Devastation by Jody Eklund

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
flyers3003
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
White Whale: Original Rarebit

Re: Devastation by Jody Eklund now live on KS

Unread post by flyers3003 »

The misspelling of "Florence Nightingale"
shermjack
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Unread post by shermjack »

flyers3003 wrote:The misspelling of "Florence Nightingale"
:o That's three errors! Ok, two if you don't consider the shading, but I don't think it was done intentionally :?
A deck a day helps keep the addiction at bay!

Check out my collection on Instagram @caratcasecreations
EndersGame
Cardist: Yes
Player: Yes
Magician: Yes

Unread post by EndersGame »

shermjack wrote: :o That's three errors! Ok, two if you don't consider the shading, but I don't think it was done intentionally :?
1. The incorrect spelling of Florence Nightingale was the first mistake.

2. The spade pips are actually correct on the King of Spades. It's the Jack and the Queen of Spades that have them incorrectly. All the Spade pips in the deck are ornamented, except the Jack and Queen.

3. The shading as it currently is seems somewhat haphazard and unfortunately inconsistent, but just now I think I've found a pattern. When I arranged the cards to take the photo below, I noticed that all the black court cards have shading except the King of Spades, while all the red court cards do not have shading except the King of Diamonds. Perhaps the characters for those two cards were switched around at some point, and the intent was that all the black courts have shading and all the red courts have no shading?

4. What about the ink used for the artwork on the corners? The cards pictured are from the Limited edition, concerning which the Kickstarter said "The face corners will all have a silver metallic ink". Maybe it's my imagination, but the artwork on the corners doesn't seem to be metallic ink, because it is somewhat dull in colour and doesn't reflect light at all. I could be wrong though - can anyone else who has the Limited edition comment?

For the record, I still think Jody is an amazing designer, and I'm a big fan of his work - see my detailed pictorial overview of all his decks here. It's a pity that these glitches slipped through here, but most people won't notice them, and the Devastation deck is still terrific!
All the Devastation court cards - why are only some shaded?
All the Devastation court cards - why are only some shaded?
--
BoardGameGeek reviewer EndersGame => Playing Card Reviews <=>Magic Reviews <=> Board Game Reviews <=

shermjack
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Unread post by shermjack »

EndersGame wrote: For the record, I still think Jody is an amazing designer, and I'm a big fan of his work. It's a pity that these glitches slipped through here, but most people won't notice them, and the Devastation deck is still terrific!
Agree 100%
A deck a day helps keep the addiction at bay!

Check out my collection on Instagram @caratcasecreations
TGunitedcardists

Unread post by TGunitedcardists »

shermjack wrote:Wow, maybe Jody needs to get a proof reader! :shock: Nice eye catching the different spade and no shading on the KoS ;)
I just checked. Aside from the shading behind the King of Spades, initially, I thought the mistake was with the King pip, but actually, the mistake is with the Queen and Jack pips.

I did get a polite message from Jody regarding this deck. However, there was one statement I ABSOLUTELY 100% disagree with, with regards to playing cards and Kickstarter projects.

----------------
He wrote:

"I would totally reconsider my decision to reprint a portion of a deck if it were deemed unplayable by a mistake I had made. I also believe that mistakes in collectable items can make for a much more collectable item."
----------------

I think the mistakes in this deck don't make it more collectable at all. If anything, I think they would hurt aftermarket sales.

Jody's latest project does look interesting, but I'm on the fence whether to pledge or not. This project shook my confidence. I got lucky. I missed this one. I only followed up on the forums. Obviously, I won't be pursuing these in the aftermarket.

There is no doubt he is a talented artist, but this project, along with the different font/size 7,8,9 and 10, was kind of a disaster from a quality control standpoint.

It's interesting to see how other artists deal with this stuff. Kings Wild/Jackson Robinson had a few mistakes on different projects, but he bit the bullet and reprinted and fixed the mistakes. Didn't this happen a few times? Sherlock deck and Texas deck, right?
Attachments
devastation-mistakes2.jpg
RichK
Decks Owned: 250

Unread post by RichK »

Why is the KoS the only non colorized face too? Every other person has skin tone whereas this King is just line art?
Move on, nothing to see here.