQK deck. But as nice as the JAQK deck is, it would be all the more awesome if the courts didn't repeat.

It seems the majority of comments in this thread reflect appreciation of the design of the Three Little Pigs deck, but for many the repeating courts is an unfortunate deal-breaker. Between the two options, I would personally prefer standard courts over repeating courts, especially if the tuck box, back design, aces, and jokers are designed well enough to offset and overcome the handicap of standard courts. But obviously the best option is a well designed, fully customized deck with non-repeating courts, and this is the only type of deck I find myself buying now. There are just too many really good fully custom decks coming out these days for me to spend too much time or money considering "custom" decks with standard courts. And if the courts repeat, that deck most likely will not make the cut.
vasta41
Card Oracle
Card Oracle

Unread post by vasta41 »

sinjin7 wrote:I can think of only one deck with repeating courts that was favorably received by most of the collecting community, and that is the JAQK deck. But as nice as the JAQK deck is, it would be all the more awesome if the courts didn't repeat.
While I agree I would also argue that the overall theme of the JAQK decks was a very mod, 50's-style, almost minimalist design. And while custom courts would have been nice, non-custom courts didn't ruin the deck. In fact, repeating courts aren't the reason I won't pledge for this deck. I think the truth of the matter (for me anyway) is that all the other aspects of the deck are above-standard (aces, back, tuck, pips) so the expectation of the courts is inherently higher but falls short. But above all, the main reason I won't pledge is the $17 price tag which I know is due to the cost of artwork. But why does it seem that most of the decks I pledge for either don't have that problem or are justified by its features?
TGunitedcardists

Unread post by TGunitedcardists »

sinjin7 wrote: It seems the majority of comments in this thread reflect appreciation of the design of the Three Little Pigs deck, but for many the repeating courts is an unfortunate deal-breaker. Between the two options, I would personally prefer standard courts over repeating courts, especially if the tuck box, back design, aces, and jokers are designed well enough to offset and overcome the handicap of standard courts. But obviously the best option is a well designed, fully customized deck with non-repeating courts, and this is the only type of deck I find myself buying now. There are just too many really good fully custom decks coming out these days for me to spend too much time or money considering "custom" decks with standard courts. And if the courts repeat, that deck most likely will not make the cut.
https://youtu.be/9mmF8zOlh_g" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bikefanatic
Decks Owned: 333

Unread post by Bikefanatic »

"I'll huff and puff and blow away this deck of cards!" Since it won't fund, gotta pay attention to suggestions given on here.
"When I like something, I buy. No matter who did it, how many were printed or how many (re)colors exist.

When I don't like something, I pass. No matter who did it, how many were printed or how many (re)colors exist."

-Lotrek

*MY PORTFOLIO52 PROFILE https://portfolio52.com/profile/26674

* MY SELLER REVIEW viewtopic.php?f=28&t=16586
PrincessTrouble

Unread post by PrincessTrouble »

Canceled.
vasta41
Card Oracle
Card Oracle

Unread post by vasta41 »

PrincessTrouble wrote:Canceled.
I guess I was proven wrong- the courts won't be repeating. In fact, there won't be any at all! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Azid

Unread post by Azid »

This is now available at Art of Play with a RED back design instead of the green from Kickstarter.

https://www.artofplay.com/collections/p ... ittle-pigs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;