Devastation by Jody Eklund

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
badpete69
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Decks Owned: 1500

Re: Devastation by Jody Eklund now live on KS

Unread post by badpete69 »

This came in today... Looks great. The signature card wasn't in the package.. Not sure if I missed that the card was no longer part of the pledge.. Sent Jody a note

Update: Looks like the signature cards are inside the deck... All good Jody Thanks for the reply
Attachments
13199486_817878241689567_1005961977_o.jpg
13184638_817878181689573_2012895526_o.jpg
samurai007

Unread post by samurai007 »

The 7, 8, 9, and 10 of Spades cards had the wrong font in all the decks. And it is not off by a little, it is glaringly obvious. How in the world did every proofreader/checker/printer, etc miss such a drastic difference on 4 cards? Oh well, it is still a very nice deck, just wish someone had spoken up somewhere and said "Are these numbers supposed to be a different font and almost twice the size of all the other numbers?"
vasta41
Card Oracle
Card Oracle

Unread post by vasta41 »

I got mine yesterday, too. Very nice! I never realized until I put them in my display how the LE version tuck looks very similar to T11's Medallions. I like the black/red contrast much better though- and what's inside!
TGunitedcardists

Unread post by TGunitedcardists »

samurai007 wrote:The 7, 8, 9, and 10 of Spades cards had the wrong font in all the decks. And it is not off by a little, it is glaringly obvious. How in the world did every proofreader/checker/printer, etc miss such a drastic difference on 4 cards? Oh well, it is still a very nice deck, just wish someone had spoken up somewhere and said "Are these numbers supposed to be a different font and almost twice the size of all the other numbers?"
I didn't order these, but would like to see what you're talking about. Can you post a picture? Or someone post of picture of these?
Azid

Unread post by Azid »

All 3 decks & the Collector's Box now available:
http://blackinkplayingcards.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Greets, Azid
vasta41
Card Oracle
Card Oracle

Unread post by vasta41 »

Sorry to resurrect this old thread but I can't seem to find the complete list of who the court figures are. Since I will certainly not open my decks, is there anyone out there who knows who they are? Thanks in advance!

EDIT: watched the youtube review, all set! Surprised Oppenheimer isn't in there..
EndersGame
Cardist: Yes
Magician: Yes

Unread post by EndersGame »

TGunitedcardists wrote:
samurai007 wrote:The 7, 8, 9, and 10 of Spades cards had the wrong font in all the decks. And it is not off by a little, it is glaringly obvious. How in the world did every proofreader/checker/printer, etc miss such a drastic difference on 4 cards? Oh well, it is still a very nice deck, just wish someone had spoken up somewhere and said "Are these numbers supposed to be a different font and almost twice the size of all the other numbers?"
I didn't order these, but would like to see what you're talking about. Can you post a picture? Or someone post of picture of these?
Here's a photo I just took of the cards from my Devastation deck (limited edition) - note the size of the index numbers for the 7-10 of Spades compared with the rest of the suit:

It did come up in the comments on the Kickstarter here:

--
BoardGameGeek reviewer EndersGame => Playing Card Reviews <=>Magic Reviews <=> Board Game Reviews <=

EndersGame

vasta41 wrote:Sorry to resurrect this old thread but I can't seem to find the complete list of who the court figures are. Since I will certainly not open my decks, is there anyone out there who knows who they are? Thanks in advance!
Is there a place online that explains the significance of each character, and why they were included in this deck?
--
BoardGameGeek reviewer EndersGame => Playing Card Reviews <=>Magic Reviews <=> Board Game Reviews <=

TGunitedcardists

EndersGame wrote:
TGunitedcardists wrote:
Here's a photo I just took of the cards from my Devastation deck (limited edition) - note the size of the index numbers for the 7-10 of Spades compared with the rest of the suit:

It did come up in the comments on the Kickstarter here:

Thanks for posting the image. A mistake like that, I believe is too big. I hope every backer got a discount instead of an, "I'm sorry." Or just reprinted those cards and sent them out, or a full reprint. Another reason, every creator, should post on this board to have the masses of people here take a look. The mistake would have been caught and everyone would have one. I don't understand why creators develop in a bubble.
RichK
Decks Owned: 250

Unread post by RichK »

Maybe we should have seen it on the KS page. I missed it as seen here.

They should be fixed in my opinion.
Move on, nothing to see here.
EndersGame

vasta41 wrote:Sorry to resurrect this old thread but I can't seem to find the complete list of who the court figures are. Since I will certainly not open my decks, is there anyone out there who knows who they are? Thanks in advance!
In case anyone else is looking for this information in the future and comes across this thread, here's the answer (in order of K/Q/J):

Spades: Lancelot de Mole, Florence Nightingale, Richard J. Gatling
Hearts: Alfred Nobel, Clara Barton, Sr William Mills
Clubs: Helge Palmcrantz, Mary Lincoln, Samuel Colt
Diamonds: John Ericsson, Mary Mahoney, Anton Fokker

I'm still wondering though if there is anywhere online where the significance of each character is explained, and why they were included in this deck?
--

Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin
White Whale: OG USPCC Vanity Fair [mint]
Decks Owned: 7800

Unread post by Mike Ratledge »

RichK wrote:Maybe we should have seen it on the KS page. I missed it as seen here.

They should be fixed in my opinion.
Darn, that should have been noticed, frankly - by everyone who has seen it.

I don't know about replacing the cards. Honestly it's playable without any problem as it is, and unless it were being reprinted, I would have to be reasonable and let it pass.

The thing is that probably only 10% of the decks would ever get opened, maybe more now? Not sure, they ALL have that issue with the font size being wrong on the 7-10 of Spades.
>Mike<
"You can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself"
They say "Ignorance is bliss". Obviously, some people are much happier than others...

Members are encouraged to
Show Us Your Cards!

Our UC2021 Decks entitled
"Odd Fellows"
by Lorenzo Gaggiotti / @Stockholm17
Coming soon: AKA
«Eighth Annual Decks»

UC members help maintain Portfolio52
THE Playing Card Database Online
Contact ecNate for details and access

UC2019 "Seventh Annual Decks"
by Montenzi Design
Funded 207% on KS: HERE

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

Insert disclaimer here...
All information posted as fact is accurate at the time of posting to the best of my knowledge.
EndersGame

Mike Ratledge wrote:The thing is that probably only 10% of the decks would ever get opened, maybe more now? Not sure, they ALL have that issue with the font size being wrong on the 7-10 of Spades.
Yes, I believe this issue affects all the Devastation decks, no matter what version.

I'm curious about your comment that only about 10% of these types of decks would ever get opened. I've enjoyed playing cards for a while, but am still somewhat new to the world of collecting. So am I in that 10% in that I open most of my decks and actually use them for playing games like Cribbage? Admittedly, I probably don't have as large a collection as some other people here. But I am interested to learn more about the "10%" figure. Is that actually fairly typical for custom playing cards, that 90% of decks sold go to collectors and are not opened?
--

Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin
White Whale: OG USPCC Vanity Fair [mint]
Decks Owned: 7800

Unread post by Mike Ratledge »

EndersGame wrote:
Mike Ratledge wrote:The thing is that probably only 10% of the decks would ever get opened, maybe more now? Not sure, they ALL have that issue with the font size being wrong on the 7-10 of Spades.
Yes, I believe this issue affects all the Devastation decks, no matter what version.

I'm curious about your comment that only about 10% of these types of decks would ever get opened. I've enjoyed playing cards for a while, but am still somewhat new to the world of collecting. So am I in that 10% in that I open most of my decks and actually use them
Well, that's an educated guess, of course - but I bet it's pretty accurate. Most collectors don't open more than 1 of any specific deck, at least "most".
>Mike<
"You can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself"
They say "Ignorance is bliss". Obviously, some people are much happier than others...

Members are encouraged to
Show Us Your Cards!

Our UC2021 Decks entitled
"Odd Fellows"
by Lorenzo Gaggiotti / @Stockholm17
Coming soon: AKA
«Eighth Annual Decks»

UC members help maintain Portfolio52
THE Playing Card Database Online
Contact ecNate for details and access

UC2019 "Seventh Annual Decks"
by Montenzi Design
Funded 207% on KS: HERE

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

Insert disclaimer here...
All information posted as fact is accurate at the time of posting to the best of my knowledge.
EndersGame

Mike Ratledge wrote:
RichK wrote:Maybe we should have seen it on the KS page. I missed it as seen here.
Oh it was noticed alright. In fact, it was even mentioned in this very thread, where someone posted that they actually liked the larger size used for the 10!

Here is the exact post:
sprouts1115 wrote:Really like your pips and that elongated ten is very nice. I'm going to steal that...
--

vasta41
Card Oracle
Card Oracle

Unread post by vasta41 »

EndersGame wrote:
Mike Ratledge wrote:
Oh it was noticed alright. In fact, it was even mentioned in this very thread, where someone posted that they actually liked the larger size used for the 10!

Here is the exact post:
sprouts1115 wrote:Really like your pips and that elongated ten is very nice. I'm going to steal that...
Sprouts catches everything. Where the hell has he been, anyway??
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

Sprouts was too good for us, we didn't deserve him.

Just like the other greats of history, he was misunderstood and unappreciated in his own time. So sad.
- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki
EndersGame

There are some more glitches that I just noticed when looking at the Devastation deck carefully.

Here's a photo I just took of three court cards from the deck. How many mistakes can you spot?

Hint: There are at least two different ones (one is glaringly obvious, the other one is more subtle).
How many mistakes can you spot on these cards?
How many mistakes can you spot on these cards?
By the way, I'm not referring to the ink used on these cards. The cards pictured are from the Limited edition, concerning which the Kickstarter said "The face corners will all have a silver metallic ink". Maybe it's my imagination, but the artwork on the corners doesn't seem to be metallic ink - can anyone else who has the Limited edition comment?
--

shermjack
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Unread post by shermjack »

Wow, maybe Jody needs to get a proof reader! :shock: Nice eye catching the different spade and no shading on the KoS ;)
A deck a day helps keep the addiction at bay!

Check out my collection on Instagram @caratcasecreations
EndersGame

shermjack wrote:Nice eye catching the different spade and no shading on the KoS ;)
Actually there's one more - you missed the glaringly obvious one!

I'm not sure that the absence of shading is an error - a number of the other court cards don't have it either, it's oddly inconsistent.
--

flyers3003
White Whale: Original Rarebit

Unread post by flyers3003 »

The misspelling of "Florence Nightingale"
shermjack
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

flyers3003 wrote:The misspelling of "Florence Nightingale"
:o That's three errors! Ok, two if you don't consider the shading, but I don't think it was done intentionally :?

EndersGame

shermjack wrote: :o That's three errors! Ok, two if you don't consider the shading, but I don't think it was done intentionally :?
1. The incorrect spelling of Florence Nightingale was the first mistake.

2. The spade pips are actually correct on the King of Spades. It's the Jack and the Queen of Spades that have them incorrectly. All the Spade pips in the deck are ornamented, except the Jack and Queen.

3. The shading as it currently is seems somewhat haphazard and unfortunately inconsistent, but just now I think I've found a pattern. When I arranged the cards to take the photo below, I noticed that all the black court cards have shading except the King of Spades, while all the red court cards do not have shading except the King of Diamonds. Perhaps the characters for those two cards were switched around at some point, and the intent was that all the black courts have shading and all the red courts have no shading?

4. What about the ink used for the artwork on the corners? The cards pictured are from the Limited edition, concerning which the Kickstarter said "The face corners will all have a silver metallic ink". Maybe it's my imagination, but the artwork on the corners doesn't seem to be metallic ink, because it is somewhat dull in colour and doesn't reflect light at all. I could be wrong though - can anyone else who has the Limited edition comment?

For the record, I still think Jody is an amazing designer, and I'm a big fan of his work - see my detailed pictorial overview of all his decks here. It's a pity that these glitches slipped through here, but most people won't notice them, and the Devastation deck is still terrific!
All the Devastation court cards - why are only some shaded?
All the Devastation court cards - why are only some shaded?
--

shermjack
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

EndersGame wrote: For the record, I still think Jody is an amazing designer, and I'm a big fan of his work. It's a pity that these glitches slipped through here, but most people won't notice them, and the Devastation deck is still terrific!
Agree 100%

TGunitedcardists

shermjack wrote:Wow, maybe Jody needs to get a proof reader! :shock: Nice eye catching the different spade and no shading on the KoS ;)
I just checked. Aside from the shading behind the King of Spades, initially, I thought the mistake was with the King pip, but actually, the mistake is with the Queen and Jack pips.

I did get a polite message from Jody regarding this deck. However, there was one statement I ABSOLUTELY 100% disagree with, with regards to playing cards and Kickstarter projects.

----------------
He wrote:

"I would totally reconsider my decision to reprint a portion of a deck if it were deemed unplayable by a mistake I had made. I also believe that mistakes in collectable items can make for a much more collectable item."
----------------

I think the mistakes in this deck don't make it more collectable at all. If anything, I think they would hurt aftermarket sales.

Jody's latest project does look interesting, but I'm on the fence whether to pledge or not. This project shook my confidence. I got lucky. I missed this one. I only followed up on the forums. Obviously, I won't be pursuing these in the aftermarket.

There is no doubt he is a talented artist, but this project, along with the different font/size 7,8,9 and 10, was kind of a disaster from a quality control standpoint.

It's interesting to see how other artists deal with this stuff. Kings Wild/Jackson Robinson had a few mistakes on different projects, but he bit the bullet and reprinted and fixed the mistakes. Didn't this happen a few times? Sherlock deck and Texas deck, right?
Attachments
devastation-mistakes2.jpg
RichK
Decks Owned: 250

Unread post by RichK »

Why is the KoS the only non colorized face too? Every other person has skin tone whereas this King is just line art?
Move on, nothing to see here.