UC KS Watchdogs (A strategy for tracking delays)

Anything and everything playing cards!
DragonSoul
Collector: Yes

Re: A strategy for dealing with deadbeat Kickstarters

Unread post by DragonSoul »

My list is the same with a few additions:

September - Hawaiian... I finally got a response to my messages a week ago and Gavin promised he would send them out the next day. Hopefully, they'll land in my mailbox today. However, I still didn't get a tracking # so we'll see.

December - Three Amigos... per last update they were on the way from EPCC. Expected shipping will be mid-late May?

March - Defunctorum Cruor and Chess... per last update shipping completed 4/30. Hopefully they'll arrive today or tomorrow.

April - RongoRongo3... per last update USPCC should ship to them this week so expected shipping will be mid-late May.

April - Noble... per last update decks arrived so shipping this week.

April - Different (green)... currently shipping but, I haven't received mine yet. Again, maybe today?

May - Retro Deck (white)... per last update on track for shipping by late May.

May - No.17... in production with USPCC. Estimated early-mid June.

May - Love is... cards arrived 4/24 with incorrect tuck embossing. Some backers have chosen to accept them but, I chose to wait for corrected tucks.
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin
Player: Yes
White Whale: OG USPCC Vanity Fair [mint]
Decks Owned: 7800

Unread post by Mike Ratledge »

Let's go ahead and say that just about anybody who has tried to coordinate two companies in production has been double hosed because one or the other bit them in the arse.

My advice of late to project management people has been to take their most reasonable estimate and add two months. Nobody gripes if decks get there early...
>Mike<
"You can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself"
They say "Ignorance is bliss". Obviously, some people are much happier than others...

Members are encouraged to
Show Us Your Cards!

Our UC2021 Decks entitled
"Odd Fellows"
by Lorenzo Gaggiotti / @Stockholm17
Coming soon: AKA
«Eighth Annual Decks»

UC members help maintain Portfolio52
THE Playing Card Database Online
Contact ecNate for details and access

UC2019 "Seventh Annual Decks"
by Montenzi Design
Funded 207% on KS: HERE

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

Insert disclaimer here...
All information posted as fact is accurate at the time of posting to the best of my knowledge.
JacksonRobinson
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer
White Whale: Hermes 2 Deck Set
Decks Owned: 78623

Unread post by JacksonRobinson »

I always allow for 14 weeks (no matter who is printing my decks) from the end of the project. Any thing less you are asking for trouble and to deliver late.
cherrynukacola

Unread post by cherrynukacola »

As it's June here and I've had a couple of complications this month, I thought I'd share how I'm doing with my card kickstarters:

Due in Feb:
Titanic - Shipped
Dark Venexianna - Printed, sailing to port

Due in March:
Rongo Rongo - Shipped
Feudal Ninja/Samurai - Cards received, but missing cardguards ordered. Last I heard, they are waiting on receiving some more so that they can send them on to me.
The Coven - Printed, sailing to port

Due in April:
Grimoire - Because of mismanagement of inventory, I will no longer be receiving the painted deck I add-on. Was offered coins, black, additional Grimoire deck or refund in compensation - I chose refund, still haven't received that. Other decks are in process of being shipped.
Memento - waiting to print

Due in May:
Icons - reprinting
Spirit - Waiting on black decks, sailing to port
Retro - Waiting to print

Due in June:
Vintage Vampire - Art submitted

How are the rest of you doing?
rousselle
Site Admin
Site Admin
Magician: Yes

Unread post by rousselle »

Well, as cherrynukacola points out above... it's time to update for June!

As of my post last month, I was expecting a whopping 17 Kickstarter decks that had been previously expected to ship in November, January, February, March, April, or May.

While I didn't receive nearly half that many, I did, nonetheless, receive quite a few. Originally-anticipated-to-deliver-in-January's Coat of Arms deck (and coin) arrived this past month, and while the cards were good, the coin was great. The Titanic decks (February) and Civil Unrest: Gettysburg (May) arrived together, and RJ's design work remains top notch. I haven't done so, yet, but I still plan to comment in their respective threads about these cards, because they deserve some attention (Titanic being printed by two different printers and Gettysburg by a third, which provides a rich opportunity for comparison). Delerium (April) knocked it out of the proverbial park, far exceeding my expectations. Uusi Classic (May), like Gettysburg, arrived right on time and, frankly, I enjoyed these more than I expected to, as well. Uusi sets the bar very high, and this design didn't excite me as much as some of their previous efforts during the pledge phase, but in person? Awesome.

That's five KS projects I received in May, which really did make it an enjoyable month for me (especially when combined with the shiny Bicycle foil decks, etc.)

So, here's the list of KS projects I am eagerly anticipating that had originally projected ship dates from as far back as last November up through this month (June). Notice I'm adding only one to the list for this month:
  • Malam (November) -- As of May 10th, Michael reported that the cards were printed as of the week before and ready to leave the factory. That would imply that they should arrive in the US right about now, if they haven't already, and that shipping should begin before too long.
  • Mana Playing Cards No 3 (January) -- At the end of April, Erik reported that the tuck boxes are now in production, with shipping those to the factory for final assembly, and then shipping to North America to follow.
  • Venexiana Dark (February) -- As of May 27th, the decks are already on their way to Chicago from Taiwan. Shipping should begin by the end of this month.
  • The Coven (March) -- As of May 24th, printing was nearing completion and slated to start it's boat-ride to the US by May 27th. So, shipping to backers should hopefully also commence by the end of this month.
  • Grimoire (April) -- As of May 30th, shipping to backers has commenced!
  • Memento (April) -- As of May 25th, printing is slated to begin near the end of June, and fulfillment is expected to begin in mid-July.
  • Whispering Imps Gamesters (May) -- As of an update from May 19th, revisions to the artwork pushed printing to the end of May; fulfillment is now expected in July.
  • Whispering Imps Gamesters Limited Edition (May) -- Ditto.
  • Mardi Gras (May) -- As of an update on May 19th, Dave was still awaiting physical proofs to approve before printing could begin (which was to happen by end of May). As such, fulfillment is most likely to happen in July.
  • Bicycle Spirit (May) -- As of May 21st, USPCC decks are in, while EPCC decks were about to start the month-long boat ride to North America.
  • Icons Imperial Edition (May) -- Lotrek is aiming for perfection here, and the foiling process produced some undesired artifacts, so he is having the decks reprinted. He currently anticipates that the decks will be completed in June.
  • Spectrum 52 and Spectrum Edge (May) -- There was a color problem for one of the cards on one of the decks, and since the colors of the backs is the whole point of this deck, this has led to a slight delay. Cosmo currently anticipates fulfillment in June.
  • US ARMY (June) -- Jackson reports that printing is complete, and fulfillment will commence once he has settled into his new digs in Austin, TX. Final delivery is still anticipated to be right on time in June.
I'll repeat a recurring theme: may of these decks that have delays are being given a great deal of vocal support from backers where the project creators are doing a good job of communicating the delays and the reasons behind them. Most backers (myself included) really do want to see the project creators' visions realized rather than compromised to hit an arbitrary deadline. That said, in a couple of cases, the lack of stellar communication is also leading the backers to start to grumble about those projects. Communication really is key.

I'll also note that while many of these projects are being delayed so that they can live up to the exacting standards of their creators, we are again seeing an increasing amount of the delays being attributable to an incredible backlog at the printer for EPCC/LPCC. This really is too bad; I find myself favoring their decks, and if these delays continue, I'm guessing fewer decks going forward will be EPCC/LPCC.

While several of the decks on my list above are slated to arrive this month, quite a few of them are also currently anticipated for July delivery. Let the summer of playing cards commence!

What are the rest of y'all experiencing with regard to your KS projects?
This space intentionally left blank.
cosmicsecret
Cardist: Yes
Decks Owned: 140

Unread post by cosmicsecret »

Well i have recieved most of my KS Projects which i have participated with - only missing ones are ;
Venexiana Dark , Mana Sybil , Spirit decks and the Cthulhu decks from Shawn.
I decided to move out of Kickstarter backing since i will be able to pick up the decks later from the retailers at LOWER cost plus big savings on shippings and customs fees.
In example the Feudal Ninja and Samuari decks, can grab them now for 25% less then i paid on kickstarter without any waits/delays.
nECr0MaNCeD
Decks Owned: 677

Unread post by nECr0MaNCeD »

All of mine are already detailed above except Elements from Alien (ST)Ink. I tracked down the artist he used (Literally) and sent him a message via FB. It seems he hasn't been fully paid either. (Surprise) It had been two months without an update and a couple days after I sent the message to the artist a message magically appeared. Same exact update as the last, which is to say BS. So he has at least three decks partially or totally unfulfilled. The Wine deck still has backers grumbling about no rewards and Elements as well as the Flowers Infinity Edition.
If it's too loud.... you're too old!
DragonSoul

I crossed off an amazing 12 (and a half) Kickstarters from my list in May! :ugdance:
Three Amigos
Coat of Arms
Titanic
Defunctorum Cruor
Chess
RongoRongo 3
Delirium
Noble
Different (green)
Classic
Gettysburg
Love is...

The half was Hawaiian. I pledged for a special brick which included their previous 8-bit decks. 1 year after funding and 8 months past the due date I finally received my pledge but, 4 decks were incorrect. I am currently waiting on the correct decks. :evil:

My list of anticipated decks (from oldest due date to newest) is:
Malam
Mana Sybil
Venexiana Dark
The Coven
Grimoire Series
Memento
Gamesters & Gamesters LE
Mardi Gras
Icons Imperial
Spirit
Retro (white)
No. 17
Spectrum 52 & Edge

June due dates are:
Monster Pin Up Girls
Vintage Vampires
Army
Leonardo
Love is a Smoke

I'm one of those folks who usually get 1 - 3 decks of any given design so I'm not out lots of money if any fails to deliver but, I can say that right now I'm not really worried about any of them. I feel extremely confident that all of these will deliver.
rousselle
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have the No. 17 deck anticipated in July. You have it listed as already being expected to ship. Are we talking about the same No. 17 on Kickstarter?
badpete69
Decks Owned: 1500

Unread post by badpete69 »

I think you guys should change the title of this thread as you are tracking projects that are by no means late like the NO 17 deck. Calling Lorenzo a deadbeat how dare you hehehe... Or start a new thread that tracks projects or something
DragonSoul

rousselle wrote:I have the No. 17 deck anticipated in July. You have it listed as already being expected to ship. Are we talking about the same No. 17 on Kickstarter?
Oops. You are correct. Not sure how I managed to get the wrong date in my spreadsheet. :oops:

badpete69 wrote:I think you guys should change the title of this thread as you are tracking projects that are by no means late like the NO 17 deck. Calling Lorenzo a deadbeat how dare you hehehe... Or start a new thread that tracks projects or something
Hmmm, it has evolved somewhat hasn't it? I suppose I see it now as a watchdog thread. For me it's because there have been so many past due to keep track of and yet, I wouldn't classify any of the more recent projects as deadbeat. The only ones I have that truly fall into that category are The Type Deck and Alice of Wonderland but, we've gone over and over those. Those are in the Hall of Shame now.

If you think it should be split off it probably would make more sense to have a different title.
rousselle
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: KS Watchdogs (was: A strategy for dealing w/deadbeats)

I took a stab at a new title.

Boo-ya.
volantangel
Decks Owned: 350

Re: KS Watchdogs (was: A strategy for dealing w/deadbeats)

Unread post by volantangel »

rousselle wrote:I took a stab at a new title.

Boo-ya.
Its one better now, I made it a sticky thread, I think it definitely deserves it.
Lotrek
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Re: UC KS Watchdogs (was: A strategy for dealing w/deadbeats

Unread post by Lotrek »

It hurts so much to see my Venexiana Dark in the list... But the truth is that it is outrageously delayed. :evil:
"Bite more than you can chew and then chew it"

----------------------------------------------------------
fb: https://www.facebook.com/oathplayingcards/
twitter:@OathPCC
rousselle
Site Admin
Site Admin

Lotrek,

I have absolutely no doubts whatsoever that your decks will be worth the wait.

I've already started talking framing options with my favorite local frame shop for the uncuts.

You keep your backers in the loop; you show us what is happening, and what you're doing. As with some of the other projects I've backed, I consider these works of art. If the artist needs a little more time to realize his vision, and communicates accordingly with his patrons, then all is good.

:-)
volantangel
Decks Owned: 350

Unread post by volantangel »

Ive never for a second doubted Lotrek, but rather i simply cant wait =D
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin

On the other side of the coin, unless something truly bizarre happens, Lorenzo will deliver Bicycle N°17 a month earlier than projected. Good planning!
>Mike<
They say "Ignorance is bliss". Obviously, some people are much happier than others...

Show Us Your Cards!

"Odd Fellows"
«Eighth Annual Decks»

by Montenzi Design

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

All information posted as fact is accurate at the time of posting to the best of my knowledge.
rousselle
Site Admin
Site Admin

Mike Ratledge wrote:On the other side of the coin, unless something truly bizarre happens, Lorenzo will deliver Bicycle N°17 a month earlier than projected. Good planning!
This is an interesting point. There are several KS projects I've backed that never get any visibility on this thread because they ship *early* rather than "on time" or later. I offer a tip of my proverbial hat to them all.
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

rousselle wrote:
Mike Ratledge wrote:On the other side of the coin, unless something truly bizarre happens, Lorenzo will deliver Bicycle N°17 a month earlier than projected. Good planning!
This is an interesting point. There are several KS projects I've backed that never get any visibility on this thread because they ship *early* rather than "on time" or later. I offer a tip of my proverbial hat to them all.
Maybe we can have a Hall of Fame too?
- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki
DragonSoul

I like that idea. I note those who delivered on-time or early. Also those who go the extra mile (delayed or not) - in quality, communication, customer service, etc... :)
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin

I am all for a thread on KS decks done right. The other side of the coin from this discussion is groups like Uusi who always delivered on time and true artists like Lotrek who keep is tight in the loop so we know what is going on instead of all the BS we get from a lot of people who are here in this thread.
>Mike<

Show Us Your Cards!

"Odd Fellows"
«Eighth Annual Decks»

by Montenzi Design

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

Cbkimble
Decks Owned: 363

Unread post by Cbkimble »

I haven't updated in a while so here's my current lists.

Here's what I have received
-----------------------------------------------------------------
I'm still waiting on these
- Seasons (December)
- Black Book Manifesto (January)
- Choice
- Bicycle Titanic Playing Cards
- Fishing for Compliments
- Tendril Ascendent & Nightfall
- Grimoire series part 1
- Delirium
- Scarlet Tall Ho
- Different Deck Greenback Edition
- Gettysburn Playing Cards
- US ARMY playing cards

Here's what I'm currently waiting on:
--------------------------------------------------------
- Call of Cthulu Writhing Dark (August) - last update they were 60% shipped
- Malam (November)- Malam (November) - started shipping today
- Mana Playing Cards No 3 (January) - Tuck boxes complete and on their way to Taiwan
- Venexiana Dark (February) - Decks should be at the fulfillment center or very close.
- The Coven (March) - Decks should be there by today
- ICONS Imperial Edition (May) - Awaiting decks
- Spirit Playing Cards (May) - Awaiting decks from EPCC
- Mardi Gras Playing Cards - Approved printing June 1
- Spectrum 52 & Spectrum EDGE Playing Cards - Awaiting Decks from USPCC
- Monster Pin Up Girls Playing Cards (June) - Delivering rewards now
Lotrek
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Lotrek »

The first batch of Venexiana dark was sent out today. At least this is what I'm told. :)
"Bite more than you can chew and then chew it"

----------------------------------------------------------
fb: https://www.facebook.com/oathplayingcards/
twitter:@OathPCC
EvanEssence

Unread post by EvanEssence »

Sweet! I can't remember if I preordered any though...
Here's my collection of sealed decks only. PM me if interested.

http://www.portfolio52.com/collection/263/images/custom" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rousselle
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well, as Cbkimble pointed out over a week ago... it's time to update for July!

As of my post last month, I had been anticipating 13 Kickstarter decks that had been previously expected to ship in November, January, February, March, April, May, and June.

While I didn't receive them all (as usual), I did receive a few of my KS-backed projects. Grimoire (originally expected in April) arrived this past month, as did the US Army deck (which arrived in the originally targeted month of June). A few other KS projects arrived ahead of schedule: No. 17, Delicious, and Moku Hanga all arrived ahead of schedule.

That's five KS projects I received in June.

So, here's the list of KS projects I am eagerly anticipating that had originally projected ship dates from as far back as last November up through this month (July). Notice I'm adding a whopping seven to the list for this month:
  • Malam (November) -- As of June 30th, "Card's are being packaged up, and will start shipping." Nobody has posted comments yet that they have received their decks yet, so I assume this is taking longer than originally expected.
  • Mana Playing Cards No 3 (January) -- The most recent update, June 8th, said that the tuck boxes were completed, so now they needed to be shipped to Taiwan, where the decks still had to be produced and then the packages assembled. Radio silence since then.
  • Venexiana Dark (February) -- Shipping has begun, and UC members are already reporting receiving their decks.
  • The Coven (March) -- Decks have made it to the fulfillment company, and shipping should commence soon.
  • Memento (April) -- Survey was sent out at the end of June, but it didn't ask about add-ons. At last word, shipping was expected to commence in mid-July.
  • Whispering Imps Gamesters (May) -- As of July 1st, shipping is expected to begin in the second half of the month and be completed by August 1st.
  • Whispering Imps Gamesters Limited Edition (May) -- Ditto.
  • Mardi Gras (May) -- As of an update on June 1st, the paper proofs had arrived, were about to be approved, and then production was set to begin. Printing was expected to be completed in early July, and then the decks shipped to the US shortly thereafter.
  • Bicycle Spirit (May) -- As of July 6th, a tuck box issue is delaying production at EPCC by a week, but shipping from Taiwan to the US has been expedited, and these should reach GW within a week or two.
  • Icons Imperial Edition (May) -- Registration issues are requiring another partial-reprint, but fulfillment appears to be not that far away. The "Trial" print run is expected to ship at the same time as the official project decks.
  • Spectrum 52 and Spectrum Edge (May) -- An update on June 3rd simply indicated that USPCC was running a little late (because the original art file had to be re-visited), and that production may be 4-6 weeks out from that time.
  • Arcana (July) -- Proofs are approved and printing at USPCC is expected to be completed by the end of July.
  • Exploding Kittens (July) -- This is not a conventional deck of cards, but I'm listing it anyway. Shipping is expected to roll by the end of the month.
  • BOWL-A-RAMA (July) -- As of July 6th, fulfillment is expected to stay on target for this month.
  • Werewolf (July) -- Tucks are in, and USPCC production was expected to begin at end of June/beginning of July.
  • Joker and the Thief (July) -- EPCC tells the project creators that the decks are in production *now*.
  • Impressions Metallic Foil (July) -- As of July 2nd, production was imminent.
  • Glow-in-the-dark Cosmic Lanes (July) -- See BOWL-A-RAMA above.
If all eighteen of these KS projects were to arrive in the month of July (which we all know is simply not going to happen), my inner card nerd would be drowning in drool. There are also a number of non-Kickstarter decks I expect to see this month: there's the Hive 2 project from King's Wild, a new deck released through Conjuring Arts, and new releases being teased by Shop Bicycle, to name a few. All in all, I expect these next couple of months to provide a lot of happiness at the mailbox. That said... I'm starting to feel a little strung out waiting for some of these decks -- especially from project creators who don't bother to keep backers in the loop.

What are the rest of y'all experiencing with regard to your KS projects?
CostlyAxis

Unread post by CostlyAxis »

Besides the ones listed by rousselle, I'm waiting on the following projects:
  • Metal Playing Cards: Titanium, Brass, & Copper (April) - Orders were to go out on 6/25, but I have yet to see anything indicating they have, and no one is reporting to have received them.
    This one arrived!
  • Collectors Bicycle® Playing Cards Deck (May) - Decks are printed; no update on when they'll actually ship.
    This one arrived!
  • The Triangles Prototype playing cards - BEE stock by USPC (May) - Has shipped with some backers indicating to have received them, but at this time I have yet to.
With so many projects getting delayed it's becoming hard for me to justify backing new ones. :(
Bikefanatic
Decks Owned: 333

Unread post by Bikefanatic »

For Those who care, the Bicycle Fireworks have been shipped. :lol: Btw, they do make great looking fans.
"When I like something, I buy. No matter who did it, how many were printed or how many (re)colors exist.

When I don't like something, I pass. No matter who did it, how many were printed or how many (re)colors exist."

-Lotrek

*MY PORTFOLIO52 PROFILE https://portfolio52.com/profile/26674

* MY SELLER REVIEW viewtopic.php?f=28&t=16586
tylergo

Unread post by tylergo »

I am just curious if anyone has a limit of how many cards they are expecting before the stop pledging? I was just looking and it is a little gut wrenching to think of how many decks I am waiting on. I am currently waiting on 67 decks from KS pledges. :(
Cbkimble
Decks Owned: 363

Unread post by Cbkimble »

tylergo wrote:I am just curious if anyone has a limit of how many cards they are expecting before the stop pledging? I was just looking and it is a little gut wrenching to think of how many decks I am waiting on. I am currently waiting on 67 decks from KS pledges. :(
Is that 67 different decks or total combined between pledges?
nECr0MaNCeD
Decks Owned: 677

Unread post by nECr0MaNCeD »

The only two I am still waiting for that Rousselle didn't list are Call of Cthulhu: The Writhing Dark and Elements. While I believe I'll get Call of Cthulhu: The Writhing Dark someday, I gave up hope of ever seeing Elements long ago.

I found the Alien Ink Facebook page. Oddly there were no negative comments or complaints from the backers of the four outstanding projects he has. I left one and found out why. He blocks the person who made them and once he does the comments disappear. He did send one of his trademark rude replies. I do possess the knowledge and skills to get around his silly block, I won't because it isn't worth the time and effort. I got a letter from the California Attorney General that said the tried contacting him and since he didn't reply they were dropping the matter. I hope they pursue murderers better than this.
If it's too loud.... you're too old!