Bicycle Urban Punk - Kickstarter Complete -- Now Shipping

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
badpete69
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Decks Owned: 1500

Bicycle Urban Punk - Kickstarter Complete -- Now Shipping

Unread post by badpete69 »

elcyciB

Re: Rebel Rules & Urban Punk Bicycle Decks now on Kickstarte

Unread post by elcyciB »

What in the hell?
neongrey

Unread post by neongrey »

Huh. That's an interesting look. Definitely out of the ordinary. But fifteen-- nineteen for me-- dollars just to get the deck? I'm not that interested by it.
badpete69

Actually Neon it is more than that. You cannot buy it seems the urban deck alone but you can buy that card game Rebel Rules. To get just the urban punk deck you would need to buy 2 for 25$ on that duo reward
Russell

Unread post by Russell »

Our Motto: Stick it to the man and have fun while doing it! Leave your mark. Show your character. Break the norm. Be different. Be unique.
Manufactured by USPCC, the largest card maker. Payed the extra money to have it say Bicycle, also.
and
Blatantly uses stock art and Banksy imagery, the most commercial "underground" artist.

Charging $15 (+7 intl shipping) for one deck is completely opposite of what those street artists would do and is 'unpunk' as can be. Cash grab.
neongrey

Blurgh. It's too bad because if it was actually reasonably priced I'd probably nibble. Oh well, their loss.
rulerebelcards

Unread post by rulerebelcards »

Thanks for posting our Urban Punk deck on unitedcardists and for catching the missing pledge option. There was suppose to be two pledge options at $15, one for the Urban Punk deck and one for the Rule Rebel game, but somehow it got deleted during editing. We’ve fixed this and updated the project so it now includes a $15 pledge option for the Urban Punk deck only. Thanks again for catching this.

Thanks for the support and feedback! The Urban Punk deck is a fun adaptation to the standard index bicycle cards where we applied different subculture themes to the cards using a Stencil Style Graffiti technique as inspiration. Each card and the tuck box have been individually created from scratch. Each face card features a subculture theme, ranging from Emo and Cyberpunk, to Punk Rock and a DJ King of Clubs. While we aren’t professional underground graffiti artists, we found inspiration for this deck in the technique and works of art by artists like Banksy.

Check out our project page for examples of how we convert photos into stencil-like graffiti images as our attempt to apply the same look. We used this same technique on the tuck box, Ace of Spades and other cards/rewards.

We hope others find fun in the punk adaptation of the bicycle deck we created and the Rule Rebel card game we developed.
Cheers!
Sara and Scott
Evan

Unread post by Evan »

I really like the look of these decks. It's a very unique deck. I just wish we could buy the deck without having to buy the game thing.
badpete69

Evan you can buy just the deck. It was an omission by the project creator
Evan

Unread post by Evan »

Oh, I didn't realize that. But why so expensive? $15 for 1 deck?!
Encarded
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Encarded »

Evan wrote:Oh, I didn't realize that. But why so expensive? $15 for 1 deck?!
<cough>misc goods deck<cough>

Charge $15 and make meeeeeellions!!!
Paul Carpenter
Designer - http://encarded.com

Radia | Celestial | Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall / Standards / Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out
Russell

Unread post by Russell »

$15 will not be the new standard for pricing from CCCC. That's just terrible. I don't see any other decks with a $15 (plus $7 intl shipping) getting funded anytime soon.
Aaron

Unread post by Aaron »

interesting for sure but not reasonably priced at all, these have some potential but at that price no one will be backing this.
cosmicsecret
Cardist: Yes
Magician: Yes
Decks Owned: 140

Unread post by cosmicsecret »

It is a interessting design to me.I like the courtcards being "urbanized" and the back design is not bad either.
The Point were i lose interest in is the pricing.
I backed the Misc Goods Deck only because i wanted one of those Ace of Clubs Tshirts.
Thats why i jumped the gun and pledged.

Well i would go for the Bicycle deck if its $12incl shipping to germany. ;-)
Strag
White Whale: None
Decks Owned: 0

Unread post by Strag »

cosmicsecret wrote:Well i would go for the Bicycle deck if its $12incl shipping to germany. ;-)
You can now get 2 Decks for $32 shipped international but a) that's far too much and b) I highly doubt this will get funded at the pace and pricing it is on.

I normally buy 2 Decks if I can get them for around $10 shipped. Sometimes will go up to 6 if the pricing is right and I really like the deck. This deck... it's interesting, but never at the price.

I am currently on the Pedale for 5 decks and a shirt because I think it's unusual but I very well may back out in the next hour or two. I don't have confidence he will pull it off and it's going to be far from a rare deck (at least 10K printed). In fact, I just talked myself out of the pledge. :)
walrus

Unread post by walrus »

I live near several major cities. I would actually pay money NOT to see this kind of art. Every f 'in day of my life.
Eyeball

Unread post by Eyeball »

I like some aspects of this deck, enough to pledge however as others have stated the price level is causing me to withhold for now.
twiscold

Unread post by twiscold »

I guess these guys are not targeting the magician/cardistry group
MJF

Unread post by MJF »

I'm not too thrilled with the cover of the box, as that's what the little brats who destroyed downtown Seattle during the May riots looked like...
I initially had $25 pledged to get the two different decks, but I don't think that one is going anywhere... so I withdrew my pledge... then again, we could see another Black Tie incident...
DukeBoy
Decks Owned: 100

Unread post by DukeBoy »

Howdy
Here is what I had to say on the project comments section:

"Although I understand that the creation cost would be double for the creation of both your game and the Bike deck which would increase your Goal amount. the Per deck charge should not be effected as the production cost of my one, two , three , ... would still be the same. the other KS decks have goals from around 9K-13K to produce 1 deck so your goal of just over 29K for 2 with the added need to produce shirts hats and bottle openers, etc is understandable. But at the end of the day the deck still cost you $1-$5 to print (or whatever price point you got from USPCC). Your comment that "Therefore, our project includes both a game AND a deck of playing cards which means our project costs include the fees, production costs, and shipping for not just one playing card deck but also for our game, essentially doubling the production costs that most single deck projects have." would be true if I was getting both decks, but we are paying $15 for the one deck, $25 for two, and$30 for three; based on the descriptions you have in your pledge amounts"

I get that the original goal must be higher to get all of it done but the pricing still needs to match market value which for KS is at most $10 a deck.

Scott
10-4 over and out
MJF

Unread post by MJF »

Yup, the only decks that can command a premium like that are totally custom and have a natural elegance and design to them that makes you want them, like Pedale Design deck... though the more you buy from him, the cheaper it got ($11/deck for me).

$15 outright per deck, for something that even I can pull off using Photoshop... not worthy of my money. :|
DukeBoy
Decks Owned: 100

Unread post by DukeBoy »

I just recieved this email through Kickstarter from the creators
Hi Scott,

We wanted to keep you in the loop! We have just hit the 1st week mark and have learned a lot. We wanted to reach out to let you know that we are releasing the Urban Punk deck as its own Kickstarter project. We have taken all suggestions and feedback into consideration and have decided to put the development of the Rule Rebel game on hold for now in order to provide the Urban Punk playing card deck at a lower goal and pledge structure as requested by our backers. We wanted to reach out to thank you for your initial support and feedback with our 1st project and felt we should keep you in the loop on this update. It has been a busy couple of days on executing this new update and seeing if it is feasible. It was a tough decision to put the Rule Rebel game on hold but we do feel based on our backers feedback that a refocus was in order. We are currently waiting for approval from Kickstarter. Keep your eye out for the official update from us once we get approval. Thanks again for your involvement in our 1st Kickstarter!

UnCommon Beat
I am hopeful that this will come back out and be a better fit for me and others.

Scott
10-4 over and out
CBJ
Decks Owned: 2000

Unread post by CBJ »

DukeBoy wrote:I just recieved this email through Kickstarter from the creators
Hi Scott,

We wanted to keep you in the loop! We have just hit the 1st week mark and have learned a lot. We wanted to reach out to let you know that we are releasing the Urban Punk deck as its own Kickstarter project. We have taken all suggestions and feedback into consideration and have decided to put the development of the Rule Rebel game on hold for now in order to provide the Urban Punk playing card deck at a lower goal and pledge structure as requested by our backers. We wanted to reach out to thank you for your initial support and feedback with our 1st project and felt we should keep you in the loop on this update. It has been a busy couple of days on executing this new update and seeing if it is feasible. It was a tough decision to put the Rule Rebel game on hold but we do feel based on our backers feedback that a refocus was in order. We are currently waiting for approval from Kickstarter. Keep your eye out for the official update from us once we get approval. Thanks again for your involvement in our 1st Kickstarter!

UnCommon Beat
I am hopeful that this will come back out and be a better fit for me and others.

Scott

Hey guys, I spoke with the creator of this deck earlier today. The current K/S project will be taken down 1-2 days after the new one is launched. I have the link to the new K/S project, but was asked to not share it yet. I'm asking that no one posts the link until everything gets approved by KS

CBJ
CBJ

Are you a Bicycle collector? Come join the Facebook group: www.BicycleCardCollectors.com
neongrey

Oh, cool. I'll look forward to seeing it, then.
MJF

Unread post by MJF »

If they lower the prices and clean up the design some more, I'll definitely reconsider this deck... :)
malanthrax

Unread post by malanthrax »

CBJ thats good news. Prices on the last couple decks being released have been nothing short of...odd. I will get these if they drop to a normal price for SURE!
Sharpie

Unread post by Sharpie »

I'm in!
No matter where you go... there you are :|
cosmicsecret
Cardist: Yes
Magician: Yes
Decks Owned: 140

Unread post by cosmicsecret »

Fingers crossed! A 3 deck bundle with shipping for internationals included would be great as a pledge option :-)
CBJ

Unread post by CBJ »

"Update on the Deck!...They arrived! They look fantastic! And we'll be sending an update tomorrow with photos! Stay tuned :)

Your Team,

UnCommonBeat"

KS: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/819 ... ying-cards" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And here are the original pics that were lost during the transition ...

CBJ
CBJ

Are you a Bicycle collector? Come join the Facebook group: www.BicycleCardCollectors.com
CBJ

Unread post by CBJ »

Update with pictures of the printed decks...

"Hi Everyone!

Exciting news!!! We have the decks and they look fantastic with sharp details, rich texture, and vibrant colors from the cement background to the pop of color on the face cards. Tiffany, Ashley, Kurt and the whole team at the United States Playing Card Company did an amazing job to bring the Urban Punk deck to life through their dedication spending hours on press to get the colors as bright as possible to the level of detail and attention they provided throughout the whole process in making sure deck was a success. We are so impressed and appreciative with their knowledgeable insight, flexibility, and effective results. Take a look!

The cement texture on the cards combined with the Bicycle grade stock, air-cushioned finish really creates a refined effect. It brings the cement feeling to life allowing you to almost feel the chips, cracks, and grain of the wall.

We wanted to share a few photos of the deck...but don’t worry, we won’t be showing anything you have not seen in the mock-ups already ;)…we did not want to spoil your enjoyment of opening the brand new deck for the first time. Check'em out!

That's it for now - you will all just need to wait until you get your own decks to see the rest :)

We're now in the process of sorting, packaging, labeling etc. but we will send an update before we start shipping next week. Please make sure to send us updated shipping information as soon as possible. We still have golden yellow dice available per our previous update #17 so send us a note if you are interested....And if you want to get your hands on a few more decks before we ship...shoot us a note and we can send a paypal link!

Thanks again for making this deck a reality!

Your Team,

UnCommon Beat"

CBJ
CBJ