cards made specifically for flourishing?

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
darkinertia

cards made specifically for flourishing?

Unread post by darkinertia »

with the release of the virts deck coming soon, this made me think, is there a deck out there thats specifically made for flourishers? you see intricate decks that look nice when theyre in your hands but it doesnt accent your flourishes in any way, you would think there would be more custom decks like that...granted from what ive noticed being in this hobby for the little time i have been, most cardists are magicians down to the youtube reviewers all being magicians mainly.

is there decks out there that have simple colors that contrast while spinning, pips that are really close for effortless full fans, thin back design borders for more colorful fans, finishes/stock that is geared towards optimal flourishing,etc..?
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
Cardist: Yes
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Magician: Yes
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Re: cards made specifically for flourishing?

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

Unfortunately, I don't think an ideal flourishing deck has been made yet. There are decks that have one or two of the characteristics you listed, but none that has all.

I still have my hopes though... (*elbows Paul hard*) :D
- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki
Encarded
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Encarded »

Well, lets use this thread to discuss exactly what, in the mind of a flourisher, are the best features of a dedicated deck. I have honestly had vague notions for a year on what might make up a cardistry deck if all traditions were thrown to the winds. Needless to say, the Virt deck doesn't quite go far enough in my opinion.
Paul Carpenter
Designer - http://encarded.com

Radia | Celestial | Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall / Standards / Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out
darkinertia

really? i thought it was spot on.

the big thing in the beginning of pen spinning was everyone spun with normal everyday looking pens. the more it looked like a normal pen the better. but then someone decided to take a double capped marker like pen with a black body and white caps with black grips on the end and it was ingenious. it accented the spinning with this trance-inducing motion blur-like look, and it was pefectly weighted for spinning, unlike normal pens. id like to see more decks made like that.

what would be someone else they could of done? i would of liked to see ultra thin borders similar to the absolut deck and squeezer style pips with a font like the artifice, but im just nitpicking at that point lol
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
Magician: Yes
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

darkinertia wrote:the big thing in the beginning of pen spinning was everyone spun with normal everyday looking pens. the more it looked like a normal pen the better. but then someone decided to take a double capped marker like pen with a black body and white caps with black grips on the end and it was ingenious. it accented the spinning with this trance-inducing motion blur-like look, and it was perfectly weighted for spinning, unlike normal pens. id like to see more decks made like that.
That's a good analogy, and I feel like the Virts deck was made to look normal. Which in my view lessens its potential.
darkinertia wrote: what would be someone else they could of done? i would of liked to see ultra thin borders similar to the absolut deck and squeezer style pips with a font like the artifice, but im just nitpicking at that point lol
I completely agree, and I don't feel like it's nitpicking after the way they hyped it. For a deck to be 100% devoted to flourishing, for me, it would need to have AT LEAST either thin borders or no borders, a more visually striking color scheme and indices optimized for fans.
- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki
Encarded
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Encarded »

I like thin borders btw... :)
Attachments
380754_495889830434048_1200067296_n.jpg
380754_495889830434048_1200067296_n.jpg (119.11 KiB) Viewed 723 times
Paul Carpenter
Designer - http://encarded.com

Radia | Celestial | Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall / Standards / Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out
darkinertia

wow i never realized that! what have i been doing with my life not buying the aurum *goes to encarded.com* :D

ive always wondered, why dont more decks come with ultra thin borders? you get the best fans possible even with half assed thumb fans, and its still good for magicians. why make big borders? that being said, the same goes for squeezer pips actually lol maybe im missing something, which i probably am since im a noob still, but those seem to be something everyone should want
alric

Unread post by alric »

Thinner borders gives you a smaller margin of error in the printing/cutting process. If you're off a bit, but have wider borders, that can "mask" the error. If you have thin borders and you're off a bit with the printing/cutting, its really going to show and look bad.
darkinertia

but would that matter that much at Q1 standards or does that have no effect?