Nouveau BIJOUX Playing Cards - funded on Kickstarter

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
BfPC
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Nouveau BIJOUX Playing Cards - funded on Kickstarter

Unread post by BfPC »

Here's a project I've been working on while still sketching my RIO Playing Cards. A special version will be launching on Kickstarter this Saturday to mark the anniversary of the NOUVEAU Playing Cards release. Nouveau Bijoux stays true to my original idea, keeping the same characters and story behind the deck yet adding a new touch to the artwork. This time it's inspired in the Art Nouveau jewelry, and that's something you'll be able to tell with every card :) BIJOUX comes with a redesigned back, tuck, aces and pips, as well as significant changes on the court cards. As always, I really appreciate your opinion and comments so feel free to do so :)

*updated pics*
2.jpg
1.jpg
3.jpg
Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do - Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe
Justin O.
Collector: Yes
White Whale: Jaqk Cellars V1
Decks Owned: 400

Re: Nouveau BIJOUX Playing Cards

Unread post by Justin O. »

Very nice! Such a rich palette and so much detail without being overly noisy on the faces of the cards/ Though I worry that the lack of a dark outline on the card back elements make it look busy and difficult to read.

Overall a really well realized and gorgeous deck. Would love to see the courts
Jackson completely revolutionized the way I waste money...
BfPC
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by BfPC »

Thanks Justin! :) I'll be showing some courts this Wednesday, let me know what you think when i do ;) And someone else mentioned that detail as well so I'll figure something out to improve it because I do agree with you :) :)
Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do - Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe
montecarlojoe
Player: Yes
White Whale: Avant Guard UL Gr - No17 Crown
Decks Owned: 690

Unread post by montecarlojoe »

Love it!
Räpylätassu
White Whale: Black Palekh from 1937
Decks Owned: 700

Unread post by Räpylätassu »

Love everything! The back is splendid!
Left my heart in SIERRA MADRE

"Finding it... that's not the hard part. It's letting go."

"One makes a trip by day, but by night one sets out on a journey." -Moominmamma

I dream of a world where wars are fought only by having dance offs. I also dream that a Finnish playing card designer would exist. The former seems more likely to happend.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a penguin. Have you ever met a sad person with a penguin?

Are lobsters mermaids to scorpions?

"I did not hit her, it's not true, it's bullsh*t, I did not hit her, I did naaaht! Oh hai Mark!"

MY TRADELIST

MY TOP 150 DECKS

MY PORTFOLIO52 PAGE
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin
White Whale: OG USPCC Vanity Fair [mint]
Decks Owned: 7800

Unread post by Mike Ratledge »

Very nice, Karin! Quite well done!
>Mike<
"You can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself"
They say "Ignorance is bliss". Obviously, some people are much happier than others...

Members are encouraged to
Show Us Your Cards!

Our UC2021 Decks entitled
"Odd Fellows"
by Lorenzo Gaggiotti / @Stockholm17
Coming soon: AKA
«Eighth Annual Decks»

UC members help maintain Portfolio52
THE Playing Card Database Online
Contact ecNate for details and access

UC2019 "Seventh Annual Decks"
by Montenzi Design
Funded 207% on KS: HERE

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

Insert disclaimer here...
All information posted as fact is accurate at the time of posting to the best of my knowledge.
Fes
White Whale: The Dude Deck

Unread post by Fes »

Indices are difficult for me from what little of them I can see here. I love the card back, I'll be in. :D
TL:DR It's completely up to you.
We can still be friends.
I actually like playing cards.
We live in interesting times.
RichK
Decks Owned: 250

Unread post by RichK »

I agree with Justin, incredible colors but back needs some darkening. Can you do something like the back of the tuck for the card back? Tuck itself is a keeper!

Fes makes good point on the small corner pips. I think the green needs a tiny bit of tweaking for better Club/Spade recognition.

Looking forward to Wed.'s courts.
Move on, nothing to see here.
BfPC
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by BfPC »

RichK wrote:I agree with Justin, incredible colors but back needs some darkening. Can you do something like the back of the tuck for the card back? Tuck itself is a keeper!

Fes makes good point on the small corner pips. I think the green needs a tiny bit of tweaking for better Club/Spade recognition.

Looking forward to Wed.'s courts.
Fes wrote:Indices are difficult for me from what little of them I can see here. I love the card back, I'll be in. :D
Thank you all guys! really glad that you like it so far! :) :) I'm gonna make some changes regarding what you say, for now let me upload one more pic so you can take a look at the numbers as well; since everything is related I'm gonna make all the changes together :)
Attachments
preview2.jpg
Fes
White Whale: The Dude Deck

Unread post by Fes »

Here are some of my thoughts. The tail coming off the top of the 5 makes it look a little like an 8. Confusion with rank indicators is generally not something I like because it limits how I can use the deck. I think the tail on the five that makes the number begin to morph into another number is something that can be overcome without compromising the ascetic of stylized rank indicators.

On both the spade and the club pips, I notice the same element added on the bottom. It's like a fan. Flipping that little fan upside down under one or the other of the pips would help add an easier identification between the two on the indices.

I still have no problem backing this campaign. This looks like it is going to be a beautiful deck. Thank you for showing another image so we could see the indices a bit better. :)
TL:DR It's completely up to you.
We can still be friends.
I actually like playing cards.
We live in interesting times.
TGunitedcardists

Unread post by TGunitedcardists »

Fes wrote:Here are some of my thoughts. The tail coming off the top of the 5 makes it look a little like an 8. Confusion with rank indicators is generally not something I like because it limits how I can use the deck. I think the tail on the five that makes the number begin to morph into another number is something that can be overcome without compromising the ascetic of stylized rank indicators.

On both the spade and the club pips, I notice the same element added on the bottom. It's like a fan. Flipping that little fan upside down under one or the other of the pips would help add an easier identification between the two on the indices.

I still have no problem backing this campaign. This looks like it is going to be a beautiful deck. Thank you for showing another image so we could see the indices a bit better. :)
I have similar thoughts. The readability/playability is the problem that will keep me from backing this campaign. If I pulled this deck out at a poker game, it just wouldn't and couldn't be used. This is on the art deck side of the spectrum.

I can appreciate how long it takes to create art, so I wish this project all the success, just without me.
BfPC
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by BfPC »

TGunitedcardists wrote:
Fes wrote:Here are some of my thoughts. The tail coming off the top of the 5 makes it look a little like an 8. Confusion with rank indicators is generally not something I like because it limits how I can use the deck. I think the tail on the five that makes the number begin to morph into another number is something that can be overcome without compromising the ascetic of stylized rank indicators.

I have similar thoughts. The readability/playability is the problem that will keep me from backing this campaign. If I pulled this deck out at a poker game, it just wouldn't and couldn't be used. This is on the art deck side of the spectrum.

I can appreciate how long it takes to create art, so I wish this project all the success, just without me.
Thanks guys, no problem with that :) You know i never show issues fixing details, much less if opinions are so well explained ;)
BfPC
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by BfPC »

Even if i live in spain, i'm living the US schedule :roll: Ok guys here are a couple of court cards and a close up of the second joker. For now I kept the same font I used for the Nouveau deck; the other changes will be made before I launch the campaign
qkjoker.jpg
That being said, a few details regarding the campaign. It's going to be a 15-day campaign and it will develope in a similar way to the previous one. There will be a main deck, the one I've been posting pics of, and a second version that will be unlocked if we reach the stretch goal. I'll reveal pics of this one when the campaign will be live. There will also be a stretch goal to add foiling (no embossing, thanks) to both decks, which I believe will look gorgeous on a deck inspired in jewelry. Other than that, expect something special mid-campaign ;) We'll be launching this Saturday 5 pm EDT (23:00 central Europe time, 2pm Pacific time)
shermjack
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Unread post by shermjack »

I am very much looking forward to the launch of this campaign, but have a few questions/comments:

You note the launch time to be 5PM EDT, which I assume is Eastern Daylight Time...you then mention 9am Pacific time...if Pacific time is meant to be the US Pacific Time, then the time should be 2PM, correct?

Overall, love the courts, but there is something about the hands that are a little off :? ...QoS hand is a little high and too far back (actually where I would imagine her shoulder being) and the KoD looks a little out of proportion (it seems that the forearm/hand are in the foreground while the body/head as a little distance in the background)

LOVE the tuck...it is quite exquisite! :drool:
A deck a day helps keep the addiction at bay!

Check out my collection on Instagram @caratcasecreations
BfPC
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by BfPC »

shermjack wrote:I am very much looking forward to the launch of this campaign, but have a few questions/comments:

You note the launch time to be 5PM EDT, which I assume is Eastern Daylight Time...you then mention 9am Pacific time...if Pacific time is meant to be the US Pacific Time, then the time should be 2PM, correct?

Overall, love the courts, but there is something about the hands that are a little off :? ...QoS hand is a little high and too far back (actually where I would imagine her shoulder being) and the KoD looks a little out of proportion (it seems that the forearm/hand are in the foreground while the body/head as a little distance in the background)

LOVE the tuck...it is quite exquisite! :drool:
Lmao GOD i srs need to sleep more, i reviewed the hours after what you said and was like wth did i write over there :ugdance: :ugdance: it's 5pm EDT, 11pm cest, 2pm pacific time.

Regarding the hands, I think that fixing shadows will fix the disproportionate feeling as well
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin

That 11PM is Central Europe, not our CST. (which is at 4PM - CDT until November).
>Mike<
They say "Ignorance is bliss". Obviously, some people are much happier than others...

Show Us Your Cards!

"Odd Fellows"
«Eighth Annual Decks»

by Montenzi Design

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

All information posted as fact is accurate at the time of posting to the best of my knowledge.
BfPC
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by BfPC »

Mike Ratledge wrote:That 11PM is Central Europe, not our CST.
yep it's central european summer time
RichK

Unread post by RichK »

Again, I agree with Fes about the 5 looking close to an 8 and my Club/Spade similarity. Pip layout on # cards nice balance.

Shermjack summed up my feelings for both QoS and big armed/handed KoD.

And tuck is perfect for me.
Bikefanatic
Decks Owned: 333

Unread post by Bikefanatic »

The faces of the courts reminds me of the Brazilian reals/reais. As long as the green of the tuck doesn't look like the original, it's good.
"When I like something, I buy. No matter who did it, how many were printed or how many (re)colors exist.

When I don't like something, I pass. No matter who did it, how many were printed or how many (re)colors exist."

-Lotrek

*MY PORTFOLIO52 PROFILE https://portfolio52.com/profile/26674

* MY SELLER REVIEW viewtopic.php?f=28&t=16586
BfPC
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by BfPC »

Bikefanatic wrote:The faces of the courts reminds me of the Brazilian reals/reais. As long as the green of the tuck doesn't look like the original, it's good.
It doesn't, at all :) The original one was kinda washed out, like most colors used with this art style

anyway, thank you all guys! Really glad that you like it so far and I'll do something about these details you mention :) I fixed the indices already, i'll post a close up tomorrow, meanwhile here's the changed render. I also changed a couple of details on the back
1.jpg
JuFiN
White Whale: Delirium Signature
Decks Owned: 1000

Unread post by JuFiN »

This is live.

Cardician_82

Unread post by Cardician_82 »

I thought this deck would have a bit more bell & whistles considering it's coming from EPCC and being €13/deck

100% Custom playing cards deck
Limited Edition (one printing, never to be reprinted)
Poker size
54 cards
Printed by EPCC
Master Finish quality
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin

OK, the US shipping didn't work correctly for the first 20-30 minutes, and was charging people in US. If you pledged during that time, please modify your pledge to the one directly below it with the same amount and the shipping should come OFF (Only affected two Early Bird tiers - 50€ & 37€)
>Mike<

Show Us Your Cards!

"Odd Fellows"
«Eighth Annual Decks»

by Montenzi Design

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

BfPC
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by BfPC »

We're live :)

Here's a pic of the updated indices and a sneak peek of Nouveau PERLE
display-11.jpg
perle1.jpg
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Nouveau BIJOUX Playing Cards backer referral deck promo

In addition to the 20 decks for all backers (see OP, which was modified today), another ten are available to UC members only.

This is for Kickstarter backers of this project, and will only be posted here and on Facebook due to the rules not allowing direct give aways on KS.

Please add "UC member" to your refererral message.
>Mike<

Show Us Your Cards!

"Odd Fellows"
«Eighth Annual Decks»

by Montenzi Design

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin

Keep your eyes open for some added goodies today & tomorrow.
>Mike<

Show Us Your Cards!

"Odd Fellows"
«Eighth Annual Decks»

by Montenzi Design

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

BfPC
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by BfPC »

Here's a preview of the first special add on, available tomorrow morning EDT (around 3-4 pm CEST)
d'or.jpg
BIJOUX d'Or comes with the same cards but a handmade tuck and a numbered seal. The tuck is made of metallic card stock (i have a thing for metallic card stock :ugdance: ) in two layers: A gold laser cut cover and an embossed white pearl inner layer. Please note that I do my best with renders but they're still just that, renders, and i'm no professional. And with that I mean that my beloved metallic card stock looks nothing like it, nor does the gold foil, but it IS there :ugeek: Also if you take a close look at the side of the tuck, the embossing is pretty noticeable.

This add on will be available for €30 + shipping, i'll post more details tomorrow in a new update
RichK

Unread post by RichK »

BIJOUX d'Or is now available, 30E +10E shipping, limited to 60, with a signed BIJOUX card of your choice. Numbered seal will be restickable so you can see your signed card. BIJOUX deck will replaced with PERLE deck once it's unlocked at lower stretch goal of 12000E.
BfPC
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by BfPC »

RichK wrote:BIJOUX d'Or is now available, 30E +10E shipping, limited to 60, with a signed BIJOUX card of your choice. Numbered seal will be restickable so you can see your signed card. BIJOUX deck will replaced with PERLE deck once it's unlocked at lower stretch goal of 12000E.
Yesss, and we're already funded and not far from unlocking PERLE (we still have half campaign ahead and another exclusive add on coming next week), so I'm certain you'll see a Perle version of this add on soon enough :) :)
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin

Guys & gals, be sure to watch for a very limited edition likely to be available later today.
>Mike<

Show Us Your Cards!

"Odd Fellows"
«Eighth Annual Decks»

by Montenzi Design

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<