Bicycle Scarabs from Crooked Kings - shipping status ???

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
sms69x
Collector: Yes
Magician: Yes
Decks Owned: 700

Re: Bicycle Scarabs from Crooked Kings - now LIVE on Kicksta

Unread post by sms69x »

louizz wrote:sms69x, I'm sorry you feel burned about the viking king deck. That's actually one of my favorite tuck box designs. You didn't really give specifics as to what you were expecting, other than that you were "burned by it", so I'm at a loss here. As for you not having received Feudal and Full Moon, Feudal has been done with fulfillment for a quite while now, and if you haven't received them, then something is wrong. I have not received any messages on KS from anyone about not receiving their order. I'm assuming you have not messaged us about it. Have you? Full Moon is recently completed, and I see that you're international, so it's possible that they are stuck in customs somewhere. Did you get a tracking number?
Not wanting to drag this conversation out of the topic any longer, just want to clarify that I haven't received my Feudal order because my country customs have returned it the first time to the sender without explained me why, but people at CKC have resend it to me, but it got caught again at my customs country and I'm still waiting for it, I've alredy sent the documents they request but still nothing!

My Full moon order is also at my country customs I got the notification a few days ago, so I sent them the documents and now just need to wait, hopefuly I'll get it soon!
louizz
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by louizz »

sms69x wrote:but people at CKC have resend it to me
So, one last thing here I'd like to point out. You were calling me/CKC greedy- but, we probably paid to ship that back out to you on our dime... I'm just saying. :lol:
jerichoholic
Player: Yes
White Whale: Many
Decks Owned: 4800

Unread post by jerichoholic »

To be fair Jackson hasn't done many tuck swaps recently, or many at all. I never really the whole idea of a different cheap tuck so that you can open a deck though.
Save 10% at Playing Card Decks here - https://app.marsello.com/Portal/Custom/ ... 561772eaee
Save 10% at Card Addiction here using code VJOSE32 - https://card-addiction.com/?ref=1efow7c06m
Check out my collection - http://portfolio52.com/profile/124
Check out my reviews - https://www.youtube.com/vjose32
The Card Club - https://www.facebook.com/groups/vjose32
Instagram - http://www.instagram.com/vjose32
Game Collection - https://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/vjose32
4.of.Clubs

Unread post by 4.of.Clubs »

Here it is.
----------> Check out the decks I have for sale! <----------
----------> Also check out my Trade List and Wish List, maybe we can make a deal! <----------
SBurk49
Decks Owned: 300

Unread post by SBurk49 »

I am eagerly awaiting a pledge level for the Ruby and Sapphire only. I really don't have any interest in the plain tuck boxes. Maybe if they use backerkit I can grab em on the back end by just doing the $2 pledge level. We'll see.
"Cards are war, in disguise of a sport."
sms69x

Unread post by sms69x »

So here it is, without too many surprise, I guess most of us already knew what was comming. I still believe that another one is on the making, watch for it!
SBurk49 wrote:I am eagerly awaiting a pledge level for the Ruby and Sapphire only. I really don't have any interest in the plain tuck boxes. Maybe if they use backerkit I can grab em on the back end by just doing the $2 pledge level. We'll see.
I seriously doubt that you'll be able to get those without buy the standard version, as the creator explained a few posts back, this is his business model, so if you only like the "limited/special" tuck you have to buy them all.
Bikefanatic
Decks Owned: 333

Unread post by Bikefanatic »

Bikefanatic wrote:The all blue/Sapphire deck is coming next. . . . :o
Yup it was obvious. Hell, come out with an emerald, topaz and amethyst tuck if you want to. Create many tucks because at the end of the day, it's mostly about delivering what people paid for.
"When I like something, I buy. No matter who did it, how many were printed or how many (re)colors exist.

When I don't like something, I pass. No matter who did it, how many were printed or how many (re)colors exist."

-Lotrek

*MY PORTFOLIO52 PROFILE https://portfolio52.com/profile/26674

* MY SELLER REVIEW viewtopic.php?f=28&t=16586
vasta41
Card Oracle
Card Oracle

Unread post by vasta41 »

SBurk49 wrote:I am eagerly awaiting a pledge level for the Ruby and Sapphire only. I really don't have any interest in the plain tuck boxes. Maybe if they use backerkit I can grab em on the back end by just doing the $2 pledge level. We'll see.
I couldn't agree more. These tuck cases blow the original ones out of the water. $18 each is still pushing it in my book though.
badpete69
Decks Owned: 1500

Unread post by badpete69 »

Special limited decks now available

This awesome set comes with:

2 beautiful display boxes adorned in both Sapphire and Ruby colors
2 custom Crooked Kings hand numbered seals denoting their limited availability
And, both 1 Ruby deck and 1 Sapphire deck
joeblow

Unread post by joeblow »

I dropped a 2 deck pledge if anyone was looking for this. The project is ridiculous. Constant upselling.
Gareth

Unread post by Gareth »

joeblow wrote:I dropped a 2 deck pledge if anyone was looking for this. The project is ridiculous. Constant upselling.
Did the same myself. Every new version just makes the original decks look more boring. This apparent attempt at emulating Jackson just rubs the wrong way with me.
Eoghann

Unread post by Eoghann »

One could question why Jackson doesn't receive as much criticism. Is it because HIS limited items translate to virtual gold?

I've never been moved by either limited versions to be honest. I mean "a box, with a seal, wrapped in plastic, encased in a box, sealed with whatever". Kind of super overkill if you ask me.

At the very least we can leave the guy alone with his "limited" knick knacks. Everyone else is doing it. And there's obviously a market for it.

You like the design? Pledge for the deck only. You get off on paying for heavily priced Matryoshka decks? Ain't money out my pocket. :lol:
sms69x

Unread post by sms69x »

Eoghann wrote:One could question why Jackson doesn't receive as much criticism. Is it because HIS limited items translate to virtual gold?
If you go back all the way to the start, Jackson only did the first 4 tuck swaps because there was a request for it, if you recall he came here and asked for our opinion, and it was quite clear, "do it"! After the Federal series he didin't did any tuck swaps that you couldn't get separatelly on his campaigns, not like this where you have to buy the standard even if you're only interested in tuck swap editions...

And about this new Special Edition Collection, how original?! :)
(only one more deck missing on the campaign)
Eoghann

Unread post by Eoghann »

sms69x wrote: If you go back all the way to the start, Jackson only did the first 4 tuck swaps because there was a request for it.
Kind of my point. People request for these things. I don't care enough to scour the Internet for proof of someone asking CK for a billion tuck swaps in his projects. Maybe there isn't any. Nor should it matter if there is or isn't. What matters is that; original concept or not, people are willing to pay for it. Regardless of the project. He could print baby pjs and beer cozies with scarabs and SOMEONE will buy them! :lol:

Why should there be so many standards depending on the project creator?

- If Jackson, Lorenzo, Lotrek, Paul, Randy and UUSI do it..we're ALL over it.
- If a 'smaller' artist does it...he/she is vilified as a greedy, money whore.

I'm not here to defend CK or tuck swaps in general. Personally I'd rather have back those simpler times of standard decks and maybe one limited edition rather than several versions/revivals/revisions and part 2s. Or better yet: a single, all out, bells and whistles up the wazoo deck.

But those days are long gone.
joeblow

Unread post by joeblow »

I do agree, if you like it, pledge for it.

Just to explain my own rationale for dropping it though. I like the base deck and even the tuck but I'm also looking for value. The base deck has now dropped in value with all the add-ons. The strategy of limited then more limited add-ons seems to work to some degree but there is a cost that project designers need to be aware of and that's the alienation of the base supporters. I'm pretty sure I'll be able to get the base decks in the after-market for a much lower price.
nECr0MaNCeD
Cardist: Yes
Decks Owned: 677

Unread post by nECr0MaNCeD »

Eoghann wrote:
sms69x wrote: If you go back all the way to the start, Jackson only did the first 4 tuck swaps because there was a request for it.
Kind of my point. People request for these things. I don't care enough to scour the Internet for proof of someone asking CK for a billion tuck swaps in his projects. Maybe there isn't any. Nor should it matter if there is or isn't. What matters is that; original concept or not, people are willing to pay for it. Regardless of the project. He could print baby pjs and beer cozies with scarabs and SOMEONE will buy them! :lol:

Why should there be so many standards depending on the project creator?

- If Jackson, Lorenzo, Lotrek, UUSI, Paul do it..we're ALL over it.

I'm not here to defend CK or tuck swaps in general. Personally I'd rather have back those simpler times of standard decks and maybe one limited edition rather than several versions/revivals/revisions and part 2s. Or better yet, a single all out, bells and whistles up the wazoo single deck.

But those days are long gone.
Pretty much my thoughts as well.

I added on for both Ruby and Sapphire because they are beautiful decks. I skipped this latest add on because money is tight but truth be told this newest add on didn't do anything for me. It's nice and all but it just didn't turn on my "gotta have it" gene.

For me, each deck is a mini work of art that stands on it's own. That's why I pledge for them in the first place. The contention that the LE's make the originals look plain or bad just doesn't make sense. My Scarlett and Emerald Tally-Ho standard decks are every bit as beautiful as their respective LE's.

Eoghann is right. We all buy what we like and skip what we don't. Everyone is certainly entitled to their opinion but such negativity divides a community and serves no real purpose other than to justify one persons feelings or actions.
If it's too loud.... you're too old!
JacksonRobinson
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer
White Whale: Hermes 2 Deck Set
Decks Owned: 78623

Unread post by JacksonRobinson »

badpete69 wrote:Special limited decks now available

This awesome set comes with:

2 beautiful display boxes adorned in both Sapphire and Ruby colors
2 custom Crooked Kings hand numbered seals denoting their limited availability
And, both 1 Ruby deck and 1 Sapphire deck
Come on bro, atleast create your own fake 3D renderings of your boxes... ;)

vasta41
Card Oracle
Card Oracle

Unread post by vasta41 »

Holy crap! Nice catch, Jackson. You can actually see where your seal was Photoshopped.
Eoghann

Unread post by Eoghann »

Ooooooooooh!
louizz
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by louizz »

HOLY SHI*T!

Jackson, I am TERRIBLY SORRY this happened. One of our folks made this graphic yesterday evening, and clearly, I did not vet this well enough!!!!!! Jesus, this is seriously embarrassing, and I will "handle" the situation with my team.

Again, I am terribly sorry this happened and it's not acceptable. I apologize to everyone here as well.

*BOMB EXPLODES*
Lord Nikon

Unread post by Lord Nikon »

It's safe to assume the shit has hit the fan. DAMN!
Eoghann

Unread post by Eoghann »

Starting in 2016, every UC member, including staff will be required to pass an eye test.

louizz
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by louizz »

All, I'm terribly sorry and embarrassed that this happened. I don't have an excuse for this and we take full responsibility for this making it through our vetting process. I have handled the person who made this graphic, and they no longer are a Crooked Kings employee. Again, we apologize for this situation.
Eoghann

Unread post by Eoghann »

That's a bit scorched earth.

But I'm rather confused. I thought you were the graphic designer and illustrator behind the Crooked Kings projects? And Jeff took care of logistics.

Good to know CK has expanded to include more artistic talent?
snsdmonkey

Unread post by snsdmonkey »

That was quick to fire them...
Lord Nikon

Unread post by Lord Nikon »

Perhaps he fired himself? Blitzkrieg!
Eoghann wrote:That's a bit scorched earth.

But I'm rather confused. I thought you were the graphic designer and illustrator behind the Crooked Kings projects? And Jeff took care of logistics.

Good to know CK has expanded to include more artistic talent?
louizz
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by louizz »

You're mostly correct. I do all of the design work for the projects. However, we have folks on staff that will work on updates, shipping, messages, etc... in this case, I designed the elements for the box, but on a flat design, and sent them over to be put in an update graphic, which is when the issue happened. I can appreciate you saying the punishment was harsh, however as a designer, I know the amount of work that goes into things like this, and this person's actions were plan lazy. With that said though, it's still my bust, as I should have vetted that better. There are clearly marks towards the bottom of the deck graphic...
Bikefanatic
Decks Owned: 333

Unread post by Bikefanatic »

"When I like something, I buy. No matter who did it, how many were printed or how many (re)colors exist.

When I don't like something, I pass. No matter who did it, how many were printed or how many (re)colors exist."

-Lotrek

*MY PORTFOLIO52 PROFILE https://portfolio52.com/profile/26674

* MY SELLER REVIEW viewtopic.php?f=28&t=16586
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
Cardist: Yes
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

Eoghann wrote:Starting in 2016, every UC member, including staff will be required to pass an eye test.
- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki
Gareth

Unread post by Gareth »

Eoghann wrote:Why should there be so many standards depending on the project creator?
- If Jackson, Lorenzo, Lotrek, Paul, Randy and UUSI do it..we're ALL over it.
It's tough to figure out which comment to quote here, but this'll do the job.

I'm wasn't directly comparing CK to KWP or anyone else really. There are a couple of separate issues that formed my original decision;
  1. The original scarab decks are plain. The art of the faces - the court cards especially - are good, but the tucks in particular aren't interesting. If you doubt this, consider the hypothetical world if the Ruby & Sapphire decks were the original pledge decks and these were add-ons. Would you add them on? I doubt many, other than a few complete-ists, would. The $5/deck difference in price of course is a factor.
  2. The wooden box appeared to be a straight copy of a product that Jackson has popularised (not saying invented - because as JR would say, nothing is really that new). Does this mean CK or anyone else can't do a box too? I guess not, everyone is allowed to throw ideas at the wall and see what sticks, however to do a KWP look-a-like box like this - just like doing a UUSI style box, or an extremely limited hand-gilded run - just appears a bit too derivative to me.
The people you mentioned above - Jackson, Lorenzo, Lotrek, Paul, Randy and UUSI are also trying innovative things to sell their products - the wooden legacy boxes, the foiled backs, manually created tucks, luminescent tucks and glow in the dark decks among other different ideas. In some cases these new ideas fall flat too, but there does appear some attempt at progress.

None of this however matters for Louizz and the projects 1000+ supporters though, if enough people are buying I guess it doesn't matter what the people who aren't interested think. However, several KS creators have mentioned that KS gives them no indication on why people leave their projects (that text you type in only goes to KS, not the creator) - perhaps this can give a little insight for what I - and possibly others - are thinking.