USPCC vs. Cartamundi

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
zsalman

USPCC vs. Cartamundi

Unread post by zsalman »

What does everyone think about getting cards printed at Cartamundi vs. USPCC?

Everyone talks about USPCC and I would like to have my new deck project printed with them becuase they are so well-known, but they are a pretty conservative company and because of the risque nature of my artwork, they won't print my cards unless I make some significant changes to the images, censoring them in some way.

There is no clear nudity in my art, and in fact, you'll have to look pretty closely to see that the models aren't wearing any clothing, but it's still steamy enough for USPCC not to print the cards. If you're curious, you can check out my artwork here: http://images.surrealscapes.net/Artwork/Lumens. These images are created by projecting 35mm slides onto live models and then photographing the result. I'm looking to create a custom deck using this technique, where the projected images would be custom designs taliored to the deck. I haven't decided what I want to do yet, but I'm leaning towards something related to mandalas.

So my only other choice for a large and reputable card printer is Cartamundi, and I would have the cards printed at their Dallas facility here in the US. I'm just curious if anyone has had any experience with them and if the fact that the cards are not USPCC would work against me.

Thanks,

Zaid
walrus

Re: USPCC vs. Cartamundi

Unread post by walrus »

Interesting. I think I dated the first page.
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
Cardist: Yes
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Magician: Yes
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

Nevermind wally, he gets delirious on that medication of his.

I don't have any experience with Cartamundi-printed decks, but they are at least somewhat reputable, which is good.

I expressed my interest in your project in your other thread, and I think that might be one of the few decks that I wouldn't care too much about the handling of (others in the past have been the BRC decks, though that stock was really terrible). It probably wouldn't look good in fans anyway, and wouldn't need to either. Unless you make an amazing back design.
- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki
john

Unread post by john »

I personally have had nothing but bad experiences with cartamundi. I don't recall the deck name but it was some "high quality" poker edition that couldn't fan or spread and had the worst stock i have ever had the displeasure of handling.
dazzleguts
White Whale: Das Kartenspiel Des Oberdeutsc
Decks Owned: 885

Unread post by dazzleguts »

Well, Carta Mundi make trading card games and are respected for the quality of them. The graphics of TCs are demanding so it may suit your project. USPCC tried to get into the collectible card game market, in 1995 - 99, but was unsuccessful.

Carta Mundi also stopped using the products of Asia Pulp and Paper whose "forest-trashing" practices were recently exposed, so they are concerned at least with the image of responsible resource use.

As to whether they have continued to earn their good rep, I don't know.
How long ago did you use that poker deck john?
Worldwide Time Machine

"Cards from far off lands and bygone days!"
john

Unread post by john »

dazzleguts wrote:Well, Carta Mundi make trading card games and are respected for the quality of them. The graphics of TCs are demanding so it may suit your project. USPCC tried to get into the collectible card game market, in 1995 - 99, but was unsuccessful.

Carta Mundi also stopped using the products of Asia Pulp and Paper whose "forest-trashing" practices were recently exposed, so they are concerned at least with the image of responsible resource use.

As to whether they have continued to earn their good rep, I don't know.
How long ago did you use that poker deck john?
January of this year.
dazzleguts
White Whale: Das Kartenspiel Des Oberdeutsc
Decks Owned: 885

Unread post by dazzleguts »

So either they are making some junk decks for the low-end market, they had a bad run, or, like with so many huge companies, the original people behind the quality are no longer there and those who are left are just out to get what they can using that good rep and the lowest possible bottom line.
Worldwide Time Machine

"Cards from far off lands and bygone days!"
alric
Cardist: Yes

Unread post by alric »

That's interesting. Carta Mundi may not utilize the best finish in the world (that title goes to USPC), but I felt their card stock was always high quality and lasts a long time. While they may not fan well, they handled pretty well in all other areas and are durable.

If your target audience is cardists, you pretty much have to go with USPC if you want your decks to be well received. Cardists (and magicians to a lesser degree) require that additional element of handling that only the USPC seem to be able to provide with their Air-Cushion/Magic finish. But if your target audience is collectors, where card manipulation isn't a priority, then Carta Mundi should be an acceptable substitute.
Evan

Unread post by Evan »

I'ev only handled a few Cartamundi decks, and they all handled terribly. I definitely prefer USPCC.
zsalman

Unread post by zsalman »

Okay, so that's quite a few votes against Cartamundi.

As to who the target audience is, I'd like to have this deck appeal to as wide an audience as possible, so I definitely don't want to handicap it right from the outset by using a manufacturer that isn't highly regarded, or worse, poorly regarded. I just wish USPCC wasn't so conservative, but then again, I grew up in Kentucky so I can understand. ;-) Are there any other playing card manufacturers that would be on par with the quality of USPCC?

I'll have to see about structuring the artwork in a way that fits their content restrictions and make sure there aren't any of the models' steamy bits showing in the final images.

Of course, there's always the option of making a tarot deck instead. ;-)

Zaid
DukeBoy
Decks Owned: 100

Unread post by DukeBoy »

zsalman wrote:Okay, so that's quite a few votes against Cartamundi.
Are there any other playing card manufacturers that would be on par with the quality of USPCC?
On Par might be a little strong but I have liked the finish and handleing of the decks that Bent Castle has put out. The boxes do not indicate who the print house is but you can attempt to contact them through their web page
http://www.bentcastle.com
or their email
info@bentcastle.com
10-4 over and out