Siren's Deck- OCM playing cards - relaunch soon

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
sms69x
Collector: Yes
Magician: Yes
Decks Owned: 700

Re: Siren's Deck- OCM playing cards Now Live On KS

Unread post by sms69x »

Talisman wrote:Guys correct me if I'm wrong, but MPC is used mostly by playing card creators for prototype decks since they can print as low as 1 deck if you want. They do this to get an idea of what the deck would look like before they go ahead and get it printed from one of the big printing companies.
This is true, but they also have produced their own decks, and some very interesting, checkout the Impressions playing Cards series, for the innovation they put in, the cards are actually pretty decent.
jsantafe

Unread post by jsantafe »

That's quite a frequent debate: is NPCC better quality than MPC?
JS

Every deck I open makes your sealed one more valuable. You're welcome.
Talisman
Decks Owned: 166

Unread post by Talisman »

jsantafe wrote:That's quite a frequent debate: is NPCC better quality than MPC?
I just read an article earlier this morning on this on PlayingCardForum, and from there it was said NPCC is not better than MPC
jerichoholic
Player: Yes
White Whale: Many
Decks Owned: 4800

Unread post by jerichoholic »

I agree with that, I think MPC is better. NPCC cards tend to stick together when spreading and fanning, I believe because of an edge left on the faces from cutting. MPC doesn't have this problem and the cards handle fine.
Save 10% at Playing Card Decks here - https://app.marsello.com/Portal/Custom/ ... 561772eaee
Save 10% at Card Addiction here using code VJOSE32 - https://card-addiction.com/?ref=1efow7c06m
Check out my collection - http://portfolio52.com/profile/124
Check out my reviews - https://www.youtube.com/vjose32
The Card Club - https://www.facebook.com/groups/vjose32
Instagram - http://www.instagram.com/vjose32
Game Collection - https://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/vjose32
NoirArts
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer
Decks Owned: 0

Unread post by NoirArts »

Because of the debates regarding our and MPC's cardstock, we would like to inform everyone that NPCC uses EXACTLY THE SAME 310 gsm linen German black core paper (just compare Chivalry/Indictus/Nipponia with corresponding MPC deck)

"http://www.makeplayingcards.com/design/ ... -card.html

310gsm German master quality card stock with black core (linen air finish) -Minimum order quantity of 1000 required for this option"

and a few words about playingcardforum.com :
it contains very few feedbacks, and only on our early decks. There is no up-to-date info on our latest projects.

We constantly working to improve quality, from deck to deck, as well as offer more exclusive features for the decks to be really unique. Didn't want to jump forward and reveal, but our next major improvement will be with new coating. We are currently testing and choosing new coating formula, which will feel much better than current one.

best regards
Roman
jerichoholic

What stock did you guys use on the Defunctorums? Those were pretty similar to USPC imo and then wasn't used again.
Save 10% at Playing Card Decks here - https://app.marsello.com/Portal/Custom/ ... 561772eaee
Save 10% at Card Addiction here using code VJOSE32 - https://card-addiction.com/?ref=1efow7c06m
NoirArts
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

jerichoholic wrote:What stock did you guys use on the Defunctorums? Those were pretty similar to USPC imo and then wasn't used again.
If you compare Defunctorum and Nipponia, you can note the following differences:
1. Card stock type: 295gsm on Defunctorum vs 310gsm for Nipponia
2. Look: Nipponia is slightly thicker
3. Feel: Defunctorum is slightly softer than Nipponia
4. Handling: in order for Nipponia to achieve the same/better handling as Defunctorum - you'd need to shuffle them a bit.The more you do so, the better it handles. Yes, we are aware about this detail. The reason is that we had to replace one of the coating components due to manufacturer's certification and regulatory issues.

And, as I said in my previous post, after the tests we are going to update coating formula for better handling and avoid this "shuffle-thing".
Attachments
P1030518.JPG
sms69x
Magician: Yes

Unread post by sms69x »

NoirArts wrote:Because of the debates regarding our and MPC's cardstock, we would like to inform everyone that NPCC uses EXACTLY THE SAME 310 gsm linen German black core paper (just compare Chivalry/Indictus/Nipponia with corresponding MPC deck)
The stock maybe the same but the finish or coating is very different. MPC decks fan ok right out of the box, while NPCC's don't, and here I'm refering the Chivalry deck, which fans very poorly. Maybe, as you said, it's needed to shuffle the deck several times in order for it to fan and handle better, but I rarely use my decks too much, so I can only tell the experience with decks as they are right out of the box!
billdragon
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

Unread post by billdragon »

a la. whats going on here. someone from npcc came. :) [BACON]

yea, actually when my Canadian mate there said something about npcc deck not able to fan properly because of a edge cut. I suspected it might be the coating instead as I myself do have good knowledge in professional printing/cutting with industrial level printers. thank you for clearing that part for us, noir :)

coating can be a big concern as it directly effects the ink outputs and the state of the ink that's on top of the paper. especially when temperature and printer type is involved.

I know for sure that decks produced in china or taiwan (basically china again) won't have big paper quality problems even if the production is cheap. Since china is the origin country that invented paper and printing (some history here) and the process has been very much matured. they are just really good with papers from the earliest rice papers to the newest triple coated papers, :)

anyways. all this aside, I am going to relaunch Tuesday Evenning Canadian est time and I will post some uc exclusive views of the abysses deck and new link. looking forward for everyone's critic. [BACON]
NoirArts
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Hey billdragon
Yes we are here, checking out :) Nice project, though :)
Very few comments from us does not mean that we are not monitoring what's going on here, hehe
billdragon wrote: ..coating can be a big concern as it directly effects the ink outputs and the state of the ink that's on top of the paper. especially when temperature and printer type is involved...

Exactly! you are absolutely right. Moreover, for very complicated graphics and highly detailed thin elements or special inks (special gold/silver or other metallics, etc.) it is required to use special additives for inks stick to paper. They affect further coating process as well as final handling feel (tons of tech things needs to be considered).

What I wanted to mention - is that we are constantly improving. And every new deck's quality is better. Better cut, better tucks, embossing, seals, and many more. You can't just start from scratch, and become the best right away. We have a goal - and working to achieve it. Constructive criticism is always valuable and appreciated.
RichK
Decks Owned: 250

Unread post by RichK »

billdragon wrote: anyways. all this aside, I am going to relaunch Tuesday Evenning Canadian est time and I will post some uc exclusive views of the abysses deck and new link. looking forward for everyone's critic.
Looking forward to it. :)
Move on, nothing to see here.
billdragon
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

Siren Deck_second relaunch_abysses deck

Hey guy

(relaunch is happening soon, I will edit this same post for relaunch link later so I don't waste extra uc post)

As you guys know, a week ago I encountered a big problem where I misunderstood epcc's min requirement and had to change printer. So I paused the successful project to work on the issue.

During this time, I talked to yuki from mpc and decided to go with them as my time is limited.
I also took this time to look in to the future and check for any potential problems

Could you guys please help me check my preview link and let me know if you saw anything that doesn't feels right ? (calculation, rate, professional card spelling) <--I already fixed the "tuck" spelling

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/15 ... n=c3f4b8c9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

below is a list of main changes in short forms:

- diamond deck reverted to self publish with WG because of the printer change/ all other choices don't work

-shipping reverted back to normal ks rate shipping (dropped cad and new post rate, I reduced the price for all products I have in compensation, and I included a new tier where I feature the card and the box. I also reverted the shipping rate because I do not want another miscalculation to occur that puts me to relaunch, its stressful)

-ancient joker is put on link cards (extra 2 card in mpc counts as extra 20 cards price)

- a secret code is added in to the ancient deck
-book mark set is improved and backer badge is added ( will reveal in relaunch)

-abysses deck reveal sneak peak, exclusive reveal on uc

below is a list of doubts in my mind atm [BACON]
( I know the award section feels a bit high right now, I put my rethink in terms of backers after I get some sleep first, please let me know any suggestions)

- does the ace/jqk pictures feels fuzzy?
- am I missing award tiers?
-am I spelling any prof. card word wrong?
- does the page still feels too long? or is that alright

- shipping rate feels high, but it seems like other ks project are having the same trouble. anyone any suggestions?
I am going with canada post. ups is too high, fulfillment is also high and feels unreliable to me.( I like to put things under my control for this project so I don't make mistakes)

That's all for now :) [BACON]
thank you guys/admin,moderators,sentinals,kings,queens,deathvaders,journeymen,whatever being out there on uc

p.s I havn't seen mike at all in the recent week after his comment on my campaign for my new problem. is everything alright with admin?
Attachments
UC copy.jpg
UC2.jpg
billdragon
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

Re: Siren Deck_second relaunch_abysses deck

guys, please ignore my grammer mistakes for now. I been working for a long period and require a much needed sleep.

please fire me away, and I will read everything after some sleep :)
JofDiamonds

Unread post by JofDiamonds »

billdragon wrote:guys, please ignore my grammer mistakes for now. I been working for a long period and require a much needed sleep.

please fire me away, and I will read everything after some sleep :)
*Grammar*

hehehehe :twisted:

What popped out to me is, on the right joker, the - let's call it a clawed bikini top - seems oddly flat, like the shading is off. But it might just be me.
CBJ
Decks Owned: 2000

Unread post by CBJ »

PLease don't start more than one thread for the same campaign

Jason
CBJ

Are you a Bicycle collector? Come join the Facebook group: www.BicycleCardCollectors.com
billdragon
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

I understand.

its a different campaign with same material and new deck

but my problem is that the edit ability for my previous post was shut down. I can't put in link or pictures.

can someone turn my edit ability for my first post back on so I can put in the new link
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin
White Whale: OG USPCC Vanity Fair [mint]
Decks Owned: 7800

Unread post by Mike Ratledge »

billdragon wrote:p.s I havn't seen mike at all in the recent week after his comment on my campaign for my new problem. is everything alright with admin?
Bill, my wife had a heart attack, so I have been a bit busy taking care of her and doing the radiology tests ("x-ray") we found she has a hiatal hernia also. It's not much fun, very painful and we're both quite worried about the outcome, so I have been 'quiet'.

I unlocked the OP ("Original Post") back at the first of this topic/thread, so you can adjust it as you want. For now I just changed it to read "relaunch soon" - you may want to 'fix' it or change it as appropriate both now and when you actually relaunch the campaign. A new "kickup" (kickstarter & kicktraq) needs to be inserted once the project is launched: there's no way to know what the actual URL will be once you push the big green button (known problem - it's been that way 'forever'), so you can't fix it until after you actually launch again. Usually that post is made by a mod, but since you posted it, feel free to update it as you see fit, normally one of the team will go put the new "(kickup)xxx(/kickup)" code in for you.
>Mike<
"You can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself"
They say "Ignorance is bliss". Obviously, some people are much happier than others...

Members are encouraged to
Show Us Your Cards!

Our UC2021 Decks entitled
"Odd Fellows"
by Lorenzo Gaggiotti / @Stockholm17
Coming soon: AKA
«Eighth Annual Decks»

UC members help maintain Portfolio52
THE Playing Card Database Online
Contact ecNate for details and access

UC2019 "Seventh Annual Decks"
by Montenzi Design
Funded 207% on KS: HERE

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

Insert disclaimer here...
All information posted as fact is accurate at the time of posting to the best of my knowledge.
RichK
Decks Owned: 250

Re: Siren's Deck- OCM playing cards - relaunch soon

Unread post by RichK »

billdragon,

I, and a VJ, have posted feedback. They need answers. :)
Move on, nothing to see here.
billdragon
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

rich vj, I just saw it. sorry, I 've been busy trying to make a post buisness account so I can save money on shipping.
I will get to you guys right after this.

admin. I had the feeling it was something like that since a week ago. I got a bit worried.
please, don't mind me. I can continue post here and work my problem out.

please do take your time to sort out your parts.
and if anything i can do, let me know.

p.s I worked out some solutions to cheapen the cost. I have a very long update I need to make tonight. if you were part of my old campaign, stay tuned
billdragon
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

the new relaunch link is here

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/15 ... m-workshop" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've made edits the main post here. and changed attachments to abysses

I did find a cheaper and faster shipping from draft (tm buisness shipping card) campaign and underwent ks review for project this time.

that's all.
thx guys.
Räpylätassu
White Whale: Black Palekh from 1937

Unread post by Räpylätassu »

Backed for one Diamond edition!
Left my heart in SIERRA MADRE

"Finding it... that's not the hard part. It's letting go."

"One makes a trip by day, but by night one sets out on a journey." -Moominmamma

I dream of a world where wars are fought only by having dance offs. I also dream that a Finnish playing card designer would exist. The former seems more likely to happend.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a penguin. Have you ever met a sad person with a penguin?

Are lobsters mermaids to scorpions?

"I did not hit her, it's not true, it's bullsh*t, I did not hit her, I did naaaht! Oh hai Mark!"

MY TRADELIST

MY TOP 150 DECKS

MY PORTFOLIO52 PAGE
jerichoholic

Wish the prices were lower, $49 Canadian for both decks with shipping seems rather high, especially when I just pledged for 3 stellar Jody Eklund decks for $41 US with shipping, which works out to almost the same price in CAD.
Talisman
Decks Owned: 166

Unread post by Talisman »

jerichoholic wrote:Wish the prices were lower, $49 Canadian for both decks with shipping seems rather high, especially when I just pledged for 3 stellar Jody Eklund decks for $41 US with shipping, which works out to almost the same price in CAD.
Victor, international shipping costs seems to always be an issue for you. May I suggest if you live close to the US/Canadian border, rent out a mailbox in the US and send all your US based packages there.
billdragon
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

true say. that price is my biggest concern as well since relaunch.

its disturbing that canada post upgraded their price so much.
really tried, made a tm shipping card and lowered the price on wg.

but, totally know it would still be a concern. gotta keep searching for better means.

p.s wait a min, jer, I thought you are canadian?? where ya from
billdragon
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

hey guys. so, siren deck is funded today.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/15 ... m-workshop" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

being a while, I will drop a note here and say thank you to the people that supported me :)
thank you guys. being a tough ride

p.s I promised some people I go to bund 18 to see if the bund18 deck is available. I am still on that. my grandfather came back a week ago and I will be making a trip there next week to bund18. cheers
billdragon
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

last few hours of the project, full abysses drawings released a week ago.

Räpylätassu

So my pledge arrived today. I only got one of those White Gold decks, I did not get any of the MPC ones. I have some stuff to say now, both positive and negative. I will start with positives:

Positives:

1. The artwork. This deck looks stunning and Jian really is a talented artist.

2. Communication. Jian had a great communication through the campaign, he posted several updates and pretty much weekly mini updates in the comments section. I always knew what was going on. I knew the dates when stuff was going on and I knew how long it took for that stuff to go on.

3. Arrived early. The estimated delivery was in september and I got mine now that August is not even half way through. Although some of the White Gold decks will most likely be just a couple of weeks late, Jian managed to get 150 White Gold decks printed early.

Now some negatives:

Negatives:

1. The stock. Yes it looks cool. But the paper used just does not feel like a playing card stock. It feels like a fancy Happy Birthday card. However that is a small problem compared to the other two.

2. The corners. This deck does not have round corners. Instead it has 90 degree corners like a Happy Birthday card. I don't like it. Not one bit. That and the stock used make these feel like greeting cards and not playing cards.

3. The tuck. It's very bad quality. It's pretty hard to take the cards out and put them back in it.

Final thoughts: I do hope that Jian makes another project, if the artwork is even half as good as this one I will be all over it. His communication was top notch, so if you have any concerns about his character, you have nothing to worry about. If you like this deck, pick up the MPC ones (which I will be trying to do), do not bother with this version. If he does anymore decks with this paper, stay away.

To Jian, please do another project but never again print with this paper. It was a good shot, just did not work well. If your next project is as great looking as this, I will get it no questions asked as long as it is done on an actual playing card stock. If you have any MPC decks left, PM me, I will buy at least one.

I dream of a world where wars are fought only by having dance offs. I also dream that a Finnish playing card designer would exist. The former seems more likely to happend.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a penguin. Have you ever met a sad person with a penguin?

"I did not hit her, it's not true, it's bullsh*t, I did not hit her, I did naaaht! Oh hai Mark!"

MY TRADELIST

MY TOP 150 DECKS

MY PORTFOLIO52 PAGE
PrincessTrouble

Unread post by PrincessTrouble »

Did all 3 versions get funded? Diamond, Ancient Abyss, and Limited Edition?
Räpylätassu

PrincessTrouble wrote:Did all 3 versions get funded? Diamond, Ancient Abyss, and Limited Edition?
Yes, the other two are printed by MPC (The brown one and the deep blue one) Those decks are already printed, 150 of these Diamond ones too and the rest of the Diamond decks get printed on September.

MY TRADELIST

MY TOP 150 DECKS

MY PORTFOLIO52 PAGE
billdragon
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

ahh, there is my post.
I was worried I wont be able to find it again.

pff, yea I gotta agree with you.

my diamond tuck literally killed my hands. I wasn't able to locate a machine that can elastic shoot on a paper that good.
so I ended up having to manually assemble the tuck.

and the biggest lesson I learned here is that. may be for now when he technology is not on par yet, its better to go completely with
a full package printer. even though I really hate the catriage paper normal printers use.

honestly speaking I don't have a lot of extras left, only 5-6 for each edition and extra-wanting-people list is piling up.
so I will make a quick post about it in the very end and distribute it away to backers first, and whatever left to my friends.

I've gotten really busy lately because I got a new job in supervising certain VR/AR development project with a company.
so I can't be very sure if I am capable of diving in to cards again.

but hopfully I can and next time I will fully go with a printer and focus more on the artistic aspect that can work.

great to see everyone again on UC :)
cheers.

jian

p.s X_X ras, why you are sentinal on here and I am still apprentice after 4 month,lol