New Playing Card Collectors Book

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
musical_racket

New Playing Card Collectors Book

Unread post by musical_racket »

Hey everyone! I have working over the past year and half on a book that is the go to guide for people who want to collect modern playing cards. Unlike the vintage and antique collectors guides, mine is more of a manual about locations, on the fly quality checking, how to care for your cards, and interviews. There is much than that including many pictures and interviews with Tom & Judy Dawson, Lee Asher, Paul Carpenter, Dave Buck, and more.

I'm not here to blatantly promote it, so I don't want you to get that vibe. I am nearing completion as I finish all the photos that I need for the book. My question for everyone here is: Do you guys think I should do a Kickstarter campaign for it? Would anyone even be interested? I am looking forward to hearing everyone's thoughts about this!
Sharpie

Re: New Playing Card Collectors Book

Unread post by Sharpie »

I'd be interested. Let us know your progress.

Note: I've moved the topic for more exposure.
No matter where you go... there you are :|
lolo
Collector: Yes

Unread post by lolo »

musical_racket wrote:I'm not here to blatantly promote it, so I don't want you to get that vibe. I am nearing completion as I finish all the photos that I need for the book. My question for everyone here is: Do you guys think I should do a Kickstarter campaign for it? Would anyone even be interested? I am looking forward to hearing everyone's thoughts about this!
I think doing a kickstarter on this book is a good idea. With a KS campain, you could see if people could be interrested by this.

But the problem is, after 1 or 2 years, it will be outdated... Keeping it updated will be hard. Is in your plan doing this ?
My collection
The French Touch with english grammatical errors copyrighted by myself
chach
Player: Yes
White Whale: Vietnam Era Secret Weapon
Decks Owned: 0

Unread post by chach »

lolo wrote:
musical_racket wrote:I'm not here to blatantly promote it, so I don't want you to get that vibe. I am nearing completion as I finish all the photos that I need for the book. My question for everyone here is: Do you guys think I should do a Kickstarter campaign for it? Would anyone even be interested? I am looking forward to hearing everyone's thoughts about this!
I think doing a kickstarter on this book is a good idea. With a KS campain, you could see if people could be interrested by this.

But the problem is, after 1 or 2 years, it will be outdated... Keeping it updated will be hard. Is in your plan doing this ?

I agree with Lolo 100%. Good idea and I'd be interested, but he's right in that it could be outdated very quickly, you'd have to be careful about that.
WTB/WTT: Vietnam Era Bicycle Secret Weapon Deck
lolo

Unread post by lolo »

Hello,

How is your project now ?
My collection
The French Touch with english grammatical errors copyrighted by myself
Cbkimble
Player: Yes
Decks Owned: 363

Re: New Playing Card Collectors Book (wap)

Unread post by Cbkimble »

You could always do an annual ks, using binder pages instead of a preprinted book, and have the project for both a full set or just the updated set. Sounds like it might be a good project.
Feeding the addiction one deck at a time.
Stockholm17
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer
Decks Owned: 130

Unread post by Stockholm17 »

It´s a good idea :)
maybe with a kickstarter project you have extra chapters/sections with the stretch goals.
amadhatter53
Decks Owned: 512

Unread post by amadhatter53 »

Did anybody ever get anywhere with this idea? I don't know if there are enough collectors to make a successful Kickstarter campaign, though it depends, as they all do, on the cost.

In lieu of a future TBD book, are there any existing books about contemporary playing cards that someone might recommend? All the ones I've been are a lot of ancient history and don't appear to delve into anything remotely modern. Off the top of my head I can think of a ton of interesting things I don't know, but would like to, however that doesn't include monks making cards for extremely wealthy societies a thousand years ago (or something like that).

If someone could recommend something like this, please don't just reply but PM me. Of course where will I get the money to buy this book when I can't stop buying new decks. I don't even want to know how much I've spent on cards in the last 6 months between Kickstarter, eBay, etc.