Life cycle of a deck of cards

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
volantangel
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Decks Owned: 350

Life cycle of a deck of cards

Unread post by volantangel »

Hi guys pardon this seemingly simple question, but whats the typical life stages of a deck of cards?? from what i know it seems to be like this:

brand new out of box (nice) -> broken in (v nice) -> clumpy stage (dead) -> after clumpy stage??? is there life after death?

Apparently my monarch deck clumps to no end after very lightly using it for a few days? fans are well.. just not fans anymore..

Yet my fav deck to fan now is a bee no.92 deck ive gotten ages ago (6-7 years?? maybe more?) still fans like a charm after thoroughly abusing it (brought it to the beach, played in the sand, poker w friends, etc) so whats up with this??
Wildereachday

Re: Life cycle of a deck of cards

Unread post by Wildereachday »

I live in Florida, and I find that most decks need time to breathe once I open them. I'll break the seal, get some great fans out of it. Do some riffle and faro shuffles. a couple springs and leave them alone for a day. After a day the are horrible! Clumpy, warped, not very useful. However, once they've had a week or so to breathe, everything comes back into place. It may be nothing, but I account the breathe time to the humidity here (it's not nearly as bad in the winter too).

Another thought is that the Bee deck is most likely from the Ohio plant. My few original decks still handle very well after many years.

You also could have gotten a bad deck. It happens sometimes. Do other Theory11 decks handle like that? What about decks from other companies?
volantangel
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Decks Owned: 350

Re: Life cycle of a deck of cards

Unread post by volantangel »

haha its plenty humid where i am and decks dont come cheap, maybe ill give it a go and let it rest for a long while..

what do you do to let it breathe? place them back into the box ? Or leave it outside?

yeap the bee deck states ohio on the side, so its prolly from the old plant? how do the new bee decks stack up to the old ones?