Anything and everything playing cards!
JuFiN
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
White Whale: Delirium Signature
Decks Owned: 1000

Re: Card Club from Penguin - New Format

Unread post by JuFiN »

yea im in the same boat here, I REALLY like the idea of monthly delivery of curated cards. I dont really like the idea of of just auto buying two of every deck penguin magic releases though... Especially when its not even a huge discount at 6.50 a deck. They are now selling the steeplechase from the last set at 6.95 a deck. So really im not saving any money at all, im getting a second copy that I dont want. Yea I get it a month before everyone else, but who really cares?
4.of.Clubs

Unread post by 4.of.Clubs »

JuFiN wrote:yea im in the same boat here, I REALLY like the idea of monthly delivery of curated cards. I dont really like the idea of of just auto buying two of every deck penguin magic releases though... Especially when its not even a huge discount at 6.50 a deck. They are now selling the steeplechase from the last set at 6.95 a deck. So really im not saving any money at all, im getting a second copy that I dont want. Yea I get it a month before everyone else, but who really cares?
I'm not a big fan of duplicate decks either since I don't open all of them. To be fair though, they are selling the Architect deck for $9.95 a deck, and steeplechase at $6.95.

Retail: $9.95 x 2 + $6.95 x 2 = $33.8
Card Club: $19.95

So you are saving about $13.85.
----------> Check out the decks I have for sale! <----------
----------> Also check out my Trade List and Wish List, maybe we can make a deal! <----------
badpete69
Decks Owned: 1500

Unread post by badpete69 »

So what happened to the club this month already the 15th and nothing
vasta41
Card Oracle
Card Oracle

Unread post by vasta41 »

badpete69 wrote:So what happened to the club this month already the 15th and nothing
If I'm not mistaken I think they said almost every month there'll be releases..
rousselle
Site Admin
Site Admin
Magician: Yes

Unread post by rousselle »

I logged onto their site a couple days ago and typed into the support chat window my question as to whether there would be one this month, and the support person said that they are on hiatus this month.
This space intentionally left blank.
Reylek
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Unread post by Reylek »

Correct, when we changed formats a couple months back, the goal was to do it a little less frequently to make each package the best it can be. We have 2 very cool decks for October!
badpete69
Decks Owned: 1500

Unread post by badpete69 »

Got this month selection
Attachments
14875352_919408594869864_328916572_n.jpg
14875352_919408594869864_328916572_n.jpg (110.73 KiB) Viewed 1282 times
JuFiN
White Whale: Delirium Signature
Decks Owned: 1000

Unread post by JuFiN »

What are your thoughts on the spiderweb deck? I havent gotten yet, but it kinda feels like they didnt have a second deck and didnt want to shell out for a nice deck from someone else so they threw it together and did a minimum print run. Since we have no choice but to purchase it they didnt have to put in too much effort. Like yea we get decks for 6.50 but I dont see there being any demand for that one so its probably not worth even that. The idea that the deck is "exclusive" because they only printed as many as they had to to deliver to subscription members also doesn't feel like it increases value in this case. Anyway, I will be getting it soon so I hope I change my mind when I do.
rousselle
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by rousselle »

I'm under the impression that the approach Penguin is taking with their Card Club at the moment is that, if one of the decks is kind of "out there" in terms of customization, then the other deck will be more traditional (while still being *somewhat* customized.) Kevin can correct me if I'm wrong.

To the extent that Natalia Silva's Halloween deck gets the full customization treatment, yeah, the Spiderweb deck is much less tricked out. When I first opened it, it bore a striking initial similarity to the Spider Deck by Magic Makers from a few years ago. There are some obvious differences; these have custom, very one-way backs as opposed to the white and black bicycle backs of the Spider Deck. But, there's the card with the spider in the middle and it's twin with the spider missing. The altered coloring of the courts is less neon than the Spider Deck (which chose red, white, and blue outlines, if I recall correctly), with muted greys and some fills using either a solid grey or a slightly metallic silver -- I couldn't quite tell in the lighting of the room where I opened the Spiderweb deck if that's supposed to be metallic.

The Spider Deck was a go-to with my kids for a long time, and it's possible that this new Spiderweb deck could end up holding a similar position in the rotation... although, these days, I have quite a few more decks in the rotation than I did when MM was still introducing new products. As far as I'm concerned, the Spiderweb deck is a fine daily-use deck. It has a custom back, but the faces are not so customized as to be off-putting for the lay crowd. It's not strong enough to make me say, hey, this Card Club is the best thing ever! But, it's also not weak enough to make me say, crap, time to cancel. That said, it was paired up with Natalia's deck, which *is* a damn good fully-customized deck.

Oh, one more thing. In the past couple of Card Club shipments, if one deck was USPCC, the other was EPCC. This month, both are USPCC. That's neither a pro nor a con for me -- I love both -- but, if you have a favorite between the two, you might find that news useful.
This space intentionally left blank.
PrincessTrouble

Unread post by PrincessTrouble »

Hi there! Thanks for supporting our cards-of-the-month project, Card Club. We're revamping the way we make cards, so we'll be releasing a LOT fewer cards this year.

As a result, we're going to press pause on card club for the time being. Anytime we print new cards, we'll just let you know and you can buy them if you like them. Easy peazy lemon squeezy.