Wicked Kingdom Playing Cards by Wylie Beckert - Funded

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
sms69x
Collector: Yes
Magician: Yes
Decks Owned: 700

Re: Wicked Kingdom Playing Cards by Wylie Beckert (early 201

Unread post by sms69x »

So when will we have the privilege to buy these? Really love the artwork!
wyliebeckert
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

Unread post by wyliebeckert »

Things ended up taking a little longer than I'd hoped, but I'm finally getting ready to Kickstart this thing later this month. Just started a thread over in the Custom Deck Drafting board to give everyone a look at the deck-in-progress while I iron out the layout kinks and double-check the details - I'd welcome any input you guys might have before I make things official... viewtopic.php?f=15&t=8748
I'm hand-painting a dark and twisted playing card deck...
http://www.reignofsin.com
sarone13
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

Unread post by sarone13 »

Beautiful work Wylie! Looking forward to seeing this one come out.
Cocktail Hour Playing Cards available here:
http://www.cocktailhourcards.com
soryunjin

Unread post by soryunjin »

Now live:

Noblesse Oblige.
wyliebeckert
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

The Wicked Kingdom Deck (LIVE ON KICKSTARTER)

After a year and a half of painting, I'm finally launching the Wicked Kingdom deck! This is my first playing card deck, and I'm insanely excited to be putting it out there. The deck is currently live on Kickstarter (http://tinyurl.com/wickedkingdomlaunch) and will be printed by the USPCC.

The layout/card design is still a work in progress (and the art may need some tweaking as the layout develops) but here are some samples of the overall direction I'm heading in.

The tuck case:
Number cards/card back:
Face cards/aces:
A big part of this project is storytelling, and the narrative behind the characters. Each face card has a backstory:
A preview of the basic reward tiers - I'm also making the original art (drawings and oil paintings) and limited-edition prints of the card art available through the Kickstarter.
This deck has come together with a lot of helpful suggestions from the forum - and I'm definitely interested in continuing to improve the project, so feedback is welcome!
Justin O.
White Whale: Jaqk Cellars V1
Decks Owned: 400

Re: The Wicked Kingdom Deck (LIVE ON KICKSTARTER)

Unread post by Justin O. »

wyliebeckert wrote:After a year and a half of painting, I'm finally launching the Wicked Kingdom deck! This is my first playing card deck, and I'm insanely excited to be putting it out there. The deck is currently live on Kickstarter (http://tinyurl.com/wickedkingdomlaunch) and will be printed by the USPCC.
Hey Wylie I think we already have a topic with lots of excitment for your deck here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7375" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. I'm sure Mods will merge.

I am really excited for this one, already backed and can't wait to see what unfolds for stretch goals and features. Beautiful art and an amazing theme
Jackson completely revolutionized the way I waste money...
Bruno
Decks Owned: 0

Re: Wicked Kingdom Playing Cards by Wylie Beckert [NOW LIVE]

Unread post by Bruno »

Funding freight train WaaHooooooo !! :D
O, I beg of you your comprehensions,
yet laugh at your contempts ....
my only competition is with myselves.

But Lèse-majesté, especially >Normans, natch.

Is jarnstill the Ars of the Hors Nebulous ?
Neigh .... the Effluxor of the Omniverse ??
wyliebeckert
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

Thanks for the thread merge! I'm really thrilled this project has gotten so much traction on Day 1 - I'm sure you guys are responsible in no small part :)

Looks like I'll be approaching stretch goal territory soon, if anyone has any thoughts on what sort of upgrades they'd like to see...
JuFiN
Player: Yes
White Whale: Delirium Signature
Decks Owned: 1000

Unread post by JuFiN »

I'm always a fan of embossed tuck boxes as a stretch goal personally.
ecNate

Unread post by ecNate »

Embossed tuck for sure, then foil, but not sure how that would work with this theme. So double embossed? ;-)
Bruno
Decks Owned: 0

Unread post by Bruno »

Well me and myselves for a few cannot get enough of your riotous art, so **More Of The Same In A Book**, would be sweet-light and darkly advantageous, :ugthink: yehyehyeh .... :ugthink:
O, I beg of you your comprehensions,
yet laugh at your contempts ....
my only competition is with myselves.

But Lèse-majesté, especially >Normans, natch.

Is jarnstill the Ars of the Hors Nebulous ?
Neigh .... the Effluxor of the Omniverse ??
sms69x

Unread post by sms69x »

For almost an year now I've been eagerly waiting for these to go live, and finally I got the opportunity to pledge.

Couple of things that you should consider and revise in your project:
You should add a tier for a half brick (6 decks)
Your add-on chart is totally wrong for int'l backers. One deck for $23 or 4 for $62??? Where did you came up with these numbers???
Since we can only add decks to our pledge if we are backing $11 or more, this means that we are already paying for shipping once, and in the add-on you are asking for the full value of shipping, making this the first project that asks international backers to pay triplie shipping ((domestic shipping + Int'l shipping) + Add-on Int'l shipping (which also include the domestic shipping add-on)) [four times shipping??]!!
A simple example:
If I'm a backer for one deck:
$15 + $10 = $25
Now I want to add another deck:
$13 + $10 = $23
Giving a total of $48, and out of these $48, $20 are shipping charges!!! Unless you're shipping the decks in a bullet prove case lined with some extra smooth velvet these prices are totaly wrong, so you should consider to revise them..
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

sms69x wrote:For almost an year now I've been eagerly waiting for these to go live, and finally I got the opportunity to pledge.

Couple of things that you should consider and revise in your project:
You should add a tier for a half brick (6 decks)
Your add-on chart is totally wrong for int'l backers. One deck for $23 or 4 for $62??? Where did you came up with these numbers???
Since we can only add decks to our pledge if we are backing $11 or more, this means that we are already paying for shipping once, and in the add-on you are asking for the full value of shipping, making this the first project that asks international backers to pay triplie shipping ((domestic shipping + Int'l shipping) + Add-on Int'l shipping (which also include the domestic shipping add-on)) [four times shipping??]!!
A simple example:
If I'm a backer for one deck:
$15 + $10 = $25
Now I want to add another deck:
$13 + $10 = $23
Giving a total of $48, and out of these $48, $20 are shipping charges!!! Unless you're shipping the decks in a bullet prove case lined with some extra smooth velvet these prices are totaly wrong, so you should consider to revise them..
Absolutely agree. This deck is poised to be one of the best (and most funded) on Kickstarter, but the Int'l shipping charges are a letdown. I believe these need to be looked at closely, and possibly revised.

Update: Just talked to a friend in US, and will get this redirected to him ;) as I don't want to miss this deck.
Justin O.

wyliebeckert wrote:Looks like I'll be approaching stretch goal territory soon, if anyone has any thoughts on what sort of upgrades they'd like to see...

Would like to add my voice to the choir that embossing and foil on the tucks are favorites of mine for streatch goals, also art on the inside of the tuck is such an awesome addition to a deck.
Alternative color versions are usually a fan favorite as well
wyliebeckert
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

Thanks for checking out the project, everyone! Regarding shipping and add-ons...

The unfortunate thing I realized when I was planning the prices for the tiers and add-ons is that international shipping from the US is CRAZY EXPENSIVE, even for fairly small/light packages. I've received some dire warnings from creators who got burned by underestimating international shipping, and as excited as I am to get this deck into the hands of backers outside the US, I can't risk losing money on international orders.

I did make sure that all the reward tiers calculate international shipping as the additional amount OVER domestic shipping rates (for example, I'm charging $15 shipping for two decks sent to Australia. It will actually costs me closer to $23 to ship that package, but I'm deducting the already-included cost of US shipping from that number). Long story short, international buyers are not paying double on reward tier shipping, and USPS is the only one profiting off the price difference.

The add-ons are another kettle of fish, since depending on which items are selected, combined shipping may or may not be possible (ie, an uncut sheet and a brick would probably have to ship separately, costing me the full shipping rate on each package). As it stands, each add-on item is priced at the reward tier cost including shipping, minus $2.

In retrospect, I probably should have created more diverse reward tiers, but I had concerns about keeping the interface simple and assumed most backers would just be picking up a deck or two rather than mixing and matching. I may have to add more combo reward tiers (as I did with the Postcard Pack + One Deck tier) to save backers the trouble of multiple add-ons.

I'll definitely add in a half-brick tier since there's some interest - I wasn't sure about adding more multiple deck tiers, since the Four Deck and Brick tiers have been the least popular so far.

Really appreciate the input; please keep it coming.
Justin O.

Amazing process walkthrough on the most recent project update: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/wy ... 2?ref=dash" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For those curious for a behind the scenes of how this deck's art was created
sms69x

Unread post by sms69x »

wyliebeckert wrote: The add-ons are another kettle of fish, since depending on which items are selected, combined shipping may or may not be possible (ie, an uncut sheet and a brick would probably have to ship separately, costing me the full shipping rate on each package). As it stands, each add-on item is priced at the reward tier cost including shipping, minus $2.
Your shipping in the reward tier looks ok, the problem is with your add-ons, clarly you over-estimated it by too much. I understand that you can't loose money on shipping, but using this excuse to actually make some extra profit on it is something that you shouldn't do. You should take your time, like other KS creators did, to estimate how much would actually cost to add one deck to any reward, and work with that value. Now asking the full amount of shipping when we add something to the reward is just laziness and totally disregard for you international backers...

As I said, I'm very happy to be able to pledge for this deck (right now pledging for four), but certenatelly will not pledge more (would upgrade to 6 or 8) because of that over-expensive add-on shipping prices...
wyliebeckert
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

sms69x wrote: Your shipping in the reward tier looks ok, the problem is with your add-ons, clarly you over-estimated it by too much.
I'm going to try to find a more elegant solution for the shipping calculations over the next month... I've been looking into some other creator's campaigns to see how they handled it, and it looks like having a base add-on rate for each additional card deck AND a chart for adding up international shipping according to total number of decks will be the way to go (although if anyone can think of any specific campaigns that handled it particularly well, I'd love to check that out for reference).

I'm hoping to avoid backer confusion as much as possible if I'm implementing any changes to the pricing structure - I think a pretty good number of backers are new to the KS backing process based on how many inquiries I've gotten about how to add a deck, etc...

I'll have to do some calculations to get things figured out and find some better references for product weights (there was a lot of estimating involved in figuring my initial rates) which might take a bit of time... I'm assuming better late than never, though. I'll keep you guys posted.
wyliebeckert
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

A question that might help me jumpstart getting the add-on rates fixed: does anyone happen to know the exact weight of a Bee deck or an uncut sheet? Totally not spoiling the first stretch goal here, I'm "just asking for a friend"... ;)
JuFiN
White Whale: Delirium Signature
Decks Owned: 1000

Unread post by JuFiN »

According to this amazon listing the shipping weight is 3.5 ounces
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0001HKDZ4?ps ... QHCN0P1LZN
ecNate

Unread post by ecNate »

JuFiN wrote:According to this amazon listing the shipping weight is 3.5 ounces
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0001HKDZ4?ps ... QHCN0P1LZN

I would say that's about right? ;) Just don't forget to account for the bubble wrap and cardboard or envelope too, that adds up.

shermjack
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Unread post by shermjack »

Hey Wylie, when are you gonna add the half brick tier? I wanna pledge for it :ugdance: :lol:
A deck a day helps keep the addiction at bay!

Check out my collection on Instagram @caratcasecreations
sms69x

Unread post by sms69x »

shermjack wrote:Hey Wylie, when are you gonna add the half brick tier? I wanna pledge for it :ugdance: :lol:
Second that
wyliebeckert
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

shermjack wrote:Hey Wylie, when are you gonna add the half brick tier? I wanna pledge for it :ugdance: :lol:
Sorry for the delay in adding those tiers, it's been a busy weekend here! Just added new reward tiers with 6- and 8- deck quantities.

The new tiers should represent some pretty significant savings over the base tier + add-on system for international backers looking to pick up multiple decks... hopefully that'll serve as a decent stopgap measure until I can properly address the issues with the add-on rates.

In other good news, we're only about $1500 away from the Bee stock stretch goal, so that upgrade is definitely happening! All decks will be Bee decks in another day or two if the funding pace remains steady.
sms69x

Unread post by sms69x »

Early Bird just opened, I fanally changed for the 6 deck tier!! Thank you Wylie!

I would have gone for the 8 deck tier, but that $38 for int'l shipping killed it .Is the same to ship 8 decks as is it to ship 12??
wyliebeckert
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

sms69x wrote:I would have gone for the 8 deck tier, but that $38 for int'l shipping killed it .Is the same to ship 8 decks as is it to ship 12??
Sadly, yes - same cost on my end for both. International shipping is wildly expensive from the US : (
wyliebeckert
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

An update...

After spending a few days trying to puzzle out a more elegant solution for the international add-on shipping, I've come to the conclusion that I won't be able to make any changes this late in the game that will treat all levels of backers fairly while covering my own shipping costs AND remaining comprehensible (judging by my inbox, the add-on procedure is already pretty confusing to a lot of backers without complicating it further).

I think I'm going to have to chalk this one up as a learning experience. My apologies to any international backers who are missing out on their desired combo of rewards this time around - I'll definitely handle the add-ons more intelligently (or tailor the reward tiers so I can do away with add-ons entirely) on my next kickstarter.

The good news is I've checked and re-checked my shipping rates on the reward tiers themselves - international shipping rates, while high, are in line with the actual packing & shipping costs I'll be paying to get your rewards mailed.
TGunitedcardists

Unread post by TGunitedcardists »

@Wylie Beckert

Most designers do their work digitally. Seems like the Wicked Kingdom deck was done by hand. What was the process after that? Did you scan the images and manipulate in Photoshop etc? From what you've shown, everything looks great and unlike a lot of the projects out there. Could you explain the process a bit more from when you finished by hand and the next steps you took? How much digital editing was done?
cherrynukacola

Unread post by cherrynukacola »

TGunitedcardists wrote:@Wylie Beckert

Most designers do their work digitally. Seems like the Wicked Kingdom deck was done by hand. What was the process after that? Did you scan the images and manipulate in Photoshop etc? From what you've shown, everything looks great and unlike a lot of the projects out there. Could you explain the process a bit more from when you finished by hand and the next steps you took? How much digital editing was done?
Have a look at the updates, they are VERY detailed about the process behind each image!
wyliebeckert
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

A quick update on the project: Funding has reached the 50K mark; I've added an art book tier to the reward selections!

The art book will be a 72 page softcover (6.625 x 10.25") volume featuring all of the art and writing from the Wicked Kingdom project, along with process write-ups, work-in-progress snapshots, and notes on the creation of the traditionally-painted artwork for the deck.