Ultraviolet Deck - Kickstarter Complete

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
CBJ
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Decks Owned: 2000

Ultraviolet Deck - Kickstarter Complete

Unread post by CBJ »

This deck is a funded/completed Kickstarter project.
Funding ended on July 5, 2012 - $18,533 raised with 604 backers

To see the old UC.net thread on this deck please go here
http://www.unitedcardists.net/uc/forum/ ... f=5&t=6747" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Image|

CBJ
CBJ

Are you a Bicycle collector? Come join the Facebook group: www.BicycleCardCollectors.com
Evan

Re: Ultraviolet Deck - Kickstarter Complete

Unread post by Evan »

I haven't seen any updates on this deck. Do any backers of this deck have any info about these?
Russell

Unread post by Russell »

The proofs have been approved and they are just waiting for the decks to be printed; according to their last update Aug 23rd.

I bet they are delivered in a week or two to the project leaders.
cosmicsecret
Cardist: Yes
Magician: Yes
Decks Owned: 140

Unread post by cosmicsecret »

Yeah they wrote that they had some complications with the color purple for the back design
The USPC doesn't print that color so much so that they had to send multiple proofs until it was like they
Wanted thed color to be.
I guess that i will get my 2 decks in the first week of december 2012.
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

cosmicsecret wrote:Yeah they wrote that they had some complications with the color purple for the back design
The USPC doesn't print that color so much so that they had to send multiple proofs until it was like they
Wanted thed color to be.
I guess that i will get my 2 decks in the first week of december 2012.
Sounds good. I'd rather wait a bit longer to be sure the deck turns out the way it should.
- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki
cosmicsecret

Here is the update from today! :)
Attachments
Update October 4th 2012
Update October 4th 2012
decksparadise

Unread post by decksparadise »

The faces of those cards looks interesting, but the back doesn't appeal that much to me. Hmm..
Simplicity is beautiful.
cosmicsecret

Update!
Attachments
ultravioletUpdate.jpg
cosmicsecret

And here are some new pictures!

BMPokerworld

Unread post by BMPokerworld »

Has anybody that ordered these got them yet?

Thanks!
cosmicsecret

BMPokerworld wrote:Has anybody that ordered these got them yet?

Thanks!
nope! seriously this is one of the Kickstarter Projects i wished i had not backed.These guys are lazy as smurf!
After several people complaining about no shipping infos and the fact that those guys got the cards since Nov 9th....they have sent out a update 20mins ago :
Kickstart Update wrote:Backers who got early shipping have been sent! You'll receive tracking numbers in your emails shortly, they are coming UPS (USPS for international orders). For everyone else we are scheduling with USPS to come pick them up and will let you know when they go out!

beta17
BMPokerworld

cosmicsecret wrote:
BMPokerworld wrote:Has anybody that ordered these got them yet?

Thanks!
nope! seriously this is one of the Kickstarter Projects i wished i had not backed.These guys are lazy as smurf!
After several people complaining about no shipping infos and the fact that those guys got the cards since Nov 9th....they have sent out a update 20mins ago :
Kickstart Update wrote:Backers who got early shipping have been sent! You'll receive tracking numbers in your emails shortly, they are coming UPS (USPS for international orders). For everyone else we are scheduling with USPS to come pick them up and will let you know when they go out!

beta17

I think they only posted the update because we received an email from them today about buying them wholesale. I went to Kickstarter and it looked like nothing had been sent out. They said all of the decks were sent out or if they weren't, they were scheduled to be picked up. From what I can tell with their latest post, only the 17 early back decks went out so far. It has been 5 weeks since they had the decks delivered to them. I guess they got their degree from the same school of business Alex and Robert did- "Rip-offs R Us"!!!

Thanks!
cosmicsecret

so they offered you the decks for wholesale?

Next update 5mins old :
Hey guys, we've gotten some pretty critical feedback today and we want to let you know that we completely understand. Our expertise is in design and production and we've never attempted to tackle something like this before. We've been unprepared and run into unexpected snags more than a few times. We want to be open and honest with you about our timeframe and setting the right expectation. Both of us work full time and then some in order to make our own ends meet and this project has had to fit in with that; we were unrealistic to expect that we could do it all so fast. We're excited that we've been able to ship some of the orders and hope those that get them right away are as excited as we are. To all of our other backers our timeframe realistically looks like we'll be shipping periodically through January. We're trying to do the right thing here and in understanding of any frustration or trouble we may have caused we'll be adding an extra deck to all orders that ship after December. We ask that you understand the troubles we've had and mistakes we've made, knowing that we are trying to do everything in your best interest in our situation.

Patrick & Ethan

beta17
BMPokerworld

cosmicsecret wrote:so they offered you the decks for wholesale?

Next update 5mins old :
Hey guys, we've gotten some pretty critical feedback today and we want to let you know that we completely understand. Our expertise is in design and production and we've never attempted to tackle something like this before. We've been unprepared and run into unexpected snags more than a few times. We want to be open and honest with you about our timeframe and setting the right expectation. Both of us work full time and then some in order to make our own ends meet and this project has had to fit in with that; we were unrealistic to expect that we could do it all so fast. We're excited that we've been able to ship some of the orders and hope those that get them right away are as excited as we are. To all of our other backers our timeframe realistically looks like we'll be shipping periodically through January. We're trying to do the right thing here and in understanding of any frustration or trouble we may have caused we'll be adding an extra deck to all orders that ship after December. We ask that you understand the troubles we've had and mistakes we've made, knowing that we are trying to do everything in your best interest in our situation.

Patrick & Ethan

beta17
Yes and why do you think? Because they probably don't have any money left. After I made my initial post here, they immediately posted they were sending out the quick shipment decks, then when I posted again, they posted their next update so only backers could see. Everything they wrote above is BS. If they didn't have the time to ship out the decks, they shouldn't have did the project.

" Both of us work full time and then some in order to make our own ends meet and this project has had to fit in with that"

Same BS as Alex, ReaganM and anyone else who doesn't send their decks out in a timely fashion; Shut up, roll up your sleeves and get to work!!!!

Wow, I was right, they must definitely know Alex and rob!!!!

Thanks!!
alric

Unread post by alric »

I think the likely explanation is that these guys mismanaged their money and don't have enough alotted for shipping. Looks like these guys are another one-and-done KickStarter fail.....

Examples like this make you appreciate all the more the guys that do it right.
badpete69
Decks Owned: 1500

Unread post by badpete69 »

Mike

I think Patrick and Ethan are pseudonyms for Alex and Rob :D :D
BMPokerworld

badpete69 wrote:Mike

I think Patrick and Ethan are pseudonyms for Alex and Rob :D :D

Lol, I think your right!!!

Below is what they sent me when I asked if the Kickstarter orders were shipped out because it didn't look like they were:

We have, given the number of orders we weren't quite prepared for shipping them all right away and it took longer than planned. All of our orders are either shipped or scheduled to ship with the USPS. We didn't want to contact resellers until we had shipped the initial orders.

Clearly no where near the truth.

Thanks!
4pmdesigner
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by 4pmdesigner »

BMPokerworld wrote:
cosmicsecret wrote:
" Both of us work full time and then some in order to make our own ends meet and this project has had to fit in with that"
:roll:
Creator of The Grid, Grid 2.0 & Mythos: Necronomicon Bicycle® Playing Cards
CBJ
Decks Owned: 2000

Unread post by CBJ »

Well I'm glad I didn't back this one.

They've had the decks for almost 6 weeks. They had 600 backers... so 100 orders per week.
It's 15 orders a day, between 2 of them!

I also think that they've spent the shipping money, and are trying to sell a wholesale order to fund the shipping.
CBJ

Are you a Bicycle collector? Come join the Facebook group: www.BicycleCardCollectors.com
Strag
White Whale: None
Decks Owned: 0

Unread post by Strag »

Pretty easy to do the math.

Earlier they said the printed 5000 decks. Not sure what that costs, but they took in $18,532, minus KS and Amazon fees. So that means around$16,800. 600 backers, quite a few of them international, means quite a bit in shipping. Clearly they don't have enough funds.

If they had ordered 2500 they could have fulfilled their orders and had cash left over.
walrus

Unread post by walrus »

Too bad, I liked this deck. I try to be picky about what I back on Kickstarter and this one caught my eye. People who do this turn me off on the entire Kickstarter theme. I do not think starting a project and in the end saying "I did not know what I was getting into" is a good excuse. The info is out there, do your research prior to taking peoples money, unless you are a scam.
Taiven

Unread post by Taiven »

Well that is not good to hear. I guess this deck gets added to the same list as "The Grid". Never received that deck either - excuses, excuses and updates few and far between.
4pmdesigner
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by 4pmdesigner »

Taiven wrote:Well that is not good to hear. I guess this deck gets added to the same list as "The Grid". Never received that deck either - excuses, excuses and updates few and far between.
Um how do you make this comparison to our deck The Grid? Our decks began shipping out within 3 weeks of our campaigns end. Now if you're a backer with an Eco clip, that's a different story which has never offered any excuses. Even the very popular Tendril deck just recently received their clips which delayed some of their decks as well. So you may want to correct yourself.

PS. If you havent received your pledge due to the Eco clips, Send over your transaction ID from amazon and ill be MORE than happy to refund your pledge.
Creator of The Grid, Grid 2.0 & Mythos: Necronomicon Bicycle® Playing Cards
Kratzu

Unread post by Kratzu »

Long time lurker first time poster. I have to say I disagree with Taiven as well. I backed both the UV Deck and The Grid , in which I backed for a black Eco clip. I don't mind waiting all this time for the Grid because their customer service is superb and it isn't their fault that the deck isn't delivered to me yet. That was another company's fault unlike the UV Deck.
cosmicsecret

well i had recieved my TheGrid decks perfectly and thats why i backed the next 4PM deck with no doubt that i will get the deck aswell. ;)

A "statement " from Beta17 :
We would like to weigh in quickly on the BMpokerworld discussion taking place over at unitedcardists. We absolutely contacted BM about reselling. They asked whether or not we had shipped our cards and we let them know that we'd shipped initial early orders (more than 50 of them) and that the other orders are on file at the USPS (which they are). Given that we'd started shipping orders we thought we'd give them the first shot at reselling after having bought from them before and been happy with their service. We're not sure what the gentleman at BM has against us but want to let you know that allegations of greed or overextension are misplaced and our issues are timing and organization. Thanks again for everyone's support!

beta17
BMPokerworld

cosmicsecret wrote:well i had recieved my TheGrid decks perfectly and thats why i backed the next 4PM deck with no doubt that i will get the deck aswell. ;)

A "statement " from Beta17 :
We would like to weigh in quickly on the BMpokerworld discussion taking place over at unitedcardists. We absolutely contacted BM about reselling. They asked whether or not we had shipped our cards and we let them know that we'd shipped initial early orders (more than 50 of them) and that the other orders are on file at the USPS (which they are). Given that we'd started shipping orders we thought we'd give them the first shot at reselling after having bought from them before and been happy with their service. We're not sure what the gentleman at BM has against us but want to let you know that allegations of greed or overextension are misplaced and our issues are timing and organization. Thanks again for everyone's support!

beta17

As I posted earlier in this thread, they told me all the decks were either shipped or scheduled to be shipped. Clearly that is an out and out lie. They did not even post an update that orders were shipped until after I questioned whether they shipped them or not. They then posted that 50, 50 orders have been shipped in 5 weeks!!!! That is 10 orders per week and an order an a half per day!!!! Do you think that is acceptable? I don't and I don't like being lied to.

You need to ask them these questions:

1) What have they been doing for the last 5 1/2 weeks?

2) Why didn't they get all the shipping logistics worked out in the 4 months it took the decks to be created from the time the deck was funded until they received them?

3) Why did they have all this time to create and promote the deck when they were asking for funding, but now they don 't have any time to ship the decks?

I will tell you why, because they probably spent all the money and do not have any left to pay for shipping. Shipping is not rocket science. You just need to sit down and do it. As I said before, myself and one other person shipped over 300 orders in 1 day. I worked 9 hours and the other person worked 5. Get off your ass and ship out what everyone has paid for months ago. We ship 100% of our orders in 1 day and we pull and pack 7 days a week, so I don't want to hear about work and all the other BS. If you didn't have the time, then why take everyone's money? Why tell me that you didn't want to contact wholesalers until:

We didn't want to contact resellers until we had shipped the initial orders.

That is what they told me, so it is clearly a lie. One more thing, did everyone notice how they then changed their updates to private so anyone who did not back the project was unable to see the complaints. Hmmm, I guess I was wrong, they are stand up guys. HA!

Thanks!
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

Mike, I really appreciate you posting all of this here so that we can see what's actually going on.

Even if I was someone who didn't frequent this forum and had no initial reason to believe what Mike is saying, the fact that they only post private updates and can't be bothered to come here and defend themselves tells me that he's more than likely to be right about this.
- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki
BMPokerworld

MagikFingerz wrote:Mike, I really appreciate you posting all of this here so that we can see what's actually going on.

Even if I was someone who didn't frequent this forum and had no initial reason to believe what Mike is saying, the fact that they only post private updates and can't be bothered to come here and defend themselves tells me that he's more than likely to be right about this.

Thank You Tom. I get absolutely no pleasure in exposing people like that. I do it because I can not stand liars, especially people who lie right to my face. You know,there have been others who have mishandled the money from their Kickstarter project or had shipping problems that I knew about, but I worked with them to get the decks to the project supporters as quickly as possible. I only make things public when you have people like this, so everyone can see their true colors and hopefully, will not do business with them again.

I think they do a great disservice to people like 4pm designs, CCC, Uusi, Juan Perez and others, who have full time jobs or businesses, but still manage to get their decks out in a reasonable amount of time. Here is a perfect example, take Paul Carpenter and his 2 decks. While Paul and I may disagree over what is a fair price for is Aurum deck, Paul has a full time job and 2 small children, if I remember correctly. Yet he got his decks out very quickly. Do you know how hard that is to do when you have a very young family? I do as I have been in my own business for over 25 years and have pulled many all nighters. Did he come up with excuses? No, he simply rolled up his sleeves and got it done just like the other people I mentioned above. To me I would much rather do business with any of these people then do business with people like; Alex, Rob, beta17, ReaganM and anyone else who stops caring once they get all their money.

Thanks!
Encarded
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Encarded »

Shame to hear this one ended up this way. As Mike said, shipping isn't rocket science but it definitely costs money (often a lot of it). Without that planning in place well before the project starts, you can get into messes like this. As some others have pointed out, with what they brought in and what they printed, the shipping costs probably overwhelmed their system.

It's tough to send out 5,000 decks around the world. Doing it with just 1-2 people is even tougher but it can certainly be done. Many folks have proven that time and again. If they haven't been able to send things out in 6 weeks time, it's probably more financial than time related I'd guess.

Kickstarter is definitely a double edged sword. It is pretty easy to get started and setup your project, but to account for every facet from start to finish takes some extensive planning and some business savvy. Unfortunately there is no requirement for the latter elements when setting up your campaign....
Paul Carpenter
Designer - http://encarded.com

Radia | Celestial | Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall / Standards / Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out
decksparadise

Unread post by decksparadise »

The tuck box looks cool!
Simplicity is beautiful.