Apothecary by Seasons Playing Cards

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
IAmTheChin
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Magician: Yes
Decks Owned: 300

Re: Apothecary by Seasons Playing Cards

Unread post by IAmTheChin »

Hi Guys,

Sorry there will be an update later today once I wrap up proper photos for the campaign. The "Early Bird" you're seeing was a mistake when Kickstarter glitched out submitting the tiers. It wasn't intentional. Lost some money on those. These White Label decks are supposed to be on for the full campaign with only the boxes being time sensitive so I wasn't too rushed for the update. I completely recreated the video last night so mistakes are expected to happen (to your benefit lol)

But I hope you guys are seriously excited for this. Hand gilded decks WELL under $100. World's first color changing boxes. All for a ridiculously cheap price. Enjoy :)
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uk_OfZz ... e=youtu.be[/youtube]

This truly is "Inspiration You Can Touch" and it just warms my little heart :)
Manage Your Collections with
http://www.Portfolio52.com

Every collection starts somewhere. Start your saga. Start with Seasons.
http://www.SeasonsPlayingCards.com
badpete69
Decks Owned: 1500

Unread post by badpete69 »

Beautiful work Alex..
4.of.Clubs

Unread post by 4.of.Clubs »

Amazing... Next step - color changing cards!
----------> Check out the decks I have for sale! <----------
----------> Also check out my Trade List and Wish List, maybe we can make a deal! <----------
vasta41
Card Oracle
Card Oracle

Unread post by vasta41 »

So here's my issue: I think $44 for the color changing decks is a great price considering all it entails. HOWEVER if I pledge for these (which I think I might have to despite my mortgage) and see them on ToM someday cheaper than $44 I'll be livid. Hoping that doesn't happen.
sms69x
Decks Owned: 700

Unread post by sms69x »

vasta41 wrote:So here's my issue: I think $44 for the color changing decks is a great price considering all it entails. HOWEVER if I pledge for these (which I think I might have to despite my mortgage) and see them on ToM someday cheaper than $44 I'll be livid. Hoping that doesn't happen.
I doubt that will happen, unless ToM pledge for a bunch of those in the KS campaign. Alex mentioned that these decks are KS exclusive, so I suppose he will only produce enough decks to cover the demand.
vasta41
Card Oracle
Card Oracle

Unread post by vasta41 »

sms69x wrote:
vasta41 wrote:So here's my issue: I think $44 for the color changing decks is a great price considering all it entails. HOWEVER if I pledge for these (which I think I might have to despite my mortgage) and see them on ToM someday cheaper than $44 I'll be livid. Hoping that doesn't happen.
I doubt that will happen, unless ToM pledge for a bunch of those in the KS campaign. Alex mentioned that these decks are KS exclusive, so I suppose he will only produce enough decks to cover the demand.
I think you might be right about the number of decks. I thought that it was a "read the fine print" kind of thing but everything I read seems to insinuate that the decks produced for the campaign are ONLY for backers of the campaign. I hope that's true anyway. But in regards to ToM that's not usually how ToM works- creators (such as T11, GW, and Alex in the past to name a few) sell ToM surplus inventory at a price in the after market once they're already produced. I have no problem with this EXCEPT if a deck like the White Labels ends up there after it was said to be "exclusive." But again, I think you're right and I don't think that will happen.
4.of.Clubs

sms69x wrote:I doubt that will happen, unless ToM pledge for a bunch of those in the KS campaign. Alex mentioned that these decks are KS exclusive, so I suppose he will only produce enough decks to cover the demand.
I agree, Alex is a man of his words, I'm all the way in! He might keep a few for giveaways and stuff but that's to be expected.

These has got to be the most exciting decks for me this year!
----------> Also check out my Trade List and Wish List, maybe we can make a deal! <----------
pstaehlin
Decks Owned: 0

Unread post by pstaehlin »

ToM??? What is this?
4.of.Clubs

pstaehlin wrote:ToM??? What is this?
Touch of Modern. It's a website that sells different products for a certain discount. https://www.touchofmodern.com/ ;)
pstaehlin

4.of.Clubs wrote:
pstaehlin wrote:ToM??? What is this?
Touch of Modern. It's a website that sells different products for a certain discount. https://www.touchofmodern.com/ ;)

Oh DUH! :roll: I'm quite familiar with Touch of Modern. Just recently bought the Dan and Dave Strangers Ultimate Deck off the site.
sinjin7
Cardist: Yes

Unread post by sinjin7 »

sms69x wrote:
While we've seen a lot of KS decks being sold on ToM at prices lower than their KS campaign prices (sometimes even lower than EB prices), I don't think I've seen any KS exclusive decks decks sold on ToM. In fact, the only time I've ever seen anyone renege on what was allegedly supposed to be a KS exclusive deck was Dan and Dave, when they sold their (only available on KS) Cardistry-Con 2016 decks on Art of Play as well after the end of the campaign. :roll:

Of course this kind of shadiness is not a surprise whatsoever from the Buck twins, but it would be shocking from Alex. He's always run honest KS campaigns and runs his business honorably, even to the point of taking a loss on a pledge tier where he made an error in pricing rather than reneging on the tier. I have the Apothecary decks in the running for many Deck of the Year awards, including Best Tuck and Best Deck Innovation.
vasta41
Card Oracle
Card Oracle

Unread post by vasta41 »

sinjin7 wrote:
sms69x wrote:
While we've seen a lot of KS decks being sold on ToM at prices lower than their KS campaign prices (sometimes even lower than EB prices), I don't think I've seen any KS exclusive decks decks sold on ToM. In fact, the only time I've ever seen anyone renege on what was allegedly supposed to be a KS exclusive deck was Dan and Dave, when they sold their (only available on KS) Cardistry-Con 2016 decks on Art of Play as well after the end of the campaign. :roll:

Of course this kind of shadiness is not a surprise whatsoever from the Buck twins, but it would be shocking from Alex. He's always run honest KS campaigns and runs his business honorably, even to the point of taking a loss on a pledge tier where he made an error in pricing rather than reneging on the tier. I have the Apothecary decks in the running for many Deck of the Year awards, including Best Tuck and Best Deck Innovation.
I agree 100%. I'd just rather be safe than sorry. Not that Alex has done it but it is disheartening when you see a deck you pledged for, that you helped create, sell for cheaper than what it cost you to pledge for it. Ass backwards. Either way, Best Tuck will probably have to wait until '17 voting. But should be a shoe-in.
IAmTheChin
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer
Decks Owned: 300

Unread post by IAmTheChin »

The gilded decks won't be sold on Touch of Modern for multiple reasons. One is that the margin on these hand gilded decks were nearly impossible to swing so there is no way I would wholesale them. I don't make a lot of money off them once I converted from machine gilded to hand gilded but it was a cool way to reward backers. Second is because they're preorder only and I intend to keep them that way. They're only available on Kickstarter and the Backerkit so you can select them from your managed pledge. I'm treating them the same as I did for the King John gilded decks and they have never been available on our site or ToM. It's a straightforward offer that I try to give without constraint during the campaign (with exception to the boxes). I have a couple set aside for contests but I only held my first one last week so it's not an easy venue to get them.

I learned last time people got really frustrated from having the limited decks run out so quickly. So I'm still having them limited for the run of the campaign making them truly special by the time they get into your hands from production, but easy to order if your'e an early supporter which everyone here would be. I felt like this was the most fair and transparent offering and so far people have been pretty happy about it.
Manage Your Collections with
http://www.Portfolio52.com

Every collection starts somewhere. Start your saga. Start with Seasons.
http://www.SeasonsPlayingCards.com
vasta41
Card Oracle
Card Oracle

Unread post by vasta41 »

Well it turns out there was an issue with the printing of this deck (from latest KS update):
Do you see it? It's not a color, pip, or font problem. No artwork is missing. It doesn't affect playability or condition. I even signed it to highlight it. What is it? It's the year on the black Ace of Spades for the Ponderings deck. It is exactly how it's supposed to look except it has well, a year placed in there, perfectly centered below the ace of spades. So what's the issue?

Well technically I didn't put the text artwork there, the factory did. It was just supposed to be a single pip like the white Ace of Clubs for the Insights deck. I talked to the factory rep and they said it was the first time they've ever seen mistakenly added artwork to a proof before in their entire career. We're so used to cards where Aces of Spades are featured we don't even give it a second thought. If these were shipped out I feel like many might not have even questioned it. I know this wasn't even pictured on the page and we probably could have glossed over this, but you backers are the life of this project and I will always be transparent with you guys. So no matter how small the issue, I'll always provide an opportunity to have open discussion about it. This was definitely a surprise to all of us. To some of you this might not be a conversation at all. It doesn't affect anything, cards look good, let's get these out! But I wanted to make sure I was on the up and up with everyone. I'm tired of Kickstarter projects that lack communication and I'd rather err on the side of over communication than under. That's my promise to you amazing people.

After a discussion with USPCC there are two things we could do:

1) Ship it back. They reprint the card without the year and manually reload the card into the boxes. The possibilities of color matching issues, registration, and tuck boxes being slightly rubbed are definitely there though since it's a different run and extra labor is going to be contacting each deck. This won't cost any extra to you guys of course, but all in all it will realistically take 2 more months to receive them back.
2) Ship now - as in more than half the orders will be shipping to you before Tuesday next week. All the cards remain in perfect condition and you get an Easter egg on the Ace of Spades for the Ponderings deck. Unfortunately we can't do both options because it would cause variations in the deck. I know we won't please everyone so I'm leaving it to popular vote and we'll go with the majority to be clean and straight forward.
The poll can be voted for HERE. I've already shipped out all orders that don't involve gilding or Pondering decks and Insights are being gilded as we speak. We've moved to the farthest point we can until we confirm a vote. Either way progress will happen this Saturday and movement is definitely something we can all agree on!

In the meantime here are more pretty pictures for you guys :)

I personally voted to ship them ASAP but if I am in the minority then I don't mind waiting. The decks looks beautiful regardless!
Talisman
Decks Owned: 166

Unread post by Talisman »

I also voted for them to be shipped. It's great that Alex was being transparent about this minute error, but it doesn't affect its use for playing any card game and I don't think anyone would have easily discovered this even if they used a fine toothed comb. Well, I could be wrong about that, but it's one of those things that you can say who cares. What really matters is that USPCC got the registration the way Alex intended them to be and that he is really satisfied in producing a product to his standards. That in itself is enough for me because as you can tell he is a perfectionist - enough so to find that minor flaw. I can't wait to get them in my hands!
badpete69

Unread post by badpete69 »

Ship away :drool: :drool:
vasta41
Card Oracle
Card Oracle

Unread post by vasta41 »

Talisman wrote:I don't think anyone would have easily discovered this even if they used a fine toothed comb.
sprouts would have nailed it. I miss him :cry:
tonyricciardi
Decks Owned: 1200

Unread post by tonyricciardi »

I agree. I voted to ship now. Honestly, if Alex hadn't mentioned it, I doubt most people would have even known. I also agree it's great that he's being up front and honest about the process and what's going on. Considering how many of us were chafed by the recent Mana debacle with the Platinum edition, it's refreshing to get regular updates with unfiltered honesty. Thanks, Alex. Ship away!
max
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Unread post by max »

Not only for playing, also for collecting. I don't think that's really an issue. I also voted for the shipping.
pstaehlin

SHIP'EM out, dude! :D
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin
White Whale: OG USPCC Vanity Fair [mint]
Decks Owned: 7800

Unread post by Mike Ratledge »

Go with throttle up! (famous last words?)
>Mike<
"You can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself"
They say "Ignorance is bliss". Obviously, some people are much happier than others...

Members are encouraged to
Show Us Your Cards!

Our UC2021 Decks entitled
"Odd Fellows"
by Lorenzo Gaggiotti / @Stockholm17
Coming soon: AKA
«Eighth Annual Decks»

UC members help maintain Portfolio52
THE Playing Card Database Online
Contact ecNate for details and access

UC2019 "Seventh Annual Decks"
by Montenzi Design
Funded 207% on KS: HERE

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

Insert disclaimer here...
All information posted as fact is accurate at the time of posting to the best of my knowledge.
RichK
Decks Owned: 250

Unread post by RichK »

I voted to ship but my question is how did USPCC change Alex's digital file? Or do they take the white color and create the inking "file", yellow color to printing "file", etc. and print as their own "file"? I don't know. Thanks for any info, Google wasn't.
Move on, nothing to see here.
vasta41
Card Oracle
Card Oracle

Unread post by vasta41 »

Anybody hear anything about this yet?
flyers3003
White Whale: Original Rarebit

Unread post by flyers3003 »

Do you mean besides Update #15 & #16?
vasta41
Card Oracle
Card Oracle

Unread post by vasta41 »

flyers3003 wrote:Do you mean besides Update #15 & #16?
Yes. I was wondering if a decision had been made.
flyers3003
White Whale: Original Rarebit

Unread post by flyers3003 »

I guess I'm confused - if we're talking about the decision to ship or not, update #15 says the overwhelming majority said to ship, so he did. Update 16 says that for anyone that did not get a gilded deck their order should've already shipped out. Was there another decision you were waiting on?
vasta41
Card Oracle
Card Oracle

Unread post by vasta41 »

I'm confused too- I pledged for the $115 LTD 2 tier but haven't received my decks yet. I didn't think there were any guilded decks in that tier? Just wanted to confirm here before reaching out to Alex.
Stepchild
Decks Owned: 146

Unread post by Stepchild »

vasta41 wrote:I'm confused too- I pledged for the $115 LTD 2 tier but haven't received my decks yet. I didn't think there were any guilded decks in that tier? Just wanted to confirm here before reaching out to Alex.
Those are gilded decks
Stepchild

Stepchild wrote:
vasta41 wrote:I'm confused too- I pledged for the $115 LTD 2 tier but haven't received my decks yet. I didn't think there were any guilded decks in that tier? Just wanted to confirm here before reaching out to Alex.
Those are gilded decks
Erp. No, they aren't. Was thinking of the $115 B1 tier
Stepchild

Stepchild wrote:
Stepchild wrote:
Those are gilded decks
Erp. No, they aren't. Was thinking of the $115 B1 tier
I'm on a damn roll here people: there are gilded decks in BOTH of those $115 tiers!