VOTE - Box or Cards?

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.

Which is more important to you?

The design of the box.
19%
The design of the cards.
81%

Total votes: 48

Russell

VOTE - Box or Cards?

Unread post by Russell »

Which is more important to YOU. I could see an argument for both: collectors like to have a great looking box on their shelves while people who perform magic and cardistry prefer a good looking card.

Vote and shout out your opinion in the comments below.
CBJ
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Decks Owned: 2000

Re: VOTE - Box or Cards?

Unread post by CBJ »

Since I rarely open my decks, I have to go with the tuckbox.
CBJ

Are you a Bicycle collector? Come join the Facebook group: www.BicycleCardCollectors.com
Sinsandman

Unread post by Sinsandman »

Cards
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
Cardist: Yes
Magician: Yes
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

We are collecting playing CARDS, not cardboard boxes.
- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki
cosmicsecret
Cardist: Yes
Magician: Yes
Decks Owned: 140

Unread post by cosmicsecret »

I collect cards but mainly use them to perform with so the design of both count.
I voted for the cards because i use them for magic and cardistry.

The only deck from the past 2 years which actually was top in both categories was :
*drummroll please* The Seasons Set.Period!
Ryric

Unread post by Ryric »

Cards.

The new boxes are really something, but I tend to pull the trigger on a new deck when the face of the cards has some unique design elements that differentiate it. I also like usability to varying degrees. I like to be able to pull out a deck and play a hand with some friends.

Seasons I think is a good example of a deck that looks beautiful in all three phases (box, back and face). Tendril is designed beautifully, not the most usable for some because of the coloring, Americana the font style for the numbers is a bit difficult (at least for my in-laws :? ) but otherwise it is a very usable deck.

I think Aurum has the potential to be another good example of hitting all three phases.
phantom1412

Unread post by phantom1412 »

Both : LoL

Cards and boxes must go together.
However if I have to choose I'll choose cards.
We all see the white centurions. Nice deck in white box.
No one is gonna a white plain deck for over 100$ no matter how beautiful the box is.
Encarded
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Encarded »

FORCED to pick, I choose cards because I open my decks and play with them. However there is truly no reason on God's green earth why you can't have both. It just takes a little more desire and effort by the designer! You can make a beautiful box with all the fancy features, also put cool custom cards in them, and make the whole thing usable and fun.

That was my goal with Aurum, going to luxurious extremes in boxes and cards but also maintaining complete usability. Hopefully folks agree and enjoy both looking at them and playing with them.
Paul Carpenter
Designer - http://encarded.com

Radia | Celestial | Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall / Standards / Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out
Russell

Unread post by Russell »

Like most everyone else here I want both to look great, but I voted for cards. I do have a real follow up question...

Do you REALLY want better card design over tuck box design?

I ask because many of the people saying they are 'cards' fans have been buying decks with STANDARD facers for over $100 a deck. Some examples recently are: Gold Crown and LTD*, both of which have 'standard' faces and a fantastic box. Ignoring the cost, everyone here wanted them. There are a few other decks that have been much sought after even though they have completely standard faces but have a great tuckbox.

Really think about why you like a deck and what drew you to it. Was it the hype? The 'limited' factor? The amazing tuck box? or did you really like the card design?

Again, I am a card guy, I like the designs of the faces and back art. I have opened every deck I have purchased.

----------------
* Don't get me wrong, I love both of those decks too!
DelMagic

Unread post by DelMagic »

Regarding paying for standard faces - As a magician, I prefer standard faces so that cards from various decks can be mixed and matched in routines. I care mainly about the back, though I can appreciate interesting faces. The Seasons decks are awesome and my all-time favorite. However, I would appreciate them even if they had standard faces since it was the back that originally had me drooling. If they had standard faces I would have bought just the same amount.

Black, off-white, aged, or otherwise colored faces certainly look nice, but they really hinder many magic tricks. At times they can be helpful, but overall I'd say non-white faces make the decks less useful for magic. Super Backs Rule!

As for boxes, I'd love to see a non-dingable/dentable box that still looked like a typical tuck box. That would allow it to be useful for many magic effects and offer super protection.
neongrey

Unread post by neongrey »

Even as a new collector with no real manipulation skills yet, my primary interest is in cards with unusual designs. A well-designed box is a wonderful thing, and can certainly be enticing, but what attracted me in the first place to collecting was the look of full custom decks. I just don't personally find anything especially interesting about standard faces.
Evan

Unread post by Evan »

I voted for the cards. While I like having a nice box, having nice looking cards is more important to me.
Collector

Unread post by Collector »

No comments, just one obvious vote.
dazzleguts
White Whale: Das Kartenspiel Des Oberdeutsc
Decks Owned: 885

Unread post by dazzleguts »

The cards. There is no box that could have got me started collecting cards, but there are many decks.
Worldwide Time Machine

"Cards from far off lands and bygone days!"
max
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Unread post by max »

I have a curious feeling. I like the decks for the cards but I don't open my decks... So I enjoy a lot the boxes.

wouldn't know what to choose, Russell

I think about it every day... :mrgreen:
PlayingCardz
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Unread post by PlayingCardz »

Come on! We don't open some decks to keep them in perfect condition, not because we like the box...
Online magic playing cards shop : http://www.playingcardz.net 5% off your entire order using the coupon code UNITED
Shipping worldwide, Free to the european union and Switzerland if your order is > $200
And to the rest of the world if your order is > ~$400!!!
badpete69
Decks Owned: 1500

Unread post by badpete69 »

PlayingCardz wrote:Come on! We don't open some decks to keep them in perfect condition, not because we like the box...
What he said
Dr.Kardster

Unread post by Dr.Kardster »

Cards. I practice cardistry and card magic so I need something that will serve my needs =D

If there was an option for both I will choose this instead!
elcyciB

Unread post by elcyciB »

Encarded wrote:FORCED to pick, I choose cards because I open my decks and play with them. However there is truly no reason on God's green earth why you can't have both. It just takes a little more desire and effort by the designer! You can make a beautiful box with all the fancy features, also put cool custom cards in them, and make the whole thing usable and fun.

That was my goal with Aurum, going to luxurious extremes in boxes and cards but also maintaining complete usability. Hopefully folks agree and enjoy both looking at them and playing with them.

Pretty much summed up what I was thinking in the opening line. "I choose cards because I open my decks and play with them"
malanthrax

Unread post by malanthrax »

The boxes grab me at times. But the cards keep me.
I know we have spent more time on the tuckbox than I ever thought imaginable in my wildest dreams. They certainly do require a different thought and design process in every way from the cards. I think thats why we see so many come out where one or the other is lackluster.
anep

Unread post by anep »

as a collector, box is more important. if people like cards more, they will open the rare decks and i think a lot of collectors did not open them.

take the black ghost for example. i think people will pay more to buy black ghost 2nd edition cards in black ghost 1st edition box rather than the opposite. so this shows that the box is more important/valuable than the cards
dazzleguts
White Whale: Das Kartenspiel Des Oberdeutsc
Decks Owned: 885

Unread post by dazzleguts »

Actually I wouldn't buy either mixed set of box and cards unless it was cheap. I have a UV500 black tiger that I picked up at a second hand store. The box is worn but whole, and the cards are all there and mint, so I am happy to have it.
Worldwide Time Machine

"Cards from far off lands and bygone days!"
lumpyliew

Unread post by lumpyliew »

I would be in the middle I guess... I usually have two of the same deck . One to open and another to keep sealed and display .. So both designs on cards and box must be "appealing"
Don't Worry , Be Happy Cheers!
DukeBoy
Decks Owned: 100

Unread post by DukeBoy »

Howdy all,
I am more of a card guy myself. But I have to admit I have a very collective personality. If I start to collect anything then it goes overboard as fast as my wallet will open. I have started to make sure I pick up atleast 2 decks of each design (3 if multiple back colors). 1 to play with/look at the other to sit in the collection and pay for retirement :lol: . With the Asylum Deck on KS I only got the 1 for the collection because I hated the card design but I was in love with the maiden on the box. To me the two styles of art did not match up. I do not think that the reverse could happen. If they put a fantastic deck in a plane white box with "playing cards" on it I would still buy the 2 decks.

10-4 over and out.
10-4 over and out
MJF

Unread post by MJF »

I need a third option... BOTH

Too many times most of the effort is spent on the Tuck Box and the cards aren't even customized... It's a total let down, even if I'm never going to open a deck.