Monarchs Updated!

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
Andrei Jikh

Monarchs Updated!

Unread post by Andrei Jikh »

theory11 just got a new batch of Monarchs in. I'm a HUGE fan of thin borders for cardistry, they look AMAZING. So far we only really have Rebels, glad to announce we're adding Monarchs to that list. Is it me or does having ultra thin borders make the deck feel more slim and all around easier to handle? I'm not sure, maybe it's a psychological thing but they seriously do feel much softer and easier to work with. The sticker seal on the tuck case is also in the tax stamp die cut which looks cool. Just thought I should share!

MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
Cardist: Yes
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Magician: Yes
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Re: Monarchs Updated!

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

This is a stupid question, but I'm currently away from my collection so I can't check:

Did they always have thin borders, or is this new?
- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki
michaelveatch

Unread post by michaelveatch »

so heres a dumb question.....if I order these today will they be the new updated ones???
Andrei Jikh

Definitely new, Monarchs had standard borders. This was a mistake on behalf of Bicycle, but a happy one nonetheless. Not sure how long they will last this way but it wasn't intentional on theory11's behalf ha. I hope they keep it this way.
Andrei Jikh

michaelveatch wrote:so heres a dumb question.....if I order these today will they be the new updated ones???
Yep yep! They should be.
michaelveatch

Unread post by michaelveatch »

sweet!! I'm going to make an order now
anep

Unread post by anep »

any picture of the new seal?
Andrei Jikh

I'll take a new one asap and post it up.
CBJ
Decks Owned: 2000

Unread post by CBJ »

I just noticed that the first post has updated pics
CBJ

Are you a Bicycle collector? Come join the Facebook group: www.BicycleCardCollectors.com
Evan

Unread post by Evan »

Awesome! I'm a huge fan of thin borders, so I'll definitely be ordering some.
MJF

Unread post by MJF »

Anybody else seeing this on the shopping cart for Theory 11? It seems to be doubling whatever the amount is in the cart... I can't get it to correct itself...
I hope this didn't happen to you guys who already placed orders and perhaps didn't see it...

john

Unread post by john »

So, does this mean that eventually all of T11 decks will have thinner borders?
Andrei Jikh

MJF, looks like a weird cart glitch on your browser, possibly from an old cart session stuck on your computer. Try removing all items from your cart, then clearing your browser cache and cookies and logging back in. Removing all items then logging out should fix it. No reports of any widespread issue I'm aware of.

John, not sure if theory11 can control that. I've been pressing Jonathan to get all our decks with thin borders but it isn't as simple as I thought. I know older decks (J. Nuggets, Gold Nuggets, etc.) had thin borders, but apparently that was due to the older machines they had used to print the cards with. Still trying to get to the bottom of it, but if it were up to me, I'd love every deck I play with have a thin border. I'll definitely keep pushing for that.
darkinertia

Unread post by darkinertia »

thin borders! i dont know why you WOULDNT want thin borders, it looks so much better overall. so if i buy monarchs today, is there a chance i dont get the thin border mess up, and get the standard border ones? is there a way to guarantee a thin bordered one?

also, i had that same problem yesterday trying to plan out my next purchase, ill try again and on another browser to see what happens
john

Unread post by john »

Andrei Jikh wrote:
John, not sure if theory11 can control that. I've been pressing Jonathan to get all our decks with thin borders but it isn't as simple as I thought. I know older decks (J. Nuggets, Gold Nuggets, etc.) had thin borders, but apparently that was due to the older machines they had used to print the cards with. Still trying to get to the bottom of it, but if it were up to me, I'd love every deck I play with have a thin border. I'll definitely keep pushing for that.
Obviously it's possible to make the older designs with thinner borders. So can you explain why it would be such a problem?
Strag
White Whale: None
Decks Owned: 0

Unread post by Strag »

john wrote:
Andrei Jikh wrote:
Obviously it's possible to make the older designs with thinner borders. So can you explain why it would be such a problem?
Pretty sure he already has.

yes, it's possible, but due to mis-registered cuts you would have to "throw away" more decks in QC and therefore cost would be higher (and greater chance for bad cuts to slip through).
MJF

Unread post by MJF »

Andrei Jikh wrote:MJF, looks like a weird cart glitch on your browser, possibly from an old cart session stuck on your computer. Try removing all items from your cart, then clearing your browser cache and cookies and logging back in. Removing all items then logging out should fix it. No reports of any widespread issue I'm aware of.
I tried all of that and nothing worked... finally just restarted the machine and all was well. Thanks! :)
Andrei Jikh

Here's what the new sticker seals look like.

john

Unread post by john »

Strag wrote:
john wrote:
Andrei Jikh wrote:

yes, it's possible, but due to mis-registered cuts you would have to "throw away" more decks in QC and therefore cost would be higher (and greater chance for bad cuts to slip through).
If Paul at Encarded can have extremely thin borders and have amazing quality control im sure T11 can.
Andrei Jikh

john wrote:
Strag wrote:
john wrote:
Andrei Jikh wrote:

If Paul at Encarded can have extremely thin borders and have amazing quality control im sure T11 can.
It really has nothing to do with theory11. Having thin borders is very difficult while mantaining quality control when printing in super high volumes. Only recently has USPC improved their process and quality control enough to be able to make them consistently which is why we had the thin borders in our latest designs such as Rebels, Monarchs, Animal Kingdom and Artisans (not quite as ultra thin as Animal Kingdom). As they improve their process, they're more confident in being able to provide that option - we will continue to request it as we have been.
doobybrain

Unread post by doobybrain »

Thin borders look nice. But not sure if they're worth buying another deck just to fix the issue. I wish they would reprint a batch of white monarchs though...
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
Cardist: Yes
Magician: Yes
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

"Animal Kingdom" :?:

EDIT: Nvm, I hadn't read through all the new threads when I posted this. Disregard.
- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki
lumpyliew

Unread post by lumpyliew »

Will get a few decks of Monarchs and Animal Kingdom:)
Don't Worry , Be Happy Cheers!
Encarded
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Encarded »

Thin borders are the way to go. USPCC is getting much better and my Aurum deck came out with seriously small ones. I'd like to see all decks with borders like this. :)
Attachments
image.jpg
Paul Carpenter
Designer - http://encarded.com

Radia | Celestial | Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall / Standards / Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out
wsop_legacy

Unread post by wsop_legacy »

These are some nice improvements. With the success of the silver monarchs and the fact the blue had the gold removed on first print, I'm a little surprised T11 had them reprinted again.
Josh

Unread post by Josh »

wsop_legacy wrote:These are some nice improvements. With the success of the silver monarchs and the fact the blue had the gold removed on first print, I'm a little surprised T11 had them reprinted again.
?? what? they were probably just running low on the supplies of the regular monarchs.
wsop_legacy

Unread post by wsop_legacy »

Josh wrote:
wsop_legacy wrote:These are some nice improvements. With the success of the silver monarchs and the fact the blue had the gold removed on first print, I'm a little surprised T11 had them reprinted again.
?? what? they were probably just running low on the supplies of the regular monarchs.
I don't think you understood what I wrote. I'm saying they should of been discontinued because of the success of the silver monarchs and the removal of the gold ink not being how the blue monarchs were originally intended. Rather then have them reprinted.
darkinertia

Unread post by darkinertia »

@andrei
so just to clarify, if i buy a monarch today, ill get the new thin borders right?