Playing Card Deck Plastic Hanger Tab

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
MJF

Playing Card Deck Plastic Hanger Tab

Unread post by MJF »

What's your take on those adhesive plastic tabs on card decks used to hang them in retail shelves? Does it really matter from a collecting point? Is there an easy way to remove them without damaging the underlying cellophane wrapping?

Just curious...
New Collector 83

Re: Playing Card Deck Plastic Hanger Tab

Unread post by New Collector 83 »

For me I can just pull them off with no damage done. There will be some sticky residue stuff on the back but no damage still
Sharpie

Unread post by Sharpie »

I personally hate them.
But instead of having them leave a sticky residue, I tend to slice the hanger off and leave the stuck portion.
Not perfect, but better than the alternative.

I'd be interested in "sticky stuff" removal methods like "Goo Gone", but they don't seem to work that well.
No matter where you go... there you are :|
anep

Unread post by anep »

i just pull them off using the same method as the deck seal

phantom1412

Unread post by phantom1412 »

I hate those too. I slice the top half out and leave the bottom part cause I don't wanna damage the cellophane.
MJF

Unread post by MJF »

I'm going to try pulling them off one of the lesser value decks and see if the sticky glue comes off the cellophane with rubbing alcohol... I'll post how it goes...
dazzleguts
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
White Whale: Das Kartenspiel Des Oberdeutsc
Decks Owned: 885

Unread post by dazzleguts »

Try baby oil. That usually works for me as long as the surface is plastic and will not absorb the oil. But, the baby oil I have is old stuff I got from an elderly woman so the newer b oil may actually be less harmful to babies and less effective on adhesive.

You're lucky to have cellophane between the deck and the tab. My mail ordered Bicycle Eco decks arrived with tabs directly on the plain paper boxes. Since the Eco deck boxes have a matte paper surface there was no possibility of getting the tabs off without ruining the boxes. I cut them down as close as I could. :|
Worldwide Time Machine

"Cards from far off lands and bygone days!"
MJF

Unread post by MJF »

Yeah, these were fine fortunately... they were my three Bicycle Hemp decks and there was absolutely minimal deformation in the cellophane. No residue left - didn't even have to use rubbing alcohol, so I lucked out on that one.

Yeah, I ordered a Eco deck as well... I've destroyed the box, so I just opened it... it's a nice deck. But that tuck box cardboard doesn't last long and tears on the edges quite easily... I'm going to have to hunt down a deck in pristine condition and get it in a plastic wrapper.
DukeBoy
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Decks Owned: 100

Unread post by DukeBoy »

dazzleguts wrote:You're lucky to have cellophane between the deck and the tab. My mail ordered Bicycle Eco decks arrived with tabs directly on the plain paper boxes. Since the Eco deck boxes have a matte paper surface there was no possibility of getting the tabs off without ruining the boxes. I cut them down as close as I could. :|
MJF wrote:Yeah, I ordered a Eco deck as well... I've destroyed the box, so I just opened it... it's a nice deck. But that tuck box cardboard doesn't last long and tears on the edges quite easily... I'm going to have to hunt down a deck in pristine condition and get it in a plastic wrapper.
I don't think the Eco deck will come with a wrapper as part of the marketing campain (less packaging is better for the enviroment because it would end up in a landfill) of course we would not take it off but the general public would.
10-4 over and out
MJF

Unread post by MJF »

Whoops, sorry, I meant get a deck in pristine condition, rush home and then put a wrapper on the deck... I've got these cool "playing card deck" sleeves I picked up from a collector store that I put on all my decks - including the ones with cellophane - to protect them as much as possible.

:)