GROTESK MACABRE

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
Lotrek
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Re: GROTESK MACABRE

Unread post by Lotrek »

The daily updates will be on all editions, not only Inverted Inferno. I'm going to the printer next Monday, after the end of the campaign when I'll know the exact number of decks I'll have to print.
As for the shipping costs, this is really messy now. I'm up to something that will satisfy all of you ;)

Recolor? We're getting very close to stretch goal #2. Wait and see.
"Bite more than you can chew and then chew it"

----------------------------------------------------------
fb: https://www.facebook.com/oathplayingcards/
twitter:@OathPCC
RichK
Collector: Yes
Decks Owned: 250

Unread post by RichK »

Nice update Lotrek. If you didn't make such incredible, boundary pushing decks you might not see such support. Much success on the hopefully the final time you print the 6 BLACK ... decks!
Move on, nothing to see here.
Cardians
White Whale: Anything Lotrek makes....

Unread post by Cardians »

I'm finding it a bit odd that Lotrek needs to run another short-campaign to help support delivery of previous out-standing decks that he's already recouped on.

Second, I also find it odd that Mike Ratledge is the verified owner to Half Moon Productions simply to keep funds in the US currency instead of the Greece currency in-which Lotrek is from and producing the decks.

Lastly, why is this deck for $40 when Grostek Black gold was $47 and the add-on price for a Inferno was $60? At this price point (which is greatly profitable to Lotrek) it seems to me that the plates are already produced from his previous campaign and will be used for the "inverted inferno" deck. Same design, same tuck. If am wrong here, please explain. I know Lotrek just released an update stating the AoS will be foiled on both sides, yippy!
RichK

Unread post by RichK »

Cardians wrote:I'm finding it a bit odd that Lotrek needs to run another short-campaign to help support delivery of previous out-standing decks that he's already recouped on.

Second, I also find it odd that Mike Ratledge is the verified owner to Half Moon Productions simply to keep funds in the US currency instead of the Greece currency in-which Lotrek is from and producing the decks.

Lastly, why is this deck for $40 when Grostek Black gold was $47 and the add-on price for a Inferno was $60? At this price point (which is greatly profitable to Lotrek) it seems to me that the plates are already produced from his previous campaign and will be used for the "inverted inferno" deck. Same design, same tuck. If am wrong here, please explain. I know Lotrek just released an update stating the AoS will be foiled on both sides, yippy!
This isn't to help ship out-standing decks but to reprint them all, 6 decks. BLACK MASS Silver + Gold, GROTESK MACABRE Gold, Silver, Inferno, and Bronze. Add to the printing of INVERTED INFERNO that's 7 decks which he doesn't have the money to do due to the many reprints of each deck because of errors, not all of his fault. He'll be, I'm sure, putting every penny into getting the decks printed.

I'm guessing Mike is involved so there might be a better exchange rate in currency. Plus, it's easier to see pledge amounts in US dollars since a good percentage of backers are in US.

Yes the plates are done but the tuck will have a velvet like interior, not foil. You can see it as price gouging but think of it as getting your other decks finally printed. People have faith in Lotrek to keep pushing the edge, look at his OATH all foil deck, it's beyond words. At the time BLACK MASS was cutting edge and INFERNO another one of a kind deck. I'm sure he has to make sure the plates are in excellent condition for so many decks and personally oversee each step of which there are at least a possible 12. I asked him in a PM how many steps and he said 12 vendors. Trying to keep them all accountable for their work must be a nightmare yet he will do it this time so one doesn't do something without him there as quality control.

Yes I sound like a Lotrek apologist but he wants this disaster done with. 166 other people don't have a problem with a $40 limited number deck made by him because they, and I, know it will be more than worth it.

I hope Lotrek will give you better answers than I did if I got anything wrong.
Lotrek
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Lotrek »

@ Cardians: Being from Greece, I cannot run a kickstarter as it's available to certain countries only. I cannot really understand why is it so important who's the verified owner of the account.

As Rich said, I need funds to reprint ALL editions, not just to send stuff I have.

The plates will be made again. Printing plates will be slightly different and are anyway scrapped after the print as they get oxidized.
Foiling plates will be done again too, as they've been used a lot for the supplementary prints and are a bit worn out. But most importantly, I'm using a different workshop with a different foiling press and they need different plates anyway.

Bruno
Decks Owned: 0

Unread post by Bruno »

Above, you will learn how to spell chihuahua.
Not a hound of great and ironic proportions, nor one of satire either ....
Simply a snipey snapping little nipping attention seek from something that knows not what solid effort and absolute sincerity will produce, ever.
Says more about its own fake and fraudulent persona than that which it infers of its peers.
Sincerity is not its strong suit.
O, I beg of you your comprehensions,
yet laugh at your contempts ....
my only competition is with myselves.

But Lèse-majesté, especially >Normans, natch.

Is jarnstill the Ars of the Hors Nebulous ?
Neigh .... the Effluxor of the Omniverse ??
4.of.Clubs
Player: Yes

Unread post by 4.of.Clubs »

Gonna be the devil's advocate here. What happens if the new inferno deck also run into issues?
----------> Check out the decks I have for sale! <----------
----------> Also check out my Trade List and Wish List, maybe we can make a deal! <----------
vasta41
Card Oracle
Card Oracle

Unread post by vasta41 »

4.of.Clubs wrote:Gonna be the devil's advocate here. What happens if the new inferno deck also run into issues?
Then, sorry to say, it will be on par with the rest of Lotrek's projects. But you will eventually get it and it will blow your mind when you do!
RichK

Unread post by RichK »

Lotrek wrote:The plates will be made again. Printing plates will be slightly different and are anyway scrapped after the print as they get oxidized.
Foiling plates will be done again too, as they've been used a lot for the supplementary prints and are a bit worn out. But most importantly, I'm using a different workshop with a different foiling press and they need different plates anyway.
Sell the plates! I'd hate to think of shipping costs but think of a Lotrek collector's dream buy. Unless you can recycle them there for decent money.

Thanks for adding to my answer to @Cardigans. :)
pablo19

Re: GROTESK MACABRE (wap)

Unread post by pablo19 »

ANOTHER DECK!?!?!? Sorry Lotrek, I can't get excited about this anymore. I wanted to have a complete set of the series, but its become too many decks and overall very expensive. I have to rethink this...
sms69x
Magician: Yes
Decks Owned: 700

Unread post by sms69x »

pablo19 wrote:ANOTHER DECK!?!?!? Sorry Lotrek, I can't get excited about this anymore. I wanted to have a complete set of the series, but its become too many decks and overall very expensive. I have to rethink this...
Unfortunatelly I have to agree. This is becaming completetly insane. This is just a version after another with the trial and test editions in the middle... I guess this is a nice business model for you... but it certenly isn't for your costumers...
Also the prices for the TEST edition, the values asked, are far from being low... For decks that you were unwilling to send to people because they were not up to the quality you want, asking $15 (black mass) and $25 (black mass gold/silver and inferno) is a big stretch.. But I wish all the luck in selling them, unfortunately I wont be one of the people who will buy them... I was expectiing a price between $10 - $15 but at the price range asked is way out of my budget right now...
vasta41
Card Oracle
Card Oracle

Unread post by vasta41 »

sms69x wrote:
pablo19 wrote:ANOTHER DECK!?!?!? Sorry Lotrek, I can't get excited about this anymore. I wanted to have a complete set of the series, but its become too many decks and overall very expensive. I have to rethink this...
Unfortunatelly I have to agree. This is becaming completetly insane. This is just a version after another with the trial and test editions in the middle... I guess this is a nice business model for you... but it certenly isn't for your costumers...
Also the prices for the TEST edition, the values asked, are far from being low... For decks that you were unwilling to send to people because they were not up to the quality you want, asking $15 (black mass) and $25 (black mass gold/silver and inferno) is a big stretch.. But I wish all the luck in selling them, unfortunately I wont be one of the people who will buy them... I was expectiing a price between $10 - $15 but at the price range asked is way out of my budget right now...
I'm lucky enough not to have Pokemon syndrome with Lotrek's decks. Hell, even if I did want to catch them all I couldn't afford it. But that attitude allows me the luxury to pick and chose between all his different "versions" and buy the one I want. I don't fault Lotrek for selling all his "mistake" or "trial" versions because I can only imagine how expensive his line of work is. So if he has an audience (which he clearly does) then why not try to offset some of his costs? Again, it's easy for me to say this because I'm not obsessed with every one of his decks. But I appreciate the fact that he always does what he can to deliver in the end.
pablo19

Unread post by pablo19 »

vasta41 wrote: I'm lucky enough not to have Pokemon syndrome with Lotrek's decks. Hell, even if I did want to catch them all I couldn't afford it. But that attitude allows me the luxury to pick and chose between all his different "versions" and buy the one I want. I don't fault Lotrek for selling all his "mistake" or "trial" versions because I can only imagine how expensive his line of work is. So if he has an audience (which he clearly does) then why not try to offset some of his costs? Again, it's easy for me to say this because I'm not obsessed with every one of his decks. But I appreciate the fact that he always does what he can to deliver in the end.
Let's call it Lotrekmon syndrome. :lol:
But all kidding aside all the limited edition claims would have needed a disclaimer of "+50 cheaper trial decks of each that may become available later", of course Lotrek did not know he would have to add this at the time, but he is putting out a cheaper version of a very similar deck at a drastically lower price point after you've shelled out a premium for the immaculate version that you have to wait a lot longer for.
He clearly has an audience, and we are part of it that is why it's important to make our concerns heard. (I find this argument quite weak when people use it for Jackson Robinson as well, the fact that the man has an audience does not mean he should neglect listening any part of it. That is the way to gradually keep losing the most vocal and loyal fans of your stuff who are usually the ones that try to make themselves heard as well).

"the luxury to pick and chose between all his different "versions" and buy the one I want"
How exactly does this apply to Lotreks work? Say you liked Black mass and you backed for a deck, then comes along Black gold and you have to refund black mass to get black gold, and then the inferno inverted edition comes along, same story. And once you've gone through all decks in a timeline you realize the one you really wanted was the bronze edition which is sold out.

Final thoughts:
- I think Lotrek has often gotten away with delays because he has made up for them with some extras, not just a promise that the finished deck will be perfect; a perfect deck is what we backed for it is not an extra.
-I think we would all benefit from knowing how many different editions of a deck will come out, so we have more of a "luxury to pick and chose". Especially when cheaper alternatives will come around (I find this should have also been made clear by Mike in the Dondorf set).
-I just want to get the Hyeronimus deck... please stop with the Grotesk macabre series :|
Lotrek
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Lotrek »

Okay, a quick reply to the latest questions and remarks.

First, the "test" decks I'm offering are selected so as to be fine, without major issues. Among the about 260 decks from each edition, there are certainly 50 that are good. Especially Inferno is fine.
I'm offering them at half the original price despite the fact that they're so few. There are people who WANT to have these versions, too. Collectors are crazy, you know! :lol:
Besides, after looking at the first print for ages, I'm making some changes to the design, further improving it. Like as if I had printed the most expensive proofs ever! So the "test" decks are there for the sake of history of this edition.

As for the number of decks that are released, I wish I knew from the beginning. My mind is always spinning around new ideas, I really can't help it and some of my ideas have come after seeing misprints in my printer's! You can find gems in the garbage if you know how to look at them.

@Pablo: Macabre is over. Hieronymus is on its way. I've been craving to finish my pending stuff to devote myself to Hieronymus... ;)

Cbkimble
Decks Owned: 363

Unread post by Cbkimble »

I would really like a set of these but I just can't justify it at the moment.
chach
White Whale: Vietnam Era Secret Weapon

Unread post by chach »

Cbkimble wrote:I would really like a set of these but I just can't justify it at the moment.
+1 to this. I've purchased at least one of everything Lotrek has released thus far but this is the first time I'm bowing out. Lack of discretionary funds as well as the multitude of items I'm still waiting on (just wish I could remember everything I've yet to receive. Believe there's even an uncut sheet or two) is making me hesitant to pull the trigger. Sorry, Lotrek.

Plus I'd rather save my money for the signature edition.
WTB/WTT: Vietnam Era Bicycle Secret Weapon Deck
Bruno

Re: INFERNO !

Unread post by Bruno »

Had to have a Crimson Flaming Infernal Test Deck.
For me it will stand as a burning reminder of the effort extended in overcoming the prolonged production saga of this series.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

Thanks.
O, I beg of you your comprehensions,
yet laugh at your contempts ....
my only competition is with myselves.

But Lèse-majesté, especially >Normans, natch.

Is jarnstill the Ars of the Hors Nebulous ?
Neigh .... the Effluxor of the Omniverse ??
Lotrek
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Lotrek »

Guys, I agree with you. These decks are just a sample of what didn't make it and why it was rejected. Also a proof that these decks were actually produced as the "official" decks will have some differences. There were people asking me to make them available, so I did. I don't see them as a part of the series.

Also, from the comments so far I have to take into account that you want to make some kind of programming, so you want to know how many versions of the decks I'm doing will be available. Although my creativity is galloping, for my next projects I'll try to determine from the beginning the number of editions and stick to this.

The Signature edition of the series was conceived a few days before the launch and has such features that only with this deck could become effective. It will be such a crazy thing that it would be pity to leave it for who knows when.

I can tell you from now that my Hieronymus deck which will be printed by one of the 3 major printing companies will have only 2 editions and no signature or any other fancy variation. The theme is so rich by itself that it doesn't need anything more.

pablo19

Unread post by pablo19 »

Lotrek wrote:Guys, I agree with you. These decks are just a sample of what didn't make it and why it was rejected. Also a proof that these decks were actually produced as the "official" decks will have some differences. There were people asking me to make them available, so I did. I don't see them as a part of the series.

Also, from the comments so far I have to take into account that you want to make some kind of programming, so you want to know how many versions of the decks I'm doing will be available. Although my creativity is galloping, for my next projects I'll try to determine from the beginning the number of editions and stick to this.

The Signature edition of the series was conceived a few days before the launch and has such features that only with this deck could become effective. It will be such a crazy thing that it would be pity to leave it for who knows when.

I can tell you from now that my Hieronymus deck which will be printed by one of the 3 major printing companies will have only 2 editions and no signature or any other fancy variation. The theme is so rich by itself that it doesn't need anything more.
Don't swing the pendulum back too hard, there is a middle ground of some standard decks and a couple of limited ones with extra features. I think you got the formula right back when you were doing Venexiana and Icons. I just feel like the number of limited editions of macrabre got a tad out of hand, this may just have been the expection.

You mention the signature edition will be available (I'm going all in on this series :| ) in the last 24h of the KS campaign, could you comment on how we will pledge for it? will it be through pm or new pledge tiers?

And... I can't believe I'm saying this after everything I've commented on the Macabre series... but Hyeronimus deserves some sort of special edition, at least one. I've just seen an owl in a berry and the jack of hearts but I know that deck will definitely be my favourite ever. :)
Bikefanatic
Decks Owned: 333

Unread post by Bikefanatic »

We all will still get the original version of the Grotesk Macabre Black (Gold & Silver), Black Mass (Gold & Silver) and Inferno decks once they are completed correctly. So what he's offering now is the imperfect, damaged, test runs of those decks.

This is the list of Official decks:
+(2)Black Mass Gold & Silver (part of 1st KS project)
+(2)Grotesk Macabre Black Gold & Silver (2nd KS project)
+(1)Grotesk Inferno (available during Grotesk Macabre Black G&S project)
+(1)Grotesk Bronze (which some may have forgot)
+(1)Grotesk Inverted Inferno (the current KS project with the Signature deck available soon)

Test Runs (imperfect decks)
-(2)Grotesk Black (G&S)
-(2)Black Mass (G&S)
-(1)Grotesk Inferno

So as of now, 7 real official decks and 5 decks that are not. Signature Inferno should be the 8th official deck.
"When I like something, I buy. No matter who did it, how many were printed or how many (re)colors exist.

When I don't like something, I pass. No matter who did it, how many were printed or how many (re)colors exist."

-Lotrek

*MY PORTFOLIO52 PROFILE https://portfolio52.com/profile/26674

* MY SELLER REVIEW viewtopic.php?f=28&t=16586
pablo19

Unread post by pablo19 »

Bikefanatic wrote:We all will still get the original version of the Grotesk Macabre Black (Gold & Silver), Black Mass (Gold & Silver) and Inferno decks once they are completed correctly. So what he's offering now is the imperfect, damaged, test runs of those decks.

+(1)Grotesk Inverted Inferno (the current KS project with the Signature deck available soon)

-(2)Grotesk Black (G&S)
-(2)Black Mass (G&S)
-(1)Grotesk Inferno

So as of now, 7 real official decks and 5 decks that are not. Signature Inferno should be the 8th official deck.
I would argue that the standard and limited edition Grotesk Macabre decks are also part of this series, leading to a total of 10 decks in the series (15 including test runs). It may be best to not calculate the total price of the complete series :?
Lotrek
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Lotrek »

One thing is for sure: YOU, WILL, LOVE, THEM, ALL!

pablo19

Unread post by pablo19 »

Read the latest update, looks like it's time to finish the series!
I'f I foillow correctly you are putting red foil on cards with red stock? The natural next step is to put foil on the foil, with some added foil embelishments on top of the foiled foil. :D
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
Cardist: Yes
Magician: Yes
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

pablo19 wrote:Read the latest update, looks like it's time to finish the series!
I'f I foillow correctly you are putting red foil on cards with red stock? The natural next step is to put foil on the foil, with some added foil embelishments on top of the foiled foil. :D
<Insert Xzibit "I heard you like foil" meme here>
- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki
Lotrek
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Lotrek »

pablo19 wrote:Read the latest update, looks like it's time to finish the series!
Not exactly. I use red stock but I print it full bleed with black ink background. This way the cards are black but after cutting the sides are red! Eheh...
side.lo.JPG
side.lo.JPG (378.69 KiB) Viewed 1857 times
The rendering is not the best in the world but it gives an idea...

Stepchild
Decks Owned: 146

Unread post by Stepchild »

:drool:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Bikefanatic
Decks Owned: 333

Unread post by Bikefanatic »

pablo19 wrote:
Bikefanatic wrote:We all will still get the original version of the Grotesk Macabre Black (Gold & Silver), Black Mass (Gold & Silver) and Inferno decks once they are completed correctly. So what he's offering now is the imperfect, damaged, test runs of those decks.

-(2)Grotesk Black (G&S)
-(2)Black Mass (G&S)
-(1)Grotesk Inferno

I would argue that the standard and limited edition Grotesk Macabre decks are also part of this series, leading to a total of 10 decks in the series (15 including test runs). It may be best to not calculate the total price of the complete series :?
You're right but it made more sense to put all of the decks that we haven't received yet so people can be up to date with what's going on to remind them and clear out confusion.
"When I like something, I buy. No matter who did it, how many were printed or how many (re)colors exist.

When I don't like something, I pass. No matter who did it, how many were printed or how many (re)colors exist."

-Lotrek

*MY PORTFOLIO52 PROFILE https://portfolio52.com/profile/26674

* MY SELLER REVIEW viewtopic.php?f=28&t=16586
pablo19

Unread post by pablo19 »

Looks like it's been a success!
I'd be curious though as to whether there may be a lag? As I refreshed the page the total amount pledged kept going up but the pledge tier had not appeared for me yet (?)
Lotrek
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Lotrek »

pablo19 wrote:Looks like it's been a success!
I'd be curious though as to whether there may be a lag? As I refreshed the page the total amount pledged kept going up but the pledge tier had not appeared for me yet (?)
Strange, as It's there from the beginning (6:00pm EDT)...

pablo19

Unread post by pablo19 »

Nevermind it, it's probably just people trying out how to change their reward beforehand. It did appear later though, as usual with your releases (not blaming you), my computer showed 00:03 before any tier appeared on screen. In any case the pledges increased from ~14000 to ~22000, so thats about 120 decks sold, ;)