CALAVERAS DE AZÚCAR Playing Cards by Natalia Silva

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
NataliaSilva
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

CALAVERAS DE AZÚCAR Playing Cards by Natalia Silva

Unread post by NataliaSilva »

Hey everyone,

PLEASE, check out my latest and the most beautiful project "CALAVERAS DE AZÚCAR"!

"CALAVERAS DE AZÚCAR" is a custom deck of playing cards inspired by the Day of the Dead Celebration. Printed by USPCC.

Calaveras are the most recognizable emblems of the Day of the Dead – Mexican holiday, celebrated on the 1st and 2nd November. The word “Calavera” means skull in Spanish. “Calavera De Azúcar” is a skull made out of sugar, which is used to decorate Day of the Dead altars. These sugar skulls are very colorful and whimsical, not scary at all. I absolutely love the Sugar Skull style used for the Day of the Dead.

In terms of meaning, the skull symbolizes death but in a positive manner. In Mexico it is believed that death is not the final stage in one’s life but rather a step forward into a higher level of conscience. One thing that makes sugar skulls stand out from other skull-related creations is how jolly it looks. Most depictions of the skull are either creepy or morbid, but sugar skulls are happy and cheerful ones. The reason for this is because they want to capture the joy and spirit of their deceased loved ones.

The symbolism of a sugar skull is rooted in the decoration around the eyes. Flowers are meant to symbolize life, while cobwebs symbolize death. The skulls are designed to be bright and cheerful, being a celebration of the life that once was.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/39 ... =user_menu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Attachments
f39394a728b50027a7b62e26b23a55ac_original.jpg
f39394a728b50027a7b62e26b23a55ac_original.jpg (218.74 KiB) Viewed 1553 times
7154f30a7a381bd42af568dbca8d9f1d_original.JPG
7154f30a7a381bd42af568dbca8d9f1d_original.JPG (210.54 KiB) Viewed 1553 times
566b522b25e9e1737f2626e2d5533aa9_original.png
31dba85d494c9e9f3c8c9e32efc0af9c_original.png
31dba85d494c9e9f3c8c9e32efc0af9c_original.png (238.44 KiB) Viewed 1553 times
Justin O.
Collector: Yes
White Whale: Jaqk Cellars V1
Decks Owned: 400

Re: CALAVERAS DE AZÚCAR Playing Cards by Natalia Silva

Unread post by Justin O. »

Oh haha! I thought this was Dead on Paper's Calaveras project for a second and was surpised by the substantial change of the design.

I love the sugar skull nesting dolls, such a cute idea!!
Jackson completely revolutionized the way I waste money...
rousselle
Site Admin
Site Admin
Player: Yes
Magician: Yes

Unread post by rousselle »

If anybody backed for a red deck and decides to back out, I'd love to switch my pledge to include one.

Natalia, will you be opening up a few more pledges for the Red? I notice that not all 13 are accounted for at the moment....

:)
This space intentionally left blank.
NataliaSilva
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

CALAVERAS DE AZÚCAR
Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-06-29 at 5.49.25 PM.png
IMG_1913.JPG
Clubs.png
NataliaSilva
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Hey,

Thank you so much for your comments and kind words!!! I really appreciate this!

Yes, absolutely, I will be adding / adjusting pledge options depending on demand.

Thank you!
Kind regards,
Natalia
NataliaSilva
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

CALAVERAS DE AZÚCAR Playing Cards - Blue - Printed by the USPCC
Attachments
28f8b249eae609606303d593ed4d4b06_original.png
28f8b249eae609606303d593ed4d4b06_original.png (217.28 KiB) Viewed 1515 times
1a9b34338d8cd7760a84103e4938b07b_original.JPG
1a9b34338d8cd7760a84103e4938b07b_original.JPG (271.03 KiB) Viewed 1515 times
f0eca5f8331c896adb52a7a5c773c4d9_original.png
f0eca5f8331c896adb52a7a5c773c4d9_original.png (295.92 KiB) Viewed 1515 times
0c1d1becd719aa2786e3f1ab237afea3_original.png
0c1d1becd719aa2786e3f1ab237afea3_original.png (426.45 KiB) Viewed 1515 times
Bikefanatic
Decks Owned: 333

Unread post by Bikefanatic »

The blue and purple tuck displays don't pop, they look like light colored black tucks. Also without reading the whole campaign, are there other decks out with high gloss we can compare?
"When I like something, I buy. No matter who did it, how many were printed or how many (re)colors exist.

When I don't like something, I pass. No matter who did it, how many were printed or how many (re)colors exist."

-Lotrek

*MY PORTFOLIO52 PROFILE https://portfolio52.com/profile/26674

* MY SELLER REVIEW viewtopic.php?f=28&t=16586
NataliaSilva
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

CALAVERAS DE AZÚCAR Playing Cards - PURPLE - LIMITED EDITION

500 decks ONLY! Printed by MPC
Attachments
8983a0ff1025a0a41def2bb2e46944e5_original.JPG
8983a0ff1025a0a41def2bb2e46944e5_original.JPG (278.49 KiB) Viewed 1511 times
NataliaSilva
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Bikefanatic wrote:The blue and purple tuck displays don't pop, they look like light colored black tucks. Also without reading the whole campaign, are there other decks out with high gloss we can compare?
Hey,

Thank you for your comment!

BLUE and PURPLE Tuck Cases look really cool in person. The blue ......is a dark blue, it's not bright. Purple deck is also more dark in person. You can check out a little video in my campaign (showing the high gloss on the purple deck).

I personally really like decks with high gloss. My last Russian Folk Art "COLLECTOR'S EDITION" deck was with high gloss on the tuck case + on the back design, and it looks amazing!

Thank you!
Natalia
JazzVox

Unread post by JazzVox »

Awesome work as always, Natalia!
Hard to choose which colors so just have to get all of them :-)
Love the t-shirt too - very tempting.
Looking forward to what you cook up next.
Proud to be Backer #1 - Woot!
PrincessTrouble

Unread post by PrincessTrouble »

It's worth noting that only the black and blue decks are printed by USPCC. The purple, green, and red decks are printed by MPC.
joeblow

Unread post by joeblow »

The artwork is really amazing. Unfortunately I won't be backing this project, and I back many projects. The artificial scarcity and extreme pricing of recolored decks produced by MPC just rubs me the wrong way. I understand that there may be a market for that but I'm not going to support it.
RichK
Decks Owned: 250

Unread post by RichK »

joeblow wrote:The artwork is really amazing. Unfortunately I won't be backing this project, and I back many projects. The artificial scarcity and extreme pricing of recolored decks produced by MPC just rubs me the wrong way. I understand that there may be a market for that but I'm not going to support it.
So joeblow just get a black or blue deck. Those two are completely different decks. I was going to go for the purple and green but looked at what my credit card bill for this month will be and I passed on them. I understand your stance on not supporting limited run decks so just ignore that aspect of the campaign and get what you like.
Move on, nothing to see here.
Justin O.
White Whale: Jaqk Cellars V1
Decks Owned: 400

Unread post by Justin O. »

RichK wrote:
joeblow wrote:The artwork is really amazing. Unfortunately I won't be backing this project, and I back many projects. The artificial scarcity and extreme pricing of recolored decks produced by MPC just rubs me the wrong way. I understand that there may be a market for that but I'm not going to support it.

So joeblow just get a black or blue deck. Those two are completely different decks. I was going to go for the purple and green but looked at what my credit card bill for this month will be and I passed on them. I understand your stance on not supporting limited run decks so just ignore that aspect of the campaign and get what you like.

I would argue that he is making a point not to support the creator and thereby support the aspect of the campaign he doesn't like so as not to reinforce the use of that aspect in future projects.
Jackson completely revolutionized the way I waste money...
RichK
Decks Owned: 250

Unread post by RichK »

Justin O. wrote:
RichK wrote:

I would argue that he is making a point not to support the creator and thereby support the aspect of the campaign he doesn't like so as not to reinforce the use of that aspect in future projects.
Yes, that is a valid point.
Move on, nothing to see here.
Bikefanatic

I really like the Russia Collector's Edition deck. If these decks are going to look those, they're worth getting.

The Green and Red decks has their own tiers, why not the Purple deck Natalia?
"When I like something, I buy. No matter who did it, how many were printed or how many (re)colors exist.

When I don't like something, I pass. No matter who did it, how many were printed or how many (re)colors exist."

-Lotrek

sms69x
Magician: Yes
Decks Owned: 700

Unread post by sms69x »

Yep, that's very true.
The creator is only trying to make some easy extra money, maybe the creator is being searching playing cards too much on eBay..
The red deck has a production price of around $40 (at most) and is being sold for $120!! This is very ebay selling style...
But it looks like it doesn't matter as all the red decks are sould out, so people are willing to pay $120 for a MPC deck, but if you ask $300-$400 for an ICONS Imperial they call you crazy... Humans are a very complex type of thing!! :)
4.of.Clubs

Unread post by 4.of.Clubs »

sms69x wrote:
Yep, that's very true.
The creator is only trying to make some easy extra money, maybe the creator is being searching playing cards too much on eBay..
The red deck has a production price of around $40 (at most) and is being sold for $120!! This is very ebay selling style...
But it looks like it doesn't matter as all the red decks are sould out, so people are willing to pay $120 for a MPC deck, but if you ask $300-$400 for an ICONS Imperial they call you crazy... Humans are a very complex type of thing!! :)
I stopped backing after the Folk Art series. Personally don't agree with the deck prices. Rather spend that money on KW or Lotrek decks.
----------> Check out the decks I have for sale! <----------
----------> Also check out my Trade List and Wish List, maybe we can make a deal! <----------
Fes
White Whale: The Dude Deck

Unread post by Fes »

I like this deck. It's got a great style and it's fun. Easy for me to be a backer here, I even went in for a shirt. :D

I don't think of the MPC decks in a negative way at all, though I personally am not pledging for any. I see them as more choice for folks. I think there are several people who are very happy to have them coming their way.
TL:DR It's completely up to you.
We can still be friends.
I actually like playing cards.
We live in interesting times.
Bikefanatic

Yea my mind was like wtf when I seen the $120 price for the red. It makes sense if all the decks are the same that they should be the same price but. . . . you spend to get what you want. Once again quality is nice, another good comparison of the gloss is similar to the Royal Pulp special edition ones where the faces and tuck was glossy.

-Lotrek

flashcards
Cardist: Yes
Decks Owned: 600

Unread post by flashcards »

I'm in for a black and a blue deck which are reasonably priced and will be made by USPCC. I think the artwork is fantastic. This is the first Dias de los Meurtos deck that has ever appealed to me. As much as I like the colors of the LE decks, I won't buy MPC decks and certainly not for the outrageous prices listed. I'd love to have the other colors and would be really tempted if they were the same price and printer as the black and blue decks. However, like joeblow, I refuse to support this kind of artificial scarcity and there is just not enough about the LE decks to justify the price difference, other than the artificially low numbers. I respect Natalia as an artist but I can't support this type of business model.
jerichoholic
White Whale: Many
Decks Owned: 4800

Re: CALAVERAS DE AZÚCAR Playing Cards by Natalia Silva (wap)

Unread post by jerichoholic »

I agree with everyone else about the pricing. Sadly I would not be surprised if at least half of those red deck backers list them on ebay for like $300.
Save 10% at Playing Card Decks here - https://app.marsello.com/Portal/Custom/ ... 561772eaee
Save 10% at Card Addiction here using code VJOSE32 - https://card-addiction.com/?ref=1efow7c06m
Check out my collection - http://portfolio52.com/profile/124
Check out my reviews - https://www.youtube.com/vjose32
The Card Club - https://www.facebook.com/groups/vjose32
Instagram - http://www.instagram.com/vjose32
Game Collection - https://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/vjose32
jerichoholic
White Whale: Many
Decks Owned: 4800

Unread post by jerichoholic »

Save 10% at Playing Card Decks here - https://app.marsello.com/Portal/Custom/ ... 561772eaee
Save 10% at Card Addiction here using code VJOSE32 - https://card-addiction.com/?ref=1efow7c06m
Check out my collection - http://portfolio52.com/profile/124
Check out my reviews - https://www.youtube.com/vjose32
The Card Club - https://www.facebook.com/groups/vjose32
Instagram - http://www.instagram.com/vjose32
Game Collection - https://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/vjose32
Räpylätassu
White Whale: Black Palekh from 1937
Decks Owned: 700

Unread post by Räpylätassu »

I think that this Natalia's best work so far* and I have liked her previous works.

But after this, can we just bury the day of the dead theme for at least 5 years okay, please?

*Meaning the new campaign that Victor posted. Honestly it's pretty damn good.
Left my heart in SIERRA MADRE

"Finding it... that's not the hard part. It's letting go."

"One makes a trip by day, but by night one sets out on a journey." -Moominmamma

I dream of a world where wars are fought only by having dance offs. I also dream that a Finnish playing card designer would exist. The former seems more likely to happend.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a penguin. Have you ever met a sad person with a penguin?

Are lobsters mermaids to scorpions?

"I did not hit her, it's not true, it's bullsh*t, I did not hit her, I did naaaht! Oh hai Mark!"

MY TRADELIST

MY TOP 150 DECKS

MY PORTFOLIO52 PAGE
portcullis
Decks Owned: 440

Unread post by portcullis »

Yeah, Natalia is one of the few artists I keep an eye on, [Nicolai Aaroe, Gio @ Thirdway & Jackson Robinson being the others]. I'm in for a pair, but I've got a feeling it'll be the last deck I back for a while: Nicolai cleaned me out last week.

Gotta agree on the profusion of day of the dead themes, time to move on.