It's been a week - Creature Cards Live on Kickstarter

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
badpete69
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Decks Owned: 1500

It's been a week - Creature Cards Live on Kickstarter

Unread post by badpete69 »

New deck available

MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
Cardist: Yes
Magician: Yes
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Re: It's been a week - Creature Cards Live on Kickstarter

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

Not my cup of tea. Looks neat for those who like that kind of artwork though.
- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki
neongrey

Unread post by neongrey »

Yeah, it's definitely more my speed. Thanks for the heads-up!
Strag
White Whale: None
Decks Owned: 0

Unread post by Strag »

High cost of deck + high international shipping = no sale for this guy.

I just did a recap of all the KS decks I have bought. My average cost (including shipping) runs about $10 per deck at an average of 3 decks. This might be considered a good guideline for designers thinking about KS going forward.

-Strag
Strag

Unread post by Strag »

Strag wrote:High cost of deck + high international shipping = no sale for this guy.

I just did a recap of all the KS decks I have bought. My average cost (including shipping) runs about $10 per deck at an average of 3 decks. This might be considered a good guideline for designers thinking about KS going forward.

-Strag
Actually I did the math wrong. Can do 4 decks for $40 shipped so they got me. :)
Collector

Unread post by Collector »

"Once our funding is gathered, Michael Clarke will begin work finishing the art and layout of the cards. Backers will be included in every step of this process and get to see the creative process at work. Only when we're 100% happy that we've got the most beautiful deck of monster cards ever produced, will then will the order be sent for printing. Once the print run is finished, all the backers will receive their merchandise."

Look at our draft (only 8 cards), give us hard earned money and in case of a big amount of money we’ll start to work. The process of perversion of Kickstarter is going on.
Russell

Unread post by Russell »

They might want to send in a few cards first to get the 'art' approved. The layout they have now will not be printed correctly.

Also, that back design looks familiar...
same copy.jpg
kennyhughes

Unread post by kennyhughes »

Russell wrote:They might want to send in a few cards first to get the 'art' approved. The layout they have now will not be printed correctly.

same copy.jpg
That's what I first thought when I saw the back!

Why won't they print correctly? I'm a card noobie :-p
Russell

Unread post by Russell »

They are WAY to close to the edge, some decks will look good, other will be off-center.

While I appriciate the art and the talent and time it takes... finish the design before taking my money.
PlayingCardz
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Unread post by PlayingCardz »

Russell wrote:They might want to send in a few cards first to get the 'art' approved. The layout they have now will not be printed correctly.

same copy.jpg
I thought I was the only one thinking the exact same thing ...
Online magic playing cards shop : http://www.playingcardz.net 5% off your entire order using the coupon code UNITED
Shipping worldwide, Free to the european union and Switzerland if your order is > $200
And to the rest of the world if your order is > ~$400!!!
neongrey

Collector wrote:"Once our funding is gathered, Michael Clarke will begin work finishing the art and layout of the cards. Backers will be included in every step of this process and get to see the creative process at work. Only when we're 100% happy that we've got the most beautiful deck of monster cards ever produced, will then will the order be sent for printing. Once the print run is finished, all the backers will receive their merchandise."

Look at our draft (only 8 cards), give us hard earned money and in case of a big amount of money we’ll start to work. The process of perversion of Kickstarter is going on.
Looks like the artist is contracted, so they'd need to pay to get the full set done. Seems to have a proven track record, but more in the RPG industry than on cards, which is probably why all of this scans okay to me, but less so to you guys. I am a bit concerned by the length of delay between KS completion and delivery time but if they're using the KS to fully fund the artist it's a suitable explanation for me.

The draft back uses the same colour scheme as the Cthulhu cards and drawn in a similar style but it doesn't seem to be using any of the same visual elements at all.

I suspect they're approaching it more from the angle of being RPG publishers than card guys, because everything looks in order from that angle.
gdmcbride

Unread post by gdmcbride »

Greetings all,

My name is Gary McBride and I am the publisher of Creature Cards. I would love to answer any questions you might have. Regarding a few comments that have already been made...

Most of the art is already finished. If you'd like to see a great deal of it, visit our facebook page. We'll be showcasing a lot more as the kickstarter continues.

The similarity between those two card backs is unintentional and the comment about the border being two small is well taken. I'll forward it along to the artist. I'll note that the back is just a rough so the final art will likely look a little difference.

Anyways, thanks for your interest in Creature Cards. We greatly appreciate the discussion!

Gary McBride
Fire Mountain Games
Russell

Unread post by Russell »

Welcome to the boards, I love hearing from the designers!

Having the artwork finished first and submitted to USPCC before anyone asks for money is crucial. That goes for this project and all others.
kennyhughes

Unread post by kennyhughes »

Does the card back need to be spaced away from the edge too? Making my own deck atm. I'm not planning on doing a kickstarter, but I might get a couple decks printed for myself and friends at a local shop.
Strag

Unread post by Strag »

Looks like this has hit funding with 36 hours to go.
neongrey

I'm glad this made it over the edge, I really like this one.
Evan

Unread post by Evan »

Definitely not a deck for me, but the design is pretty nice!
Strag

Unread post by Strag »

9 hours left.

For those who didn't see; this was the new back design

kc62002

Unread post by kc62002 »

I take a couple months off from looking at any cards and I missed a few kickstarters. Any resellers stocking these?
sprouts1115
Deck Artist
Deck Artist
Decks Owned: 50

Unread post by sprouts1115 »

Greetings all,

Project Update #31

"It's been too long since I posted an update and I apologize for that. It's come from a combination of my personal travel and being swamped trying to get a book out the door.

Regardless, let me clear the air. First, we had some problems with color and sizing of the cards. The art was slightly too close to the edge. The colors were slightly off. I worked with USPC and our artist. The problems, I believe are corrected. The cards will now look exactly like the PDF all of you should have already received. We want these cards to be done right, not hastily rushed out without a proof copy. Yes, it is taking longer than my original estimate. I had not anticipated these problems and just how long they would take to resolve. That is my fault and I take full responsibility for it.

I wanted to wait until I had a precise date for when I would receive the cards, and not just post another "we apologize for the delay" update. But I see now that waiting to update for that date is causing anxiety and anger. That has never been my intent.

Rest assured, the cards are coming. We will get them out the door as quickly as they can once they arrive.

Thank you for your patience and your support.

Gary McBride"
RussellSprouts