Ellusionist Knights Playing Cards designed by Oban Jones

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
vasta41
Card Oracle
Card Oracle

Ellusionist Knights Playing Cards designed by Oban Jones

Unread post by vasta41 »

The Knight is the most devastating and unpredictable piece on the board. It is the only piece capable of escaping its opponents by leaping over them.
Daniel Madison and Chris Ramsay have teamed up to bring you one of the most elegant and refined decks to ever come out of USPCC.
A crushed stock, coupled with a smooth finish and traditional cut, make this deck feel as good as it looks.

A few surprises lie within the simplistic and classic matt white and gold foil tuck. These hidden features embody the aesthetics and practicality which appeal to magicians, gamblers and chess players alike.
Metallic Gold ink coupled with original art work from the insanely creative mind of Oban Jones brings this iconic piece of design to life before your very eyes.

http://www.ellusionist.com/knights-playing-cards.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not bad. Not that amazing but not bad for E nowadays.
cere23

Re: Ellusionist Knights Playing Cards designed by Oban Jones

Unread post by cere23 »

Very nice, really like the backs, however I vow never to purchase cards with magician faces.
Stepchild
Collector: Yes
Decks Owned: 146

Unread post by Stepchild »

Seconded. An egoist blight on card design.

I do really like the back design and can't help but feel that -- if the courts had to be redrawn (of course, they'll actually mostly be re-used, but whatever) -- then wouldn't have been more in aid of the deck's theme to have used chess masters??
Räpylätassu
Player: Yes
White Whale: Black Palekh from 1937
Decks Owned: 700

Unread post by Räpylätassu »

Left my heart in SIERRA MADRE

"Finding it... that's not the hard part. It's letting go."

"One makes a trip by day, but by night one sets out on a journey." -Moominmamma

I dream of a world where wars are fought only by having dance offs. I also dream that a Finnish playing card designer would exist. The former seems more likely to happend.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a penguin. Have you ever met a sad person with a penguin?

Are lobsters mermaids to scorpions?

"I did not hit her, it's not true, it's bullsh*t, I did not hit her, I did naaaht! Oh hai Mark!"

MY TRADELIST

MY TOP 150 DECKS

MY PORTFOLIO52 PAGE
vasta41
Card Oracle
Card Oracle

Unread post by vasta41 »

If the same attention to detail that was spent on the AoS inside the tuck was spent on the courts and outside of the tuck, they'd have an awesome deck here! But as it is it's still not bad. I have to give them credit for coming up with a cool theme which is something E hasn't done in YEARS. But I love how they just couldn't help themselves- they FINALLY make a Madison-free deck but just HAD to integrate him somehow by making him a court :lol:
jerichoholic
White Whale: Many
Decks Owned: 4800

Unread post by jerichoholic »

I'll agree with that. Too many times there is too much effort put into designing the inside of the tuck and not enough on the cards. D&D have decks guilty of this too.
Save 10% at Playing Card Decks here - https://app.marsello.com/Portal/Custom/ ... 561772eaee
Save 10% at Card Addiction here using code VJOSE32 - https://card-addiction.com/?ref=1efow7c06m
Check out my collection - http://portfolio52.com/profile/124
Check out my reviews - https://www.youtube.com/vjose32
The Card Club - https://www.facebook.com/groups/vjose32
Instagram - http://www.instagram.com/vjose32
Game Collection - https://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/vjose32
RichK
Decks Owned: 250

Unread post by RichK »

N00b question: What is "crushed stock" vs other stocks? Guess I'm asking about all other stocks too. Thanks.
Move on, nothing to see here.
vasta41
Card Oracle
Card Oracle

Unread post by vasta41 »

RichK wrote:N00b question: What is "crushed stock" vs other stocks? Guess I'm asking about all other stocks too. Thanks.
I believe that it's thinner than their other stocks and has only been around for a year or so.
RichK

Unread post by RichK »

vasta41 wrote:
RichK wrote:N00b question: What is "crushed stock" vs other stocks? Guess I'm asking about all other stocks too. Thanks.
I believe that it's thinner than their other stocks and has only been around for a year or so.
Thanks.
Fes
White Whale: The Dude Deck

Unread post by Fes »

All USPC stocks are crushed together so by default every card stock is a crushed stock. USPC takes two rolls of paper, adds a thin coat of glue and crushes them together to a certain thickness. Bee stock is thicker than Bike stock which were the only two stocks that USPC really made previous to the latest which is Thin Crush (used in Blue Choice Playing Cards from Penguin Magic this year) and it is thinner than Bike stock. All stocks will vary in thickness to some degree due to the process of creating a deck of playing cards. On this deck in particular it's more than likely this is Bike stock, it's what's usually found on E decks. If it's Thin Crush then you will be able to notice a difference of about 3-4 cards worth of thickness across the deck.
TL:DR It's completely up to you.
We can still be friends.
I actually like playing cards.
We live in interesting times.
RichK

Unread post by RichK »

Fes wrote:

All USPC stocks are crushed together so by default every card stock is a crushed stock. USPC takes two rolls of paper, adds a thin coat of glue and crushes them together to a certain thickness. Bee stock is thicker than Bike stock which were the only two stocks that USPC really made previous to the latest which is Thin Crush (used in Blue Choice Playing Cards from Penguin Magic this year) and it is thinner than Bike stock. All stocks will vary in thickness to some degree due to the process of creating a deck of playing cards. On this deck in particular it's more than likely this is Bike stock, it's what's usually found on E decks. If it's Thin Crush then you will be able to notice a difference of about 3-4 cards worth of thickness across the deck.
Thanks Fes. Very interesting.
Azid

Unread post by Azid »

Sorry for offtopic,
For stock, cut, finish,... i recommend this video by magicorthodoxy :

Greets, Azid
hikeeba

Unread post by hikeeba »

Just got my BC freebie in:

I think vasta has it spot-on: they just can't help themselves. Besides the court faces, they had to mark them. Bottom left/upper right different orders of the pieces identifies the rank. Just odd that the man who advertises he was almost being killed cheating for realZ keeps pumping out marked decks.
Anyways - stock is very nice, love the traditional cut and the gold-for-red works for me. Not sure why the "hidden feature" of marking would appeal to a chess player, though (or how they're "iconic").
Those of you who have already passed on these are way ahead of the curve!

...so, I guess they never did give out a prize for that 'change our motto' contest from years ago....i will propose a new one anyways:

ellusionist: we just can't help ourselves
rousselle
Site Admin
Site Admin
Magician: Yes

Unread post by rousselle »

hikeeba wrote:Just got my BC freebie in:

I think vasta has it spot-on: they just can't help themselves. Besides the court faces, they had to mark them. Bottom left/upper right different orders of the pieces identifies the rank. Just odd that the man who advertises he was almost being killed cheating for realZ keeps pumping out marked decks.
Anyways - stock is very nice, love the traditional cut and the gold-for-red works for me. Not sure why the "hidden feature" of marking would appeal to a chess player, though (or how they're "iconic").
Those of you who have already passed on these are way ahead of the curve!

...so, I guess they never did give out a prize for that 'change our motto' contest from years ago....i will propose a new one anyways:

ellusionist: we just can't help ourselves
Did they provide you with a guide to the marking system? Or, is this a "figure it out on your own?"
This space intentionally left blank.
hikeeba

Unread post by hikeeba »

In the spirit of Kelvin Thompson (inventor of the "Git it yo self service") you have to figure it out your damn self.

Thanks, e!
Trungbreezy

Unread post by Trungbreezy »

New recolor red knights coming out a picture was on there instagram @ellusionist

https://www.instagram.com/p/BWXyUKtnFoG ... llusionist" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Instagram: @sj_cardcollector
rousselle
Site Admin
Site Admin

If that's red foil on the backs, I'm all over this.
shaitani
Cardist: Yes
White Whale: Artistic Spring

Unread post by shaitani »

I'll definitely pick one up too because I liked the first ones a lot, but I'm wondering if red is the right color for this deck...
Knights has this edge of subtlety to it, of cleanliness. It seems odd to have a bright flashy red on white. I think silver might have been a better choice.
theCapraAegagrus

Unread post by theCapraAegagrus »

Sadly, Ellusionist has struggled to attract me as a customer since 2014, and their PR has actually pushed me far away from their products.

I have never purchased a Madison product with his logo. Those decks are atrocious.

That being said, the Knights deck is one of the few products I've "had to" purchase from them lately. I look forward to this.
rousselle wrote:You are a fussy, picky guy.
Lotrek wrote:Given the number of morons produced in the world every day, a pessimist is actually a well informed realist.
Räpylätassu wrote:"Tyhmyydestä sakotetaan." You get fined for being stupid.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
Azid

Unread post by Azid »

Imo Aurelian and Knights were the best decks from ellusionist in the last ~3 years, so i'm looking forward to this.

Red Knights will be released tomorrow, click the link for a pic of the tuck: https://www.instagram.com/p/BWaDCYXnWy4 ... llusionist" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
shaitani
Cardist: Yes
White Whale: Artistic Spring

Unread post by shaitani »

Damn, that tuck actually looks amazing. Gold on red works. I hope I'm wrong about the red on white for the cards though.

I know a lot of people didn't like that the Knights were marked or the courts put the creators faces on them, but if you can look past that, Knights are probably my favorite deck from Ellusionist.
vasta41
Card Oracle
Card Oracle

Unread post by vasta41 »

Looks like foiled backs... and only $10 each! What's the catch??
Once again Daniel Madison & Chris Ramsay have teamed up to bring you the second entry in the Knights saga.

A crushed stock, coupled with a smooth finish, red foil backs and a traditional cut make his deck feel as good as it looks.

A few surprises lie within the simplistic and classic matte red and gold foil tuck. These hidden features embody the aesthetics and practicality which appeal to magicians, gamblers and chess players alike.

These are the Red Knights Playing Cards.

Your move...
http://www.ellusionist.com/red-knights.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PrincessTrouble

Unread post by PrincessTrouble »

vasta41 wrote:Looks like foiled backs... and only $10 each! What's the catch??
Once again Daniel Madison & Chris Ramsay have teamed up to bring you the second entry in the Knights saga.

A crushed stock, coupled with a smooth finish, red foil backs and a traditional cut make his deck feel as good as it looks.

A few surprises lie within the simplistic and classic matte red and gold foil tuck. These hidden features embody the aesthetics and practicality which appeal to magicians, gamblers and chess players alike.

These are the Red Knights Playing Cards.

Your move...
http://www.ellusionist.com/red-knights.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You'd think they'd feature the foiled backs more. I can't even tell the backs are foiled from the pictures.
vasta41
Card Oracle
Card Oracle

Unread post by vasta41 »

Something seems amiss here. Ellusionist, the creators of over-hyped nonsense, make a deck with a supposed foil back and only mention it in passing within once sentence? And then on top of it only charge $10 without so much as even hinting to us how good of a deal it is? That doesn't sound like them. But one thing does have me concerned- the lack of the term 'Metalluxe.' If the backs truly are foiled then why wouldn't they mention Metalluxe? It just doesn't add up.
PrincessTrouble

I wonder if it's red metallic ink rather than red foil on the backs. I ordered a couple, so I guess I'll see soon enough. But I'm preparing to be disappointed with no foil.
vasta41
Card Oracle
Card Oracle

Unread post by vasta41 »

PrincessTrouble wrote:I wonder if it's red metallic ink rather than red foil on the backs. I ordered a couple, so I guess I'll see soon enough. But I'm preparing to be disappointed with no foil.
If that's the case then the statement I quoted from my e-mail is a blatant lie by them. It clearly states that the backs are foiled. sinjin, our resident lawyer: can you please chime in here? :arrow:
RichK

Unread post by RichK »

vasta41 wrote:
PrincessTrouble wrote:I wonder if it's red metallic ink rather than red foil on the backs. I ordered a couple, so I guess I'll see soon enough. But I'm preparing to be disappointed with no foil.
If that's the case then the statement I quoted from my e-mail is a blatant lie by them. It clearly states that the backs are foiled. sinjin, our resident lawyer: can you please chime in here? :arrow:
Far from sinjin as a lawyer but their page says "crushed stock, smooth finish, tradiutioinal cut, red foil backs".

If it's not red foil I'll be pissed.
rousselle
Site Admin
Site Admin

I recall Theory11 not too long ago releasing a deck with full foiling on the back at the $10 price point.

I'm as cynical as the next guy (probably more; I think the next guy is just pretending), but I'm expecting this to be exactly what they are promising, and totally worth the price of admission. Boo-ya.
PrincessTrouble

Does anyone know if the reds are marked?
jsantafe

Unread post by jsantafe »

When I saw the Instagram video, I thought they weren't, as Madison flips the corners and they seem all the same, but the description implies otherwise.
JS

Every deck I open makes your sealed one more valuable. You're welcome.