Accessories to Kickstarter Projects

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
SeanWhelan
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Accessories to Kickstarter Projects

Unread post by SeanWhelan »

Hey Guys,
Now that Kickstarter is starting to become familiar with the general public, a lot more projects are being launched as well as being funded. We've seen custom dice, t-shirts, coins etc as accessories to playing card projects. I'm interested what else would you guys love to see?

Thanks!
Sean Whelan
3D Artist
Creator/Designer of Bicycle Galvanic Playing Cards

Be Sure To Like My Facebook pages!:
Galvanic: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Galvanic ... =bookmarks
Lucent: https://www.facebook.com/LucentPlayingC ... =bookmarks
Russell

Re: Accessories to Kickstarter Projects

Unread post by Russell »

Less shitty decks!

(not yours obviously!)
Ryric

Unread post by Ryric »

"I collect cards not [strike]tuck boxes[/strike] accessories?"

I don't think I have or will ever really pledge for accessories. Art prints, uncut sheets, a collectable box to hold the deck or a clip perhaps. Anything else is just clutter on the kickstarter page, and makes my head hurt when I try to figure out my pledge.
DukeBoy
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Decks Owned: 100

Unread post by DukeBoy »

Ryric wrote: I don't think I have or will ever really pledge for accessories. Art prints, uncut sheets, a collectable box to hold the deck or a clip perhaps. Anything else is just clutter on the kickstarter page, and makes my head hurt when I try to figure out my pledge.
I would have to agree with this. If a really cool card cover came out then I would think about that b/c I like to rotate my covers. I currently have 3 that I switch between during my weekly game.
10-4 over and out
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
Cardist: Yes
Magician: Yes
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

Ryric wrote:"I collect cards not [strike]tuck boxes[/strike] accessories?"

I don't think I have or will ever really pledge for accessories. Art prints, uncut sheets, a collectable box to hold the deck or a clip perhaps. Anything else is just clutter on the kickstarter page, and makes my head hurt when I try to figure out my pledge.
I mostly agree with this. Only once in a blue moon do I pledge for anything else than the cards, and when I do it's only small stuff like a dice set or chip sample set.

One thing I really like though is chips or coins that match the cards, since I manipulate them as well (knuckle roll in one hand and one handed cuts in the other is always a big hit :D). My Mechanics coins are still being used excessively.
- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki
neongrey

Unread post by neongrey »

I think it's fun to have extra things but it occurs now that I don't really buy them unless I love them. Art prints are good if your deck is particularly focused on the art or illustration (uncuts don't do it for me, though obviously others like them quite a lot). I mean really it depends-- I think it has to fit the project. If it's well-fitting it can make a kickstarter unique and more than just a fancy pre-order. But they can easily fall flat, too.
walrus

Unread post by walrus »

Russell wrote:Less shitty decks!

(not yours obviously!)
Actually, at this point I would like to see less decks period.
max
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Unread post by max »

I personally like the chips and dice, although they have to be really close to the deck design. I loved the Ornate chips and I wish to see the Quicksilver and Army Men dice (specially the Army men that is more "custom-made".

I like uncuts, but not sure why, as they are insanely expensive and difficult to use for decoration unless you have a huge space in your walls. So they all are in tubes and I am not sure how to enjoy them more...

Best wishes

Max
alric
Cardist: Yes

Unread post by alric »

I think uncut sheets are the biggest scam out there for the prices these things usually go for. It doesn't cost USPC any additional cost to produce them, in fact, they save a step in the manufacturing process. I understand cost comes from shipping due to the form factor, but a custom deck costs anywhere from $5-$10 and they come in a tuck box, but an uncut sheet (which is the identical thing except its not cut and doesn't come with a tuck box) cost 3-4 times that cost.

As for accessories I'd like to see, I want more display options such as: More card clips in unique materials (woods, metals, leather, carbon fiber, plexiglass, etc...) More display racks or easels. More custom brick boxes in 6 deck as well as 12 deck configurations. More card presses.
neongrey

Unread post by neongrey »

I didn't go for it but I liked the little frame thing the Bohemia deck had.
malanthrax

Unread post by malanthrax »

max wrote:I personally like the chips and dice, although they have to be really close to the deck design. I loved the Ornate chips and I wish to see the Quicksilver and Army Men dice (specially the Army men that is more "custom-made".
Best wishes

Max
Chips and dice for me as well. Those kinds of things grab me. One thing I am not a fan of is sort of just hot stamping a chip and saying "look how custom we are" For many of the extras I can tell if they have taken that extra step and if they have and it fits the deck I am all over it.
I am a sucker for boxes myself. I love custom stuff that is also useful for something and a custom box fits that especially if they look amazing.