Limited Edition Jaspas Deck by NDO (New Deck Order)

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
alric
Cardist: Yes
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes

Re: Limited Edition Jaspas Deck by NDO (New Deck Order)

Unread post by alric »

I used the original Jaspas deck, and I have to say I was a bit disappointed with it. It really felt like an EPCC deck, to be honest. That means you have to really break it in to even out the fans. I thought it took fanning powder pretty well, much better than a typical EPCC/LPCC deck, and after working it in for a long time, the fans were pretty decent and held together very well. I seriously doubt the addition of foil is going to improve the handling of the deck.

The video is pretty sick. Not many people can spring decks like Jaspas. To me, it seems his emphasis is more packet cuts, springs, and aerials and not so much fanning, so I guess these decks suit his purpose.
rousselle
Site Admin
Site Admin
Magician: Yes

Unread post by rousselle »

shaitani wrote:What's the rule on v2s and such, no thread on their own?
If not, the logical thing is to merge Federal 52 v3 back into the other Fed52 threads.
I don't think there's a hard and fast rule, but generally speaking, it seems like we tend to group simple recolors in with the original thread, while changes to back and/or court designs more typically warrant their own threads. I'm certain there are exceptions in both cases, but that seems to be the rule of thumb on the invisible hand that guides our discussions. No?
This space intentionally left blank.
Azid

Unread post by Azid »

ok.. maybe it deserved it's own thread as the original deck was released about a year ago, but i felt it would also fit in this thread. Actually these are just recolored/improved versions and whoever is interested in NDO or Jaspas decks will read this, so what's the problem ?

Back to topic, personally i'm a big fan of Jaspas & NDO and i love their decks. They always try new stocks and finishes (and keep their printers secret... ), and some of them aren't the best handling decks but never bad. Yes, maybe they aren't that great for fanning but i think thats not the point, as Jaspas doesn't show much fans in his videos (mainly packet cuts, aerials, springs, isolations and other crazy stuff) but every cardist has his own style/preferences .
Their trailers for a new deck are always awesome, and the SOC V3 Trailer was one of the best cardistry video's i've ever seen.
sinjin7
Decks Owned: 1500

Unread post by sinjin7 »

shaitani wrote:I don't think I've ever seen a proper gold foil cardistry deck before. Is the price worth it? $38 is a lot but hard to find cardistry decks can go for a lot, and the XXX/??? numbering doesn't make that easy to determine.
By definition, a cardistry deck should be one that's meant to be used. Foiling on the cards could have a negative effect on handling, but recently with MetalLuxe and what EPCC/LPCC is doing, the negative impact is greatly reduced. I have no idea what the foiling is going to do to these decks since the printer and finish and tech is supposed to be a secret (albeit a poorly kept secret since I strongly suspect Jaspas uses the same Taiwanese factory as EPCC). Even assuming the handling will be adequate with the foiling, not too many cardists are going to reach for a $40.00 cardistry deck as a user deck. For me, its a little ironic that some cardistry decks are becoming "collectible" - in other words, to be kept sealed and unopened on some shelf or in a drawer instead of being used. I guess that's what happens when you see cardistry decks like the v.1 Virtuoso being sold for $200.00+ on places like eBay. . .
shaitani
White Whale: Artistic Spring

Unread post by shaitani »

Azid wrote:ok.. maybe it deserved it's own thread as the original deck was released about a year ago, but i felt it would also fit in this thread. Actually these are just recolored/improved versions and whoever is interested in NDO or Jaspas decks will read this, so what's the problem ?
Not really a problem, it just felt odd to me that this year old thread was still being used for the new release when we tend to make new threads for everything. By the argument of the last line, for example probably a lot of the Bocopo Cardistry series should be under one thread etc. I get the color change argument though. Anyway just a weirdness I observed and was trying to figure out.
shaitani
White Whale: Artistic Spring

Unread post by shaitani »

sinjin7 wrote:
shaitani wrote:I don't think I've ever seen a proper gold foil cardistry deck before. Is the price worth it? $38 is a lot but hard to find cardistry decks can go for a lot, and the XXX/??? numbering doesn't make that easy to determine.
By definition, a cardistry deck should be one that's meant to be used. Foiling on the cards could have a negative effect on handling, but recently with MetalLuxe and what EPCC/LPCC is doing, the negative impact is greatly reduced. I have no idea what the foiling is going to do to these decks since the printer and finish and tech is supposed to be a secret (albeit a poorly kept secret since I strongly suspect Jaspas uses the same Taiwanese factory as EPCC). Even assuming the handling will be adequate with the foiling, not too many cardists are going to reach for a $40.00 cardistry deck as a user deck. For me, its a little ironic that some cardistry decks are becoming "collectible" - in other words, to be kept sealed and unopened on some shelf or in a drawer instead of being used. I guess that's what happens when you see cardistry decks like the v.1 Virtuoso being sold for $200.00+ on places like eBay. . .
Definitely weird. I think it's what happens in the Venn diagram of collectors and cardists, you get certain "hip" decks that are suddenly worth a lot for some reason. I bet this is how the art scene works where it's not the best art that's always worth the most, it's based on popularity and demand.