SS16 Virts Private Launch

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
alric
Cardist: Yes
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes

Re: SS16 Virts Private Launch

Unread post by alric »

The Flying Fisherman wrote:I also agree that the borderless decks aren't necessarily better for cardistry. A bad fan for example will not look good with a borderless deck, possibly even worse if the fan is not perfect as the deign should ideally match up, whereas the border gets rid of that issue.
Eitherway the deck is growing on me after seeing a few vids and photos online but i am not so keen on the face stripe design they have implemented.
I don't know what kind of full bleed decks you've been fanning with, but I have to respectfully disagree with this post. Having borders (usually white) on the backs make it obvious if your fan is even slightly off because the uneven spacing between the obviously visible white borders will scream out that your fan is jacked up. You don't have that problem with full bleed backs so they actually help disguise uneven fans by making it harder to tell if the spacing is less than perfect. smh
sinjin7
Player: Yes
Decks Owned: 1500

Unread post by sinjin7 »

alric wrote:
The Flying Fisherman wrote:I also agree that the borderless decks aren't necessarily better for cardistry. A bad fan for example will not look good with a borderless deck, possibly even worse if the fan is not perfect as the deign should ideally match up, whereas the border gets rid of that issue.
Eitherway the deck is growing on me after seeing a few vids and photos online but i am not so keen on the face stripe design they have implemented.
I don't know what kind of full bleed decks you've been fanning with, but I have to respectfully disagree with this post. Having borders (usually white) on the backs make it obvious if your fan is even slightly off because the uneven spacing between the obviously visible white borders will scream out that your fan is jacked up. You don't have that problem with full bleed backs so they actually help disguise uneven fans by making it harder to tell if the spacing is less than perfect. smh
While it may be true (depending on the actual design) that full bleed backs don't automatically make a deck better for cardistry, they definitely help fans look better for the reasons that alric stated. Therefore they can be made to be especially good for cardistry since fans and spreads are important flourishes for a cardist. Most full bleed backs have either a uniform patterns in a small scale (think Bee diamond backs, Steamboats, or E's Republic No. 2), or they have pretty embellished and ornate backs (like Luxx Palme, Draconian, Occults, or Zenith). When these types of backs are fanned or spread, the resulting "busy-ness" of the patterns help camouflage the edges of the cards in uneven fans.

Granted, if you lack the skill to make even halfway decent fans, then I suppose a bad fan is a bad fan, no matter what cards you use. But I think there's not much question a slightly imperfect fan will still look better, not worse, when using decks with full bleed backs, Certainly that same imperfect fan would look even more flawed with borders.
Fox-13
Magician: Yes
Decks Owned: 58

Unread post by Fox-13 »

While it's true that borderless design generally help mask uneven fans and spreads, I don't think this is the main reason why they went borderless. It think they wanted the colors to blend more into each other and to create shapes of colors undisrupted by borderlines. Look at the pictures they post on instagram, while being essentially a recoloring of the deck, the spreads and fans do feel much different, and more vibrant.

One point on even fans to be made with this deck. The angle of the black line on the left side creates a "pixelized" line that will tell if your fan is even or not. So, even with this deck being borderless, you will still need skill to make a perfect-looking fan.
The Flying Fisherman

Unread post by The Flying Fisherman »

alric wrote:
Yeah true, maybe I've just been out of the game too long to throw my two cents in the mix.
The Flying Fisherman

Unread post by The Flying Fisherman »

sinjin7 wrote:
alric wrote:
While it may be true (depending on the actual design) that full bleed backs don't automatically make a deck better for cardistry, they definitely help fans look better for the reasons that alric stated. Therefore they can be made to be especially good for cardistry since fans and spreads are important flourishes for a cardist. Most full bleed backs have either a uniform patterns in a small scale (think Bee diamond backs, Steamboats, or E's Republic No. 2), or they have pretty embellished and ornate backs (like Luxx Palme, Draconian, Occults, or Zenith). When these types of backs are fanned or spread, the resulting "busy-ness" of the patterns help camouflage the edges of the cards in uneven fans.

Granted, if you lack the skill to make even halfway decent fans, then I suppose a bad fan is a bad fan, no matter what cards you use. But I think there's not much question a slightly imperfect fan will still look better, not worse, when using decks with full bleed backs, Certainly that same imperfect fan would look even more flawed with borders.
Also here.... All my cards are in a different country to where I'm living now and so I only have a couple decks with me so I can't test a borderless out but I think you guys are correct for the most part. Full bleed decks do look kind of busy for me though but that's another story.