"REPEATING COURTS"?

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
RSLancastr
Collector: Yes
Decks Owned: 2500

"REPEATING COURTS"?

Unread post by RSLancastr »

Since re-entering the hobby of collecting plaqying cards, after taking a (health-related) sabbatical from it for a few years, I've noticed that the world of collectible custom decks has caused many changes in the hobby, including some of its nomenclature.

For example, when the Jacks, Queens and Kings of a deck were different from those in a standard deck, this was referred to as the deck having "non-standard courts".

Now, this is usually referred to as the deck having "custom courts".

So I am asking if there is a new term for the following:

When all four courts are identical (other than their suit's identifying pip in the corner and in the indices), the deck was said to have "repeating courts".

Is this still what this is called?

To be clearer: all four of the Kings in such a deck look the same (other than the pips), all four of the Queens the same (other trhan the pips) and all four of the Jacks the same (other than the pips). Sometimes such a deck will have two different Jack images, one image for the one-eyed jacks (hearts & spades), another for the two-eyed jacks (clubs & diamonds).

I don't know if these decks reflect a laziness on the part of the artist/designer, or a cheapness on the part of the publisher (I suspect the latter), but whatever the reason, it's a cheap-**** way to go.

Again, is there a term for this nowadays?
-Marcel Marceau
Sharpie

Re: "REPEATING COURTS"?

Unread post by Sharpie »

RSLancastr wrote:Sometimes such a deck will have two different Jack images, one image for the one-eyed jacks (hearts & spades), another for the two-eyed jacks (clubs & diamonds).
In this case wouldn't the king of diamonds also be in profile? He is a standard "one eye".

I agree it is a cheap*** way to go and often annoys me when I find that a deck has gone this route.

I don't know about terms. I think "non-standard" and "custom" can be interchangeable.

S
No matter where you go... there you are :|
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
Cardist: Yes
Player: Yes
Magician: Yes
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

Sharpie wrote: I don't know about terms. I think "non-standard" and "custom" can be interchangeable.
I would say decks like the Blue Crown ones that use Arrco faces have "non-standard" courts, while "custom" courts are completely new and designed specifically for a single deck or series.
- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki
RSLancastr

Sharpie wrote:In this case wouldn't the king of diamonds also be in profile? He is a standard "one eye".
Yes, but I was running out of time composing my post and so did not mention it.
I agree it is a cheap*** way to go and often annoys me when I find that a deck has gone this route.

I don't know about terms. I think "non-standard" and "custom" can be interchangeable.

S
While some places (such as bmpokerworld deck descriptions) use "custom" to simply mean "different from this publisher/manufacturer's standard", I think that while all custom courts are non-standard, not all non-standard courts are truly custom (some merely being borrowed from elsewhere, as in Magicfingerz' example.
-Marcel Marceau
BMPokerworld

Unread post by BMPokerworld »

RSLancastr wrote:
Sharpie wrote:In this case wouldn't the king of diamonds also be in profile? He is a standard "one eye".
Yes, but I was running out of time composing my post and so did not mention it.

S
While some places (such as bmpokerworld deck descriptions) use "custom" to simply mean "different from this publisher/manufacturer's standard", I think that while all custom courts are non-standard, not all non-standard courts are truly custom (some merely being borrowed from elsewhere, as in Magicfingerz' example.

I use the word "custom" to describe any deck which someone has USPCC create for them that is not part of USPCC's running line. That would definitely make it a custom deck, in my opinion.

Thanks!
RSLancastr

[quote="BMPokerworld I use the word "custom" to describe any deck which someone has USPCC create for them that is not part of USPCC's running line. That would definitely make it a custom deck, in my opinion.[/quote]

Fair enough, but we were (I was, anyway) talking specifically about what makes a deck's courts custom.

What are your criteria for that?
-Marcel Marceau
BMPokerworld

Unread post by BMPokerworld »

RSLancastr wrote:[quote="BMPokerworld I use the word "custom" to describe any deck which someone has USPCC create for them that is not part of USPCC's running line. That would definitely make it a custom deck, in my opinion.
Fair enough, but we were (I was, anyway) talking specifically about what makes a deck's courts custom.

What are your criteria for that?[/quote]

We are talking about different things. The definition of a custom deck to me, is as I described above. Clearly what makes a decks court custom, is when the artwork differs from a standard running line bicycle deck.

Thanks!
alric
Cardist: Yes
Player: Yes

Unread post by alric »

But I don't consider a simple re-coloring of standard USPC court cards to be custom (ala T11). There has to be an actual artistic or stylistic modification of the court cards.
RSLancastr

alric wrote:But I don't consider a simple re-coloring of standard USPC court cards to be custom (ala T11). There has to be an actual artistic or stylistic modification of the court cards.
Agreed, although that's never kept me from picking up any of the color-faced Bikes, f'rinstance.
-Marcel Marceau
RSLancastr

BMPokerworld wrote:Wee are talking about different things. The definition of a custom deck to me, as I described above. Clearly what makes a decks court custom, is when the artwork differs from a standard running line bicycle deck.
...which is pretty much what I said your criteria are, several posts back:
RSLancastr wrote:While some places (such as bmpokerworld deck descriptions) use "custom" to simply mean "different from this publisher/manufacturer's standard"
-Marcel Marceau