GROTESK MACABRE

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
Lotrek
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Re: GROTESK MACABRE - Fulfillment Underway BLACK GOLD now Li

Unread post by Lotrek »

That damned "Guaranteed" word... A voice told me: "don't write it" but I didn't pay attention.
This project is really Macabre and I'll update you tomorrow about it, as I want you to see pictures or else you may think I'm joking...
"Bite more than you can chew and then chew it"

----------------------------------------------------------
fb: https://www.facebook.com/oathplayingcards/
twitter:@OathPCC
Lotrek
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Lotrek »

Bikefanatic wrote:
On a side note, anyone been to Santorini, Greece? Lotrek I don't know if you're there but I wonder why people like that part of Greece the most? Guess I'll find out soon.
Santorini offers a sea view from Oia and Fira that is just unreal. Myconos has incredible beaches and this was I guess the initial reason but now it's a synonym for wild partying. Personally I don't like this island at all. I'm a quiet person and prefer being in my grotesk cave :lol: :lol: :lol: But if you like extravagant summer parties, this is the place for you.

Bikefanatic
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Decks Owned: 333

Unread post by Bikefanatic »

Lotrek wrote:
Bikefanatic wrote:
On a side note, anyone been to Santorini, Greece? Lotrek I don't know if you're there but I wonder why people like that part of Greece the most? Guess I'll find out soon.
Santorini offers a sea view from Oia and Fira that is just unreal. Myconos has incredible beaches and this was I guess the initial reason but now it's a synonym for wild partying. Personally I don't like this island at all. I'm a quiet person and prefer being in my grotesk cave :lol: :lol: :lol: But if you like extravagant summer parties, this is the place for you.
I don't party here in the US but in other countries I do. The squad wants to go to Santorini in July or August to visit the Red Beach, Emporio village and some other places. I hope it isn't a rainy season.

Looking forward to see progression of cards later.
"When I like something, I buy. No matter who did it, how many were printed or how many (re)colors exist.

When I don't like something, I pass. No matter who did it, how many were printed or how many (re)colors exist."

-Lotrek

*MY PORTFOLIO52 PROFILE https://portfolio52.com/profile/26674

* MY SELLER REVIEW viewtopic.php?f=28&t=16586
JuFiN
White Whale: Delirium Signature
Decks Owned: 1000

Re: GROTESK MACABRE

Unread post by JuFiN »

So.... about them pictures we wont believe?
Thedissident001

Unread post by Thedissident001 »

Yes what about those pictures. Seriously hate to harp on the subject but even more
seriously sick of backers pleas for updates being ignored!
JuFiN

Unread post by JuFiN »

He did post an update on Kickstarter in fairness.
Thedissident001

Last Kickstarter update was on 30th Jan promising to send decks by 20th Feb unless I've missed something. Here we are a full month later...
JuFiN

Unread post by JuFiN »

He had an update on the black gold edition kickstarter March 12th, with pictures. I believe that both campaigns are shipping together so the update should be relevant to both.

it read:

"Hi all,

First, I'd like you to have a look at the Silver Edition decks on my bench, so that you know that these decks really EXIST. I have so many times said that there is a problem and some people may wonder whether I have printed the deck or not! :-)

But I made a big mistake: In my previous update I said that "I can guarantee" that the decks will be ready in a few days. I had all sheets at home, only waiting for a few to complete the decks and begin assembling. The problem is that until then, I hadn't checked all sheets. I didn't feel I needed to do so, as the workshop I used has a very good reputation and all sheets I had seen during production were great. But when I started assembling, I found out that many of the cards (in fact 15) from the Silver Edition, have serious problems.

To watch a video showing some of the useless cards,

The workshop admitted responsibility and they said they'll cover the cost of reprinting and foiling those 15 cards. They can only do it after the next week.

No need to say how sorry I am about this. Although I'm not responsible for the poor foiling, the fact that I promised something without being 1000% certain is entirely my fault. Grotesk Macabre Gold has become a horror movie...

Thankfully, the Gold and Inferno editions are just fine! I will prepare these decks while the workshop is reprinting, so that when the Silver edition is completed I'll have most of the decks ready.

Really sorry,

Lotrek"
Thedissident001

Apologies, it may be an idea for him to copy post these updates to Grotesk Macabre kickstarter page, as this is where most backers had signed up to Black Mass from. Anyone that didn't back both is wondering what progress is as they cant see this update.
JuFiN

Unread post by JuFiN »

Completely agree, definitely a mistake on his part.
vasta41
Card Oracle
Card Oracle

Unread post by vasta41 »

Per latest KS update:
Hi dear all,
A few days ago, after getting all the completed sheets in my hands I realized why I've been delaying so much, apart from the production issues of course. In fact I didn't want to send these decks. I'm not really pleased with the outcome.
From the beginning it didn’t go as planned. As you remember there was this silly 7 of Spades mistake, then it was the gold foil that was poorly stamped on some cards, then I discovered the same problem with some silver cards and eventually the multiple supplementary prints in various ways do not actually match the rest of the cards. This happens with both Black Mass and Black Gold editions.
The enormous cost of a possible reprint didn't let me accept the fact that instead of doing additional prints here and there, I had to draw a line and reprint the whole stuff.
You’ve been waiting for so long. The metallic inks are so impressive against the black stock but those flaws are holding the decks from being truly gorgeous. Some people have pledged (actually invested) big money, some others pledged just for 1 or 2 decks but all are expressing their anticipation to owning a deck they’ll be proud of. This is exactly what I'm determined to deliver, no matter what.
So, I took the painful decision to reprint everything from scratch.
The actual time needed to print all these decks is not more than 15 days from the moment I’ll go to the printer. After all these print runs, I have fixed every little issue and also I have concluded to how this should had been done from the beginning. This secures that we won’t have any major problems. Due to the cost of the reprint I have to offer some of the existing decks at a low price to anyone who wants to have a sample or who just wants to chip in. Details will be announced soon.
The new print will have a few small but distinct differences from the first –mainly a more intricate embellishment under the pips on the face cards- so that everything will be clear to all.

>>>>>List of issues on each edition in the current print<<<<<<
Below are the issues regarding only the Black Mass decks.For the black gold edition, I've posted an update in the Black Gold campaign here.
1) Black Mass edition: Both decks have a rather strong varnish smell. After a whole year, it's still there.
2) Black Mass Silver edition: No other problems, generally okay.

------------ INVERTED INFERNO -----------
To help funding the reprint I will also launch a 5-day KS on Friday May 5th with a very impressive version of the deck: INVERTED INFERNO. This deck will be printed on black stock, with red foil for the back and red/silver metallic ink for the faces. I will produce only as many decks as will be sold during the campaign.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know that this announcement for the extra waiting may disappoint some but I really hope you understand that I cannot send decks which are not at the highest standard I can offer. More than anything, I’m asking for some more patience from your side so as I can work on this and get it done right this time. From the day I go to the printer, I’ll be posting daily updates in my fb page so you can track the progress. I’m sure that at the end, we all won’t regret it.
The obstacles that appeared made me hate this deck. Help me love it again!
Thank you,
Lotrek

P.S.:Some time ago I stopped logging in and answering to messages, as I really didn't know what to say. I'm sorry if this was frustrating for some people. It was for me, too.
RichK
Decks Owned: 250

Unread post by RichK »

Update on KS Macabre decks, not BLACK MASS decks:
Black Gold Edition: Generally okay but in many decks the supplementary cards have a different gloss and less deep air-pocket finish, too. Many decks are acceptable, though.

Black Silver Edition: The same problem with gloss and air-pocket depth, plus that many of the cards were apparently stamped with a different quality of foil, leaving a lot of silver powder on the fingers, while other cards don't:

Bronze Edition: The same silver powder issue as above.

INFERNO Edition: No issues in general, apart from the fact that the metallic gold ink is a bit dark and doesn't have the desired contrast against the red stock.This will be fixed with the use of a different tone gold and a "heavier" printing.
Same new KS INVERTED INFERNO project info to get some, much needed I'm sure, cash to reprint 5 decks plus INVERTED. I hope for Lotrek's sake and sanity this will be the last printing of these.
Move on, nothing to see here.
Lotrek
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Lotrek »

L1550160 lo.JPG
L1550160 lo.JPG (374.66 KiB) Viewed 2032 times

sms69x
Magician: Yes
Decks Owned: 700

Unread post by sms69x »

So Inferno Inverted is finished and ready to ship?
Lotrek
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Lotrek »

sms69x wrote:So Inferno Inverted is finished and ready to ship?
No, not at all. However, these are not renderings. They're real cards with red foil I did as a test. I'm going to the printer as soon as the campaign is over and I expect to have them ready in late May. This is the normal time needed for these decks to be produced. I had a horrible collaboration with a workshop that does indeed very good job but apparently not at this level. For example they were doing some sheets and then they were stopping for days to do other works! The new print will be executed by the workshop that did the Golden Oath decks -they're excellent both in result and communication.

Lotrek
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Lotrek »

ks1.jpg
Yes, Victor I know. I haven't finished the previous! :lol:

pablo19
Decks Owned: 0

Unread post by pablo19 »

I think I will have the full collection of Grotesk macabre... how should I display all of these decks? :shock:
shaitani
Cardist: Yes
White Whale: Artistic Spring

Unread post by shaitani »

That red foil on black tuck is looking quite good. And looks like you've got a strong start with about 30 backers and $2700 in 10 minutes.
Lotrek
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Lotrek »

shaitani wrote:That red foil on black tuck is looking quite good.
Thank you shaitani!
The tuck will be much much better in real life. For some reason the red against black gets blurry when I upload it, while it's sharp when I work it. I guess it's the file type? I upload Jpeg files.
Anyone familiar with that issue?

pablo19

Unread post by pablo19 »

While I realize that this may go against gathering a lot of money for a reprint, it would have been reasonable, in my opinion, to allocate early bird prices to backers who have been waiting for months on end for the rest of the series to arrive.
I think it was also discussed for the black mass, that since decks would be shipped together with black gold we would get the shipping refunded that we paid for twice. This should also be the case for these decks.
As for this deck, for me if falls short of the original Inferno version and I do feel like I am mostly getting it to complete the series, because, quite frankly, it's just another recolour...
Did not mean to sound harsh, but I did feel like being open about my thoughts on this one now.

P.S: Daily fb updates from the time you go to the printer, is that meant for the inverted inferno decks or all others? and... when will you go to the printer?
Lotrek
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Lotrek »

The daily updates will be on all editions, not only Inverted Inferno. I'm going to the printer next Monday, after the end of the campaign when I'll know the exact number of decks I'll have to print.
As for the shipping costs, this is really messy now. I'm up to something that will satisfy all of you ;)

Recolor? We're getting very close to stretch goal #2. Wait and see.

RichK

Unread post by RichK »

Nice update Lotrek. If you didn't make such incredible, boundary pushing decks you might not see such support. Much success on the hopefully the final time you print the 6 BLACK ... decks!
Cardians
White Whale: Anything Lotrek makes....

Unread post by Cardians »

I'm finding it a bit odd that Lotrek needs to run another short-campaign to help support delivery of previous out-standing decks that he's already recouped on.

Second, I also find it odd that Mike Ratledge is the verified owner to Half Moon Productions simply to keep funds in the US currency instead of the Greece currency in-which Lotrek is from and producing the decks.

Lastly, why is this deck for $40 when Grostek Black gold was $47 and the add-on price for a Inferno was $60? At this price point (which is greatly profitable to Lotrek) it seems to me that the plates are already produced from his previous campaign and will be used for the "inverted inferno" deck. Same design, same tuck. If am wrong here, please explain. I know Lotrek just released an update stating the AoS will be foiled on both sides, yippy!
RichK

Unread post by RichK »

Cardians wrote:I'm finding it a bit odd that Lotrek needs to run another short-campaign to help support delivery of previous out-standing decks that he's already recouped on.

Second, I also find it odd that Mike Ratledge is the verified owner to Half Moon Productions simply to keep funds in the US currency instead of the Greece currency in-which Lotrek is from and producing the decks.

Lastly, why is this deck for $40 when Grostek Black gold was $47 and the add-on price for a Inferno was $60? At this price point (which is greatly profitable to Lotrek) it seems to me that the plates are already produced from his previous campaign and will be used for the "inverted inferno" deck. Same design, same tuck. If am wrong here, please explain. I know Lotrek just released an update stating the AoS will be foiled on both sides, yippy!
This isn't to help ship out-standing decks but to reprint them all, 6 decks. BLACK MASS Silver + Gold, GROTESK MACABRE Gold, Silver, Inferno, and Bronze. Add to the printing of INVERTED INFERNO that's 7 decks which he doesn't have the money to do due to the many reprints of each deck because of errors, not all of his fault. He'll be, I'm sure, putting every penny into getting the decks printed.

I'm guessing Mike is involved so there might be a better exchange rate in currency. Plus, it's easier to see pledge amounts in US dollars since a good percentage of backers are in US.

Yes the plates are done but the tuck will have a velvet like interior, not foil. You can see it as price gouging but think of it as getting your other decks finally printed. People have faith in Lotrek to keep pushing the edge, look at his OATH all foil deck, it's beyond words. At the time BLACK MASS was cutting edge and INFERNO another one of a kind deck. I'm sure he has to make sure the plates are in excellent condition for so many decks and personally oversee each step of which there are at least a possible 12. I asked him in a PM how many steps and he said 12 vendors. Trying to keep them all accountable for their work must be a nightmare yet he will do it this time so one doesn't do something without him there as quality control.

Yes I sound like a Lotrek apologist but he wants this disaster done with. 166 other people don't have a problem with a $40 limited number deck made by him because they, and I, know it will be more than worth it.

I hope Lotrek will give you better answers than I did if I got anything wrong.
Lotrek
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Lotrek »

@ Cardians: Being from Greece, I cannot run a kickstarter as it's available to certain countries only. I cannot really understand why is it so important who's the verified owner of the account.

As Rich said, I need funds to reprint ALL editions, not just to send stuff I have.

The plates will be made again. Printing plates will be slightly different and are anyway scrapped after the print as they get oxidized.
Foiling plates will be done again too, as they've been used a lot for the supplementary prints and are a bit worn out. But most importantly, I'm using a different workshop with a different foiling press and they need different plates anyway.

Bruno

Unread post by Bruno »

Above, you will learn how to spell chihuahua.
Not a hound of great and ironic proportions, nor one of satire either ....
Simply a snipey snapping little nipping attention seek from something that knows not what solid effort and absolute sincerity will produce, ever.
Says more about its own fake and fraudulent persona than that which it infers of its peers.
Sincerity is not its strong suit.
O, I beg of you your comprehensions,
yet laugh at your contempts ....
my only competition is with myselves.

But Lèse-majesté, especially >Normans, natch.

Is jarnstill the Ars of the Hors Nebulous ?
Neigh .... the Effluxor of the Omniverse ??
4.of.Clubs

Unread post by 4.of.Clubs »

Gonna be the devil's advocate here. What happens if the new inferno deck also run into issues?
----------> Check out the decks I have for sale! <----------
----------> Also check out my Trade List and Wish List, maybe we can make a deal! <----------
vasta41
Card Oracle
Card Oracle

Unread post by vasta41 »

4.of.Clubs wrote:Gonna be the devil's advocate here. What happens if the new inferno deck also run into issues?
Then, sorry to say, it will be on par with the rest of Lotrek's projects. But you will eventually get it and it will blow your mind when you do!
RichK

Unread post by RichK »

Lotrek wrote:The plates will be made again. Printing plates will be slightly different and are anyway scrapped after the print as they get oxidized.
Foiling plates will be done again too, as they've been used a lot for the supplementary prints and are a bit worn out. But most importantly, I'm using a different workshop with a different foiling press and they need different plates anyway.
Sell the plates! I'd hate to think of shipping costs but think of a Lotrek collector's dream buy. Unless you can recycle them there for decent money.

Thanks for adding to my answer to @Cardigans. :)
pablo19

Re: GROTESK MACABRE (wap)

Unread post by pablo19 »

ANOTHER DECK!?!?!? Sorry Lotrek, I can't get excited about this anymore. I wanted to have a complete set of the series, but its become too many decks and overall very expensive. I have to rethink this...