Anything and everything playing cards!
Reylek
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller
Collector: Yes
Magician: Yes

Card Club from Penguin - New Format

Unread post by Reylek »

Hey there everyone! I hope you all had an awesome (and safe!) 4th of July weekend.

I wanted to let everyone know about some changes we're making to the Card Club subscription at Penguin.

If you want to stop reading now and just get all the official info, the link is:

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/5628" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We're keeping the Club at the $20/month plus shipping price tag, and it still contains 4 decks. However, we're switching to include ONLY decks produced by Penguin and we'll be including 2 each of 2 different designs. You get one to open and one to keep sealed. This means a little less variety in each package, but it also eliminates the chance that you might receive a deck that you already own. It also means you can ignore Penguin release schedules, you'll get decks before they go on sale to everyone else, and you'll get them at the lowest price.

We'll be shipping the July packages later this week, and once a month's packages have gone out there's no backtracking - you can't retroactively subscribe.

This month we have one deck from EPCC and one from USPCC, both designed by Jared Hansen. I know a lot of you probably backed his Architect deck on Kickstarter, and it is finally seeing the light of day with a massively souped-up tuck box!

Architect: Designed by Jared Hansen and printed by the Expert Playing Card Company, the Architect deck is truly a sight to behold. The tuck box is crafted from a beautiful, heavy-duty deep blue matte paper that's just dripping with intricately applied silver foil. The cards themselves have the look of a blueprint, featuring a beautiful blue & white back design with fine line work. The faces are Expert Standard with a custom Ace of Spades and identical jokers. The handling is superb thanks to Damask finish, which has a medium thickness and snap with an exquisite embossing pattern and texture.

Steeplechase Park: Designed by Jared Hansen, this deck is a tribute to Coney Island's original and longest-running amusement park. The design is wildly colorful and vibrant - a perfect deck for summer. The faces have been completely recolored, and you receive matching custom Jokers and a custom Ace of Spades, as well as 2 useful gaff cards. The custom tuck box is closed with a custom sticker seal. Printed by USPCC on Bicycle stock with premium "Magic" finish, the deck feels and handles wonderfully. Only 2,500 made!
Attachments
ArchSteep1.jpg
Reylek
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Re: Card Club from Penguin - New Format

Unread post by Reylek »

Hi again! I got word that Club packages will start shipping out over the course of this weekend. So if you'd like to take advantage of getting these decks early and steeply discounted (Architect is half price as part of Card Club!) then I'd recommend signing up no later than tomorrow (Friday).

Thanks, and enjoy!
PrincessTrouble
Player: Yes

Unread post by PrincessTrouble »

Signed up. Thanks, Kevin.
DelMagic

Unread post by DelMagic »

$25 per month for 4 different decks with shipping was a good deal.

The new system is only better if you are a fan of the decks - but they reduce the chance of sending you a deck your are a fan of by 50%.

I don't care for the new system and I just signed up a few weeks ago so I haven't received my first shipment yet. It would have been nice to know when I signed up that the program could change without notice. I'll check out the first couple of sets and see if it is worth it for me.

John
JuFiN
White Whale: Delirium Signature
Decks Owned: 1000

Unread post by JuFiN »

Im in the same boat as DelMagic, Signed up at the end of last month eager to get 4 new decks and then got surprised by the new format.

I dont really want two of a deck unless I really like that deck so im not sure what ill do with the second copy of each deck... Ill stay on board until they announce next months decks for now because living in Brooklyn and going to Coney Island a lot, I actually do really like the Coney Island deck. But im not sure ill be so lucky in the future and ill really have to rethink if its worth it for me.
jerichoholic
White Whale: Many
Decks Owned: 4800

Re: Card Club from Penguin - New Format (wap)

Unread post by jerichoholic »

While I don't normally get 2 of each deck this seems like a no brainer for me especially since I paid $16.50 to ship 1 deck on 2 occasions already. This is 4 decks for the price of 1!
Save 10% at Playing Card Decks here - https://app.marsello.com/Portal/Custom/ ... 561772eaee
Save 10% at Card Addiction here using code VJOSE32 - https://card-addiction.com/?ref=1efow7c06m
Check out my collection - http://portfolio52.com/profile/124
Check out my reviews - https://www.youtube.com/vjose32
The Card Club - https://www.facebook.com/groups/vjose32
Instagram - http://www.instagram.com/vjose32
Game Collection - https://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/vjose32
jerichoholic

Re: Card Club from Penguin - New Format (wap)

Wait never mind, $25 shipping international? Especially considering you guys offer FREE shipping to Canada on many things, why not decks?
Save 10% at Playing Card Decks here - https://app.marsello.com/Portal/Custom/ ... 561772eaee
Save 10% at Card Addiction here using code VJOSE32 - https://card-addiction.com/?ref=1efow7c06m
Reylek
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Unread post by Reylek »

Hi everyone, I appreciate the feedback, and apologize to anyone who's upset by the changes. We definitely wanted to announce the changes ahead of folks being charged and the packages shipping in case the new format wasn't someone's cup of tea and they wanted to cancel.

The change was finalized over the past couple of weeks as a response to the various feedback we've gotten over the past year from subscribers and non-subscribers alike.

While many people did let us know they liked the variety, we've gotten a lot more feedback from collectors who wanted more than 1 of most decks, as getting only 1 put them in a spot of, "To open, or not to open?" Overwhelmingly we were finding that folks wanted 2 of most decks.

We also got a lot of feedback that while variety is good, folks are wanting new decks that they know they don't already own. While Card Club was (and still is) a great value, there was a significant likelihood of a high number of subscribers receiving at least 1-2 decks each month that they already owned and didn't need/want more of, even at a good price.

While there will never be a one-size-fits-all solution, we definitely think that most folks will benefit from and enjoy the new format. Getting decks early, at the best price, and never having to worry about whether or not a deck will sell out before you have a chance to get over to the site are features we're excited to offer. As I mentioned in my earlier post, the Architect decks are half off in Card Club, so this month's subscription is basically like buying 2 Architect decks and getting 2 Steeplechase Park for free.

Regarding shipping, this is a huge mountain to climb, especially with a site as large and complex as Penguin with so many thousands of items. I've been dealing with shipping cards for the better part of a decade, and trying to work things out with USPS APIs things never wind up lining up 100% for all the various permutations of orders and locations. Postal increases for international shipping have gone up significantly over the past couple of years. I am not 100% sure what packaging and method our warehouse team uses for each individual package, but I do know that to send out a small Priority Flat Rate box internationally now costs over $30. It's high, but our $25 shipping rate for international is actually a savings on shipping for a majority of customers.

I will definitely run it up the ladder to see if we can have different rates for domestic, Canada, and overseas though. I think we're much too close to the deadline for July, but I'll see if there's something we can do for August and onward.

Thanks!!

Kevin
vasta41
Card Oracle
Card Oracle

Unread post by vasta41 »

My two cents:
Full disclosure- I was never a card club member. But I was certainly on the fence and very close to pulling the trigger until this new format. My biggest issue with the new format is the same reason that I'm not a member of any other card clubs- lack of variety. What I mean by that is I don't want to be restricted. I like some E decks, D&D decks, T11 and Penguin as well but I don't like them all. I want the ability to choose so I don't want to be inundated with decks from only one particular company. That's why I was very close to pulling the trigger on this old format- many decks from all over the place.

A smaller issue I have with the new format is that I personally usually only collect 1 of each deck. I definitely won't sign up for a club that will give me two of each deck no matter how good the price is. Even though I know that's my personal opinion, the choice by Penguin to change the format doesn't add up. Take this statement:
Reylek wrote:While many people did let us know they liked the variety, we've gotten a lot more feedback from collectors who wanted more than 1 of most decks, as getting only 1 put them in a spot of, "To open, or not to open?" Overwhelmingly we were finding that folks wanted 2 of most decks.
"To open or not to open?" is a dilemma all card collectors face. If that were really the problem people could have very easily (I assume) sign up twice and pay double, receiving double. But saying that one of the reasons the format changed was because people wanted duplicate decks and then saying this:
Reylek wrote:While Card Club was (and still is) a great value, there was a significant likelihood of a high number of subscribers receiving at least 1-2 decks each month that they already owned and didn't need/want more of,
...is contradictory! To say you were concerned that people weren't getting duplicates and then say people wanted duplicates makes no sense. Which is it??

Obviously you can't please everyone and this club may be for some and not for others. Hell, overall it's still not a bad deal. But I personally am off the fence now and won't be joining card club, more because of my first reason.
Reylek
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Unread post by Reylek »

Hi Vasta, I appreciate the feedback. As I mentioned and you reiterated - there will never be a program like this that appeals to every single buyer and collector. There are so many decks out there with so many styles that a lot of folks are becoming a lot more selective in what decks they choose.

10-15 years ago I'd buy almost any deck that I came across, often by the brick when I could. Now I buy WAY fewer decks since there are so many out there vying for attention.

Let me try to clarify the point that you brought up as contradictory. Perhaps a better choice of words on my part would have been "designs" rather than decks. As I mentioned, the majority of our feedback from people was that they wanted more than 1 of a particular design in order to beat the Open/Sealed battle. Even in our regular sales, we find that when folks are buying single decks, the most popular number ordered is 2.

The issue with the higher variety format wasn't that someone might already own specifically one of a particular deck, it's that they owned that deck design already in whatever quantity they liked - whether that was 1, 2, or a dozen. To use a random example, we included Green Monarchs in a past Club package. Some of the subscribers got that and didn't already have it in their collection. Others owned it already and didn't need or want more. Yes, some percentage of those buyers may have owned a single deck of Green Monarchs and were happy to get a 2nd one. That's not the point I was trying to make. The bigger picture is that a good portion already owned the Green Monarch design whether one, two, or more and didn't need/want more of them, even at a discounted price.

Like I said, we've been getting feedback on Card Club for over a year and these changes are designed to try to make as many people get as much bang for their buck and enjoyment out of the subscription as possible. Our feedback was showing that people wanted new decks to the point where they could feel safe in being 100% sure that every deck in the subscription was something they hadn't already purchased as a stand-alone.

With all of that said, that doesn't mean there won't be some folks who find it less appealing, and for that I apologize. We always try to make as many folks as happy as possible with all of our products. But with so many tastes, needs, and desires, we totally understand that it won't be everyone's cup of tea.

I'd totally encourage folks who only want one deck for their collection to join up and split the subscription with a friend. That way you're only getting the number of decks you want, but you're still getting the best price per deck along with the early access.
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
Cardist: Yes
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

Vasta: It may sound contradictory, but it actually isn't. Let me try to simplify:

Old way: 4 different decks selected from all of the recently released decks that Penguin carries, hence a chance to get decks that you already own 1 or more of (from kickstarter campaigns or bought elsewhere).

New way: 2 each of 2 different decks selected from unreleased Penguin exclusive decks, meaning you get 2 of each but it will be decks you definitely don't already own any of.

Whether that is more appealing or not is obviously to each his own, but I can certainly see the reasoning behind the new way.
- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki
4.of.Clubs

Unread post by 4.of.Clubs »

Since I do have quite some decks, I actually do prefer only getting decks that I don't have. I just subscribed to the July decks, based on what I see I'm still in time for July shipment. :D

However, I don't always open all my cards, so 1 deck is usually enough for me. If anyone wants to split the subscription in the US for the July issue, please let me know.
----------> Check out the decks I have for sale! <----------
----------> Also check out my Trade List and Wish List, maybe we can make a deal! <----------
JuFiN

Unread post by JuFiN »

Would it be at all possible to have two different subscription options?

One a it is now only penguins newest decks 2x each for people with already large collections who want to guarantee they get only new decks and want two of them.

And a separate option for those who dont have as large a collection or only want one of each deck, but wouldn't be too bothered with the occasional duplicate (as opposed to a guaranteed 2x duplicate). This would have decks from a more broad set of creators instead of just penguin, and therefore might cost you guys more and as a result could cost 5-10 bucks more. I secretly suspect this new format is also a cost saving setup as you are only giving out penguin decks which I assume yields more of a profit.

Or just have the same two deck setup as is currently in place with an option for how many you want of each deck released each month with a sliding price that gives better per deck discount based on the amount chosen. (1 of each 2 of each, a brick of each -> $15, $25, $125 for example)...
rousselle
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by rousselle »

Since Steeplechase doesn't have its own conversation thread here, I'll note that I've received the most recent Card Club package, and while I was expecting to like Architect more, I actually quite enjoy Steeplechase. The custom work on the courts and gaffs are a pleasant surprise, and the overall theme holds together quite well.

Architect does have a nice tuck and I find the design of the backs to be exquisite, and Damask stock from EPCC is hard to beat. The deck fans perfectly out of the box (as does Steeplechase, which is a USPCC deck). Still, the standard EPCC courts, without even a recoloring to make them fit with the coloring of the backs/tuck, make Architect less than a home run for me. It's good, don't get me wrong, but not as strong as I'd expected. Steeplechase, on the other hand, for which I'd had lower expectations, really stole the show for this month's Card Club.

Both are fine additions to my collection, and I still consider Card Club to be worth the money (even though I did prefer the way it used to work. :))

I will also note that I very much like the fact that one deck was USPCC while the other was EPCC, that both felt like they were high quality, and that one went for elegance and precision while the other went for whimsy. The contrasts and the high quality were a nice touch.
This space intentionally left blank.
4.of.Clubs

Just got my decks, if any of you want a pair (one of each Architect & Steeplechase) at cost $12.50 plus shipping let me know.
----------> Also check out my Trade List and Wish List, maybe we can make a deal! <----------
Reylek
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Unread post by Reylek »

Hey everyone, rather than starting a whole separate thread for August Card Club, I figured I'd let you know in here that the August club package will be shipping soon. This month's decks are really awesome!

We have Blue Choice from Ben Kolozsi, in a fairly traditional Stud-inspired design with Arrco faces and printed on USPCC's fantastic thin-crush stock.

We also have Woodlands from Qiudi Zhang (a new artist in the playing card world) which is 100% custom with a nature theme, printed on EPCC's Classic Finish and in a side-opening tuck.

I've attached a quick cell shot of the 2 back designs. More info and the full overview video can be seen at the link below.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/5628" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Attachments
ChoiceWoodlands.jpg
jerichoholic

I thought you were going to be using USPC for all your decks? Not that it matters. When will Steeplechase be available?
Reylek
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Unread post by Reylek »

Not sure where you got the USPCC-only impression, as I'm quite sure we never made a statement like that. My relationship with both USPCC and EPCC goes back several years, so when I started working with Penguin the plan from the get-go was to work with both factories.

August Card Club will start shipping out on Thursday the 11th, so be sure you're subscribed before then if you'd like to snag these decks early.

I believe Steeplechase Park should be releasing this afternoon - I will start a new thread for that since one doesn't exist yet.
4.of.Clubs

Got August decks in!

Like last month, if anyone wants a pair (one of each) at cost ($12.50) + shipping please let me know!
IMG_1009.JPG
badpete69
Decks Owned: 1500

Unread post by badpete69 »

Got my decks for this month and i have to say it is making me rethink keeping the membership... When I signed up i really like the idea of getting 4 decks for this very decent price. But after this month where definitively I would never have bought the choice deck and maybe picked up 1 woodlands at some point, I am not sure about this 2 deck format. I might just cancel the subscription and buy as I go
JuFiN

Unread post by JuFiN »

yea im in the same boat here, I REALLY like the idea of monthly delivery of curated cards. I dont really like the idea of of just auto buying two of every deck penguin magic releases though... Especially when its not even a huge discount at 6.50 a deck. They are now selling the steeplechase from the last set at 6.95 a deck. So really im not saving any money at all, im getting a second copy that I dont want. Yea I get it a month before everyone else, but who really cares?
4.of.Clubs

JuFiN wrote:yea im in the same boat here, I REALLY like the idea of monthly delivery of curated cards. I dont really like the idea of of just auto buying two of every deck penguin magic releases though... Especially when its not even a huge discount at 6.50 a deck. They are now selling the steeplechase from the last set at 6.95 a deck. So really im not saving any money at all, im getting a second copy that I dont want. Yea I get it a month before everyone else, but who really cares?
I'm not a big fan of duplicate decks either since I don't open all of them. To be fair though, they are selling the Architect deck for $9.95 a deck, and steeplechase at $6.95.

Retail: $9.95 x 2 + $6.95 x 2 = $33.8
Card Club: $19.95

So you are saving about $13.85.
badpete69

So what happened to the club this month already the 15th and nothing
vasta41
Card Oracle
Card Oracle

Unread post by vasta41 »

badpete69 wrote:So what happened to the club this month already the 15th and nothing
If I'm not mistaken I think they said almost every month there'll be releases..
rousselle
Site Admin
Site Admin

I logged onto their site a couple days ago and typed into the support chat window my question as to whether there would be one this month, and the support person said that they are on hiatus this month.
Reylek
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Unread post by Reylek »

Correct, when we changed formats a couple months back, the goal was to do it a little less frequently to make each package the best it can be. We have 2 very cool decks for October!
badpete69

Got this month selection
Attachments
14875352_919408594869864_328916572_n.jpg
14875352_919408594869864_328916572_n.jpg (110.73 KiB) Viewed 1288 times
JuFiN

Unread post by JuFiN »

What are your thoughts on the spiderweb deck? I havent gotten yet, but it kinda feels like they didnt have a second deck and didnt want to shell out for a nice deck from someone else so they threw it together and did a minimum print run. Since we have no choice but to purchase it they didnt have to put in too much effort. Like yea we get decks for 6.50 but I dont see there being any demand for that one so its probably not worth even that. The idea that the deck is "exclusive" because they only printed as many as they had to to deliver to subscription members also doesn't feel like it increases value in this case. Anyway, I will be getting it soon so I hope I change my mind when I do.
rousselle
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'm under the impression that the approach Penguin is taking with their Card Club at the moment is that, if one of the decks is kind of "out there" in terms of customization, then the other deck will be more traditional (while still being *somewhat* customized.) Kevin can correct me if I'm wrong.

To the extent that Natalia Silva's Halloween deck gets the full customization treatment, yeah, the Spiderweb deck is much less tricked out. When I first opened it, it bore a striking initial similarity to the Spider Deck by Magic Makers from a few years ago. There are some obvious differences; these have custom, very one-way backs as opposed to the white and black bicycle backs of the Spider Deck. But, there's the card with the spider in the middle and it's twin with the spider missing. The altered coloring of the courts is less neon than the Spider Deck (which chose red, white, and blue outlines, if I recall correctly), with muted greys and some fills using either a solid grey or a slightly metallic silver -- I couldn't quite tell in the lighting of the room where I opened the Spiderweb deck if that's supposed to be metallic.

The Spider Deck was a go-to with my kids for a long time, and it's possible that this new Spiderweb deck could end up holding a similar position in the rotation... although, these days, I have quite a few more decks in the rotation than I did when MM was still introducing new products. As far as I'm concerned, the Spiderweb deck is a fine daily-use deck. It has a custom back, but the faces are not so customized as to be off-putting for the lay crowd. It's not strong enough to make me say, hey, this Card Club is the best thing ever! But, it's also not weak enough to make me say, crap, time to cancel. That said, it was paired up with Natalia's deck, which *is* a damn good fully-customized deck.

Oh, one more thing. In the past couple of Card Club shipments, if one deck was USPCC, the other was EPCC. This month, both are USPCC. That's neither a pro nor a con for me -- I love both -- but, if you have a favorite between the two, you might find that news useful.
PrincessTrouble

Unread post by PrincessTrouble »

Hi there! Thanks for supporting our cards-of-the-month project, Card Club. We're revamping the way we make cards, so we'll be releasing a LOT fewer cards this year.

As a result, we're going to press pause on card club for the time being. Anytime we print new cards, we'll just let you know and you can buy them if you like them. Easy peazy lemon squeezy.