52+joker 2016 deck

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
Cbkimble
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Decks Owned: 363

52+joker 2016 deck

Unread post by Cbkimble »

I've quite busy but figured someone else would have started this topic. I can order these and ship them for $35(US shipping paid). Let me know if you're interested.

The 52+ Joker 2016 deck was designed by Mark Stutzman.

Feeding the addiction one deck at a time.
Bikefanatic
Decks Owned: 333

Re: 52+joker 2016 deck

Unread post by Bikefanatic »

The orange and black tuck doesn't look like it matches the deck backs.
"When I like something, I buy. No matter who did it, how many were printed or how many (re)colors exist.

When I don't like something, I pass. No matter who did it, how many were printed or how many (re)colors exist."

-Lotrek

*MY PORTFOLIO52 PROFILE https://portfolio52.com/profile/26674

* MY SELLER REVIEW viewtopic.php?f=28&t=16586
Calypso

Unread post by Calypso »

Interested!

One, please. :)
JuFiN
White Whale: Delirium Signature
Decks Owned: 1000

Unread post by JuFiN »

Tuck is amazing, faces are pretty darn good, card backs really lacking in comparison in my opinion.
Cbkimble
Decks Owned: 363

Unread post by Cbkimble »

Bikefanatic wrote:The orange and black tuck doesn't look like it matches the deck backs.
The colors don't match with the tuck and the back of the deck but the image does. The back of the tuck is the same image as the back of the cards. The tuck is foiled to give elegance.
Feeding the addiction one deck at a time.
Tayranno
Cardist: Yes
Decks Owned: 47

Unread post by Tayranno »

Count me in for one. :)
PrincessTrouble

Unread post by PrincessTrouble »

Here are some bigger pics (last awesome one is from Sparkz).

vasta41
Card Oracle
Card Oracle

Unread post by vasta41 »

I'm diggin' these- thanks for the hook-up, Brent!
sms69x
Magician: Yes
Decks Owned: 700

Unread post by sms69x »

Just saw this (by VJose):

(Unless this is a gaff card) it seems that are those that aren't as perfectionists as Lotrek and are satisfied with a lesser deck... Very happy that I didn't got these, was about to pull the trigger, but after seems this, HELL NO...
PrincessTrouble

I'll open a deck tonight and check it. But doubt it's a gaff card. :( This blows!
rousselle
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by rousselle »

I took a look at mine this morning before heading into work. Yep, that's the real deal; that's the 6 of clubs, and it has the wrong number of pips.

This deck is interesting in many ways, in that it is good, but it's missing anything special (the previous two club 52+J decks, by contrast, each had special additional touches that lifted them above and beyond a typical commemorative deck.)

The tuck is very good, and the card backs are very good, but they really don't match each other at all. The tuck is accented with copper foil; there is nothing coppery or foily about the cards. It's as if the tuck and the cards belong to two separate-but-related (ish) projects.

The face cards look like they *should* be accented with metallic inks, but if they are metallic inks, they are really missing the reflective properties that metallic inks usually display. (This has been true of some T11 and E decks in years past.)

The cards themselves are a totally fine example of EPCC quality.

But, yeah, there's that six of clubs.

I'm not trying to pile on here. I appreciate that a lot of effort went into these decks, and we all know that mistakes happen. Rather, this was billed as a premium deck, and it comes after a pretty high water mark set by Jackson Robinson and Paul Carpenter. Unfortunately, this year's entry doesn't quite live up to expectations.
This space intentionally left blank.
sms69x

Unread post by sms69x »

rousselle wrote:.... Rather, this was billed as a premium deck....
Yeah, pretty much that. A premium deck intended only to make profit on. As the lazy quality control proved by letting this tremendous mistake flying by...
PrincessTrouble

Not cool!
IMG_2123.JPG
Bikefanatic
Decks Owned: 333

Unread post by Bikefanatic »

:lol: Only numbered gaff card I seen was the #13 in the Bicycle Brimstone deck. Ironically the 7 and 6 equals that.

Along with rousselle, glad I'm not the only one who finds the tuck and back colors odd.
"When I like something, I buy. No matter who did it, how many were printed or how many (re)colors exist.

When I don't like something, I pass. No matter who did it, how many were printed or how many (re)colors exist."

-Lotrek

*MY PORTFOLIO52 PROFILE https://portfolio52.com/profile/26674

* MY SELLER REVIEW viewtopic.php?f=28&t=16586
RichK
Decks Owned: 250

Unread post by RichK »

Those backs have an almost Nouveau BIJOUX look to them.
Move on, nothing to see here.
Azid

Unread post by Azid »

rousselle wrote: I'm not trying to pile on here. I appreciate that a lot of effort went into these decks, and we all know that mistakes happen. Rather, this was billed as a premium deck, and it comes after a pretty high water mark set by Jackson Robinson and Paul Carpenter. Unfortunately, this year's entry doesn't quite live up to expectations.
Exactly! I don't know why this costs ~ 35$, as the 2014 and 2015 Edition had foiled backs.
Fes
White Whale: The Dude Deck

Unread post by Fes »

It's not an inexpensive deck that's certain. I won't judge any 52+ deck against another, that's just not for me to do at all. I enjoy them all and each of the styles speak for themselves, I think they're all quite good. Human errors happen, regardless of an oversight on the pips of the six of spades. It is still a very well done deck by Mark Stutzman. It's still limited to 500 decks. In my opinion it's worth every cent of that $35 US price tag. I am a big Mark Stutzman fan and I would pay more for those Jokers alone. Gorgeous deck in my opinion. I love the play on the black tuck with foil, it's like it taunts to be opened. Pop the lid and the colors jump out at you. Dramatic then playful, that's some showmanship there.

I kind of wonder what people were expecting the deck to be like that it didn't live up to. There was no hype. No grand claims. I just don't understand that part of things but it is what it is. I didn't expect the 52+ deck this year to be designed by Mark Stutzman, when I heard he did I was beside myself. I don't feel let down at all, quiet the opposite I'm thrilled to have this deck arriving.
TL:DR It's completely up to you.
We can still be friends.
I actually like playing cards.
We live in interesting times.
Stepchild
Decks Owned: 146

Unread post by Stepchild »

I agree this is a beautiful deck and I am a big fan of Stuzman's work all around. I was very very ready to pull the trigger on a pair of these.

However...

You cannot sell me a deck that has the wrong pip count on a card face. That's just absurd. Errors will happen, sure. And when they are of this type, you have to fix them, IMO.

You certainly have to disclose them when you're trying to sell the deck. As of now, the club site doesn't disclose the problem. Not acceptable.
sinjin7
Cardist: Yes
Decks Owned: 1500

Unread post by sinjin7 »

Fes wrote:I kind of wonder what people were expecting the deck to be like that it didn't live up to.
Well, for starters, they're charging $35.00 per deck, and that's with no foiling on the backs or gilding on the edges. If you're going to charge me the ultra high premium of roughly three times what a typical custom deck costs, at least have the commensurate quality control and make sure you don't make such fundamental errors.
rrot wrote:You cannot sell me a deck that has the wrong pip count on a card face. That's just absurd. Errors will happen, sure. And when they are of this type, you have to fix them, IMO.

You certainly have to disclose them when you're trying to sell the deck. As of now, the club site doesn't disclose the problem. Not acceptable.
Exactly. They had to have known there was this huge screw up before they sold their first deck. If they actually didn't know, this degree of cluelessness rises to outright negligence. If they did know, then it borders on fraudulence. They have to put out a disclaimer. But that would put them in a pickle. They would have to say, "This deck is defective to the degree that basic playability may be compromised. Oh, but we'd still like for you to fork over 35 bucks for this deck...."
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin
White Whale: OG USPCC Vanity Fair [mint]
Decks Owned: 7800

Unread post by Mike Ratledge »

PrincessTrouble wrote:Not cool!
IMG_2123.JPG
Andrea, has anyone posted this over on the club forum?

As many as it is, the right thing to do would be to get ten sheets of 52 printed and replace the single card for buyers. I suppose that if you had charged $8-$12 you could duck, but for $35 you expect better. I mean, it certainly wasn't done on purpose, but overlooking something like this is odd, and we have seen decks held up, reprinted or single cards replaced more than once recently.
>Mike<
"You can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself"
They say "Ignorance is bliss". Obviously, some people are much happier than others...

Members are encouraged to
Show Us Your Cards!

Our UC2021 Decks entitled
"Odd Fellows"
by Lorenzo Gaggiotti / @Stockholm17
Coming soon: AKA
«Eighth Annual Decks»

UC members help maintain Portfolio52
THE Playing Card Database Online
Contact ecNate for details and access

UC2019 "Seventh Annual Decks"
by Montenzi Design
Funded 207% on KS: HERE

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

Insert disclaimer here...
All information posted as fact is accurate at the time of posting to the best of my knowledge.
52JokesandCounting

Unread post by 52JokesandCounting »

Mike Ratledge wrote: Andrea, has anyone posted this over on the club forum?
It appears that they didn't realise the mistake until someone posted the photo on the forum.
I quote Lee Asher response to another poster.
"While I understand your passion, I think it's a bit misguided. Sure it's a $35 deck, but what this really is ... is an original club deck created by Mark Stutzman. There are only 500, and they are just for our membership. You won't see them advertised outside of our club.

What surprises me the most is not a single person has spoken about all the Tom Dawson homage found within this deck. Please take a moment to look passed Pip-Gate, and you'll find the cool intricacies Mark embedded in memory of Tom."
"Mistakes were made before it went to print. No one caught it."
Bruno
Decks Owned: 0

Unread post by Bruno »

Weird no-one has o dear/mea culped :? :shock:
Assume that a patch/fix is in hurried manufacture :oops:
O, I beg of you your comprehensions,
yet laugh at your contempts ....
my only competition is with myselves.

But Lèse-majesté, especially >Normans, natch.

Is jarnstill the Ars of the Hors Nebulous ?
Neigh .... the Effluxor of the Omniverse ??
sms69x

Unread post by sms69x »

52JokesandCounting wrote: I quote Lee Asher response to another poster.
"While I understand your passion, I think it's a bit misguided. Sure it's a $35 deck, but what this really is ... is an original club deck created by Mark Stutzman. There are only 500, and they are just for our membership. You won't see them advertised outside of our club.

What surprises me the most is not a single person has spoken about all the Tom Dawson homage found within this deck. Please take a moment to look passed Pip-Gate, and you'll find the cool intricacies Mark embedded in memory of Tom."
"Mistakes were made before it went to print. No one caught it."
Really?? Did this guy wrote this to justify the error?? What a Clown...
You should forget that the deck is not a deck anymore because it is designed by Mark Stutzman and is an homage to Tom Dawson so $35 for this this is totally justified!!
Coming for the guy that creates the ARTIFICIAL rarety of the JN's to sell them for $300+ shouldn't surprise anyone...
I would say to the guy: "Please see past the $$$ and do the right thing to the people that bought the deck."
sprouts1115
Deck Artist
Deck Artist
Decks Owned: 50

Unread post by sprouts1115 »

I guess they call this Damage Control. If you notice, it's Don. He is the guy who practically runs that other site. It seems like they are not planning to fix this even though in the past ppl who had errors have fixed broken decks. Any examples? I forget which ones...

I'm sure ppl are disappointed with buying a $35 premium broken deck. Sorta like this guy who hates cheap plastic couplings with his premium engine.
---------------------> Click Here
Attachments
Screenshot 2016-11-23 17.14.58.png
RussellSprouts
TGunitedcardists

Unread post by TGunitedcardists »

They need to pay for a print run and fix it. Simple as that.

Shows the integrity between people. Jackson's Kings Wild had a mistake, and he fixed it and communicated it. He didn't make any excuses and paid for it in delays and money. But it got fixed. 52+joker haven't yet (and probably won't). They are willingly let people overpay on a defective deck. With that kind of mistake, it's not a deck of cards, it's non-gameworthy and non-functional artwork on specialized paper. :roll:
shermjack
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Unread post by shermjack »

As per Lee Asher on PCF:

Therefore, in response to these errors, 52 Plus Joker will be doing the following:
1. Reprinting the 6 clubs as well as the tuck box.
2. Steve will include replacement card(s) and flat tuck box(es) with your March CTD, equivalent to the number of decks you have purchased.
3. Steve has complete records of all orders after the convention. All members who attended the convention (where we did not record sales by member) will receive 3 cards and boxes. If you bought more than 3 in Chicago, please advise Steve by emailing him at srbbowling@gmail.com.
4. All orders received after December 1, 2016 will be held until they can be shipped with the replacements.
A deck a day helps keep the addiction at bay!

Check out my collection on Instagram @caratcasecreations
sms69x

Unread post by sms69x »

So after trying the most to keep the money and trying selling how unique the deck would be (so unique that it wouldn't serve to play) with that misprinted card they finally will do the right thing.
That should had cost Lee Asher very much, admiting the mistake and being forced to reprint the error card, if people would realize how unique the deck is with that error card (dumb people [sarcasm]...).
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin
White Whale: OG USPCC Vanity Fair [mint]
Decks Owned: 7800

Unread post by Mike Ratledge »

Details of resolution:
Lee Asher wrote: Although many of us have kept our beautiful 2016 decks sealed, as you 
know we've come to find out that the 6 clubs has an extra pip.  
Furthermore, the tuck box indicates the deck was made in Tiwan. While 
amusing to some, these are objectionable issues to others.

As the President of the 52 Plus Joker, I must take fault for the 
situation. You have my sincerest apologies for any mistakes found on 
the deck. They come honestly, and due to this unforeseen incident, 
next year we will have more checks & balances put in place so this 
doesn't happen again.

Additionally, for the record, discussions with the Taiwan embassy 
broke down and led us to conclude that they are not willing to change 
their name. ;)

Therefore, in response to all of this, 52 Plus Joker will be enacting 
the following immediately:

1.    Reprinting the 6 clubs as well as the tuck box.

2.    Steve Bowling (52 Plus Joker Treasurer) will include replacement 
card(s) and flat tuck box(es) with your March CTD, equivalent to the 
number of decks you have purchased.

3.    Mr. Bowling has complete records of all orders after the 
convention. All members who attended the convention (where we did not 
record sales by member) will receive three cards and boxes.  If you 
bought more than three in Chicago, please advise Steve Bowling by 
emailing him at srbbowling@gmail.com.

4.    All orders received after December 1, 2016 will be held until 
they can be shipped with the replacements.

One last thought -- I don't personally profit on any of this, nor does 
anyone else in the club.

52 Plus Joker is comprised of volunteers who simply love playing cards 
like everyone else. You can rest assured knowing that proceeds from 
this deck sale (or any of the club's sales) go to the club's treasury 
which helps keep:

- cost of membership low
- convention registration fees low
- hotel prices at the convention low

I hope that clarifies everything, and makes the world right again for 
those who were upset.

Thank you once more for your understanding, and patience.

With much love & respect,
Lee Asher

President
52 Plus Joker
http://www.52plusjoker.org
sprouts1115
Deck Artist
Deck Artist
Decks Owned: 50

Unread post by sprouts1115 »

If you have not seen it.

I guess that was the tipping point that made them do it. With anything, it's very important to get as many eyes on something before you mass produce it. You can't expect a sole person who looks at the same thing day after day to make something without errors. It has even happened to me. Your brain just skips over the error and just doesn't see it.

It doesn't matter get your mother, brother, friend, even a stranger to look at your work. You might be surprised with the feedback...

If you are a future deck maker, heed this warning and learn from their costly mistake...
Attachments
Screenshot 2016-11-25 11.29.49.png
RussellSprouts
jerichoholic
White Whale: Many
Decks Owned: 4800

Unread post by jerichoholic »

What if we got our decks on playingcards.net? I guess we are SOL. :?:

Side note, I doubt this mistake would have happened if Tom was still around.
Save 10% at Playing Card Decks here - https://app.marsello.com/Portal/Custom/ ... 561772eaee
Save 10% at Card Addiction here using code VJOSE32 - https://card-addiction.com/?ref=1efow7c06m
Check out my collection - http://portfolio52.com/profile/124
Check out my reviews - https://www.youtube.com/vjose32
The Card Club - https://www.facebook.com/groups/vjose32
Instagram - http://www.instagram.com/vjose32
Game Collection - https://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/vjose32