Intaglio Hand Engraved by Jackson Robinson - LIVE on KS

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
Thedissident001
Collector: Yes

Re: Intaglio

Unread post by Thedissident001 »

The Legal Tender debacle did immense damage to his brand, no doubt. It was also discussed having more decks in the series than the US/Chinese currencies already delivered. He would be wise to abandon the series, as he will likely suffer a big drop off in backers if he launches any follow up.
Whilst I admire his aspiration to deliver the Intaglio deck, I question it on a number of different levels. The primary attraction for delivering a project involving hand engraving would be the nostalgic element to producing a deck in a traditional way - his marketing of the deck thus far supports this - but he is using computer generated images as a base from which to work off? As intimated in the posts above, this way of working is likely to be incredibly labour intensive, making delays almost guaranteed. The deficiencies in end product generated out of working this way will throw at least as many backers out of favour as those who may be attracted by it.
I commend his resolve but can only really see this project further splintering his supporter base and continuing the decline of a once great brand.
pablo

Unread post by pablo »

I don't understand why he would start the kickstarter now, unless its an old video and by now he has most of the plates completed.

Enviado desde mi Aquaris_M4.5 mediante Tapatalk
sms69x
Magician: Yes
Decks Owned: 700

Unread post by sms69x »

Some Mod please join with the original post: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8541" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I couldn't care less about this project... Jack$on has proven one thing (lately), he just don't care about what he's delivering, as long as he makes money out of it. So for this deck I'm sure he'll make tons of money, but what he'll deliver that's another thing altogether... There's a tremendous risk in supporting this project (last time I heard him saying that a specific card project - Legal Tender - was his natural next step the things didn't went so well), as he as proven in the past, you can't trust his word on what the final product will be. Also with his latest late deliver time, you can only guess when you'll get this deck, I would say something going form one to two years from now, but that's just my guess...

I'm sure this will be a hit, and I hope, for everybody sake, that he can keep his word, but I hardly doubt it (insert here a nasty comment about Legal Tender :ugdance: )...
montecarlojoe
Player: Yes
White Whale: Avant Guard UL Gr - No17 Crown
Decks Owned: 690

Unread post by montecarlojoe »

sms69x wrote:Some Mod please join with the original post:
Done!

Hi Sprouts - good to see you! :ugdance:
vasta41
Card Oracle
Card Oracle

Unread post by vasta41 »

Thedissident001 wrote:The Legal Tender debacle did immense damage to his brand, no doubt.
I'd like to believe that but I don't think it's true. I recall reading somewhere on here (or one of the older UC versions) that we (UC) make up about 10% of the KS-pledging market. And whether you believe that or not, believe this- JR has abandoned us with no evidence of ever coming back but continues to create and promote decks of cards. Which goes to show you that our footprint isn't as large as we think it is. His decks are still selling very well in the aftermarket and his projects will still fund trifold. So outside of this community I'm not sure how many other people care about all his recent mistakes, carelessness, etc.
I personally hope that he came down to earth a bit after feeling some sort of fire to his feet but it might be wishful thinking. Either way I'm not backing this project as I didn't back his last.
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin
White Whale: OG USPCC Vanity Fair [mint]
Decks Owned: 7800

Re: Intaglio - Hand Engraved deck by Jackson Robinson

Unread post by Mike Ratledge »

I'm dubious of this simply because of the reason already mentioned: any attempt to hand emboss the decks from computer generated files is bound to be a problem waiting for a mess.

The Legal Tender decks are proof that he will deliver a less than quality product. I have refused to comment so far, but my US Legal Tender decks aren't even sealed correctly. Loose cellophane for one thing.-and consistently that way. I suppose that it's possible mine came from a "bad spot" in the process, but...
>Mike<
"You can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself"
They say "Ignorance is bliss". Obviously, some people are much happier than others...

Members are encouraged to
Show Us Your Cards!

Our UC2021 Decks entitled
"Odd Fellows"
by Lorenzo Gaggiotti / @Stockholm17
Coming soon: AKA
«Eighth Annual Decks»

UC members help maintain Portfolio52
THE Playing Card Database Online
Contact ecNate for details and access

UC2019 "Seventh Annual Decks"
by Montenzi Design
Funded 207% on KS: HERE

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

Insert disclaimer here...
All information posted as fact is accurate at the time of posting to the best of my knowledge.
shaitani
Cardist: Yes
White Whale: Artistic Spring

Unread post by shaitani »

I'd like to do some math on how long it should take him to do these plates...

Assumptions from the video:
  • JR said it "may" take him 2-3 days per plate.
  • He's already done 5 plates.
  • He also said 4 plates per court (although I suspect this number will drop to 2 when he realizes how long it's taking and how long it takes to align with the other plates)
So, with 54 cards minimum, and let's say 2-4 plates per court, the range of needed plates is 66 to 90.
Working exclusively on Intaglio, it should take JR anywhere from 132 to 270 days beginning to end.

Possible Delays:
  • The above estimate doesn't include the tuck plate(s) he needs
  • Or bonus cards like a second joker.
  • Plates that need re-doing for whatever reason
  • JR is unlikely to be working 'undisturbed' on Intaglio over the next X days since like most artists his works/attention tend to overlap.
Possible Gains:
  • The numbered cards may end up taking significantly less time than expected due to their sparse nature.
  • His speed may improve while working on the plates, cutting down the 2-3 day turnaround time.
Since it's impossible to predict what delays and gains there might end up being, I am just going to offer my own personal estimation for completion...
With production time as well as engraving time, I think the earliest we could possibly see a fulfillment is December 2017, and the latest is December 2018.
This range based on JR working nonstop with no delays (unlikely) and barring catastrophic delays (possible).
So a realistic expectation in my eyes is summer of 2018.
ecNate
Decks Owned: 400

Unread post by ecNate »

Claimed planned delivery in April 2018

badpete69
Decks Owned: 1500

Unread post by badpete69 »

Some people had pledge by mistake on the most expensive tier for the gallery deck but they have switched now. So you get $200 off in the first tier. Still very expensive though
pstaehlin
Decks Owned: 0

Unread post by pstaehlin »

Hoping to afford a "Gallery" deck, but wow! $$$$$$! Went with the Black Standard Edition deck.
pablo

Unread post by pablo »

He's made it sooooo easy to pass on this one. Unfortunately. International shipping costs are high, and I feel like he's getting worse at setting them. And im not sure why he would need 4 plates for each court card, seems to me from the rendering that they are monochrome, so one plate should suffice. Even if he did use multiple plates for one card its a recipee for disaster. Those huge differences in prices between eaely bird tiers are also a very bad strategy imo, we shall see...

Enviado desde mi Aquaris_M4.5 mediante Tapatalk
Cardians
White Whale: Anything Lotrek makes....

Unread post by Cardians »

Not sure what Jackson is smoking, but I'm sure this project will struggle.

Who has $2,500 - $5,000 these days for cards and some plates?

Easy pass as well..
vasta41
Card Oracle
Card Oracle

Unread post by vasta41 »

Wow, $18 for one deck shipped and not one mention of foil, embossing, etc. on the whole page. I guess he realized a little too late if you don't say anything you can't say the wrong thing. Still there aren't many campaigns (or any that I can remember off the top of my head) that don't list all the features of the deck and tuck right on the project page. So this continues to show me just how non-transparent JR actually is. Tsk tsk.
rousselle
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Intaglio Hand Engraved by Jackson Robinson - LIVE on KS

Unread post by rousselle »

Added Kickup to original post. I notice it's already 47% funded. Methinks rumors of the demise of his career are a wee bit premature.

That said, I'll wait for reviews of the finished product to come in, and then pick them up from his site if they turn out well. There's a lot of potential here, but I am... hesitant.
This space intentionally left blank.
shaitani

To break this down because he's mislabelled at least one pledge tier and I barely understand what the heck is going on:

There appear to be 5 different "Gallery" decks (these are the hand engraved ones we've been talking about here)...
36 White & Red (I1a + I1b + I1c) - $445 - $545 - $645
12 Navy & Gold (mislabelled on K1) - $1500
3 White & Gold (L1) - $2500
2 Red & Gold (M1) - $3500
1 Black & Gold (N1) - $5000

And what the heck is up with that J1 tier, you pay out the ass ($650 - $750), you get a numbered plate, but no actual deck that the plate was used to print? That's an odd decision.
RichK
Decks Owned: 250

Unread post by RichK »

I'd think, but that's crazy of me, that spending so much for a hand printed deck you'd get to choose which color you want. :uggrin:

And pablo is right, why 5 plates for a court when the examples show one color? He's no Lotrek when it comes to color alignment as far as I know if they will print multiple colors per court.
Move on, nothing to see here.
shaitani

Not sure why he worded it this way but the tiers keep saying "One Gallery Edition Set of Intaglio Art cards"
That seems to imply ... a set, but I'm pretty certain it's just the one deck.
I don't think that word means what he thinks it means.

Good luck to everyone backing, I personally will not be, although I was very interested at first, I can't justify $500 for a red-ink 1-of-36+ gallery deck, and I can't justify $18 for single regular deck on something that might turn out to be crap. I'll try to pick one up after the project if I hear good things (I avoided Legal Tender exactly this way).
vasta41
Card Oracle
Card Oracle

Unread post by vasta41 »

The fact that he's still charging a premium for his all but standard decks leads me to believe he has still not come back down to earth. His pride and ego took no hits and as long as he still has fan boys that fund his campaigns with no questions asked he will continue to run projects like this and charge more than he should. It's a shame because his art is so good but at this point, I'm proud to say I'm a non-backer.
Bikefanatic
Decks Owned: 333

Unread post by Bikefanatic »

Skimming over the comments in this thread, I cancelled my pledge.
"When I like something, I buy. No matter who did it, how many were printed or how many (re)colors exist.

When I don't like something, I pass. No matter who did it, how many were printed or how many (re)colors exist."

-Lotrek

*MY PORTFOLIO52 PROFILE https://portfolio52.com/profile/26674

* MY SELLER REVIEW viewtopic.php?f=28&t=16586
chach
White Whale: Vietnam Era Secret Weapon
Decks Owned: 0

Unread post by chach »

Woke up an hour after it started, and yeah, easy easy pass for me.
Attachments
574aa510639422f9e66a9832de8c6bfcad2b57a23afa95c8488baa81ee6ed301.jpg
574aa510639422f9e66a9832de8c6bfcad2b57a23afa95c8488baa81ee6ed301.jpg (41.92 KiB) Viewed 1627 times
WTB/WTT: Vietnam Era Bicycle Secret Weapon Deck
PrincessTrouble

Unread post by PrincessTrouble »

I did one of the standard deck pledges when the project launched. But after some reflection, I'm canceling, especially since he didn't specify which factory (Taipei or China) EPCC will use for this deck.
rousselle
Site Admin
Site Admin

Annnd, it's funded.
Azid

Unread post by Azid »

Not backing this one as long as i don't know if it is printed in China or in the Taiwan factory.

I'm wondering why he is showing only 1 Pic of the Standard Edition decks:

Thats all we got to see ? No detailed Pic of the back design and only 1 Queen in 3 Colors? I guess that the artwork isn't completed... another thing that keeps me away from backing this.

Maybe i'll get it after a few reviews on the aftermarket somewhere in the middle of 2018 ;)
Cbkimble
Decks Owned: 363

Unread post by Cbkimble »

I'm in for 1 of each standard ATM and I'm going to keep it for a while to see what progresses.
Feeding the addiction one deck at a time.
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

Azid wrote:Not backing this one as long as i don't know if it is printed in China or in the Taiwan factory.
From KWP Instagram, it does look like it will be printed in China.
jr_epc.png
jr_epc.png (655.9 KiB) Viewed 2664 times
rousselle
Site Admin
Site Admin

Not to put too fine a point on it, but what's printed on the box doesn't seem to necessarily reflect where something is printed, but it does seem to be an indication of where JR *intends* for it to be printed. :-)
flashcards
Decks Owned: 600

Unread post by flashcards »

In addition to the things mentioned in this thread, I have additional reasons I won't purchase any of Jackson's decks in the future. Firstly, I really don't need to see so much of his personal life put on display with every deck. The passing of his daughter was certainly a tragedy. I'm very soft hearted so something like that affects me strongly. To have that little balloon on every tuck is a nice memorial but it makes me profoundly sad every time I see it. Collecting cards is something I do to feel good; I don't need to be reminded of a someone's personal tragedy every time I look at a deck. Anybody want to do a Twin Towers deck? Didn't think so.

Secondly, I don't need to have Jackson's personal religious beliefs being shoved in my face on every tuck box. I'm happy that his faith gives him comfort but his religious beliefs are not mine and I don't need a deck of cards preaching at me and trying to make me feel inferior.

All in all, buying Jackson's work has become uncomfortable for me on many levels, in addition to the plain old crappy results from Legal Tender. I don't need to spend $400 dollars so someone cab preach at me and remind me of their personal tragedies. There are plenty of decks out there I can buy for $10 bucks that make me feel good, not bad.
Bikefanatic
Decks Owned: 333

Unread post by Bikefanatic »

I know this is the Intaglio thread but on Instagram, he has some guy with the US Legal Tender deck flipping the cards around with his hands, etc. :lol: Maybe that's Jackson's way of taking a shot at you guys or that you don't know how to handle cards well.

"I guess the cards stock and finish isn't that bad".
"When I like something, I buy. No matter who did it, how many were printed or how many (re)colors exist.

When I don't like something, I pass. No matter who did it, how many were printed or how many (re)colors exist."

-Lotrek

*MY PORTFOLIO52 PROFILE https://portfolio52.com/profile/26674

* MY SELLER REVIEW viewtopic.php?f=28&t=16586
sinjin7
Decks Owned: 1500

Unread post by sinjin7 »

Bikefanatic wrote:Maybe that's Jackson's way of taking a shot at you guys or that you don't know how to handle cards well.
If that's Jackson's intent, then that would be a colossal mistake on his part because we could flood instagram and YouTube with videos showing how some of his decks handle like utter crap compared to other decks, showing how inconsistently his decks were produced. We could also expose how he's misleading peopole with tucks that indicate the cards were printed in Taiwan when they were in fact printed in China. We would then end the videos with Proverbs 12:22 and Exodus 20:16.

I doubt he would want this type of flame war, so maybe he should check his snide smugness. . .
Thedissident001

Unread post by Thedissident001 »

When he ends his Insta post with "I guess the Cards stock and finish isn't that bad #practicemore" it's a fair indication that he has missed the point of some very valid objections. This is pure arrogance and I for one am happy to be an ex-supporter.