Rating the Black Friday Sales

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
alric
Cardist: Yes
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes

Rating the Black Friday Sales

Unread post by alric »

If I had to rate all the Black Friday sales, here would be my top 3:

NUMBER 1 = David Blaine's Silver Split Spades at $33.00 per brick! I do have to offer apologies to those outside of the US since his intnl shipping rate is terrible, but for those in the US, this deal can't be beat.

NUMBER 2 = Theory11's Collector's Edition Wood box set with the new Artisan playing cards. After factoring in their 15% discount, they're basically giving you this remarkable Collector's Edition wood box for under $20.00, plus they're releasing a new custom deck that's actually attainable.

NUMBER 3 = CCC/HOPC's release of Heraldry and Curator decks, plus some deep discounts on most of HOPC's existing decks. The Heraldry decks look very promising, but these guys didn't get rated higher due to the ridiculous $9.00 sale price of the Heraldry deck. Yeah, yeah, I know they offered a 33% discount making them $6.00, but HOPC sold them for $6.95, so its just a 14% discount in reality. And since CCC "sold out" in the first day, they will in fact NEVER sell a Heraldry deck for $9.00. It was basically a "let's inflate the price and then offer a great discount" bait and switch, kinda cheesy. C'mon, guys, you're better than that. But it was a good release nonetheless, with the Heraldry decks being in the running for one of the best custom decks released in 2012.

The Steaming Pile of Shit Award goes to.....Dan & Dave for printing out (at least) 10,000 bland, Black polka-dot S&M v. 7 and expecting us to have to buy 5 knock-off reprints of earlier versions just to get the v.7 at the horrific price of $85.00 for 6 total decks. All that build up for an ugly deck at an ugly price. Where's Si Scott in the v.7? I think even the most extreme D&D fanboys out there (you know who you are) will have a hard time justifying this.

The Steaming Pile of Shit Award II goes to....Ellusionist for selling the Black Artifice for basically $145.00. Sad.

All in all a disappointing Black Friday event - a few bright spots and a lot of lows. Let me know what you guys think!
PlayingCardz
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Re: Rating the Black Friday Sales

Unread post by PlayingCardz »

I agree with most of what you said, maybe you are a bit too harsh on Ellusionist though, you do get alot of stuff along with the black club deck, $147 is still be a bit too expensive don't get me wrong.

Kudos to DB, and I live outside of US, the shipping cost is very expensive when you buy one brick but is way more reasonable when you buy more. Good that I have a shop to supply.
Online magic playing cards shop : http://www.playingcardz.net 5% off your entire order using the coupon code UNITED
Shipping worldwide, Free to the european union and Switzerland if your order is > $200
And to the rest of the world if your order is > ~$400!!!
phantom1412

Unread post by phantom1412 »

Agree too.
At least this year I can save my money much more than last year's.

But don't T11 and D&D do holiday contest?
It seems quite especially on T11 site.
vjose32

Unread post by vjose32 »

phantom1412 wrote:Agree too.
At least this year I can save my money much more than last year's.

But don't T11 and D&D do holiday contest?
It seems quite especially on T11 site.
Theory11 is doing a holiday contest. You get one entry for every item you buy, just like last year. Then you use your entries for the prizes you want.
vjose32

Unread post by vjose32 »

alric wrote:If I had to rate all the Black Friday sales, here would be my top 3:

NUMBER 1 = David Blaine's Silver Split Spades at $33.00 per brick! I do have to offer apologies to those outside of the US since his intnl shipping rate is terrible, but for those in the US, this deal can't be beat.

NUMBER 2 = Theory11's Collector's Edition Wood box set with the new Artisan playing cards. After factoring in their 15% discount, they're basically giving you this remarkable Collector's Edition wood box for under $20.00, plus they're releasing a new custom deck that's actually attainable.

NUMBER 3 = CCC/HOPC's release of Heraldry and Curator decks, plus some deep discounts on most of HOPC's existing decks. The Heraldry decks look very promising, but these guys didn't get rated higher due to the ridiculous $9.00 sale price of the Heraldry deck. Yeah, yeah, I know they offered a 33% discount making them $6.00, but HOPC sold them for $6.95, so its just a 14% discount in reality. And since CCC "sold out" in the first day, they will in fact NEVER sell a Heraldry deck for $9.00. It was basically a "let's inflate the price and then offer a great discount" bait and switch, kinda cheesy. C'mon, guys, you're better than that. But it was a good release nonetheless, with the Heraldry decks being in the running for one of the best custom decks released in 2012.

The Steaming Pile of Shit Award goes to.....Dan & Dave for printing out (at least) 10,000 bland, Black polka-dot S&M v. 7 and expecting us to have to buy 5 knock-off reprints of earlier versions just to get the v.7 at the horrific price of $85.00 for 6 total decks. All that build up for an ugly deck at an ugly price. Where's Si Scott in the v.7? I think even the most extreme D&D fanboys out there (you know who you are) will have a hard time justifying this.

The Steaming Pile of Shit Award II goes to....Ellusionist for selling the Black Artifice for basically $145.00. Sad.

All in all a disappointing Black Friday event - a few bright spots and a lot of lows. Let me know what you guys think!
Sorry for the double post but I just wanted to point out that your math on the Artisans is WAY off. $49 minus 15% is about $42 not $20. Not sure how you got that number or what you meant by it, but it doesn't make sense and is somewhat misleading.
hikeeba

Unread post by hikeeba »

The Artisans wood box comes with 4 decks. So the $20 is the difference between buying 4 decks and buying the collector's box.
alric
Player: Yes

Unread post by alric »

vjose32 wrote:I just wanted to point out that your math on the Artisans is WAY off. $49 minus 15% is about $42 not $20. Not sure how you got that number or what you meant by it, but it doesn't make sense and is somewhat misleading.
Like Hikeeba said, the collector's box comes with 4 decks. Here's the math for you so you don't think I'm misleading you:

4 Artisan decks = $27.80 ($6.95 x 4)
Collector's box = $49.95

Subtract the cost of the decks from the Collector's box $49.95 - $27.80 = $22.15

Apply the 15% discount $22.15 x .85 = $18.83

This brings the cost of the Collector's box to $18.83, which is under $20.00
MJF

Unread post by MJF »

Props should be going to
the1eyedjack - Special 20% across the board site-wide discount... picked up many great decks on that one...
magic apple - They are basically giving away decks
tannens - fricking awesome pricing on some decks... Players for $5.95/deck??? Yes please!

Those were three bright stars in the bunch. Of the big guys, HOPC (Even though they are really the Blue Crown - that's what my Paypal statement says), and Theory11, were the two decent promos.

I agree with that first list. D&D was a massive disappointment. Ellusionist was a huge disappointment. Someone tell me something I'm unaware of, like you can get Gold Arcanes for $20 or Red Artifices for $20 through a special member portal and I might change my mind. For now, I'll just add the Black Artifice to "wish list" of decks that will take me years to obtain for a reasonable price (Jerry Nuggets, Centurions, Gold Arcanes, Golden Nuggets, etc...)
cosmicsecret
Magician: Yes
Decks Owned: 140

Unread post by cosmicsecret »

#1 David Blaine' s Silver Split Spades Deal. I paid 44€ shipped for a brick to germany.
#2 HOPC good solid deals and discounts no doubt,was tempted to get a Curator Deck Uncut...but passed due shipping cost.
#3 Theory11 The wooden collectors box with the 4 decks and the discount code was a nice surprise,too bad that the coupon code was only good for 12hrs

Ellusionist and D&D are the money grabbers.
Paying $140 USD for a black artifice (the crap load of junk you are basically buying with it) is
Not okay.
For one new produced deck of cards in my collection paying that much? Nope i rather spend that money
With my girlfriend and friends on a theme park or day at the beach.Having better memories on that instead of a
Deck amongs others.

Really dissapointed in D&D and E
vjose32

Unread post by vjose32 »

alric wrote:
vjose32 wrote:I just wanted to point out that your math on the Artisans is WAY off. $49 minus 15% is about $42 not $20. Not sure how you got that number or what you meant by it, but it doesn't make sense and is somewhat misleading.
Like Hikeeba said, the collector's box comes with 4 decks. Here's the math for you so you don't think I'm misleading you:

4 Artisan decks = $27.80 ($6.95 x 4)
Collector's box = $49.95

Subtract the cost of the decks from the Collector's box $49.95 - $27.80 = $22.15

Apply the 15% discount $22.15 x .85 = $18.83

This brings the cost of the Collector's box to $18.83, which is under $20.00
Ok my bad, but in reality the cost of the box doesn't really mean that much because you can't buy them separately or anything and you still have to pay for 4 decks which not everyone may want, especially with all these other more expensive deals around. I only bought 2 Artisans myself and i'm sure a lot of other people are only buying 1 or 2.