Intaglio Hand Engraved by Jackson Robinson - LIVE on KS

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
PrincessTrouble
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes

Re: Intaglio Hand Engraved by Jackson Robinson - LIVE on KS

Unread post by PrincessTrouble »

I did one of the standard deck pledges when the project launched. But after some reflection, I'm canceling, especially since he didn't specify which factory (Taipei or China) EPCC will use for this deck.
rousselle
Site Admin
Site Admin
Magician: Yes

Unread post by rousselle »

Annnd, it's funded.
This space intentionally left blank.
Azid

Unread post by Azid »

Not backing this one as long as i don't know if it is printed in China or in the Taiwan factory.

I'm wondering why he is showing only 1 Pic of the Standard Edition decks:

Thats all we got to see ? No detailed Pic of the back design and only 1 Queen in 3 Colors? I guess that the artwork isn't completed... another thing that keeps me away from backing this.

Maybe i'll get it after a few reviews on the aftermarket somewhere in the middle of 2018 ;)
Cbkimble
Decks Owned: 363

Unread post by Cbkimble »

I'm in for 1 of each standard ATM and I'm going to keep it for a while to see what progresses.
Feeding the addiction one deck at a time.
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

Azid wrote:Not backing this one as long as i don't know if it is printed in China or in the Taiwan factory.
From KWP Instagram, it does look like it will be printed in China.
jr_epc.png
jr_epc.png (655.9 KiB) Viewed 2764 times
rousselle
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by rousselle »

Not to put too fine a point on it, but what's printed on the box doesn't seem to necessarily reflect where something is printed, but it does seem to be an indication of where JR *intends* for it to be printed. :-)
This space intentionally left blank.
flashcards
Cardist: Yes
Decks Owned: 600

Unread post by flashcards »

In addition to the things mentioned in this thread, I have additional reasons I won't purchase any of Jackson's decks in the future. Firstly, I really don't need to see so much of his personal life put on display with every deck. The passing of his daughter was certainly a tragedy. I'm very soft hearted so something like that affects me strongly. To have that little balloon on every tuck is a nice memorial but it makes me profoundly sad every time I see it. Collecting cards is something I do to feel good; I don't need to be reminded of a someone's personal tragedy every time I look at a deck. Anybody want to do a Twin Towers deck? Didn't think so.

Secondly, I don't need to have Jackson's personal religious beliefs being shoved in my face on every tuck box. I'm happy that his faith gives him comfort but his religious beliefs are not mine and I don't need a deck of cards preaching at me and trying to make me feel inferior.

All in all, buying Jackson's work has become uncomfortable for me on many levels, in addition to the plain old crappy results from Legal Tender. I don't need to spend $400 dollars so someone cab preach at me and remind me of their personal tragedies. There are plenty of decks out there I can buy for $10 bucks that make me feel good, not bad.
Bikefanatic
Decks Owned: 333

Unread post by Bikefanatic »

I know this is the Intaglio thread but on Instagram, he has some guy with the US Legal Tender deck flipping the cards around with his hands, etc. :lol: Maybe that's Jackson's way of taking a shot at you guys or that you don't know how to handle cards well.

"I guess the cards stock and finish isn't that bad".
"When I like something, I buy. No matter who did it, how many were printed or how many (re)colors exist.

When I don't like something, I pass. No matter who did it, how many were printed or how many (re)colors exist."

-Lotrek

*MY PORTFOLIO52 PROFILE https://portfolio52.com/profile/26674

* MY SELLER REVIEW viewtopic.php?f=28&t=16586
sinjin7
Cardist: Yes
Decks Owned: 1500

Unread post by sinjin7 »

Bikefanatic wrote:Maybe that's Jackson's way of taking a shot at you guys or that you don't know how to handle cards well.
If that's Jackson's intent, then that would be a colossal mistake on his part because we could flood instagram and YouTube with videos showing how some of his decks handle like utter crap compared to other decks, showing how inconsistently his decks were produced. We could also expose how he's misleading peopole with tucks that indicate the cards were printed in Taiwan when they were in fact printed in China. We would then end the videos with Proverbs 12:22 and Exodus 20:16.

I doubt he would want this type of flame war, so maybe he should check his snide smugness. . .
Thedissident001

Unread post by Thedissident001 »

When he ends his Insta post with "I guess the Cards stock and finish isn't that bad #practicemore" it's a fair indication that he has missed the point of some very valid objections. This is pure arrogance and I for one am happy to be an ex-supporter.
vincero

Unread post by vincero »

Not liking the bottom flap of those tucks and I need to get "practicing" to fan those legal tenders. Easy pass for me
TGunitedcardists

Unread post by TGunitedcardists »

sinjin7 wrote:
Bikefanatic wrote:Maybe that's Jackson's way of taking a shot at you guys or that you don't know how to handle cards well.
If that's Jackson's intent, then that would be a colossal mistake on his part because we could flood instagram and YouTube with videos showing how some of his decks handle like utter crap compared to other decks, showing how inconsistently his decks were produced. We could also expose how he's misleading peopole with tucks that indicate the cards were printed in Taiwan when they were in fact printed in China. We would then end the videos with Proverbs 12:22 and Exodus 20:16.

I doubt he would want this type of flame war, so maybe he should check his snide smugness. . .
Do it. Make it so.
pablo

Unread post by pablo »

TGunitedcardists wrote:
sinjin7 wrote:

Do it. Make it so.
I was just thinking: that's not very mature of Jackson. But i was glad that when I found the video nobody from UC was taking him down. Just take the upper ground and leave it be.

Enviado desde mi Aquaris_M4.5 mediante Tapatalk
Gareth

Unread post by Gareth »

Thedissident001 wrote:When he ends his Insta post with "I guess the Cards stock and finish isn't that bad #practicemore" [...] This is pure arrogance and I for one am happy to be an ex-supporter.
Yes, doesn't give any confidence in Jackson at all. It is both arrogant and immature (as you've said) to denigrate anyone who have issues with your product. That's a bit sad for him.

Reading the KS text for this project (under Risks and Challenges);
Jackson wrote:My past experiences with being a Kickstarter creator have taught many lessons. My pledge to you as a backer and supporter of this project is to be completely honest and completely transparent about the entire process. If there are speed bumps or hiccups (which there always are) I will do me very best to communicate with you what is going on and how I plan to resolve any issues. One of the most important parts of being a creator and or a backer is to be flexible, as this IS a creative process and you are traveling along with me for the ride.
Hmm... He will do his best to communicate? I guess that will be new considering our experiences of recent projects. Cynically, the first sentence doesn't say he has learnt anything, only that there have been lessons - possibly just for some backers... ;-)

As much as I agree with the being flexible thing, the end of that sentence really sounds like people who pledge are meant to feel lucky he's allowing them to come along for the ride. Rather than the people are collectively paying so that he go for the ride in the first place.

All in all, I'm glad to sit out my first JR playing card project.
chach
White Whale: Vietnam Era Secret Weapon
Decks Owned: 0

Unread post by chach »

I took the last bit of that sentence there to mean that the people pledging are the ones that should be flexible. After all, we keep complaining about things he's free to change, so we should be more flexible.

I also saw that post by Jack$on earlier on instagram and rolled my eyes so hard I saw my brainstem. I really feel like pulling a Pontius Pilate and cleansing my hands of his work. Anyone want to make me a good offer on a Black Unbranded Reserve?
WTB/WTT: Vietnam Era Bicycle Secret Weapon Deck
cherrynukacola

Unread post by cherrynukacola »

Sitting this one out, too. This seems like the kind of project that needs attention to detail and, well, Jackson hasn't been great at that for the last couple of projects I backed of his.
sms69x
Decks Owned: 700

Unread post by sms69x »

I got confirmation from JR that those will be printed in Shanghai... Stay way!!! :)
chach

Unread post by chach »

sms69x wrote:I got confirmation from JR that those will be printed in Shanghai... Stay way!!! :)
Why, the finish isn't that bad after all. #practicemore :roll:

I wonder why he moved away from USPCC, they seemed to have a good partnership going and he cranked out some nice cards with them. And at $15 a deck, I'd expect USPCC quality.
sms69x
Decks Owned: 700

Unread post by sms69x »

chach wrote:
sms69x wrote:I got confirmation from JR that those will be printed in Shanghai... Stay way!!! :)
Why, the finish isn't that bad after all. #practicemore :roll:

I wonder why he moved away from USPCC, they seemed to have a good partnership going and he cranked out some nice cards with them. And at $15 a deck, I'd expect USPCC quality.
I guess you are right!! :D

And about that video, one needs to be desesperated to prove something to promote such a video. You can do package cuts with any deck regardless of the quality, even with my gift shop decks I can do that!! And they didn't cost me $14 :)
Thedissident001

I predict that this project will stagnate severely now. A few backers have dropped Gallery Editions (including early birds). Assume plate pledges will be similarly abandoned when people digest exactly how much they are paying for engraved copper and no deck.
Conturbia
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Conturbia »

My friends, he reached almost 56k in a couple of days, I wish I could "fail" as bad as him :)
Azid

Unread post by Azid »

sms69x wrote: And about that video, one needs to be desesperated to prove something to promote such a video. You can do package cuts with any deck regardless of the quality, even with my gift shop decks I can do that!! And they didn't cost me $14 :)
Hehe, thought the same.
This Video doesn't prove anything. This guy is "just" doing packet cuts (yeah they are quite nice), but if someone talks about the quality of a deck you shoud also show some fans, spreads and faro shuffle.

But hey ..... #practicemore !! :lol:
Cardians
White Whale: Anything Lotrek makes....

Unread post by Cardians »

chach wrote: Anyone want to make me a good offer on a Black Unbranded Reserve?
What do you consider "a good offer" to be? Two just recently sold on eBay for about $300. They're still holding there value.

PM me if your interested, I have a couple.
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin
White Whale: OG USPCC Vanity Fair [mint]
Decks Owned: 7800

Unread post by Mike Ratledge »

Cardians wrote:
What do you consider "a good offer" to be? Two just recently sold on eBay for about $300. They're still holding there value.

(which we know is very high for the quantity actually printed - if you include uncuts made by the hundreds. USPCC had a big minimum "back then")
>Mike<
"You can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself"
They say "Ignorance is bliss". Obviously, some people are much happier than others...

Members are encouraged to
Show Us Your Cards!

Our UC2021 Decks entitled
"Odd Fellows"
by Lorenzo Gaggiotti / @Stockholm17
Coming soon: AKA
«Eighth Annual Decks»

UC members help maintain Portfolio52
THE Playing Card Database Online
Contact ecNate for details and access

UC2019 "Seventh Annual Decks"
by Montenzi Design
Funded 207% on KS: HERE

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

Insert disclaimer here...
All information posted as fact is accurate at the time of posting to the best of my knowledge.
montecarlojoe
White Whale: Avant Guard UL Gr - No17 Crown
Decks Owned: 690

Unread post by montecarlojoe »

I just found myself dropping my pledge.

I had originally pledged without really thinking about it - I'd been a part of JR's projects from the very first - so it was a no brainer (right?)

Issues of quality control / transparency notwithstanding, the engraving is highly skilled and he gallery edition examples work extremely well - but well out of my price range.

Looking back at the examples of how the printed deck would look (just the one queen...) , I realised something really quite important.

I don't actually like them.

Or to be fair - the design - perhaps because of the engraving design process - seems to be lower detail and flatter in tone. When printed I kinda feel it looks a bit cheap. (And this may be compounded if concerns over the printer bear out).

The work and process behind the gallery editions is awesome - and make them extremely desirable to me - but i'm still waiting on that lottery win...
chach

Unread post by chach »

Cardians wrote:

Not wanting to derail the thread much more than I have already (ok, not really sorry). I just sold one of my 2 Black Unbrandeds for a bit less than the recent eBay auctions (friend discount) but still a fair amount. They have gone down quite a bit over the years as I remember some going for close to 500 a while back, but 250 or so is nothing to sneeze at for a deck of cards that cost me nowhere near that amount to buy.

I've one left, so not in the market to purchase. I'll probably hold off on selling my last one for a while longer.
Thedissident001

https://ptmoney.com/the-secret-to-runni ... -campaign/

He seems to have abandoned all of his once well founded advice. I believe this project will be either be his pièce de résistance or his final playing card project.
Attachments
IMG_2006.PNG
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin
White Whale: OG USPCC Vanity Fair [mint]
Decks Owned: 7800

Unread post by Mike Ratledge »

Conturbia wrote:My friends, he reached almost 56k in a couple of days, I wish I could "fail" as bad as him :)
Let's see, Ricky.

I think it will be cancelled. I am not the only one.

Jackson has done it before and this project has the same characteristics - it's been going backwards for several days
>Mike<
"You can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself"
They say "Ignorance is bliss". Obviously, some people are much happier than others...

Members are encouraged to
Show Us Your Cards!

Our UC2021 Decks entitled
"Odd Fellows"
by Lorenzo Gaggiotti / @Stockholm17
Coming soon: AKA
«Eighth Annual Decks»

UC members help maintain Portfolio52
THE Playing Card Database Online
Contact ecNate for details and access

UC2019 "Seventh Annual Decks"
by Montenzi Design
Funded 207% on KS: HERE

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

Insert disclaimer here...
All information posted as fact is accurate at the time of posting to the best of my knowledge.
ccralleo

Unread post by ccralleo »

It's at 61k+

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gareth

Unread post by Gareth »

At this point - with 9 days to go - the sales of the 'Gallery' editions are pretty average to be honest (although we don't have much to compare it with).
  • White/Red decks: 26 (24 of these in the two EB tiers)
  • White/Gold: 0
  • Navy/Gold: 4
  • Red/Gold: 1
  • Black/Gold decks: 0
Will be interesting to watch (from the sidelines) whether this increases or decreases as people realise the end of the campaign is approaching.