The Durak Deck - Kickstarter

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
badpete69
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Decks Owned: 1500

The Durak Deck - Kickstarter

Unread post by badpete69 »

MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
Cardist: Yes
Magician: Yes
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Re: Another Kickstarter Deck Durak

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki
Evan

Unread post by Evan »

For some odd reason, I actually really like the court cards! I wish there was a pic that showed the back design, though.
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin

Evan wrote:For some odd reason, I actually really like the court cards!
It looks like they're holding iphones :|
- Tom

Check out my collection

badpete69
Decks Owned: 1500

Unread post by badpete69 »

Magik

I think this deck is based on a iphone game and you can get that game as part of the rewards. So I am pretty sure they are holding Iphones
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin

That explains it then :roll:
- Tom

Check out my collection

DukeBoy
Decks Owned: 100

Unread post by DukeBoy »

There is only one design for each of the court cards. Unless you count the face that the image is flip so they are looking the other way, and minor color changes.
10-4 over and out
neongrey

Unread post by neongrey »

I like the coloured edges, but not anything else. Oh well.
Sharpie

Unread post by Sharpie »

neongrey wrote:I like the coloured edges, but not anything else. Oh well.
How are they ever going to maintain those edges evenly, around all the cards?
USPCC Quality Control ain't that good. :?
No matter where you go... there you are :|
malanthrax

Unread post by malanthrax »

That is an insane edge. I thought ours was "pushing it"
neongrey

I said I liked it, I didn't say I thought it was feasible :)
Paul Middleton
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Unread post by Paul Middleton »

I've seem some amazing works over recent times come out of Kickstarter - without KS we wouldn't have some of the decks around today, but; does this company really need to use KS to get this deck going?

From what I gather their iOS game is fairly successful and it looks to me that they have gone down this route as they have seen the success other companies have had in using this as a way of marketing rather than funding - but I could be off the mark.
www.JPGAMESltd.co.uk
----------------------------------------------
EXCLUSIVE OFFERS FOR UC MEMBERS
Encarded
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Encarded »

Sharpie wrote:
neongrey wrote:I like the coloured edges, but not anything else. Oh well.
How are they ever going to maintain those edges evenly, around all the cards?
USPCC Quality Control ain't that good. :?
I think the answer is quite simple, they won't. From the looks of it, they have less than 2mm of red around the edges. it is a great idea and looks super cool in mockups, but I would be stunned if it is producible. I could easily foresee entire card edges having no red at all.

I had a "border" easily 2-3x thicker than that for Tendril and USPCC freaked and asked me to make it larger. I did, and even then we ran across a few decks with rather lopsided border widths.
Paul Carpenter
Designer - http://encarded.com

Radia | Celestial | Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall / Standards / Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out
neongrey

JPMiddleton wrote:I've seem some amazing works over recent times come out of Kickstarter - without KS we wouldn't have some of the decks around today, but; does this company really need to use KS to get this deck going?

From what I gather their iOS game is fairly successful and it looks to me that they have gone down this route as they have seen the success other companies have had in using this as a way of marketing rather than funding - but I could be off the mark.
Need is an interesting word... they probably have the funds for it, sure, but kickstarter is a pretty good way of seeing if people will even be interested in a side-thing like that. Designing cards isn't what they do, but to see if it would be worthwhile to offer to their fans? I think it's a plenty legitimate usage of the service. Now, if only the deck actually looked good, rather than just having a couple of interesting ideas and not going anywhere with them...
Paul Middleton
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Unread post by Paul Middleton »

neongrey wrote:
JPMiddleton wrote:I've seem some amazing works over recent times come out of Kickstarter - without KS we wouldn't have some of the decks around today, but; does this company really need to use KS to get this deck going?

Need is an interesting word... they probably have the funds for it, sure, but kickstarter is a pretty good way of seeing if people will even be interested in a side-thing like that. Designing cards isn't what they do, but to see if it would be worthwhile to offer to their fans? I think it's a plenty legitimate usage of the service. Now, if only the deck actually looked good, rather than just having a couple of interesting ideas and not going anywhere with them...
Yeah - put like that I can't disagree. I guess if I ran their business I would consider it also... and yes, I also agree with the last comment unfortunately.
www.JPGAMESltd.co.uk
----------------------------------------------
EXCLUSIVE OFFERS FOR UC MEMBERS
TheDISRUPTIVE

Unread post by TheDISRUPTIVE »

Hi Everyone!

My company and I launched this Kickstarter yesterday and came by this forum late last night. After reading through the critical, but helpful reviews we have decided to remove the red border on the front of the cards. We got in contact with our sales rep at USPCC and were told that the red border will in fact be either cut off entirely, or printed unevenly.

Thanks for bringing that to our attention.

The Disruptive Team
MJF

Unread post by MJF »

MagikFingerz wrote:
Evan wrote:For some odd reason, I actually really like the court cards!
It looks like they're holding iphones :|
Because if Apple needs anything more, it would be advertising and product placement... If I see another reference in modern culture I think I'm gonna puke... :roll:
TheDISRUPTIVE

DURAK Limited Edition, Premium Playing Cards on Kickstarter

Hello UnitedCardists,

We've read your comments and concerns in the original thread ( http://unitedcardists.com/viewtopic.php ... URAK#p3597 ) and wanted to thank you for your kind words and feedback. We would also like to update you on our latest developments and explain some of our decisions:

• We did in fact have to remove the thin red border. After speaking with USPCC and doing some research, it's clear that USPCC cannot cut that close to the edge without quality issues. We're bummed too...

• The deck is 52 cards because we didn't want to limit the number of games you can play. DURAK is played with different rules and numbers of cards depending on where you are in the World. We do want to encourage people to play DURAK (really, it's the best card game) but we love to play poker as much as the next guy.

• If you've ever played our DURAK app, you'll recognize the court cards. We thought it would be cool to see a modern queen listening to her favorite song or a king playing on his phone. You don't see many people carrying around swords these days!

We're here for you if you have any more questions. Let's get this kickstarter backed!

Russell

Unread post by Russell »

Merged the two topics into one.
MJF

Re: The Durak Deck - Kickstarter

Unread post by MJF »

Is it just me, or might we have another Black Tie scenario on our hands? Take a look at the activity on Nov 20th... More than double any other day... looks like someone possibly mistyped their pledge amount... The numbers just don't add up, if you count the number of pledges they have in each bucket... or am I just missing something?

http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/410872 ... hart-daily" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Russell

Unread post by Russell »

Another question is, why haven't they updated their pics? They are still showing the red borders, which is a fantastic selling point... If it were real.

Another abandoned KS project, pull your pledges just in case this is funded by the mistake pointed out above. The last post by the creator was 3 weeks ago!
MJF

Unread post by MJF »

Ok, so this project JUST hit its funding...

http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/410872 ... hart-daily

I'm pretty sure the amounts on 11-20 and 11-26 are "wrong pledge amounts"... and now we've officially got another Black Tie incident

I'll see if there's any response from the creators, if not within 48 hrs, I'm pulling my pledge.
Strag
White Whale: None
Decks Owned: 0

Unread post by Strag »

Personally I'd suggest you pull it now. Lack of communication combined with strange funding = bad project. I'd be shocked if this project was funded "legitimately"
TheDISRUPTIVE

Hi All,

We have some amazing friends and family that pulled together over the holiday to help us reach our goal. We can confirm that the pledges are not in error.

We're getting ready to print now!

We've been working on the cards and will post an updated design and new photos today.

Thanks,
The Disruptive Team
MJF

Unread post by MJF »

Funding was just suspended for this project. :roll:
vjose32

Unread post by vjose32 »

MJF wrote:Funding was just suspended for this project. :roll:
Care to comment Disruptive?
Russell

Unread post by Russell »

According to the FAQ Suspension means the project is over and nobody will be charged money. It is also irreversible, I guess they can try again later unless they violated some major TOS.
CBJ
Decks Owned: 2000

Unread post by CBJ »

well... it's cancelled.

http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/410872 ... hart-daily" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I wonder what they did wrong??? It's add to see a deck get taken down after the funding goal.

the last one I remember was that Lego Bicycle deck
CBJ

Are you a Bicycle collector? Come join the Facebook group: www.BicycleCardCollectors.com
Strag
White Whale: None
Decks Owned: 0

Unread post by Strag »

CBJ wrote:well... it's cancelled.

http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/410872 ... hart-daily" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I wonder what they did wrong??? It's add to see a deck get taken down after the funding goal.

the last one I remember was that Lego Bicycle deck
I've seen a few other projects take that kind of hit. It has to be for violating the KS ToS. In this case, I would believe it would be because they were self-funding or something close to it, since they took in a couple VERY large pledges right before the end. Those pledges weren't possible based on any existing level they had, so either someone was buying huge volume (which is against KS ToS) or someone (them) was dumping money into it to help it fund (most likely). Better suspended than funding and having to refund people. Tends to screw International contributors when that happens.
MJF

Unread post by MJF »

Here's what one of the apparent project managers had to say
Andrey Kondratyuk 4 days ago

Hi Everyone,

This is Andrey from Disruptive. We haven't heard back from Kickstarter yet with any additional information – we're just as startled by this as you are. As soon as we find out why the project was suspended we hope to get it back up or start a new project.

We're sorry to let you down. In the future we will work harder to post more updates and make sure we don't run into these kinds of issues.

Thanks for your continued support.
My guess, is those two huge ass pledges were obtained in a way that violates the TOS... private pledging maybe? No idea, I've never read their TOS...