An ambitious new Bike series

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
RSLancastr
Collector: Yes
Decks Owned: 2500

An ambitious new Bike series

Unread post by RSLancastr »

Okay, file this under "missed opportunities":

Ever since I have collected playing cards, I have thought of decks that could be created based on various things I would see.

Starting in March of this year, my wife and I undertook a read-through of the entire Bible.

We used a program called "The Bible in 90 Days (Cover-to-cover in eleven pages each day)"

It made accomplishing something we had both intended to do for years actually doable. Every day we read that days pages aloud - I read the odd-numbered pages and she read the even-numbered ones.

Ninety days later, we had done it!

At a few points, I was reminded of one of my favorite decks of cards, "Jacob's Bible Cards", in which the courts depict various persons from the Bible, and I thought it might be cool for someone to create a series of decks based on characters and situations in the Bible.

Such a thing would require far more artistic abilities than I have, and so I dropped the idea.

Just a couple of days ago I saw over at BMPokerworld:

Bicycle Genesis Playing Cards

http://www.bmpokerworld.com/Bicycle-Gen ... -Cards.php

Looks like the first in an ambitious series of decks.

If they do one for each book of the Bible, there would be:

The Old Testament

1. Genesis
2. Exodus
3. Leviticus
4. Numbers
5. Deuteronomy
6. Joshua
7. Judges
8. Ruth
9. 1 Samuel
10. 2 Samuel
11. 1 Kings
12. 2 Kings
13. 1 Chronicles
14. 2 Chronicles
15. Ezra
16. Nehemiah
17. Esther
18. Job
29. Psalms
20. Proverbs
21. Ecclesiastes
22. Song of Solomon
23. Isaiah
24. Jeremiah
25. Lamentations
26. Ezekiel
27. Daniel
28. Hosea
29. Joel
30. Amos
31. Obadiah
32. Jonah
33. Micah
34. Nahum
35. Habakkuk
36. Zephaniah
37. Haggai
38. Zechariah
39. Malachi

The New Testament
1. Matthew
2. Mark
3. Luke
4. John
5. Acts (of the Apostles)
6. Romans
7. 1 Corinthians
8. 2 Corinthians
9. Galatians
10. Ephesians
11. Philippians
12. Colossians
13. 1 Thessalonians
14. 2 Thessalonians
15. 1 Timothy
16. 2 Timothy
17. Titus
18. Philemon
19. Hebrews
20. James
21. 1 Peter
22. 2 Peter
23. 1 John
24. 2 John
25. 3 John
26. Jude
27. Revelation

Whew!
-Marcel Marceau
MJF

Re: An ambitious new Bike series

Unread post by MJF »

I really hope this is just a Genesis deck... I don't have the patience for all the other books. ;)
RSLancastr

MJF wrote:I really hope this is just a Genesis deck... I don't have the patience for all the other books. ;)
The description at BMPW seems to suggest it will be more than the one deck:
The Genesis playing card deck is inspired by the first book of the bible. The first in a new line of the best story ever told.
Of course, whatever the plan/hope is, how many they end up making will depend on how well the first ones sell.

I don't hold out much hope that they will publish very many in the series, since they don't have a good track record in completing even fairly short series. For example..

The "Vintage Edition" series was reportedly going to be nine decks, but was stopped afterf\ six were published (numbers 1, 2, 3, 5 6 and 7!).

The "Limited Edition" series was reporfted to be a ten-deck series, but only two have been published so far.
-Marcel Marceau
badpete69
Player: Yes
Decks Owned: 1500

Unread post by badpete69 »

RS

The genesis deck was on Kickstarter this summer at
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/603 ... ref=search

Noel Quiles is the creator same guy that is doing the current Allure Kickstarter project

This project funded at the last minute but then a large pledge did not come through and the project was put on hold. Everyone got refunded (most everyone) and he ended selling his decks through another website and by email. I do not think he had other decks planned in the series but who knows in the end

Almost forgot Here are the UC threads on this

http://unitedcardists.com/viewtopic.php ... esis#p1969

http://unitedcardists.com/viewtopic.php ... it=genesis
Aaron

Unread post by Aaron »

I really hope there are not 56 bible decks made it would extrememly over saturate the market.
jmrock

Unread post by jmrock »

I think it's fair to say that this will be a one shot (hopefully)... I believe it was a failed KS campaign that was re-listed, or some such foolishness... Not a fan at all of this deck, but how could you not love the Bible... Stories for days... Anyways, the Jacob's bible cards are more of what you need in your life and they're being printed as new right now... you can also pick up the vintage cards for a reasonable price... These are sick cards... Great backs and custom faces straight out of the promised land...

NEW
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Two-NEW-decks-J ... 564f965ac0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

VINTAGE
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SEALED-ORIGINAL ... 5ae3ec36e9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RSLancastr

jmrock wrote:Anyways, the Jacob's bible cards are more of what you need in your life and they're being printed as new right now... you can also pick up the vintage cards for a reasonable price... These are sick cards... Great backs and custom faces straight out of the promised land...
I have three or four of these, bought some 12-15 years ago at around $10-$20 each.

But my favorite deck in my entire collection is the direct ancestor of the "Jacob's Bible" cards, the "Palestine Play-cards" deck, by the same artist (Ze'ev Raban of the Bezalel School of Art & Design)

It has single-ended versions of the same courts, and used (very) non-standard suits: Menorahs, Stars of David, Leaves and an odd-looking suit which was described in reference books a a "red spade". (It looked like a red spade topped with a crown).

Through a cool coincidence, I was the person who determined that this was actually a stylized pomegranate! Unknown to me at the time, pomegranates are prominent in Judaic art, and carvings of them are mentioned in the Old Testament as decorating the Lord's Temple, with embroidered pomegranates embellishing the hems of the garments worn by the Temple Priests!

Figuring out what this suit was was my one little contribution to playing card history/knowledge.

I bought my copy for $200 in 1999 or so, and was immediately offered $1,000 for it (which I declined).
-Marcel Marceau